Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 19:37:28 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Returning Fan of Decware Products (Read 46277 times)
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: Returning Fan of Decware Products
Reply #350 - 08/25/23 at 19:29:39

I saw a few posts talking about the Decware house sound, but I can not find those posts.
I'm just going to put this here for now.

I want to make a comment regarding my take on the subject.
Sorry for not being around enough to keep up, folks!

I only have some old school original Decware SE84C amplifiers used as mono blocks. (Yes, James, I have figured out how to go fully balanced from TT to speakers. Digi balance is not possible yet).
I want more current equipment, of course, but everything lifewise has lined up against me getting on the wait list for now.

I read where some were talking about the Decware "house sound" and I have to say that when I substitute tubes or even component arrangements that take me farther from "The House Sound" I am still looking for something else to change. It can be so easy to break the best sound you ever heard just by messing around with placements, isolation schemes or cabling, let alone picking the right tubes.

Some tubes are warmly pleasing and somewhat emotional or even syrupy in the performance. Some are more so.
That is a bit too far away from "REAL" for me.

I like the standard house sound, even with SV83s because it is fast and highly resolving without being hard and unrelenting or too analytical. Spacious and open without being weighty or feeling overloaded.

As mentioned, I think it was Matchstickman who compared it to mushrooms; either you like them or you do not. Good analogy.

Middle ground is still negotiable but too far toward the sweet and tube candy side with the tubey syrup sound, I am not a fan. I'd rather go back to one my many great sounding sand piles than go too tubey and just damn wrong sounding.

I like the power of the middle ground of the House Sound, even lows lying in place, jumping ahead when they do honestly, mids for ever enveloping you with the best of what the recording can offer, enough highs to hear where it all falls into place without making your ears itch or getting tired of any of it all that you hear.

I have only heard other folk's 300B amps and some were nice, but a couple were too tubey for me to care about. It felt like a warm bath at times when I needed a cool shower.

My point is that you can go too tubey and you might like that at first, but the more you listen the more you want to come back to The House Sound!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #351 - 08/31/23 at 20:12:04

On another note, regarding the newly deployed double W15 H-Frame enclosure, it has been over a week since I even turned it on.

I have been mostly listening to older jazz music and I honestly do not miss anything from the lowest octave. Yet?

... maybe that is because I have not turned it on, but that question has not even been thought of much.

I have moved it around some, just enjoying how powerful of a bass absorber the loaded enclosure can be, even with the connections shorted at times, but it has not been active in a while.

So, I have not forgotten or neglected its value, but just not felt the need to activate it.

As I mention this, I am intending to replay the last piece and look for anything untoward or mismatched as I power it up for the first time in a while.
This is how I work. Go with for a while and then without for a while then back and re-assess my early conclusions. Then back, then back to re-confirm.
It is my way of weeding through a euphoria of psychoacoustics brought on by any change I have made.
Suffer at first to make sure you don't become one of Einstein's insane.

A fair point to be taken forward is that the run of the mill F15s in a smallish 36" tall rounded baffle with about four or five watts driving them can do most everything I expect out of a speaker system in a small room on their own.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #352 - 09/06/23 at 14:31:35

After discovering the box of reel to reel tapes of classic performances on production released tapes, I did an impromptu test with my newish W15 drivers powered up with the H Frame Subwoofer system.

I played Miles Davis at first "Live-Evil' and then re-ran the tape with the subwoofer active.
I have to admit that there is a significant difference in the lower registers with the subwoofer system active, using this analog tape as a source. I went to another tape as well, but I also had to come back to a CD version of this music. I had to try it!

The CD of "Live-Evil" has nothing that makes a difference down low on this recording.

When I played "Electric Ladyland" after goofing with the Live-Evil tape for a while, I found all kinds of low frequencies included in the recording processes that the tape revealed. Most especially on the "Voodoo Chile" live recording, the long bluesy one on the album.

