Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 03:09:49 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video (Read 56138 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re:  CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video
Reply #150 - 05/26/22 at 22:33:22

I spent many happy years listening to Amperex 7308. Amperex made in Holland in general have a "house sound" I really like.

I'm going to recommend a cheap tube to try that you can find on eBay: 6CG7. It was mentioned here and I dug around and had a few pair and re-evaluated them, favorably. Really nice tone. Both my pairs are RCA, one black plate, one clear top. Both have slight differences but I'd be happy with either.

My other favorite, that keeps going into my Monoblocks, are Ameperex 6085 with converter bases. Lots of body, lots of the good tone.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #151 - 05/26/22 at 22:37:50

DS,

I am not a fan of the bugle boy tubes. They're not bad, just not notable....to me. What's your budget per tube?

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #152 - 05/26/22 at 23:02:36

Thanks Lon, I'll definitely check those out.  Inexpensive calls to me like a siren on the shore.

Safebelayer (please do elaborate on the meaning of your handle!) - you know, what happened is I wrote to Brent Jessee and explained my CryoTone experience.  What I liked, and what I didn't like (too much treble), and asked which tube he recommended as a cure.

He suggested the Amperex Bugleboy 6DJ8 that were made early on in Holland for Tektronix at $80 per tube.  The CSP3 is my first tube preamp/ amp, so I have no experience in discerning his extensive list of tubes.  I just ask and let him decide as he's the expert.

He thought Amperex in general performs better with a wide variety of music than Mullard.  But I've been keen to try a Mullard just because I like the YouTube video about their factory, so he suggested a 1960's 6922 that were made in England for other brands at $115 per tube.  I get a kick out of the tube backstories.  The notion that a little glass bulb from 70 years ago that was intended for industrial purposes could be relevant in today's audio awakens my inner Antiques Roadshow.

That's the tube budget for now!

I'll see where that gets me and in a few months perhaps seek out an Amperex 7308 when the price reaches $10K.  Also want to see how a different rectifier tube effects things.

With my Marantz in power amp only mode and fed by the ZRock2 (Mazda 12AU7 - set in B mode) and the stock CSP3 Russian 6N1P, I had achieved such a great sound.  Since then I tried the CryoTone, and also switched the Marantz to integrated mode, all of which has left me thoroughly confused in a maze of which switch was which way, huh?! Who’s on first?

I'm certain that the tubes only represent at most 50% of my satisfaction level.  The other 50% is left to a wild crazy monkey who loves bananas one day, and can't stand bananas the next!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #153 - 05/26/22 at 23:24:50

Quote:
and also switched the Marantz to integrated mode, all of which has left me thoroughly confused in a maze of which switch was which way, huh?! Who’s on first?

To me, that's the beauty of tubes that kicks the absolute living crap outta SS. I will never see another SS amp for the rest of my life. Maybe one exception someday for the hell of it, the original Threshold Stasis SA-3. That was the ONLY solid state amp ever to really blow my mind.....as monoblocks paired with the original Apogee Caliper speakers, that sound is something that has haunted me for 30 years. I STILL haven't heard anything that comes remotely close. Damn my audio friend at the time that turned me onto to those, ruined my life, LOL

The more stages available for tuning and gain the better [well, up to a point]. Become one with the complexity of your beloved equipment, simple is for simps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #154 - 06/01/22 at 13:44:42

Right now I'm listening to the newly released 6P15-EV from Cryotone. When I first put them in yesterday I thought they were really transformed. . . the percussive sound of Bill Evans' piano were softer and there seemed a bit more depth to the soundstage.

Putting about ten hours on them and listening to them today after a short listen to a well-seasoned pair of the same tubes from Steve. . . they don't sound as different. Perhaps a bit more depth to the sound, perhaps a slightly sweeter high end. . . but I could honestly be imagining that. This is a tube I have been using for a number of years so unlike the 6SN7s that I bought earlier I KNOW what the tube sounds like pre-treatment.

So now the real test is longevity. If I can get three years out of this pair, three times the length I generally get, then they will have paid for themselves. We'll see. That's a long way off. . . I might be listening to a 300B Sarah then!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 06/01/22 at 14:51:11

Lon,

You only get one year out of an input tube. That's a very low number of hours. Even at that, what's the cost of the Decware Russian import compared to the cryotone? I'm guessing it's a third of the price or even less.  These cryotone tubes are not proving to be any sort of holy grail tube. Simply, personal preference, nothing more.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #156 - 06/01/22 at 15:11:25

I get far more than a year out of an input tube. But I find that after about a year the output tubes start to be "less than optimal." I can still use them, and I can tweak other aspects of the system to sort of make up for the start of their decline, but I replace them now--from Steve they were about a third the price than these from Wathen. (Yes you can get them far cheaper than that elsewhere but it's painfully obvious to me that Steve's selection, testing and matching give one reliable, superior sounding tubes).

So yes, I'm beginning to suspect these tubes may have a 5 percent or more "better sound" but the real proof of the pudding is their longevity. If I get three years out of them they are worth the cost, especially as I suspect that Steve's prices and the prices of other vendors will increase over that time. I don't regret trying them out. I inquired of Wathen whether they will offer voltage regulation tubes--if they can offer US tubes of these nature and their process really does work as far as a long lasting tube, those would be near lifetime purchases! (VR tubes last a long long time).

I'll agree that sonically so far I haven't found these to be "holy grail" or "holy grail KILLER" tubes, but all systems are different, and we hear things differently too--I don't doubt that they are so for some. I think if they were to cryo treat some of my favorite tubes I might invest more (these 6P15-EV sourced from Steve ARE my favorite output tubes for my amps). But JJ tubes . . . not favorites of mine.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #157 - 06/01/22 at 20:50:42

The following emails have come in today - regarding these tubes

Quote:
Hi Steve ,

I wanted send you a quick email to thank you so much for your recommendation of Cryotone tubes !
Based on your recommendation I purchased a matched pair of Cryotone 12bh7 tubes for my Preamp and I can honestly say they are  nothing short of revelatory .

