Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 22:26:07 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video (Read 56725 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re:  CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video
Reply #50 - 04/22/22 at 16:04:52

Thanks PDXDrew. Glad your music is so seductive!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 04/22/22 at 21:00:30

Another two weeks to wait for me, what I ordered didn't arrive on the incoming shipment.

Gives me time to break in another Purple fuse in my SACD transport, in my headphone system in my CSP2+ with the Anniversary mods, and in my CSP3 with the Anniversary Mods in the audio/visual system.  The "3 for 2" sale was too hard to resist, it's going on through this month.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 04/23/22 at 11:56:01

After having an all Cryotone tube complement I've decided to take one more step and hopefully end my tube rolling.

The the 12AU7-WCL made such a difference when I installed it in the input position of my CSP3-A with the ECC88-WC in the output that I have decided to roll the Cryotone 12AU7-WCL and the 12AX7-WCM in the CSP3-A and various combinations of those and the ECC88-WC.

I've ordered two more adapters and will be ordering the tubes next.  It'll probably be well into May before I'll come to any kind of conclusion on this part of the Cryotone journey.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 04/23/22 at 17:12:41

Quote:
Reply #52 - Today at 06:56:01  
After having an all Cryotone tube complement I've decided to take one more step and hopefully end my tube rolling.

Ditto, John!

I too hope to finally end my old exceedingly expensive obsession in ancient tubes with a dead end for a bright future in Cryotone. At some point, I want to sell off nearly all of the remainder of the great, ridiculously expensive old stock stuff from the 30's, 40's, and 50's and never look back. You spend $180 on a known beloved antique tube only to watch it die in a year. Those days and that kind of rick needs to be over with. Up to this point, it was the only acceptable alternative in the small tube market....now we have a better alternative and apparently a much longer life with these Wathen tubes.....with high quality right to the end of the tube life, as opposed to decreasing SQ over time and always having to experience that "something missing" as time goes by....this alone is a big deal to me.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 04/28/22 at 16:12:28

Thanks guys.  I just bought an input tube.   It's the first time I have been moved to buy something in quite a while.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 05/02/22 at 13:45:27

I've been following the thread on the development of the 300B amp and Steve made a comment regarding tubes that struck a chord with me (I really did not want to use that pun but there it is):

Not a direct quote...You can get fabulous sound with a pair of $200.00 300B tubes but the ultimate sound with a pair of WE $1,500.00 tubes.

Based on my experience with the Wathen EL84-WC that's the exact comparison that I would make with difference that EL84-WC make to the UFO25: You can get fabulous sound with a pair of $52.00 6P15P-EV tubes but the ultimate sound with a pair of $216.00 EL84-WC.

In other words, the Wathen EL84-WC are to the UFO25 what the WE 300B are to the 300B amp.  In that case the EL-84-WC are a screaming deal.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #56 - 05/05/22 at 22:49:39

My Cryotone 6SN7 are finally in and shipped. Next week I'll get to see if there is something to fuss about in all the fuss.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #57 - 05/06/22 at 04:44:44

I have been using the Cryotone ECC88-WC input tubes in the 300B amp and comparing to the original 6N6P which should be the far superior tube and usually is, but the Cryotone has better resolution.

BTW,  I sent Don my personal UFO25 amplifier so he can use it to fine tune his process on the 6P15P output tubes.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 05/06/22 at 17:43:52

Just received three Cryotone 6SN7-WC tubes from
Wathen Audiophile!

In a few minutes my 300B amp will be fitted exclusively with Western Electric and Cryotone!  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 05/06/22 at 21:20:24

Ok, I can confirm that Cryotone 6SN7 tubes are the best 6SN7’s I’ve ever used, and I’ve used all kinds of NOS and current production 6SN7’s going back through the mid 1990’s.  These Wathen tubes are the perfect compliment to the Western Electric 300B’s.  

It’s a great day to be an American audiophile!!!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #60 - 05/06/22 at 22:08:57

Interesting. Good to know. I'll find out soon.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 05/07/22 at 22:44:15

Lon,

Looking forward to your impressions of the Cryotone 6SN7. All in goodtime sir.