I did not go back and play a CD version for this one, since I am quite familiar with how those that I have sound. I knew within seconds I was hearing music from the tape that was "compressed out" or what ever from the CD releases.

I next played the Dave Brubeck, Take Five on tape and again I noticed a not small difference in how the music "rolled" into the room with the subwoofer system active. I tried it both ways several times on this tape and compared it both ways to my '90s era CD.

The CD sounds fine and it is a favorite of mine, but there is not much difference using the subwoofer system or not when playing the CD.

Playing the tape, it feels like the music is elevated or lifted above the floor and speakers quite enough to notice a big difference in whether or not the subwoofer system is active or not.

I am not saying that the Brubeck recording has any substantial content in the lower octave as we normally listen, but there is something more than a CD can reproduce that is inherent in the tape presentation.

Of course, I am leaving the subwoofer system active while I play "Dark Side Of The Moon" because the mix is deliberately infused with a bit more low frequency accentuative content than most recordings of those days.

I've set the old tape machine to rest for a while longer.
It's probably been thirty years since I listened to any tapes except for my Dad's recordings with his buddies, made in our living room for the most part.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #353 - 09/15/23 at 22:19:45

I am always having people looking me up and wanting to dump old gear on me. Mostly cousins, nephews and brothers of old music industry acquaintances. I suppose it is my fault from helping so many make connections to others in need.
Moving amps and guitars, PA gear and rack items into the right hands seems helpful to me.

But I had a guy call me and come by, wanting to drop four old JL Audio 12" car subwoofers on me. One was blown, but I have no need for any of them. I said I can't use them. Find someone who can.
In fact, I have never used any of those drivers except for once loading a Wicked One I had built for someone and they had already bought the big ass clumsy drivers.

Honestly the mid-fi JBLs at half the price worked better in a full sized WO, mainly because they were 14dB more efficient - but could only take 1/4 the power though so that made them "bad" to idiots. I know what I am doing, here!

Why go to a doctor with a booboo and not do what the doctor suggests? Because you're an idiot.

I have been dealing with a plumber (some nonsense with the sprinkler system - crap), an electrician (a few GFCIs acting old and an outdoor fixture in need of parts, several outdoor outlets not working - just crusty, I'm sure. Rather pay and have it all done than to mess with it at my stage in life), the cable company saying my network has some incompatibility problems with upload performance (we aren't youtubers or podcasters - we have no need to ever upload much) and getting my son's car to a donation site.
He broke his Jeep Patriot rear end driving over a parking lot barrier.

Hell, in my thirties, I was scrounging for a Kleenex box, messing with the radio, distracted while driving my new girlfriend from work and did the same thing in an '82 LTD at about 30 mph, jumped a parking barricade and nothing broke. Knocked the hell out of us. Upset us both, but no harm to the car.

I mean if my kid is out there driving some Jeep baby that can't jump a bump, WTF!!?!!
We fixed the ass end and got rid of that POS.

Anyway how am I supposed to do something smart with three useless car audio drivers?

I think Goodwill is going to have something fun on the shelf for some lucky guy tomorrow.

I'm getting rid of stuff! Hell, I still have a little 24x8x2 PM2000 Yamaha board to do something with.
Smiley

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #354 - 09/15/23 at 22:28:53

Quote:
Posted by: Same Old DD      Posted on: Today at 14:19:45

...I have been dealing with a plumber (some nonsense with the sprinkler system - crap)...

In a previous life I did rocket science. And we had a saying around the office "rocket science is easy, plumbing is hard."

Sorry you're dealing with all that stuff.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #355 - 09/15/23 at 22:39:39

I have tried to swear off plumbing so many times, but I think I have finally gotten there!

No more plumbing!

Funny is that, some of this is just a "Day In The Life" it seems.