I was very surprised to read that a couple of Decware members found the Cryotone’s bright ?  That definitely has NOT been my experience. They are extremely vivid and hyper detailed though - in the most positive way.

I’m an obsessed Jazz and Classical  music listener and the level of detail and resolution of natural tone and timbre I’m hearing is truly amazing .
I always  appreciate your wisdom and sound advice . Thanks again Steve for the fabulous recommendation.

Best ,
Drew

and this one

Quote:
Hi Steve, just touching base with you.

Steve, 99.9% of the customers are completely blown away by how great their Decware systems sound with CryoTone tubes. I’ve had several people email me about the negative sounding comments posted by Lon and a couple of his followers. It seemed to have derailed the great thread. CryoTone tubes are super smooth and resolving. Not in the least harsh or bright sounding. I would chime in but I tend to be Troll bait.

The 300B-WCs will ship in a few days.

Thanks!!!

Don Thomas

This has been my experience as well, smooth as a babies ass with great detail. Keep in mind that everyone has different systems and there are many reasons for claiming the stuff is bright. For one, Lon is allergic to highs. All of his gear has custom tone controls to reduce highs. Another example that can cause this to happen when comparing to a favorite NOS tube, is that as tubes age they soften. As they soften, systems get voiced with brighter cables, DACs, speakers, or other tubes that are brighter to balance it. Then when the NOS tube that is soft sounding is "updated" with something fresh, the system sounds bright.

This is not referring to you, so no need to responsd whoever you are. No need to defend your NOS tube choices, I am putting this out there as a common hypothetical situation that can cause these results.

I'm sure Don has no issues with taking a tube back if you don't like it, you don't need a reason.

The beauty of raw uncensored feedback in this forum is to show you what can happen to You.  It's not a guaranteed thing for every system.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #158 - 06/01/22 at 22:14:27

Wow, I talk honestly and it seems to be perceived as a negative thing for the company. "My followers". . . I don't have any, what's up with that?

Anyway, all I have ever said is that they are bright, and to me the one pair that I have are in comparison to all the other tubes I compared them to (and no it's not just because of "softened NOS tubes" being replaced, I compared them to a lot of different new production and unused NOS tubes and they were bright in comparison.) Actually in my main system only my mono blocks have "treble controls" and of course there's the ZROCK2. And the other person who has found his Cryotone tubes bright is certainly not one of my "followers" Wink I'm glad that others find them so great, honestly I am, and I wish I liked the pair I had bought more. I encourage anyone to try them out.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #159 - 06/01/22 at 22:43:33

Quote:
Wow, I talk honestly and it seems to be perceived as a negative thing for the company. "My followers". . . I don't have any, what's up with that?

Anyone who dominates a public forum (see post counts) is going to have followers and you actually do have followers, many who have brought you up in phone calls with me - always in a positive manner - so I would say you have likely 1000's of people who follow your posts.

Softened NOS comments were not pertaining to you, you are a unique case that even if something is not bright, you think it is bright.  Evidence of that is treble controls that you can't live without on every amp and no one else with Decware gear (tens of thousands so far) don't need, don't want and have no use for.

This simply says you have sensitive hearing in the high end and a low tolerance for less than perfect sound in those regions.  This is no doubt why you have fallen so deeply into the hobby -- because you can hear more than most -- and why your opinion here is so well respected.  Because of the sensitivity to top end you hear midrange with far more depth.  This is why your opinion is valuable.  But when it comes to saying something is brighter than  something else to a reader like Don who doesn't know you, it is pretty easy to understand his reaction and he isn't wrong, just making an observation like you were.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #160 - 06/01/22 at 22:58:36

Okay. I still think this pair IS brighter than neutral. The 6P15-EV I received yesterday are not, they sound like your tubes, as they are. Many LIKE the sort of tonal presentation of these 6SN7-WC--I struggle to make them work in my main system.

By the way I don't have tone controls on my Taboo Mk IV. I get by. Wink

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 06/02/22 at 01:10:56

All hail Lon! What is thy bidding, my master...

Grin

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #162 - 06/02/22 at 01:34:40

LOL  ;D

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 06/02/22 at 01:58:47

Count me in (except for the smart phone thing)

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 06/02/22 at 07:18:12

Steve: But when it comes to saying something is brighter than  something else to a reader like Don who doesn't know you, it is pretty easy to understand his reaction and he isn't wrong, just making an observation like you were.  

I'm no follower of Lon's, other than to read his comments in threads I have interest. He makes statements about his experiences and makes it darn clear that it's his experience.

Steve, maybe your advice to Lon is good advice for all commenting here, including the thread starter and company owner. Many of us have decades of experience with tubes. Many tube dealers have tested thousands of tubes over many years. No one is uniquely qualified to make an edict on tube sound quality. Each of us have distinctly different ears and auditory processes. So, when the Decware owner says a tube is the holy grail of tubes, new and old production, that they're smooth as a babies butt, it holds the same weight as Lon, other dealers, other tube gear owners, etc. It's a simple, personal opinion which is like any other opinion, SUBJECTIVE.

Apparently, for goodness sake, not as many of us drink the Decware kool-aid as it seemed. In addition, too bad for cryotone that their tubes are being scrutinized. That's life.

Is it too much to ask to set egos aside? Offer up an opinion. Temper it with caution. Don't criticize another for a different opinion. Be willing to hear another's perspective. Ask questions about their experience. Maybe something can be learned or considered.

Well, here's hoping.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #165 - 06/02/22 at 13:43:17

SB, I definitely see your point. I also see that Steve is a business owner and is also allowed to be enthusiastic about his opinion of tubes that he feels are the best choice for his components, and he is in a position to try them across the product line. That is what I see here: enthusiasm for a product he has investigated and found works very well for his products, mixed in with a bit of sales technique. When I'm enthusiastic about something my perspective is a bit changed and my words a bit more vibrant. That is what I see here.