Thank you

Doug,

That's good news to hear. Glad you like them.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #62 - 05/07/22 at 22:58:16

The 6SN7 have been in my system for four hours now. Not a long time. I sat down about fifteen minutes ago to give them a second listening and tailor the sound around them a little.

They are very impressive tubes. They are NOT yet my favorite input tubes on the Monoblocks. I still prefer the RCA Gray Glass for their fantastic "tone"--they just have a richness to the tonal textures and a tinge of warmth to the tonal frequency that the Cryotone lack. . . yet. . . so far. I know it's very early in their placement and seasoning. The Cryotone do however add just a smidgeon more depth to the sound and a dash more macrodynamic contrast--two things that help bring a splash more "realism" to the presentation.

I also recently have been enthralled with an unlikely pair of input tubes that I got the converter bases for recently: Amperex pinched waist 7062. These almost seem at this point like a fusion of the two 6SN7, with a great tonal character and also the great subtle improvements that the Cryotone brings in stage depth and micro-dynamics.

I'm going to leave the Cryotone in and give the Monoblocks as much "powered on" time as I can the rest of the weekend.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #63 - 05/07/22 at 23:47:24

Lon said:

I also recently have been enthralled with an unlikely pair of input tubes that I got the converter bases for recently: Amperex pinched waist 7062. These almost seem at this point like a fusion of the two 6SN7...

Previously you mentioned how much you like the Amerex 7062 in the ZRock.  Where exactly are you placing it in the reference above?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #64 - 05/07/22 at 23:51:36

As input tubes for the Monoblocks with 12xx7 to 6922 converter bases. I have three of these tubes so I can use them in these two positions and in the ZROCK2 (one just won't come out of my ZROCK2).

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 05/08/22 at 04:43:12

Cryotone 300B-WC tubes are now available from Wathen Audiophile.  I would love to try a pair and compare them to my Western Electric 300B’s, but that is not financially feasible currently.

The Cryotone 300B-WC tubes run $966 for a perfectly matched pair.  

Steve, has Don sent a pair of these to you?  I’m sure that all those folks interested in your 300B amp will also be extremely interested in your take on the Cryotone 300B-WC tubes.  Can we count on your judgement any time soon?

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
Giggsy
Verified Member

Reply #66 - 05/08/22 at 23:09:10

I'd be curious if the 300B is hanging filament ala WE or coil like EH.
In my limited experience hanging filament is far superior.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 05/08/22 at 23:44:12

Seems they are JJ 300Bs at nearly three times the price. I am not sure if these are hanging filaments or not. . . but they don't seem to be.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #68 - 05/09/22 at 13:31:52

With more hours on my 6SN7-WC I can understand why people have fallen for these tubes. They DO present more detail, especially in ambiance and finer textural elements.

But for me. . . they're bright and bass-shy. Which is how JJ tubes have sounded to me outside the Cryotone world. I'm tuning all my tricks to try to get past the edge of high frequencies I hear and eliminate what I hear as "clanginess" due to this. Some success. Maybe more time on the tubes will bring out a little more bass and cure some of this edge. . . but my history with tube break-in tells me I'm likely to still hear a bit more of this than I can settle down in to.

Here's hoping. I really do want to like these.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 05/10/22 at 19:26:02

Yesterday I received the Wathen 12AU7 and the ECC88.  As I've written elsewhere, after 4 hours I found the sound to be aggressive and edgy.  Much more than my stock CSP3 tubes and a 1960's Mazda 12AU7 in the ZR2.

For those of you who speak so glowingly about the Wathen tubes, how many hours of break in should I give them before reaching a conclusion?  At how many hours do you feel they reached their normal Wathen house sound?

I so want to hear what you guys have described.  But so far, no dice.

And can I break them in just by leaving the units on?  Or must music be playing?

Thanks

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 05/10/22 at 20:48:41

Do these tubes take a while to ship?  On day 12 and haven't shipped yet.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 05/10/22 at 20:57:35

Mine took 2 weeks to ship and their communication about the process was not up to modern day standards in that they initially stated they would ship within 5 days yet gave no updates regarding the delay.