I love The Beatles, btw.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #356 - 09/16/23 at 02:43:18

I was going to share this funny but I don’t have enough posts yet to share a link.
So if you do the http thing in front of this maybe you can watch it.
://m.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I&t=7s&pp=ygUjYnJhaW4gc3VyZ2VvbiByb2NrZXQgc2N
pZW50aXN0IGpva2U%3D

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #357 - 09/22/23 at 19:16:30

Will have to sit down and write up a long list of all the things I´ve been up to in audio last 10-15 years since I was on here...

Well managed to break a ladders top wrung just as I stepped onto it going down of a roof last monday, fell backwards and landed on my shoulder so typing's a little arduous just now, but long story short I´ve always come back to the sen84´s albeit they like grandpas broom now and the HDT´s but guess no upgrades on the Zens in 10 years apart from some tube swapping, mostly on the rectifiers tells me I´m pretty much set in that department. I´ve mostly been having adventure´s in the analogue domain past decade that´s taken me some interesting places and to meet interesting people of which I might go into later. Needless to say the Zen HDT combo is still impressing people but then they can handle some pretty exotic front ends with ease and never leave me wanting for more.
In fact that goes for the front end too, I mostly just buy records these days as that was the whole point of it all, the music.

Best for now, will update what´s been done to the Zens when my shoulder is a bit less sore, Doctors told me I´d be off work for 3 weeks but think I´ll be good to go on Monday so shows what they know but falling 15 feet and landing on ones shoulder with out breaking anything is a pretty lucky escape all things considered.

Rap.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #358 - 09/22/23 at 19:24:07

Hey Rap, lucky indeed that there was no breaks. Relieved to read that! If you can take the time off to rest, don't rush back to work.

I've been retired for fifteen years now, lucky enough to retire young. My system would be a lot less ornate and have not gone through so many upgrades were I still working. Still, even with all the improvement and equipment change and focus. . . it's about music for me, as you say. Without music. . . I don't know what I would do. . . I would certainly be someone DIFFERENT.

Thanks for checking in. Heal and enjoy the music.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rap

Reply #359 - 09/29/23 at 01:35:02

Thank´s Lon,
Well miraculously I´m back at work all this week, still dont understand how I managed to not do myself serious harm.

Well I´m happy to see how well Decware is doing, use to be a well guarded secret that not many knew about but Youtube seems to be sending me a lot of reviews and videos along with story´s of long waiting lists for delivery...
Which suggests a healthy demand and people are willing to wait for their amps and speakers, not common in this age of instant gratification. Well as you know I fell down the vinyl rabbit hole about 16 years ago now and that´s been the main focus in hifi, But think that says a lot about where the Decware amps and speakers in my system where at, not much to improve for my needs so focus moved on to arms and turntables... I think it´s like with my TT´s I started out with an Idler-drive Lenco and having come back full circle to those again, even my EMT or Thorens LB 150 or the TD124 dont have the same charm. There is a frugality to it that seems to tick some boxes for me though when most things have been tweaked or changed as with my SE83 pairs it´s possible to lose what made it special so a little back and forth is also part of it, not all changes are improvements....

I read a bit about your experience with the  Sofia Aqua II´s witch sound pretty amazing til one looks at the price,,,  :P I´m using some dirt cheap Soviet 5U4G´s having changed the power supply to fit better with the lower first-cap needs of the GZ32 flavour...(having burned through a pair of Mullards and a quad of Mazdas along the way...

I hope one day I´ll get round to setting up the Radial diy´s again or finishing the Visatron b200 OB´s but for now the HDT´s seem to fit my needs the best and the room I have...

Oh well maybe if I retire though that´s 20 years off ...

Rap.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit..."
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #360 - 09/29/23 at 10:02:55

I'm so glad you escaped serious damage and are back at work. Oh youth! I used to be able to bounce back quickly too.

I want to clarify one thing in your post: my experience is with the original Sohia Electric Aqua, not yet the new Aqua II. As fellow member Rick let me know yesterday that there was a "B" stock sale on the new Aqua II I ordered one. If it works out to be a real improvement. . . I'll have some of the original Aqua to sell as my Monoblocks needed pairs and I bought back ups.