I agree that we're all hearing differently in differing rooms and with different equipment and that is a great leveling field that grants validity to any assessment for that particular musical environment. And persons in business need to sell things so enthusiastic endorsements and shall we say "excited" sales approaches are to be expected. The good thing here is that it seems that there is an opportunity with these tubes to try and return if you don't like them. That's not always the case, and that makes being influenced by enthusiasm and excitement less of a financial risk than in many other instances. . . .

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #166 - 06/02/22 at 14:23:25

Quote:
Posted by: safebelayer      Posted on: Today at 07:18:12

...So, when the Decware owner says a tube is the holy grail of tubes, new and old production, that they're smooth as a babies butt, it holds the same weight as Lon, other dealers, other tube gear owners, etc. It's a simple, personal opinion which is like any other opinion, SUBJECTIVE...

On one level that is inarguable to the point where it goes without saying. Our reaction to sound is a personal opinion. A lot of us like different tubes, just as we like different amps and different speakers and different music.

But on another level we're all here because we like the gear Steve designed to his criterion and his taste so I would say his opinion does have a special authority. That being said I have no problem forming my own opinion and I'm in no hurry to spend several hundreds of dollars on cryotone tubes.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 06/02/22 at 15:53:21

As a new "tuber", this forum as helped me tremendously in this audio adventure..Everyone has their opinion based on their experiences and varied audio interpretation.  Nonetheless, it is ultimately each individual's choice of tubes, ICs, power cables, amps, preamps, speakers, acoustic treatments based on what the forum members have or will continue to provide.  I for one am thankful to everyone willing and able to lend advice and opinions.  As for me, my ears and wallet love some Cryotones...And for the moment, my search for other tubes has taken a "strategic" pause.  Just tubes.....
Bob
PS. If I were to grade myself from K to 12, college....I am at Grade 2 in level of knowledge and expertise in this forum.....

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 06/02/22 at 19:12:09

Lon, kulafu, CAJames,

Very nice comments; kind and informative.

Kulafu, welcome to the land of tubes. It's an awesome place to be, content with your tube complement.

James, I agree with your statement about why we're here and independent choices based on what we individually hear. I'll pm you later.

Lon, as always you express your opinion with gentleness and respect. That is why you have many that look for your opinion on a variety of topics. First class.

Steve's enthusiasm and excitement for cryotone tubes is welcomed, for sure. The ability to return the tubes is nice as well, though not unheard of in the industry, but still a nice perk for expensive, new production, tubes.

His actions to defend a non-affiliated company from opinions of others, notably yours, is over the top in my opinion. He knows his equipment to the same degree I know mine. Here's the formula: one's ears, room, system configuration, musical tastes, front end preference, atmospheric environment, and experiences. I would wager that many of us spend as much time with our gear, or more, than he has with our particular components. And, we've spent more time with various tube complements. Credibility is based on specific and general experience. He has neither with my ears, room, etc.

In my opinion, he historically sells his components with mediocre tubes. Damn near everyone changes the tubes, with the exception of the vr tubes, though many change those too. I changed the tubes because I found them to produce veiled, sterile sound, and many were low quality...not all. This doesn't make him unique in the industry, others do the same. In fact, he does offer options. His replacement tubes are notably higher priced than some dealers, whom we patron with great success.

Yes, I like the amp I own (Torii mkiv). Do I think it's the best I've ever heard? No I do not. Is it better than most if not all at the price point? I think it is. Do I like his other products? I have not been inclined to buy them for various reasons, most of which surrounds the finicky nature of getting them to behave well with each other as reported by many in the forum threads.

So, yes, Steve is the designer of the product I really enjoy. It's very good, but not without its faults... No need to mention them here. I appreciate his recommendations, otherwise I wouldn't be on this thread. I do not appreciate him making a recommendation and then getting butt-hurt because others don't agree, resulting in some tension with the (non?) affiliate, cryotone. Specifically, you and others expressed your opinions objectively and respectfully. He then called into question your ability to express a fair opinion. That's an unprofessional action at best.

I'm hoping he steps back and considers the tenor of this thread, his actions, and our responses. Maybe then, there will an apology (without excuses), owning his actions. It's easy and it gains credibility as it shows growth. Being wrong is not a sign of failure. Not recognizing it is a sign of stuckness.

Thoughts?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #169 - 06/02/22 at 19:29:46

I don't quite see things the same way in regards to his comments to me.

But let me suggest this rock and a hard place situation that Steve has faced since the company began: he began producing tube gear at a time when the US was not producing any tubes, and the freshly independent Easter European factories were just getting their own production and distribution in motion, and Russian military surplus was what was mostly coming out of Russia, though a few Russian companies were distributing tubes to the rest of the world, some of which ended up being owned by US companies I believe. Anyway--he did not have many choices to supply with his components and he did not want to supply excellent NOS tubes that the new owner would then have to struggle to re-tube--he wanted to offer a complement that he could replicate and that would serve as a base line for each component across ownerships. He has had to shift his choices over the years but he has been able to at least provide tubes the owner could replenish when needed without a herculean effort (which would not be the case with excellent NOS tubes).

Now we have a war in Ukraine that if it has not led to a cessation of distribution from that part of the world to ours has at least caused a  halt to the flow due to hoarding and supply chain issues. And then lo and behold Steve discovers a US company that is cryo treating Eastern European tubes that they seem to be able to offer regularly that he thinks sound great in his components. He's excited by their sound and by the fact that he has a US supplier that he can work with, he communicates with them, and works out a beneficial arrangement. I can imagine a sense of relief and hope this provides. And can imagine an excitement.

I have to say that the Cryotone treated output tubes from Steve are shaping up to be a bit better than the un-treated and if the longevity claimed is true will at least be cost-effective in the long run. And I'm trying the input tubes again with different voltage regulation tubes and rectifiers with these new output tubes and I've tamed some of the brightness that caused me to pull these out repeatedly before. I'm giving them another chance because there ARE qualities of these tubes that are extra-ordinary.