I did eventually email them and they apologized and said they would ship later in the week, and they did indeed ship.

I have a call into Wathen regarding their thoughts on break in time.  Awaiting a call back.

We've seen this movie before.  Small boutique company has unexpected exposure resulting in 10 times more orders than normal leading to delays.  Soon Wathen will have a 3 year waitlist as well...

Grin

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 05/10/22 at 21:30:57

Break-in is an actual thing. I strongly recommend allowing any tube 200 hours of break-in, playing a wide variety of styles in addition to the type of music you enjoy, and at varying volumes in addition to your normal listening volume.

Then, and only then, would I be able to make a fair comparison to other tubes that have already been burned in my system. Simply plugging a new tube in for a couple of hours, then believing it sucks seems awful silly to me....because I may be right, it may suck right now, but in a couple hundred hours, it may sound sublime.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 05/10/22 at 21:38:44

Ghostship: Well, in my admittedly limited tube experience, a new tube has sounded good from the beginning and gotten better as it broke in.  This is the first time I had a tube sound off-putting from the starting gun.  This is contrasted by a number of posts in this thread saying the Wathen tubes sound great after a few hours.  Following your logic, it would be possible for a tube to sound good at first and then sour as it broke in.  If breaking in is indeed real, then there ought be no guarantee that time will be kind.

But I shall give it more time and see.  The break in process will have to move the needle quite a ways to enter my green zone, but perhaps it will.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 05/10/22 at 23:03:45

It seems you are far more interested in arguing than actually benefitting from the experiences of those contributing in these forums...I am not the only one that has no time for that.

In my experience, I have never, ever heard a brand new tube sound "amazing" without a realistic break-in period. They always sound better with time, unless they were cheaply made and thus become unusable.

For instance, I am currently using NOS Sylvania 6SN7 GTBs and brand-new PSVANE CV-181T T-Collection tubes in my Schiit Freya+ pre amp. If I were like you and formed an opinion of these tubes' quality after a couple of hours of use, I would have flamed the forums sullying the name of the seller of the NOS tubes and China-Hifi-Audio and PSVane because they both sounded like crap.

But, I was given two ears and one mouth, so I choose to use them in that ratio...thus I was pleasantly surprised that the combination of those tubes after 200 hours of break-in sounds utterly amazing.

Also, your system may suck. Your room may suck. Who knows why you're not hearing what others claim to hear.

My point remains valid: before you pass judgment on tubes, allow them to break in first.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 05/10/22 at 23:16:42

Sorry, but I am not seeing 'Dancing' being that argumentative.  Just stating his experience and asking for input.

I personally have had tubes sound great right off the bat and some sound edgy.  I wait to pass judgement on both.  How many hours?  I always lose track.  But I have had some "now those really sound good" moments.

I'll weigh in on this brand once I get the input tube I ordered and get a chance to listen.  

I also trust Lon's ears (I have bought gear from him) and will be interested to hear how his opinion evolves...good or bad.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 05/11/22 at 00:22:29

Ghostship wrote:

Quote:
It seems you are far more interested in arguing than actually benefitting from the experiences of those contributing in these forums...I am not the only one that has no time for that.

You made a point characterizing my honest experience as "silly".  I countered your point by pointing out a hole in your logic.  Why is your attack deemed ok, and my counter point deemed "argumentative".  You took a swipe at me first sir.

I challenge you to a pistol duel at dawn.  Good Day!

Cheesy  

Anyway, back on track.  I just got off the phone with Don Thomas.  What a great guy.  Super knowledgeable and a reader of our forum (Aloha Don!).  He shared that his tubes will break-in some, but not as much as tubes that experience more of a break-in bloom.  He said those break-in blooming tubes often don't last very long, while his tubes have great longevity.  His primary business is providing tubes to large companies like Pixar where longevity & sonic consistency are key.