I bet it is an improvement as Sophia Electric seems to have a habit of making real improvements. Exciting times in my audio world with the SEWE300B being all it can be and impresing me so well.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rap

Reply #361 - 09/30/23 at 20:25:03

Ah, well reading the literature it´s the ability to use a larger value first cap that is the interesting bit. I changed my power-supply to a C-L-C-R type where I dropped the value of the first capacitor value to 20 uF but as chokes typically have lower resistance (think this one is around 50-60 ohms) it´s still a strain on the rectifiers the second Capacitor is a 32 oil in paper (big as a coke-can) and the last resistor is a 50 ohm to drop voltage to the pin-out values given in the schematic of the Zen. Hum at speaker posts is down but at the cost of a little "speed" in attack, no free lunches..

I´m interested in the Aquas as they rate a 47 uF in the first position keep me in mind if your selling your pair Lon...

as always best regards Rap.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #362 - 09/30/23 at 20:44:32

You're on my mind Rap.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #363 - 09/30/23 at 22:37:20

I hope you can continue with updates, Rap.
Great to see you back around!

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #364 - 10/02/23 at 03:03:18

Thank´s DD, same
When I saw you and Lon chatting it up on one of my very infrequent visits here it brought back some fun times we had and nice discussions and made me have to throw in a comment and a hello.
Audio is subjective and what with our diminishing hearing with age... I guess it´s becoming more subjective than anything. Well at least one can focus on the fun bit and I think the brain is half the hearing anyway.. it´s putting it to words that can be the  hard bit, I´ll take a leaf out of your book DD and try to be less terse as it hardly helps with getting ones point over if one is too reticent. I guess the less time one has the more time one uses.. lol
I did change out the power-supply for a 240v version as the old zens came with 120 transformers and running them of step-ups was less than optimal noise-wise for the rest of the system. I also changed out some capacitors for silver and coper foils .ect the normal pimping for marginal gains input caps and input chokes and as I run the zens in mono wire I did away with the switching of the bias (that little toggle switch at the front) as I never listen to them in anything but the higher bias setting. I removed the out-put transformers and put a single Trancender 3k SE in each amp to fit the HDT´s better in the bass department... I ran out of space inside of cause so might look a bit odd but it´s functional.. See if I remember how to post pictures on here....

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #365 - 10/02/23 at 03:04:29

That´s picture under one of the Zens, can see the large 10H choke at the back then a large 32 uF pio and finally the Trancender 3k in the foreground.

hmm seems I could use a refresh of how to post properly sized pictures..

(chaotic as always) Rap.  :o

Ps , those are  special audio dust bunnies under there... helps give it a dryer more ethereal sound  :P

dec2_001.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #366 - 10/06/23 at 15:24:53

The man leaves the forum for a decade, but no known power can pry the soldering iron from his paws!

Grin

So, did things improve?
Just curious.
I plan to keep mine as original classics and someday upgrade to more modern equipment when the stars align to favor me.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #367 - 10/06/23 at 16:25:33

I had talked in the summer about upgrading my outdoor sound, where we enjoy our firepit, to something more permanent. I have done so now.

I had my full range speakers installed by that time. I used JBL 8140 Industrial 8" drivers designed for rough service and Infinite Baffle operation, four of them, evenly spaced along the upper eves of the house. I created three zones by wiring the first and third as Left and the second and fourth as Right.
NO consideration as to which was recorded as L or R; I just wanted some sound out there.

One of the requirements to keep everyone happy was to buy a Bluetooth capable amplifier that could be mounted under the eves as well.

I bought one of these Dayton products:

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-2.1BT2-100W-2.1-Class-D-Bluetooth...

Honestly, this is about ten times more power than I feel like I need out there, but it was available and cheap, plus it came with a power supply. Many similar do not. So, a turn key deal!

Except, it also has a subwoofer channel, which I really did not want to mess with  -  at first.
So, if you want a self contained Bluetooth solution, you have to buy more tech than you want, as it turns out.