It's not easy to be a small company and flourish. Decware is managing these changes probably better than another management might. I've cut them slack in certain ways, I've enjoyed their products for over two decades and am excited about another on the horizon I'm in the queue for--that I can use American tubes with.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 06/02/22 at 19:59:21

Good points Lon and well stated. I agree with your statement that we see things differently. Rude behavior is unjustified in my opinion, period. I can and do easily acknowledge Steve's quality designs and gear. His actions toward you, allegiance with cryotone, and association with Kevin Deal are not show stoppers, but they are worth noting and not giving him excuses.

Btw, cryotone tubes are not American. Just because I do a tune-up on my Toyota, doesn't mean it's American made.

Steve said the following: "The most fascinating part is that if you grade tubes and pick the good ones and Cryo treat each one with it's own recipe, like these guys do, then it doesn't matter the brand, how much it cost, if it was NOS from the Blackburn plant or exotic asian tubes for giant money, they will not sound better.  They can't. The Cryo process is real. It molecularly changes things. You can hear it."

What does this mean? Is Steve saying that the cryo process makes all tubes equal?

If I follow the context of the statement, that's exactly what he's implying, at the very least. Cryo doesn't change one metal into another, thickness into thin or conversely, construction quality, glass shape and quality, etc. The results of scientific experiments and evaluation of cryoed tubes do not support this statement. I've asked Steve to explain this very notable and definitive statement. Would the answer be helpful to those wanting to know more about tubes and their functionality? I think so. I know he's busy, but no answer. But when a Decware member with a large following gives a different, if not less than positive, impression of his recommended tube altering company's product, that he addresses. By impugning your opinion and credibility...though he deftly states it as if complimenting your sensitive hearing ability.

Lon, in case you haven't noticed, I'm on your side. Like I mentioned in my previous post, if Steve apologized for taking acception to your valid personal opinion, this thread wouldn't exist. But that hasn't happened. Why not? He's obviously paying attention to what's being said or maybe he only pays attention to what his friend, Mr. Thomas, says.

I'm done with this thread. And everyone said, "good riddance." 🤣🤣🤣

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #171 - 06/02/22 at 20:20:15

I didn't say that Cryotone was using American tubes, I said they were using Eastern European tubes. As many other companies do: Sovtek, Mullard, Tung-Sol, all these "reissue brands" are I think owned by US companies using European tubes. (In my final paragraph when referring to US tubes I was referring to being able to use Western Electric tubes in the Sarah amp).

I agree that cryo treatment won't make a JJ tube sound like a true Telefunken NOS etc. Cryo treatment doesn't have those magic abilities. I think the description could have been more accurately written to indicate that the treatment will improve the sound and longevity of tubes putting them on a higher plane such as the best NOS tubes. That would be more accurate and defensible. To be honest I too don't agree with his "it doesn't matter" statement--I can only imagine how one of the best NOS tubes I use would sound with the sort of careful "recipe" of treatment. But I know how expensive that would be, and what a challenge for Cryotone to have a stock to experiment with and "waste" some.

Again, I don't see Steve's comments about my own comments in the same way, but you're "out" of the thread so no reason to go into that. Wink

I'm used to how Steve thinks and writes after reading his words since '97. And I'm used to his infrequent trips into the forum and missing questions and comments. Perhaps that is why my reactions are dissimilar. We agree in large part and are on the same team. I'd like to see Decware grow gracefully and see Steve be able to continue to pursue his real passion: exploring the sonic possibilities of tube circuits and always improving via experimentation and trial and error.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #172 - 06/02/22 at 20:45:39

Just to make a useless point

Toyota tops the list as the Most American Made Car

Toyota beats Ford and other competitors as the most American made car

https://www.cavatoyota.com/blog/toyota-tops-the-list-as-the-most-american-made-c...

It was on the internet so it must be true.

It's been my VERY limited experience that synergy is really important.  When changing the regulator the whole sound signature changes and not always to the better.  The fun part is now finding the right combination and bias setting to give them the signature you prefer.  I would like to know what the complete tube compliment Steve was using when he found the magic in these tubes?

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
acousticsguru
Verified Member

Reply #173 - 06/02/22 at 20:51:55

I've been reading this thread with great interest. I'm with Lon (I'm paraphrasing now, so if this comes across as what I think rather than him, that's fine with me) in that if cryo-treatment works, all it can do is to (hopefully) turn a tube into a cleaner version of itself. Philosophically speaking, cryo-treatment may serve as an equalizer to some extent in that ideally, the treatment may get rid of resonances/distortion/harmonics (but then, that's the aspect Steve mentions in the video: lower distortion may not be preferable in everyone's book when "better" sound is the equivalent of a less "tubey" sound). Having said all this, it makes sense to want to cryo-treat a tube whose sound one likes versus one whose sound one doesn't like. For this reason, I'm primarily tempted to try a pair of cryoed (is that terminologically correct in English?) 6P15P-ER and, if it becomes available, 6N1P-EV. Oh and Lon, of course you have at least one follower!  ;)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #174 - 06/02/22 at 22:26:29

Dana, you do realize Toyota has been manufacturing vehicles in this country for decades, right?

Toyota Sienna (Princeton, Indiana)
Toyota Sequoia (Princeton, Indiana)
Toyota Highlander (Princeton, Indiana)
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (Georgetown, Kentucky)
Toyota Camry (Georgetown, Kentucky)
Toyota Avalon (Georgetown, Kentucky)
Toyota Tacoma (San Antonio, Texas)
Toyota Tundra (San Antonio, Texas)
Toyota Corolla (Blue Springs, Mississippi),

Not to mention plants in Alabama, Missouri, Tennessee and Virginia?

Steve isn't "defending" anyone. He was kindly and diplomatically stating that if your system sounds like shit you have no business posting a negative opinion of a tube on the internet.

I don't know why Lon was singled out. There was also DancingSea who felt so compelled to be a Cryotone naysayer that he only had 4 hours of break-in on his tubes before decrying them as too "aggressive and edgy". When advised to allow them 200 hours of breaking he waited 10 days then again claimed they were "too hot and spicy" and returned them.