He knew my 1960 Mazda tube and said that yes, his tubes will be different and have more of an edge to them than a NOS tube.  He said that 100 - 200 hours of break-in ought to bring the Cryotone tube somewhere in between where it is now and my Mazda, that some of the edge should soften, but not nearly as soft as the Mazda or stock Russian 6n1P.  That it purposefully won't become as warm as the Mazda.  That the Mazda softness comes from noise, and once that noise is removed, the tube becomes more transparent and to give my brain time to adjust to hearing more information.  

He advised to dial the CSP3 output gain back a touch, that it should not be set in the same place that it was for the Mazda.

He said to give Cryotone a couple of weeks to see if I like it.  If not, he's happy to offer me different tubes in exchange, or a refund if it's just not right for me.

Hard to argue with that.

As for you naysayers, I have a broken bottle in hand and am reading for all-comers!

Smiley

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 05/11/22 at 01:04:32

Ghostship said:

Quote:
For instance, I am currently using NOS Sylvania 6SN7 GTBs and brand-new PSVANE CV-181T T-Collection tubes in my Schiit Freya+ pre amp. If I were like you and formed an opinion of these tubes' quality after a couple of hours of use, I would have flamed the forums sullying the name of the seller of the NOS tubes and China-Hifi-Audio and PSVane because they both sounded like crap.

Brand-new Psvane cv-181t super bright and every note had an outline around them..... Now is an outstanding tube!

How long to break-in, how many on - off cycles? Dont know for sure but it wasn't over night.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 05/11/22 at 01:50:12

DancingSea,

Thanks for sharing you experience. Your conversation with Don Thomas is fascinating. I keyed in on the part about longevity and sonic consistency.

Welcome to tube rolling. Once in awhile come up to the surface and look around. Lol the fun has just started.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 05/11/22 at 04:07:58

jec3504 - thanks, I shall!

I encouraged Don to post in the forum. He knows a ton about tubes.  He wasn’t sure if it was kosher for him to post.  I said please do, that way at least one of us will know what he’s talking about   Wink

He said Pixar was only getting 6 months out of their previous tubes under heavy usage.  Now they get 3 years out of CryoTone.  Also that his cryogenic treatment is vastly different than the typical cryo treatment.  So different as to not warrant the same name of treatment.

He used to work for Dell, but left 10 years ago to pursue his passion for audio. He designs amps and it was challenging, if not impossible, to acquire consistent tube quality in bulk.  NOS or otherwise.  Even if good sounding tubes were found, that good sound often didn’t last very long. And hence CryoTone was born.

From what I gather CryoTone shifts the needle in the less euphonic, and more transparent direction.  Once I get 100 hours of break-in complete, I’ll tinker with the ZRock’s treble attenuation and see where that goes.  I’m very much the euphonic type, and only trust transparency to a certain extent.  Hear that transparency, I’ve got my eye on you!!!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 05/11/22 at 14:24:53

Hey John, how long have you been listening to music on a good system? I only ask this because as time goes by, usually one appreciates less noise [euphony] and more truth to the recording.....more specifically, tonal accuracy with a small dollop of warmth.

By the way, what Don told you is exactly why I've been dumping a large percentage of the remainder of my inventory in favor of a significantly reduced and far better inventory.

Brad

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 05/11/22 at 17:48:38

Aloha Brad!  I offer you the secret communist handshake, good to see you comrade. Your undercover work with the fascist is inspiring.

Cheesy

I bought a YBA integrated, Meadowlark Audio speakers, Ah! Tjeob CD 4000 with DH Labs cables in 1999.  Had that for about 17 years while not yet contracting the audiophile virus.  Never once thought of upgrading anything, didn’t know that’s something people did in the ways audiophiles do.

In 2016 I wanted to understand more about what a DAC is.  Google led me to Computer Audiophile.  Within 6 months I had subscribed to Stereophile and TAS and the upgrade madness had begun, Sonus Faber, Hegel, Border Patrol, Decware, Magnepan, Duelund and PS Audio.

My time with the DirectStream Junior led me into a world in which its designer, Ted Smith, feverishly pursued low noise in the pursuit of transparency.  With each of his updates, noise was lowered, transparency improved, and another swath of my long time favorite CDs became unlistenable as their flaws became more apparent.  Yes, Norah Jones DSDs sounded incredible, but at a great library price.