I built a small three foot long, flat as possible subwoofer enclosure with dual slot ports about two feet each, mounted it up tight to the eves and I love it. This little flat woofer got the call. I've spent more money than I wanted, but the results are worth the effort.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-LS10-44-10-Low-Profile-Subwoofer-Dual...

The sound overall is way better than I had in mind from the first conception of this idea.
I made a little "birdhouse" for the amp with some venting, painted everything the same color as the eves and you can barely even notice anything is going on up there.
Only main giveaway is that the power supply for the amplifier has to be plugged in to an existing outlet, all that got the paint job as well. It almost disappears!

Only problem with that little amp is that it is very popular. When I ordered it they had five left. A few days of goofing with it and my son wanted one for his "work."  But, they were out of stock and still are for a few more weeks.

Now I'm watching for both my neighbors to be gone at the same time so I can crank it a little bit. The coverage is perfect and the sound is wonderful for an evening around the fire. It was a lot more effort, but came out even better than I had hoped!

Smiley

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #368 - 10/12/23 at 19:30:12

Quote:
"So, did things improve?
Just curious.
I plan to keep mine as original classics and someday upgrade to more modern equipment when the stars align to favor me."

Oh man, I´ve forgotten how to do quote´s  too...

But to answer that question. I think so.. It´s hard to say when Grandads broom stops being same broom having changed the handle and the brush multiple times. But regarding the power-supply I did need to make changes to run gz32´s for any period of time so went a bit further by replacing the pi filter resistor to a choke and then running a 50 ohm resistor after it to get the operating current´s and the stress on the GZ32´s down same time... It takes a little bit of tuning as the first capacitor size will affect the voltage after the filter and going down in capacitance on the first cap also increases the ripple so it´s a little bit one step forwards one step backwards...
I decided not to use a LCRC filter as I actually need the voltage drop that using a CLRC filter gives. The effect on the sound is bigger than one would suspect well as I thought anyway, most real engineers know that all an amp is really doing is swinging current from the power-supply so the power supply really is critical or at least has to be pretty decent to begin with...
Well to stop rambling and answer the question I find that I do lose a little bit of transient attack of notes but noise floor drops by more than half measured at the speaker outputs.

The Trancender 3k output transformers are a better match for dual sv83´s into the 8 ohm load of the Fostek´s and even though mono run original 1.5k Decware transformers give you same over all it´s not optimal for an amp that´s only ever going to be run in Mono. The Trancenders are also mounted outside of the chasse so that´s a plus too.

I removed the input resistor (volume pot) into the amp and us an input choke there and as I run inputs into it through a buffer stage impedance matching is less of an issue I also use a Passive pre in front of said Buffer (NVA dual mono passive pre)

I´m not sure some of my mods make much sense but they are fun and that´s the main thing. Using big Pio´s and silver in paper along with coper bypass caps is hardly what a sensible engineer like Steve would do but then it´s also cost vs performance and Im sure me spending 2 times what the amps cost´s to eek out maybe 10% perceived improvements is hardly to be recommended, but in the ironic words of one of my professors at school. "Ah I see you have found it more rewarding to use 3 weeks in the lab instead of wasting a whole hour at the library"

Anyway I´ve been pretty content last few years, til couple of weeks ago I lost one of my Mazda gz32´s and had to put in some standby 5u4g of unknown Russian vintage. So I started googling around what was available and saw the new Aqua 274b´s then started googling them and that led to Lon and this place (full circle) it´s a funny old world...

Rap.

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #369 - 10/12/23 at 23:41:57

I can sympathize with that last paragraph Rap. I have a pair of SV83 monoblocks that desperately need to be re-tubed and Lon’s praise for the Sophia products have me intrigued. My SE84 is honed in on Wathan tubes but with the 83’s we’re talking 10 tubes and $1300 for the Cryotone product where the SE84 only needs 4 tubes and sounds just as good if not better.  Not that Sophia’s would be less $ but common sense is telling me to sell the monoblocks and the academic in me wants to spend 3 weeks in the lab and hear both the Cryotones and Sophia’s both. Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #370 - 10/13/23 at 09:06:13

That seems like a lot of changes, Rap. Easy to follow the way you layed it out, though.

