Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:05:23 

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video (Read 51282 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Re:  CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video
Reply #400 - 01/28/23 at 13:42:29

Quote:
but these two tube types from Wathen didn't cooperate with reaching that goal for me.

I can certainly understand and respect that as we all have different tastes and experiences.  Yet, although some paths will be different, there is still something of value as we express what we hear and try to put into words that which is intangible.  

I have benefited from reading what you have posted and are posting.

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #401 - 01/31/23 at 20:44:02

Hi all - With my CSP3 I was trying to rectify a situation wherein I used an Amperex 7308 when listening through the Omega CAMs, but preferred a red-tipped 6N1p from Decware when listening through ZMF Atticus headphones. I was also switching between two Emotive CMX-6 power supplies - one with a copper power cable for headphone use and one with a silver clad copper one for speaker use.

After email consultation with Don, I tried a Wathen ECC88 in the input position of the CSP3. Long story short, I keep the plug in the silver-clad copper power supply and don't switch tubes. The tube has given blacker backgrounds, more sound-stage and a nice micro-detail.

Two issues - the mids sound is a little recessed or more neutral now (Amperex made them sound boosted) and the pacing is a little slower. I'd say the Wathen tubes got me over the need to switch and are 90% there. Overall, I'm enjoying them. I may try the 12AU7 with an adapter next to see what that does.

The Wathen tubes are not perfect, but they are surprisingly good. For now, I'm enjoying that one tube. I don't feel a need to switch them all out - as I worry about it going maybe a bit too clinical for my tastes, but I know I will certainly keep trying them as I go and see what happens. It's nice having another option out there that does something more than hype. Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #402 - 02/12/23 at 13:49:24

Just an FYI as I'm not in the Cryotone camp really, but interestingly I notice that Guitar Center and Musician's Friend are selling some Cryotone preamp tubes and their KT-77 at less than Wathen's website, and I think even after the 10 percent Decware discount they may be a bit cheaper.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #403 - 02/12/23 at 23:38:29

Though I have very limited experience with 300B tubes, I think the Wathen version is a major step up from what I’ve heard before. My amp running 2 Wathen 300B tubes, a couple of Don’s 6SN7’s, a red base 5691 & a pair of flying “C” 5U4G’s is singing sweetly to say the least. But I was surprised to hear Lon mention Guitar Center as just the other day I did some digging in old guitar “junk”. There in a clear tube was a pair of 6L6-GC tubes from when Grove Tubes was a new thing. Early 80’s is what I’m guessing with a receipt showing me getting change back from $35. Well I have been REALLY (am I shouting?) enjoying the Wathen 5670-WC tubes in a 6L6 amp. But it was time to roll in some 6H3n-EB (6N3P) tubes that Don had suggested I try. In the past I had much preferred JAN 5670’s over the 6H3n-EB labeled tubes(in a cute blue & yellow box with a rocket). But after a few sessions these Wathen 6N3P tubes started to deliver the mail, so to speak. Now let’s add the 40+ year old Grove Tubes. To my surprise, the old girl is sounding terrific. Of course there’s no accounting for one’s personal tastes.

subscript on keyboard

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Klipsch Forte IV
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>JBL N26
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601 series I
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #404 - 02/15/23 at 17:12:59

After a week of Wathen 6P3S-WC listening the 5670-WC’s are back in as I prefer their sound in this SEP. The Groove Tubes were wishful thinking & are destined for “tweed” duty. 6P3S-E valves have been rolled back in & life is good. I’ve a new amp due soon, but once the dust settles & the coast is clear, there’s a 6L6, 6V6, EL34 itch that Wathen might help satisfy.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Klipsch Forte IV
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>JBL N26
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601 series I
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #405 - 02/16/23 at 01:02:12

Quote:
EL34 itch that Wathen might help satisfy.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #406 - 02/17/23 at 22:11:52

Well, I didn't expect that to happen.

After 11 months of use, one of my four CryoTone EL34 power tubes in the Torii MKIV failed. No sound.

I spoke with Don at Wathen Audiophile, who had previously helped select CryoTone tubes. He said it was unusual for one of the Cryo-treated tubes to fail after less than a year - they didn't expect that to happen.    