What he should have said was he has a combination of room, speakers and class D amp that makes his system so bright that he requires a ZRock and warm, frequency-damped tubes in his preamp to attenuate the treble in order to enjoy the sound of his system. Then, when using a high-quality full-spectrum tube like the Cryotone, he doesn't like the sound of his system, and thus has absolutely no business commenting on the sound quality of Cryotone tubes.

Just because someone posts on this forum claiming they do not appreciate how a tube makes their system sound does NOT mean you should conclude those tubes are in any way bad or wouldn't sound amazing in YOUR system.

Remember that every two years during the Winter Olympics fat drunks everywhere pontificate on what it takes to perform the perfect Triple Lutz...even though they’ve never even laced up a pair of skates much less are able to demonstrate their own expertise on the ice.

I recommend taking the expertise of self-appointed reviewers on the internet with a grain of salt, especially before spending thousands of dollars based on their "opinions" without at least considering the source and determining if it also pertains to you.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 06/03/22 at 00:29:28

Firstly, Lon has paid me $100 to make posts supportive of his opinion that the Cryotone JJ’s sound bright.   Or perhaps overly detailed, which is similar to bright.  They did not work for me, but I appreciate they could be excellent for someone else.

I’m a hired forum gun, a mercenary, who has no valid opinions of his own.  Instead I make my spending money by accepting paid sponsorships by folks like Lon.

Thank you Lon.

In my opinion, which may or may not be my actual opinion, while both fine chaps, Steve and Don have a financial conflict of interest in this debate.   I’m not alluding to anything nefarious, but rather to an inherent bias.  Therefore they’re point of view should be viewed in that light.

The only way to get to the bottom of the Cryotone question would be for an independent third party to compare, both in measurements and blind listening tests, the same tube both before and after the Cryotone treatment.

I’m not clear if my distaste was for JJ’s, or the Cryotone treatment, or both.

But alas, that will never happen.  Therefore we are left to try the Cryotone offerings out for ourselves under their generous no risk return policy.

It’s really that simple.   Not sure what the fuss is about.  Some like red wine, others white. Some will always prefer NOS. Who cares!?

Also, EVERYONE’S opinions ought to be welcome, even if they run against the company line.

One thing I dislike far more than a displeasing tube, is when tribal factions form on these forums and dissent is snuffed out like a rhinoceros on fire duty in The Gods Must Be Crazy.

And indeed, after reading this thread, the Gods must be crazy.

It’s just a tube.  

Smiley

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 06/03/22 at 00:38:40

Quote:
Dana, you do realize Toyota has been manufacturing vehicles in this country for decades, right?

I believe that was his point. The wording and the link he provided left no doubt, actually.

Any wise . . . I didn't take either Don's message or Steve's comments as an 'attack' on Lon or impugning his judgement, etc, just trying to provide context. I do think that Mr. Thomas has maybe not the thickest of skin, as there was certainly a defensive tone in his comments.  

His phrase "and his followers" leaves the implication (even if unintentionally) that others were unduly biased in their own listening from reading Lon's personal observations. Boy, does this guy - not - know Decware forums! People here will indeed sometimes try a new tube (or new amp) based on experience related by others (which necessarily includes 'others-not-named-Lon'), but if they try it and don't like it, regardless whose recommendation, they report in and tell us all about it!

Also, Mr. Thomas' claim that the post containing this less-than-stellar review "derailed the thread" is radically off the mark. Almost all threads, any forum, go tangential if lasting long enough. This thread has has certainly gone completely off the rails, a couple of times, but Lon's posts had nothing to do with any of that.

I think that the review(s) under scrutiny here provided more than sufficient clarification and context, pointing out that it was his own perspective, and that whatever sonic aspect of the tube causing him 'a spot of trouble' was just as likely to be an attraction for others.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #177 - 06/03/22 at 01:20:40

What I take most offense to is the notion that I’m a follower of Lon, when clearly, Lon is a follower of me.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #178 - 06/03/22 at 02:46:10

Never follow, the view never changes!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #179 - 06/03/22 at 03:02:36

Anthem for those who like the view:

Follow The Fold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMyy8rFnb54

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #180 - 06/03/22 at 07:15:23

You know all those giant statues on Easter Island?  They were built by followers of Lon. True story.  Down there, Lon is like C-3PO at an Ewok gathering.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 06/03/22 at 19:51:05

May the peace of Lon be upon you.

Anywho, back to tubes.  This is my first foray into tube rolling.  I spent $220 on CryoTone, and now another $205 on NOS from Brent Jesse (Amperex and Mullard).  The Amperex is a 1963 Bugleboy made for Tektronix.  The top end is certainly smoother than the CryoTone, and while I like the tube, it has not blown me away.  The 1966 Blackburn Mullard is breaking in, so we shall see what it gets us.

But so far, for the CSP3, my favorite input tube - by far - has been the humble stock Decware tube.  If the Mullard doesn't grab me, I'll be inclined to simply seek out more of the stock tubes.  To my tastes, the sound is tremendous.  

I'm not sure if the ones on the Decware website (6N1P-EV) are the same as my stock tube which has very little writing.

While looking at the Decware replacement tubes, I saw this quote:

"Compared to other exotic tubes, for around the same money you can have these superior sounding and longer lasting CRYOTONE tubes from Wathen Audiophile.

They make Decware amplifiers and preamps sound better than anything you can put in one!"

You know, I understand that this is a business and that marketing is required to sell product.  But goodness, that statement is applying the salesmanship a bit thick for me.  "..sound better than anything you can put in one" is such a sweeping, nearly impossible to be true statement.

How can any one brand of tube be the absolute best there is????  I'm not clear why the marketing needs to go so far in its claims.  It has a schtick quality to it that seems unnecessary.

I totally get having CryoTone as a good option to try.  But that's a far cry from being the best possible tube, in the world, that can go in a Decware amp.  I find such a statement not credible in its fundamental structure, on multiple fronts.  I could pick it apart line by line - it's a mess!