I had some struggle with tubes a bit ago as well. First to go was a rectifier and I was short on nice ones or matches.
Never again will that happen. I have bought many tubes of all sorts over this past year. It had been a while since I bought tubes. Some sticker shock was one trauma and finding stock was the next.

I have been pleased with my most recent "Chevy driver" purchase of Shuguang 5U4G rectifier that have been cryo'ed and come in at about $90 per from Tubeman. Very affordable, but fit the bill for sure.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #371 - 10/13/23 at 14:47:56

Indeed DD,

It does help to be to dumb to let a little soldering stop you and changing the power supply is maybe akin to converting a car to run on Methane in that it´s basically the same (car) sound though just a bit more of it and keeping the operational voltages at each stage seems to be the main feature in that. Changing the output transformers does not have as big an impact on the sound as one would think, at least not in this case, probably because the original scramble-wound opt´s were rather good and the Trancender is about same though with a little bit better noise rejection. It´s funny how many circles one can run round to try to end up in the same place...

Most important is it´s fun and one learn´s a bit about amplifier design and traidoffs in said designs.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #372 - 10/13/23 at 14:54:41

Quote:
I can sympathize with that last paragraph Rap. I have a pair of SV83 monoblocks that desperately need to be re-tubed and Lon’s praise for the Sophia products have me intrigued. My SE84 is honed in on Wathan tubes but with the 83’s we’re talking 10 tubes and $1300 for the Cryotone product where the SE84 only needs 4 tubes and sounds just as good if not better.  Not that Sophia’s would be less $ but common sense is telling me to sell the monoblocks and the academic in me wants to spend 3 weeks in the lab and hear both the Cryotones and Sophia’s both. Smiley

Never given Cryoed tubes any thought, always seemed a bit lipstick on pig if you´ll pardon the phrase. Guess it´s mostly down to never hearing a propper A/B comparison but different is not always better, sometimes it´s just different.

When it comes to the output power tubes the 6p15p-EB ´s have always seemed more than adequate especially as they lend them selves to the x-mass mod. The biggest impact has been the rectifier tube even though every tube plays a part and it´s a sum of parts, sometimes with luck, the outcome is higher than said sum.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #373 - 10/16/23 at 01:12:30

Sorry if not posting, seems I have a lot of "homework" catching up on what´s been the theme of this thread (am on page 4now...) Still probably better then back in the day when I followed every single thread on the forum and almost every single post..

Rap.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #374 - 10/16/23 at 01:34:32

Ahh I´ve read up and see I´m butting into DirtDawgs update as I didn´t realise "returning fan of Decware" was reference to DD and not just anyone who happened to pass by  :P

Sorry for butting in DD and please continue.. I´ll make a thread "returning pest.." and post updates there...  ;D

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #375 - 10/16/23 at 02:00:11

Stop it, Rap!

I started this thread as a way to reintroduce myself after having been gone for so long I was not sure anyone I knew (of) before was even still here.

Then, things had changed dramatically in my own life and were still changing so fast it was hard to keep up at times.  And, instead of starting twelve new threads about things going on, I just kept this one going.

I feel I named it cleverly if it invites long gone/returning members to check in and post about their return. That includes you.

If you read on there is NO theme. This thread has been here for breakfast and the shitter, talked about everything, then to Hell and back with many opinions and "friends" joining in on many avenues and riding out the curves.

One member even referred to me as a "prodigal son" upon my return.  I have to assume that meant that at one time I was almost a fixture that had gone on to seek other sustenance in the vast yonder and finally returned home to where we know the best is yet to come.

I invite you to share all that you have encountered within your travels as another prodigal son seeking some solace from the unclean lands and finally returning back home again, where you belong.