I discussed this with Ted and he said that his goal was transparency and that he experienced the same thing as me, but that it was a necessary sacrifice to achieve ultimate resolution. He said it is was not possible to design a DAC that played both A+ and B grade recordings well. It was one or the other.

Eventually yet another DirectStream update came and I had had enough.  A degree of transparency was welcomed, but going too far down that road did not meet my sonic goals.  I tired of listening to the same A+ recordings over and over.  I missed the common folks.

Sold the DirectStream Junior at a profit and bought a Border Patrol R2R DAC. Loved it!  But it did not play DSD, and I have a large DSD collection.  Sold it and bought the Marantz SACD 30n, which is amazing.  Love it’s disc playing ability so much that I bought spindles of Taiyo Yuden blank CDs and DVDs and burned all my favorite album files to disc. I spent months doing that.  Now I listen 90% to discs.  10% to streaming via a fabulous IFi Zen Stream w/ Elite power supply.

The Mac Mini with lifetime Roon is no longer used for audio. I’m computer free.

Next came the ZR2 and CSP3.  With stock tubes on the CSP3, and my trusty Mazda NOS on the ZR2, I had achieved for me what is incredible sound.  The Norah Jones SACDs sounded incredible, yet all my favorite non A+ recordings sounded extremely good. Night after night I ended each listening session by literally saying out loud, “that was ridiculous, so freaking good.” Recordings that had been banished made a prodigal son like return, and the crowd cheered.

With amazing sound achieved and utter satisfaction acquired, night after night, in typical audiophile fashion, I became curious if something better is out there.  And heck, $222 for a couple CryoTone seemed a bargain, especially with the glowing reviews here.

That first night, with only 4 hours break-in, gave me DirectStream flashbacks.  The transparency I had fled from was back!  The villagers shrieked and ran back to their huts.

Don has convinced me to give it 200 hours. I’m running the rig 16 hours per day, on a strict schedule.  I’m at 20 hours so far.  He suggested I peak in at 100.

We shall see where the CryoTone end up. If the initial edge, or as Lon says “live wire”, dials back enough, or if the ZR2 can help compensate, it might work for me.

Stay tuned!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #82 - 05/12/22 at 20:58:57

Hey John, I piss on fascists, marxists, and their brothers. Any handshake with them includes a live grenade Smiley

That's an interesting story, and I get where you are coming from. But give the tubes at least 150-200 hrs.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #83 - 05/12/22 at 22:56:53

piezoman,

You looking at any Cryotone power tubes for your Torii? Unless you changed your order to the 300B. If so never mind.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 05/13/22 at 01:22:05

Brad wrote:

Quote:
Hey John, I piss on fascists, marxists, and their brothers. Any handshake with them includes a live grenade

I hear ya brother!  I feel the same way about the Judean's People Front, the People's Front of Judea, and the Judean Popular People's Front - wankers!

And you make a good point, the suicide bomber secret handshake is quite different and typically includes the pass-phrase "Is that a rocket in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me...."

Grin

Monday night will be 100 hours, 150 by Thursday, and the holy land in about 10 days.  In Kevin Deal's recent Paul McGowan skewering video he says the sweet spot with tubes starts at 1000 hours!

I apologize in advanced for the gratuitous Life of Brian references.....

IP Logged
Giggsy
Verified Member

Reply #85 - 05/13/22 at 14:20:33

DancingSea, that made me laugh. Good job at remembering them.
Life of Brian reference always welcome.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 05/13/22 at 14:58:23

Quote:
piezoman,
You looking at any Cryotone power tubes for your Torii? Unless you changed your order to the 300B. If so never mind.

Not at this time. I've invested in a set of Pissvane EL34PH and Tubestore preferred series 6L6GC.

As for the 300B, no interest at all. I did have a question about tuneability/versatility for Steve about it for a bleeping second, and he simply responded which says it all, "Hi Brad, The versatility of the TORII MK5 is off the scale compared to the 300B."