He asked me to return the tubes for investigation, which I did. Once received, he verified what I had described; all the tubes would light up, but there was no sound. One or more must have gone out. He then added, to my surprise, that he would replace the entire set with four matched power tubes at no charge and apologized for the inconvenience.

Over the past year, I have had some enjoyable discussions with Don about my amp and tubes, so I got to know him a little. It did not surprise me that he wanted me to return the tubes for further investigation. Since I thought my situation was a tube anomaly, I was willing to contribute to the cause. However, for him to replace the tubes, I didn't expect that to happen.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #407 - 02/17/23 at 23:26:54

Great service from Wathen and Don. Just ordered 5AR4 rectifier for my upcoming phono preamp upgraded power supply. Everything should be here in a couple weeks.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #408 - 02/18/23 at 23:39:23

That's great to hear about the customer service and replacement.

After listening to the Wathen E88cc for a month in the input location for the CSP3, I've gone back to an Amperex 7308. I really like the space, soundstage, detail and black background of the Cryotone, but I was missing that midrange liquidity and fullness from the Amperex as well as slightly better pacing.

I'll keep using the Wathen with my headphones, but for now I'm preferring the sound of the Amperex with the Omega speakers.

I'm glad Wathen is out there and I'll probably try a 12au7 in the CSP3 input with an adapter later this year. It's nice to have options Smiley.

Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #409 - 02/19/23 at 21:17:26

I have been loving my sound with EL84's and a 5AR4 rectifier.

online raffle generator

Decware UFO2 / Rega P6 with Ania cartridge / Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre-amp / All Kimber cabling / Klipsch Heresy IV
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Re:  CYROTONE Shipment
Reply #410 - 03/22/23 at 22:21:12

Anybody else waiting on Cryotone tubes? I ordered and paid for a complete set of Cryotone tubes for my new Sarah amp over 8 weeks ago. I checked on the status again today as was told to check back next week. Lady was real sweet and she told me that they were very very busy! So last week after nothing shipped from Wathen again, I ordered a pair of Western Electric 300B's and they arrived in two days. Now I'm digging through my tube cabinet trying to find enough tubes for the Sarah (she arrived Monday). But I doubt I'll find 3 OC2's in house. So now I'm really regretting not buying the Sarah with Decware tubes. I thought it was a good opportunity to try Cryotone and not spend the cash for spare tubes upfront. I checked the Decware site and they only show 2 OC2 tubes in stock and I need three. So I have yet to hear the new amp. I've stored it in a dark closet out of my sight in hopes of remaining sane while I wait a little longer for OC2 tubes to be delivered from The Grand Canyon State. Don with Cryotone told me that they are experiencing some tube supply challenges and they hope to get back on schedule soon. If you are about to order Cryotone tubes, call first for updated information and maybe avoid any surprises. Thank for assisting with my venting!
Malcolm

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #411 - 03/22/23 at 22:36:24

Malcolm, let me check--I should have three OC2 that I can send you on hand. I'll let you know later this evening after I get through the dinner hours (I'm cheif cook and bottlewasher and it's about to start).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #412 - 03/22/23 at 22:59:37

Malcolm,

Sorry to hear about your delay. It appears that the Decware popularity is now spilling over to Wathen Cryotone tubes. Both are small family run companies experiencing order overflow.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #413 - 03/23/23 at 01:02:18

Malcolm, I do have three 0C2, two Raytheon (long a staple sent with amps by Steve) and one 75C1. That will set you up and get you going. PM me if that would be helpful. I'll let you have them all at the prices I paid on eBay, which is pretty cheap.

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #414 - 03/23/23 at 02:04:37

Lon,
The offer is exceptionally gracious of you, thank you. I just received a shipping notice from the vendor in AZ. The OC2’s I ordered today are scheduled to arrive Saturday. That’s probably sooner than we could get anything arranged I’m thinking. I really appreciate you checking your inventory and the offer to send them my way. I should probably wait and see if the tubes scheduled for Saturday pan out. Please know I really appreciate your offer and especially all the wisdom you’ve shared on the forum over the years, I ‘ve learned a lot from your posts.
Thanks
Malcolm

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #415 - 03/23/23 at 02:16:20

Well that's great news, you're right, I could get these in the mail Priority tomorrow but those should reach you earlier or the same time. Glad they are on the way.