I have just continued to post my update challenges here to keep from cluttering the forum with so many "unrelated to Decware business" threads.

You and all are welcome to post about BBQ or a new dog or the haircut that made you cry or anything you want, right here.
This thread has already been all over creation and back.

Stick around, Pal! That's the main thing.

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #376 - 10/16/23 at 16:09:16

Quote:
You and all are welcome to post about BBQ or a new dog or the haircut that made you cry or anything you want, right here.
This thread has already been all over creation and back.

Stick around, Pal! That's the main thing.

I´ll chuck another dog on the BBQ next time I get a haircut...

Ok thanks mate, just making sure I wasn´t barging in..

Must say it does help to have a bit of a chat and catch-up in one place and not all over the thread, for me at least..

Rap.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #377 - 10/22/23 at 22:22:45

I found a Luxman preamp I might be able to trade for a couple of cowboy perk ups.

I have it working good things in my system right now, but honestly, I don't really hear much of an advantage over the old multiple 12AX7 pre.

It does have balanced ins and outs, so I want to trade for it, if we can work a deal. I've never had a Luxman anything before.

I don't really want to start a gun discussion, but I am fat and happy and my "friend" is short, skinny and quite shy. Prices for a new/used acquisitions in that realm are completely insane right now.
Luxman prices seem kind of stupid, too.

I am hoping that adding in a K of ammo will tip the scales in my favor.

If so, I will have a more modern higher grade preamp to work in to my rig.
If not, I will consider one more concession, but that one old hunter will be it.

We'll see how it goes. I only have just so much more I am willing to let go of right now.
The Luxman IS enticing!

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #378 - 10/23/23 at 13:50:41

Well you can always trade the Luxman out again if it´s not doing what you expect.

Pre-amps eh, Never went down that road, have a passive pre running through a buffer stage and stand-alone phono stages but if your after the balanced outputs-inputs I guess it makes sense to go powered-pre...

Hope you get it done, and like said a Luxman will not lose any value so can always horse-trade it later...

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #379 - 11/10/23 at 16:35:57

Well seems I´ve killed this thread...

But these arrived today from Jazzmaster Lon

As can see the big box had a smaller box (the original box sent to Lon from Sophia) but Lon boxed that box inside a bigger box stuffed with bubble-wrap..

I think they wouldn´t have needed to land the plane and could have dropped it on my house from 30k feet with out any damage, such was the level of care Lon took with theses and I am extremely grateful too.

I Stuck them in the amps just to verrify they turn on but have been holding off using them in anger til I got some clarifications from Sophia about their operational specs...

I sent them a mail asking about the specs and explaining the CLCRC stage I´m using but all I got back was:

Quote:
" 47uf is the maximum capacitor value you can use.

Best,
William"

yeah thanks...

I´m going to go over the PS modifications I made before running these.. just in case...

Thanks again Lon, for taking the time to pack these and the hassle of sending it to me up here in Iceland...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #380 - 11/10/23 at 19:31:50

Rap, glad they made it there unscathed, I did try to package them "just right." I have an idea they will be fine in your amps. . . here's hoping. They are great rectifiers.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #381 - 01/16/24 at 03:46:43

Ever since I bought the W15s from Lii Audio, I have wondered if having the W15 and the F15 in the same baffle would solve a few things for me.

As winter hinders some of my efforts, I plan to make another "sandwich" baffle (birch ply/MDF/birch ply) about the same size as the single barrell shaped baffle that I have been using for one F15 per side.

This one will support both a W15 and an F15 on the same plane. Bi-amped, Zens on the F15 and McIntosh on the W15, crossed fairly low, using the speaker outs from the Zens for a low signal, crossed at about thirty Hz or so.

The H Frame subwoofer system is set aside and stored for now. I am hoping to NOT ever feel a need for a third enclosure in my room with this newest configuration of open baffle magic.

We'll see ...