The tube choices, including VR tubes, and otheer forms of adjustability in tuning is far more import to me than a more "all-in-one" design with limited tube types. To me, the Torii MK V offers far more in overall satisfaction and experimentation. To be so limited in experimentation IAW with my own mood changes and long term goals which can change a bit here and there is a total show-stopper, no matter how good that one window of sonics are.

Power/headroom, and just as importantly versatility, are at the very top of the food chain this time around, after the failure of a 3.2w amp in the Taboo MK IV-25th [for speaker duty]. Have to get it right.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 05/13/22 at 15:04:41

Quote:
Monday night will be 100 hours, 150 by Thursday, and the holy land in about 10 days.  In Kevin Deal's recent Paul McGowan skewering video he says the sweet spot with tubes starts at 1000 hours!

"Uncle Kevvy" is a craven salesman first bullshitter type, but he's right on the technicalities.

The really cool thing about the Cryotones is that they hold their sweet spot from fairly early on -- all the way to the end which is several orders of magnitude vs. the antique stuff which start farting out and go downhill from there iteratively, well before that.

Oh and no sweat, that was a funny joke, LOL

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 05/13/22 at 18:28:49

Thanks Brad, going to run the stock tubes for a while. Have a good selection of  rectifiers and input tubes. After couple months I'll try getting into the rectifiers. Have some cool vr tubes, save them for later down the road. Just for the record I changed my order before the T&S youtube review.

If the good reports keep coming in about Cryotones tubes I'll mostly go down that road. Only time will tell.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 05/13/22 at 18:35:38

Update on the Western Electric-Cryotone combination:

I had a great experience yesterday evening with my system.  The CSP3 has standard Decware issued stock tubes that have approximately 20 hours use.  The Cary 300SEI has a Cryotone 6SN7 in the input position, two Cryotone 6SN7’s in the driver positions, and a pair of Western Electric 300B output tubes.  The Cryotones now have 33 hours of play time, and the WE300B’s have around 135 hours of music play time.

Ten years ago I had a system anchored by big 2a3 monoblocks and huge Lowther based horns.  On certain bluegrass recordings it was fairly easy to talk one’s self into believing that there was a live band in the room. From the day that system left our home I have not experienced that level of musical deception……..until last night.

It should be noted that my Lowther based system, on the vast majority of music, caused my ears to bleed. Talk about a tipped up high end…….throw a pair of 5 inch Lowthers on massive Azzura horns and point them at your listening chair!

Last night, just before bed time, I went to the listening room to turn off the system which had been playing music all day.  Instead, I decided to sit down to listen to the first movement of a Hadyn string quartet played by the Buchberger Quartet.  I was instantly caught up in the performance, and I didn’t go to bed—I listened to all three complete quartets on this CD.  And for the first time in ten years I was able to drift off into a dream world of a live performance in my listening room.  It sounded so real.  

What caused this new level of system performance?  Several huge changes have come to my system during the past 12 months, and each change has resulted in sound quality improvement, but the change I heard last night was out of this world.  I believe that the only explanation is the new Western Electric and Cryotone tubes and the way they play together.  It was an incredible experience.  The most intriguing part of this situation is the fact that these 5 tubes are brand new and barely used.  I am pumped!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 05/13/22 at 21:25:08

I have a couple questions that I don't believe anyone has answered. I am not sold on these very expensive tubes. Before I go further, anyone interested in excellent rectifier tubes should check out the SED 5u4g (https://www.ebay.com/itm/111896176406?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&s...). I've used rca and Mullard in my Torii mkiv...I like these the best. Rectifiers should last a long long time unless they're damaged or poorly made to begin with.

1. Where are the cryotone tubes originally manufactured?

2. How do we know they last much longer than nos or new production? Has anyone put 5-10k hours on the input or rectifier tubes?

Comments. The fact that Steve uses Kevin "no" Deal as a reference loses credibility with me. Associating with him is a slippery slope. What does Kevin provide that guys like Andy Bouwman, Brent Jessee, and Jim McShane don't or don't do better?

I love the rca gray top 6sn7 tubes. I don't think they're as good as amperex 7608 or higher graded 6922/7dj8 tubes. I haven't had these go bad yet and they're notably as or more affordable as the cryotone. Way better than the 6n1p or similar that Steve sells. Why, you may ask? Tone and freq response and quality.

