Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Rectifier tubes~
02/20/24 at 18:18:48

Quote:
Posted by: MikeinMontana      Posted on: Today at 10:09:37

I ... was wondering, why do some rectifier tubes have 4 pins and others have 5 pins?

The short (snarky) answer is because they are different tubes. . The "5 pin tubes" are actually a 8 pin aka octal base, same as e.g. a 6L6 or 6SN7 but rectifiers only need 4 (or sometimes 5) connections so they save money by only including 5 pins. They all have the center key to ensure you put them in right.

The "4 pin tubes" use an older base, aka UX4, same as a 300B. You can find versions of many rectifiers with either base, i.e. 5Z3 is the 4 pin version of the 5U4G and Type 80 is the 4 pin version of the 5Y3. You can look on ebay for a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter, search for "5z3 to 5u4g adapter". The 4 pin tubes have 2 larger and 2 smaller pins so that is how they are keyed.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Re: Rectifier tubes~
Reply #1 - 02/20/24 at 18:27:32

Wink Nah..not snarky at all James. A good sense of humor~  Got to have that! I used to have a couple of Mad magazine books titled snappy answers to stupid questions. Weird the things I can remember.  [smiley=lolk.gif] As long as that 5 pin 5u4G fits and works as the current 4 pin (when working) ...all good! 8 pin socket. Thank you James...again!  [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print