You're welcome. I always try to have tubes on hand for my own backup or to help others. Picking them up over the years I have boxes of them.

I'm eager to hear your impressions when the SEWE300B is up and running! I suspect it will sound fantastic.

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #416 - 04/17/23 at 08:22:10

Is anyone currently waiting for Cryotone tubes? I have been waiting near a month for a replacement pair of EL84-WC's, and a 5AR4-WC.

I haven't heard anyone mention the wait in a while.

Decware UFO2 / Rega P6 with Ania cartridge / Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre-amp / All Kimber cabling / Klipsch Heresy IV
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #417 - 04/17/23 at 15:33:32

Hi Danny,

I also had to wait to receive the delivery of my CryoTone tubes. I attribute that to a backup of orders. Perhaps Don at Wathan needs to create a waiting list like Decware has done so one knows where they stand. When the tubes arrived, I was more than pleased with their performance, so I had forgotten how uncomfortable the wait was. Hopefully, that will be your experience as well.

One thing to consider, I called Don and asked for an estimation of how much longer the wait would be. That was helpful. He is very personable, as you might already know. In the process, he was instructive on changing my tube selection from one tube type to another, which worked well for me.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #418 - 04/17/23 at 17:11:23

I'm going to echo Tony here, Danny, and recommend a call to Don if you've been waiting.  I have found in the past, more than once, that my order was backed up behind a larger order that was waiting on a tube that he didn't have in stock.  When my order was brought to his attention he robbed my tubes from someone ahead of me that was waiting for the out-of-stock tube to come in, and I got my tubes a few days later.  Don's a very personable fella, and easy to work with.  Just gotta keep those communication lines open.

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #419 - 04/18/23 at 06:19:52

Thanks, guys. I was interested if anyone had a long wait. I received my order months ago, and now I am waiting for EL84 replacements, and a replacement 5AR4 rectifier. One of my EL84 tubes gives a static sound when warming up, and the 5AR4 rings and hums. I love the sound, and I don't wish to change anything about it. I really want the issues I currently have to go away.

Patience...

IP Logged
TieBreak
Verified Member

Reply #420 - 02/04/24 at 00:04:48

Another happy customer of Wathen Audiophile and Cryotone tubes.  I have the Cryotone bundle that I use on my Torii MK5 and do prefer the sound of these tubes.  Don was very kind and helped me pick the right tubes for my preferences.  Great service and tubes.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #421 - 02/25/24 at 03:54:40

Cryotone 12AU7—WCL Long Plate

Holy Shit.  I’ve rolled the following 12AU7 (or equivalents) in my Sarah:

Sylvania
Mullard
RCA Clear Top
Siemens (probably my second fav now)

This Cryotone input tube grabbed me instantly. Damn. Dead silent, rich and resolute with a wide open soundstage, which I tested with my door open (see my Reflecting on Sarah thread for more context) and even sitting two ft behind the sweet spot.

I just can’t get over the resolution of this tube.  This was worth the wait.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #422 - 02/25/24 at 04:01:23

I should also add here that I also hugely prefer the Cryotone ECC88 driver tubes vs. the stock 6H6N drivers that Sarah shipped with.

And while I’m using the Cryotone OC2 VR tubes over the 75C1 that shipped stock, I could see myself using both.  They are both solid.

The 5AR4 rectifier was not a good match with my WE’s so took that out and now testing the 5U4G.

That’s it—I am going to be gunning for the Cryotone 300Bs next in the near future.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #423 - 02/25/24 at 10:08:33

With the exception of the 6SN7 and 5AR4 tubes which I immediately and continuously disliked strongly, Cryotone tubes have really elevated my SEWE300B and ZROCK2 and CSP3. I can't seem to replace my Aqua rectifiers and 75C1. . . but if Cryotone ever cryos 75C1 I'd go for them. . . but that seems unlikely due to supply.

I have never tried the WE300B tubes, but I was surprised at how much more I preferred the 300B-WC in comparison to the Tataksuki that James leant me, I think you'd like the 300B-WC a lot after a few hundred hours Kam.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print