Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 21:02:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube rolling on input tube vs (Read 2538 times)
ABM
Verified Member

Tube rolling on input tube vs
07/01/22 at 03:49:14

The CSP3 manual states:

"To voice with tubes, we recommend starting with rectifiers. Get yourself three or four different compatible rectifiers to try and settle on a favorite. After the rectifier tube you can then experiment with different input tubes, which is the single 9 pin tube in the front. There remaining two 9 pin tubes are almost always best kept stock (6N1P)."

I've definitely been able to confirm this with rolling the rectifier and input tube. Replacing them makes a huge impact on the sound.
Has anybody experimented with replacing the remaining two 9 pin tubes and their impact on sound?

Thanks

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: Tube rolling on input tube vs
Reply #1 - 07/01/22 at 16:15:01

Hi ABM,  I have been trying different rectifiers and enjoying the process as I have discovered favorites.   I have not attempted other input tubes yet, but I will now.

I have been most pleased with a vintage RCA 80 Cunningham as a rectifier.  Most pleasantly surprised with the RCA 80 GT Shape - the least expensive of my group.

What input tubes are you trying?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/02/22 at 04:42:05

Having had a CSP3 with 25th anniversary mods for several years now, I have tried many different combos of input and rectifier tubes.  My favorites, up until a couple of days ago, were a Sophia Electric 274B Aqua rectifier with various NOS European 6922’s……I think the Amperex and Telefunkens were at the very top of my 6922 favorites list.

The Cryotone 5AR4 and ECC88 arrived this week and were immediately called upon to show what they could do.  There’s no other way to say it—they crush all competitors!  The sense of “live performance” that these two Cryotones bring to the stage is hard to comprehend.  As long as Cryotones are available, that’s what I will be using.  I currently have stock Decware tubes on the output positions, but can’t wait to replace those with Cryotone ECC88-WC’s.  In my system, to my ears, these Cryotones are the best I’ve experienced!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
ABM
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/03/22 at 04:58:17

Thanks Tony and Doug.
I've been using Tung Sol 5Y3G as rectifier and love the sound!
For input tube, I've been alternating stock 6N1P, Telefunken E88CC, and Sylvania 6DJ8.
Doug: is the rectifier you got this one:https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p19/5AR4-WC.html ?
And is the input tube this one: https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p1/ECC88.html ?
Thanks!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 07/03/22 at 15:27:14

ABM,
The rectifier that you asked Doug about:

https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p19/5AR4-WC.html

is one that I have in my SE84UFO, and was recommended by both Steve and Don.  In that same amp, I also have two CryoTone 6P15P.  I am very pleased with SQ.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/03/22 at 21:02:17

ABM said:
Doug: is the rectifier you got this one:https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p19/5AR4-WC.html ?
And is the input tube this one: https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p1/ECC88.html ?

Yes and yes!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
ABM
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/04/22 at 19:46:31

Thanks Doug, you got me interested in these tubes and I've been reading about them.
What's interesting in your post is that they arrived this week and you're already so impressed with them. How many hours did you burn them in?

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/07/22 at 00:59:57

ABM, sorry for the slow response……my three children, their spouses, and our eleven grandchildren have been visiting in our home for several days.  The grand kids range in age from newborn to eleven years old, so I’ve been a little preoccupied.

Regarding tube burn-in, there was none!  This was my impression immediately following installation of the Cryotone tubes.  I feel as if I have a good handle on the sound of the CSP3, and when the two Cryotone tubes lit up for the first time, the CSP3 began making music in a way that I had not previously heard.   Beautiful, warm, highly resolving is the way I hear music through the Cryotones.

The other thing is this; my Western Electric 300B’s surpassed the 500 hour magic burn-in mark this past weekend.  The WE300B’s are extraordinarily special tubes, and they pair perfectly with Cryotones and the rest of my system.  I also have Cryotone 6SN7’s in the input and driver positions in my Cary 300SEI, and they have been burning in for more than 300 hours now.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
ABM
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/09/22 at 20:22:42

Thanks Doug.
Your feedback made very curious: I ordered their rectifier and input tubes for the CSP3 and am eagerly awaiting their arrival.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/09/22 at 23:56:27

ABM, I hope you like them as much as I do.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print