Dancingsea, kudos to you and your pushback on ghostship. First class on your part. I agree that tubes better sound good to begin with (within a few hours) or else they're being re-sold. Note that I did not say "great."

I am curious who has 200 hours to wait before judging the true qualities of a tube? If I did that with each tube I've tried, there would never be any chance of spending significant time really enjoying my music, records. Maybe that works with streaming or CDs. Just to make this clear, if an album is generously assumed to be 1 hour long, 200 albums would be played before truly knowing the quality of a tube. Sure, there are some who do nothing else with their free time but listen to music. If I had 5 hours a day to listen to music, that would be 40 days straight before making a decision. And then, spending the time doing tuning with other tubes to find the best combination. Thanks but no thanks. I'm with dancingsea and others who trust a tube will sound really good from the start and then get better. If it sucks to start, who wants to spend the time to listen to poor sounding music. Finally, that 200 hours is eating away at my power tubes lifespan. Help me understand how that makes sense. End of rant.

Feel free to contact me directly.

Hi Brad, how's the csp3 working out for you?

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 05/13/22 at 23:24:12

DancingSea,

I read your initial experience with the Cryotubes that you have received.  Perhaps I missed this... What amp do you have?  If it's a Decware amp what tubes are in it?  What rectifier is in the CSP3?  Is your CSP3 the Anniversary version or has it been updated to an Anniversary version?

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 05/13/22 at 23:30:06

Couple of other questions DancingSea... Did you get the 12AU7-WCL Long Plate? and if you are using the 12AU7 in the input position of the CSP3 what adapter did you get?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #93 - 05/14/22 at 17:23:37

Quote:
I encouraged Don to post in the forum. He knows a ton about tubes.  He wasn’t sure if it was kosher for him to post.  I said please do, that way at least one of us will know what he’s talking about   Wink

Cryotone and Decware are affiliates.  Just like Caintuck & Lii Audio so Don and Roger are more than welcome to post here.  : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 05/14/22 at 18:20:51

Safebelayer,

The sourcing of Don’s Cryotone tubes has been mentioned several times in this thread, and now Steve, himself, has become a tube source in order for necessary cryo testing and experimentation.

Cryotone tube life has also been discussed.  In a conversation I had with Don a few weeks back, he told me of two different pro studios that had been running 20 Cryotone tubes 24/7 for three years now, with no signs of wear or sound degradation.  But………can you trust a guy who sells tubes for a living?  I, personally, think Mr. Wathen is trustworthy.

If Cryotone tubes last as long as Don claims, and knowing how his tubes sound in my system, they very well may wind up being the least expensive tubes I have ever purchased, and yet possibly the very best sounding. There appears to be way more to this story than initial cash outlay.  I have some old Telefunkens, Amperex, and Mullard 6922’s—all purchased from Brent Jesse—that cost far more than Cryotone ECC88’s……..I just don’t see Don’s prices as being out of line.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 05/14/22 at 19:07:07

Doug,

Thank you for your opinion. I'm still not seeing Steve's statement that Wathen is using a specific brand of tubes. I'll admit to a lack of careful reading, but I have not found the information. Fwiw, though I trust Brent and Andy implicitly, I do not buy exclusively thru them, but they are top notch resources. There are very reputable sellers of these tubes at much lower prices. I'm willing to take a chance on them with the information gained by discussions with Brent and Andy and initially buying from them. Those two have sold me many tubes which are still actively being used... it's my back stock found thru other vendors.

One thing I particularly like about A & B, is they will encourage buying ugly stock or stock from a more recent vintage (60s instead of 40s or 50s), noting it sounds identical or so near to it that only perfect circumstances would reveal the micro differences. If I choose the more expensive, they're willing to sell. But when I buy the less expensive, I've found out they're right; the difference between the pretty tele or amperex and the ugly/60s tube is inconsequential.