It enters terrain even Kevin Deal dare not tread.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #182 - 06/03/22 at 20:18:16

Quote:
I totally get having CryoTone as a good option to try.  But that's a far cry from being the best possible tube, in the world, that can go in a Decware amp.  I find such a statement not credible in its fundamental structure, on multiple fronts.  I could pick it apart line by line - it's a mess!

Come on DS, how can you make a statement like that without owning a Decware Amp?

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 06/03/22 at 21:10:59

JBzen,

Huh?  I own a CSP3, and a ZRock and have owned a ZBox.  It's a silly word game to parse my assessment of the marketing quote because I only own 2 Decware pieces, but not an amp.  The marketing blurb did not intend to say that CryoTone is the best possible tube for Decware amps, but not Decware preamps or tube EQ's.  The quote is stating essentially that CryoTone is the best possible tube for all Decware gear.

The point is that there's no such thing as the "universally best tube brand" for any brand of gear.  It does not exist.  There can be a personal favorite, sure.  But universal?  Impossible.  

Steve could say that he likes CryoTone tubes.  That's a fair statement.  But to imply that CryoTone is the best possible tube to put into a Decware amp, is a ludicrous-reaching-too-far-for-the-sake-of-schtick statement.  Lon and I both are proof that not everyone thinks that way, and therefore, our position undoes the universal claims of the marketing blurb.

The "best" is entirely in the eye and ear of the beholder.  And the notion that any one particular brand of tube somehow beats all other brands, either new production, or new old stock, is at face value an absurd, impossible to be true statement.  

Do not underestimate the underlying financial and convenience of access to tubes dynamic that CryoTone provides Decware and how that influences Steve's dramatic overstatement.

Obviously Steve and Don have formed a partnership of some sort and they're trying to sell the CryoTone idea to the Decware customer base.  That's totally fine.  But doing so need not require resorting to ridiculous and exaggerated marketing speak.

Even Kevin Deal, the schtick-master himself, would never declare one brand of tubes (NOS or present) better than all other brands for PrimaLuna amps.  No credible tube dealer would ever declare such a thing.  Because such a thing is fundamentally impossible to be true due to the HUGE dynamic of personal, entirely subjective taste.  

Steve has no ill intent.  He's just being sloppy with his words.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #184 - 06/03/22 at 23:47:55

Well DS, Steve is the eye and ear beholder of his amp enterprise. He has a very very strong following. He has always been sloppy with his articulate words. So, why must one nitpick at this point?

When you first mentioned your venture into cryo treated tubes it was very predictable of a bright top end being your use of a solid state power amp.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #185 - 06/04/22 at 00:08:43

We have clearly run out off meaningful things to discuss or better yet meaningful ways to discuss them.  Can't we all just get along and drop the verbal gymnastics?  You know, express our opinions and perceptions, and aknowledge that most, if not all, of this is as much art and science.  Just sayin'....

But hell what do I know I'm new here.

ChrisC

Smiley

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #186 - 06/04/22 at 00:30:50

I don't know if this helps or not. I have not tried the CRYOTONE tubes as of yet, but will probably in the future.

With the CSP3, the stock tubes are very, very good. I rolled quite a few tubes in the preamp and think the two best combos for me are stock or Mullard GZ34 (fat base) and 3 Amperex 7308 orange label (1960s & 70s).

I am currently using the Mullard/Amerex, but I could easily go back to stock. They are different, but each have slightly different strengths.

Now, in my main amp - a Mini-Torii, the NOS (Brimar 13D8 and RCA 6v6) are WAY, WAY better than the stock and could not see myself going back. As the Brimar are getting harder to find, I will probably try the CRYOTONE here when needed.

In the SE84CKC in my second system, I use stock but like a few different rectifiers - currently using either a Mullard GZ34 or RCA 5U4. But again, would not be worried if I had to go back to the stock rectifier.

And finally, in the ZP3, it is all NOS and I can't see going back to stock.

In my experience, some of Decware's products sound great with Steve's stock tubes and others get way, way better with NOS. I'm curious to compare with CRYOTONE in the future to the stock and NOS options and see where I stand.

As always trust your ears. And know that Steve is always looking for options to make things sound better, whether we agree that they sound better to us is always up to our perceptions.

Cheers to all.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Tenorman
Verified Member

Reply #187 - 06/04/22 at 00:33:53

DS I think you , Lon and a couple others have made your point ( laced with a lot of sarcasm I might add ). You’re obviously very articulate, clever and have a way with words but enough already .  With all due respect I think you’re beating a dead horse at this point . You’ve tried to dress up your comments very nicely but you must admit you are essentially questioning Steve’s integrity - implying that Steve’s recommendation of Cryotone tubes is opportunistic and has more to do with making a buck then him simply expressing his genuine enthusiasm for Cryotone . I watched Steve’s Cryotone video again on YouTube  .
His enthusiasm for the Cryotone’s  seemed completely genuine and he was simply sharing his excitement.  I believe he stated very clearly in that video that he could totally understand that some listeners might prefer a more typically rich toned tube over  Cryotone but in his opinion Cryotone was technically superior ( quieter with less distortion) .
I give Steve great credit for remaining silent while continuing to allow you and others to post your rather cavalier and sanctimonious opinions/criticism freely

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #188 - 06/04/22 at 04:51:37

Tenorman,

Welcome to the forum and thank you.

I think it would be prudent to respond to some of this conversation prior to your very kind post.

Quote:
I do not appreciate him making a recommendation and then getting butt-hurt because others don't agree, resulting in some tension with the (non?) affiliate, cryotone. Specifically, you and others expressed your opinions objectively and respectfully. He then called into question your ability to express a fair opinion. That's an unprofessional action at best.

Actually I just pointed out that my (and most others) experience was in alignment with Don’s in that the tubes are generally not perceived as bright… Then I made the possible mistake of trying to explain why some would interpret them as bright without having a lawyer look over my posts.

Thankfully Lon knew it wasn’t an attack on him, but my mistake for not realizing others wouldn’t see it that way has been well noted.