IP Logged
Rap

Reply #382 - 01/21/24 at 03:24:23

Hope you get round to it, I´ve still not gotten round to making those OB´s that Mr Content was kind enough to send me the dimensions of and for which a pair of Visaton b200´s have been sitting for a decade now...Somehow the lyrics from "Big Rock Candy mountains" is playing through my head.

p.s A pair of radial drivers knocking around somewhere in basement too...Been too happy with the HDT´s I guess and not adventurous enough if I have time I seem to be building bookshelves for the wife instead of speakers..

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #383 - 01/28/24 at 13:57:51

Rap, I have been making our "new" home (two years in, now, so not really new anymore) more livable and up to date with new this and new that, rather than ordering my own Sarah, Phono Stage, ZP3 or ZRock just now.
Every (spendy) project I have orbiting my mind has been sort of back burnered with other priorities favored.

I am on a mission to improve my existing speakers over the winter months. I still love these F15s, but working with the lack of low end performance by adding an additional driver crossed low for some "elevation."

When I get that lowest octave about right all the rest of the music presentation rides a little higher on the room and it is not just a single dimension that is improved in soundstage height.
The depth that was already there, but you had to dig for to hear well, is just more available to the room.

I have gotten my flat glue ups done for my dual 15 baffles. It took a while for the glue to dry, Titebond II, cold and wet out there, and I only have enough clamps to do one at a time.
The goal is that my baffle will support both the W15 at floor level and the F15 at ear level. Instead of a standard barrel shaped baffle or some stylized rectangle plan, I am going to use more of a bell shape.

It will be sort of like Randy's Tombstone shape, but flared out a tiny bit at the area which mates to the floor. I doubt there will be a significant sonic benefit from slightly more floor contact. I believe that the shape will add an aesthetic I tend to reach for more these days.

Think of the typical "notification bell" on your browser and I am making one large enough for two fifteen inch drivers, three ply thick pegged to a glued up base made out of affordable yellow pine (for now, anyway) to keep it upright and stable to the floor.  This is the third mock up version I have done with these drivers.

All subwoofers are removed from the room. As I go forward, I still have several drivers I can substitute for the W15s, always seeking the best blend.
I have to admit that the W15s mate very well with the F15s, as they should. My only complaint might be that they really do not go very low at all.
My first lesson will be to determine if what the W15s do bring to the show is going to be enough for me to not look at another pair of boxes with subwoofers in them in the future.

Only other thing that I would love to see would be a Zen electronic crossover.
I am thinking that some of the old studio microphone preamps that had a cut circuit in them might work without much more than modernization and of course getting the cut range right. But, as with all engineering challenges, if you can not make it perfect, then make it adjustable.

A simple Zen adjustable tube based electronic crossover would not be THAT hard to build. Would it?
Hmm...

IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #384 - 02/01/24 at 13:44:25

DD, have you seen the ABX baffles? I haven’t seen them done with Lii drivers but their cutouts look interesting.

Here is a link: http://abxaudiophiles.org/abx-baffles

I’ve read various places online claim that combining the F15 and W15 takes away from the natural bass of the F15. I thought this was one of the advantages of the Liionides design where the separate panels reduced the low frequency interference between the drivers.

I am happy with mine, but can’t say they are the best. Like you, I always feel like I am missing the foundation if I don’t have my bass drivers on.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #385 - 02/21/24 at 12:57:39

Those are some beautiful baffles! I love seeing other's ideas come to life.

I am a little too far in to the bell shaped single baffle idea to support both F15 and W15 per side to go a different direction for right now.

I am expecting that the dual fifteen baffle with be more than adequate for my small room. I am not yet comvinced that the Lii Audio W15 is the better low end answer. It actually does not go very low.

My aged infinite baffle Daytons Fs at 22Hz and the Jamos are 16Hz for the Fs number. Both are lightly built and fairly efficient as fifteens go.

Once this bell baffle has seen some time with the W15/F15 combo, I intend to to do some switching in and out of the low frequency driver arrangement.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print