This is just my preference, so please do not take this as a suggestion or instruction. I'll trust recommended nos stuff from Andy and Brent before investing in JJ tubes, until those tubes have a substantial time of being long lasting and high sound quality. Fortunately for me, I have a large stock of everything the Torii mkiv uses, and they were way more affordable.

If you haven't tried the nos SED 5u4g rectifiers, I highly encourage doing so. They're affordable and rectifiers, by function, last a long time...exceptions are notable, i.e. Sophia Electric, I found to be fragile.

Hey, thanks for the discussion. Good stuff

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 05/14/22 at 19:37:12

I have tried the SED 5U4G and sold them, not my cup o tea at any price.  But then there's tubes that I like in my system, in my environment that others do not.

I don't even want waste the time to list all the different tubes that I have rolled.  What I take exception to is anyone inferring by their opinion that something is overpriced and in the process actually calling into question the motives of an individual whether that is intended or not.  Regardless of intent a persons credibility has been put into question and their reputation damaged by an opinion which may in fact have no basis or legitimacy.

We may all be entitled to our opinions.  But we are not entitled to express our opinions way in a way that may damage a persons good character for no good reason at all.

As far as Wathen tubes being overpriced???  As compared to what??? I have tried rectifiers that cost as little as $50.00 to ones that cost $200.00 up to ones that cost several hundred dollars.

I paid a little over $100.00 for a 5AR4-WC and as a result sold a Miniwatt/Philips GZ34 Metal Base for significantly more.  

Enough said!

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 05/14/22 at 20:02:59

"But then there's tubes that I like in my system, in my environment that others do not."

Joman, well said. Apparently, me too.

I'm not sure what you're referring to about inferring that something is overpriced and the corollary about seller's intentions.

Overpriced is relative to established norms for a particular level of quality. To say cryotone is established compared to 60-80 year old tubes is a stretch. That said, if someone thinks they're awesome then say it and why. That goes for both cryotone and nos.

As for intentions of sellers, did I imply that Wathen is not above board? Please help me understand how I did this. Not my intention, but ignorance isn't a defense, which is why I'm asking. The one thing I can point to within Decware forums is the overall professionalism of the contributors.

Thanks for sharing

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 05/14/22 at 20:27:22

The most fascinating part is that if you grade tubes and pic the good ones and Cryo treat each one with it's own recipe, like these guys do, then it doesn't matter the brand, how much it cost, if it was NOS from the Blackburn plant or exotic asian tubes for giant money, they will not sound better.  They can't. They Cryo process is real. It molecularly changes things. You can hear it.

-Steve

So, the cryo process makes all tubes equal. Previously better tubes will be equaled by lesser quality sounding tubes. Is that what you're saying, Steve?

I would love to see the blind study that demonstrates this. Or, send out samples to reputable reviewers, i.e. Tone magazine's, Jeff Dorgay. You are strongly recommending us, Decware component owners, to buy expensive tubes. It seems reasonable to ask for more than your "uniquely qualified" opinion. Forum participants do not qualify as known "qualified" reviewers. Rarely do they have well tuned sound rooms. Steve, your response is valuable.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 05/15/22 at 03:45:46

I really don't want to start a debate and that is not my intent and after this I will not comment.

I have noticed that lately, in posts about cryogenic treatment, besides the word "overpriced", I believe the term "snake oil" has also been used in other posts and there is a connection between these posts.

Most dictionaries define "overpriced" as -it costs much more than it should, -too expensive, costs more than its worth.

Among the list of synonyms for "overpriced" the phrase "rip off" is included.

With respect to "snake oil" the notation is made that it is used "to describe deceptive marketing, fraud, scam".

Another term that has been used recently in posts is "used car salesman".  That term is synonymous with "sleazy, pushy, crooked sales".

Now whether or not the above is what we intend to convey when using these terms or words is not the point.  The point is that many will take it that way because even if they're unfamiliar with the dictionary definition they are familiar with the negative stereotype.

If we are going to post, myself included, we need to keep that in mind.  It's not hard to slip from time to time.  Sure, we may feel very strongly about something and try to express our sentiments with a degree of force, however remember, too much seasoning can make a meal distasteful.

What I have said applies to me as much as anyone else.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print