Quote:
His actions toward you, allegiance with cryotone, and association with Kevin Deal are not show stoppers, but they are worth noting and not giving him excuses.

This Kevin Deal thing has really backfired. I don’t know him, as I’ve said, but what you don’t realize is that the only videos I have ever seen from him on YouTube are those about NOS tubes and have always been taken by the fact that what he says is overwhelmingly the same as my own experiences.  So when that last video came out, I simply analyzed it’s content, not the person.  I’m sorry the guy is not popular and people immediately connected me to him as a personal recommendation because it is obviously causing problems.  Again, I should have run this past my lawyers or at least common sense so that misunderstandings would be less likely.  I guess this is the growing part and in the future I won’t make the same mistake again. ; )

Quote:
Steve said the following: "The most fascinating part is that if you grade tubes and pick the good ones and Cryo treat each one with it's own recipe, like these guys do, then it doesn't matter the brand, how much it cost, if it was NOS from the Blackburn plant or exotic asian tubes for giant money, they will not sound better.  They can't. The Cryo process is real. It molecularly changes things. You can hear it."

What does this mean? Is Steve saying that the cryo process makes all tubes equal?

No, What I said is the process is real, you can hear it, it changes things.  I was speaking about the process, and yes I was trying to suggest that these attributes which I measured, could not be found in non-cry tubes, no matter what holy grail NOS tube it is.  Again, my lawyers let me down because I can guarantee you that if you had some of those holy grail tubes treated by Don and Rodger they would probably smoke the crap out of the JJ tubes they presently have access to.

The problem is their process is specific to each individual tube and it takes perhaps 100's of trials per tube to perfect the process. That makes creating a process for NOS tubes completely futile for obvious reasons. That only leaves Slovakia and Russia and China the only three places you can get current production tubes with the soon to be exception of Western Electric in the USA.

Quote:
If I follow the context of the statement, that's exactly what he's implying, at the very least. Cryo doesn't change one metal into another,

It actually does.  It takes a metal and molecularly aligns the crystalline structure to a far superior, far stronger material.  Electrically this is similar to single crystal copper or silver wire.  

Anyway, I sincerely apologize for the sloppy writing and decisions that created this unnecessary drama.  I will certainly try to avoid it in the future and all of your points are well taken.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 06/04/22 at 04:59:13

Steve, thank you for your response. Your points are well taken too. Lawyer sarcasm aside, I appreciate that you spoke to each significant point. We can agree to disagree on points of context. Your intent is only known by you. You provided clarification, which is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for addressing my concerns.

Peace

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #190 - 06/04/22 at 05:44:46

🤣🤣🤣 For those noting Toyotas being made in America, touche. I should have said, "if I tubes up a Shinto amp and sold it, that doesn't make it American." Better?

For my part, I apologize for my reading comments in context and responding likewise. Not everyone focuses on grammar and context. That's no slight on anyone as this is a casual thread on all things Decware and audio. Next time I'll ask more questions to get clarification when something seems whack.

Peace

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #191 - 06/04/22 at 07:29:25

So here’s my experience with Cryotone, but before I get into that let me start by explaining my system. I’ve got a 25th anniversary ZMA fed directly by a Sonnet Morpheus DAC- no preamp, which has a Sonnet Herms streamer on the front end. The ZMA is driving a pair of Lee Origin S10. I’ve got Jena Labs Pathfinder I.C. From the Herms to the ZMA and Silversmith speaker cables. I have a pair of REL G-2 subs to augment the bass. I’ve had the REL’s for several years as my system has evolved and I’ve never tried the Lee’s on their own- I just like how the REL’s integrate with these speaker. I also have a stock Zstage- using Jena Labs Symphony IC from the Zstage to the ZMA. My first experience with Cryotone was a 12AU7 tube for the Zstage. As reported earlier in this thread at first I noticed more detail, which was a good thing, but after about four hours my system totally changed and the soundstage took on a transformation that was nothing short of remarkable. What I thought was a very good system turned into t a musical beast. The soundstage now went way beyond the outsides of the speakers.  Now I’m hearing even more detail not just in micro dynamics, but things like the reverb of a guitar and the texture of drums all have a profound realism. I was so excited about this new tube I couldn’t wait to order a set of input tubes, which I ordered four, and when I received them I excitedly installed them And was rather disappointed. they brought more detail out, but adding some brightness to the top end. Not at all volumes, but only when I was really rockin. I was using a set of Gold Lion KT88’s as the driver tubes and lived with this setup for about fifty hours and ended up replacing them with a set of Electro-harmonix 6CA7’s, which softened things up a bit, but things just seemed off. The new tubes just threw everything off. I lived with this setup for while and didn’t connect with the sound. Don’t get me wrong- it sounded darn good, but my system lost the magic I experienced with the first Cryotone tube. I put the KT88’s back in and removed the Zstage. This changed things for the better- not quite the same magic I first experienced ,but closer. The brightness was tamed a bit more, but the music still sounded just slightly off- like the timing was off.
This got me thinking about my room- which has sounds treatments on the back, side walls and the ceiling above the speakers and centered between them. My speakers are 7’ apart and 4’ from the back wall and about 3’ from the side walls. The toe-in is angled so the speaker pointed to an intersection just behind my head. Last week I moved the speakers one foot closer to the back wall maintaining the same intersection point just behind me this helped some, but made the base a little boomy. Actually kinda obnoxious on some songs. Tonight I moved the right speaker out another 6” and changed to toe-in dematically so it’s now it intersects in front of me and HOLLY CRAP everything snapped back into focus and that magic was back and then some.  Every sibilance of brightness disappeared, cymbol strikes sounds cleaner and much more metallic, the boomy base is gone and now has more depth and texture than anything I’ve heard in my room. I’m extremely happy I didn’t give up on these tubes and spent a little time adjusting things to meet their needs. This has been eye opening and is equivalent of a major component upgrade. I will be purchasing a set of Cryotone output tubes, which this time last week isn’t something I was entertaining.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #192 - 06/04/22 at 11:01:14

I've been working with the 6SN7-WC pair this week by changing output tube voltage regulators, rectifiers, the tube in my ZROCK2, speaker placement and some isolation pieces. A lot of the brightness is ameliorated, there's still a "bright" character whenever I make comparisons to other input tubes I use as a control for changes (letting them warm up for about five to ten hours). Which makes me hold fast to my contention that in my system(s), and to my perception these are essentially a bit brighter than neutral, which is how I perceive quite a few tubes others seem to think of as neutral, so that's at least a consistency in my evaluation system. (They present as even a bit brighter when used as the driver tubes in my CSP3 with the 25th Anniversary mods, which I am using as a headphone amp currently.)

These are very good tubes with that caveat of a bright character, I've never said otherwise. I do wish I could have all the not insignificant (though hardly in my opinion "world-shattering" or quite "component changing" levels) improvements in detail and dynamics they offer with a slightly richer character. But if my adult life has taught me anything it's that nothing is perfect and there are compromises everywhere in anything that has more than one "thing" going on.

I'll keep listening, tweaking and acclimating. (And at the same time Steve's output tubes with the Cryotone treatment are "becoming all that they can be" and adding to the whole picture).  At least I have them situated now presenting in a not uncomfortable manner. Like PDX I'm rediscovering how "working on making something fit" can pay off.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #193 - 06/04/22 at 14:20:34

Gentlemen, thank you for bringing this thread back on track.  Last night I caught up on the recent posts and felt that the purpose of this forum had been compromised possibly beyond repair.  Today some hope has been restored.

Once upon a time I could visit dealers and hear components for myself. Distribution of music consisted of going to the record stores.  Surround sound consisted of "4 channel" to which video was added and that became a branch unto itself.  Then came digital - UGH!!!

Things have changed. Thankfully digital has improved.  Now auditioning components in person is severely limited.  That leaves the online experience and forums such as this which requires that we learn to use posts as a starting point to develop our systems. It also means that we will be making adjustments and changes as we purchase components.  That has not changed.  I recall that even with the in person experience I was rolling components as there was no guarantee that I would experience in my home what I did in the dedicated auditioning rooms.

Some of these changes will be made in our rooms as did PDXDrew.  I had exactly the same experience as Drew had with exactly the same CryoTone 12AU7-WCL.  Other changes will involve more based on information presented in posts. Therefore, information that is posted has to be objective and limited to the items and not the assumed intentions of the maker (no sarcasm intended).  When that has been the case I have benefited.

A comment that Lon made on my review of the Omega Vintage 8HO speakers with the CryoTone tubes in my system actually helped to crystallize what I was trying to achieve... "you are the microphone".  I have experienced this in the past but trying to replicate it has been extremely challenging.

Hopefully we can stay on track.  

IP Logged
Tenorman
Verified Member

Reply #194 - 06/04/22 at 17:35:18

Very interesting PDX - after installing the Cryotone tubes in my Croft Mirco 25 RSLS Preamp I also had to adjust the toe in ( slightly ) of my Falcon Gold Badge Ls35a’s to optimize the sound.

I was using my beloved ( strongly measured ) NOS RCA 12bh7 black plate tubes in my Preamp before I replaced them with the Cryotone’s .  Initially I was a bit disappointed as I thought the Cryotone’s sounded slightly sterile in the midrange compared to the richer tonality of the  RCA’s .  I decided to let the Cryotone’s  settle in for a few days before I came to any final conclusions  - I’m glad I did .

After a week I reinserted the NOS RCA tubes for comparison and that lovely tonality of the RCA midrange that I had  perceived as so rich - now sounded a bit mushy compared to the clarity and micro detail  I was hearing in the Cryotone’s mids. Now that I’ve become accustomed to that Cryotone clarity I don’t think I could do without it .

I also find the Cryotone tubes absolutely unflappable at higher volumes or when there are large dynamic swings in orchestral music. The treble region with Cryotone’s is definitely very extended but without distortion . I would never characterize them  as bright though , but  I can understand that others with sensitive ears might . In the end it’s all subjective and to each his own . Based on the previously posted  comments they may not be for everyone but I’ll be sticking with the Cryotone’s. I just purchased 2 more .

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #195 - 06/04/22 at 18:14:34

Not directly Cryotone related, but the idea of moving speakers around in conjunction with rolling tubes had never occurred to me. I did just that after putting some new power tubes in my UFOs and the sound went from great to "face melting" as Steve might say. Just a reminder of how much great information is available on these fora.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #196 - 06/04/22 at 23:00:30

Shoots, why not CryoTone the least expensive 300B’s we can find and use those in the Sarah instead of the $1500 Western Electric. After all, as we all know, CryoTone is the best tube on the market for Decware amps…  Just sayin’…

The prosecution rests…

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #197 - 06/05/22 at 00:26:15

Because not all metal is made of the same alloys.  Different alloys react differently to processing whether that be heat treating, tempering or cryogenic treatment.

The first thing to be determined before processing of any kind is the alloy composition of the metal from which something is made including the metal used in tube plates and wire.  THEN, in the case of vacuum tubes, one has to figure out how to get past the vacuum to get to the right temperature hot or cold depending on the process.  It appears that you have very little understanding of these processes and the time and costs involved.  

Comments of the kind that you are making regarding cryogenic treatment are best ignored which is what I for one will be doing moving forward.  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #198 - 06/05/22 at 02:46:46

Then the first thing that happens is that the metal inside the tube heats up hot enough to glow and undoes everything that the cryo process does.

Sorry folks this is really simple to understand if you think about it.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #199 - 06/05/22 at 02:53:59

Quote:
Posted by: Donnie      Posted on: Today at 02:46:46

Then the first thing that happens is that the metal inside the tube heats up hot enough to glow and undoes everything that the cryo process does...

Its only a small part of the tube (the cathode) that gets red hot, and it most does chemistry (cooking electrons off the cathode coating) not really "electronics." The rest of the tube guts: the plate and the grids and the connecting wires don't get nearly that hot. Presumably that is where whatever magic the cryo treatment does happens.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print