Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 11:46:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Perceived differences for listening preferences.. (Read 170 times)
1stwattlife

Perceived differences for listening preferences..
02/23/24 at 21:15:08

A small example with the combination of the Zrock3 and the SE84UFO

Upon testing of a fresh Zrock3 build using an SE84UFO/dummy loads monitoring a 1K Sine wave on an Oscope the systems where set to max out all available functionality of the Zrock3 without clipping the amp. This particular amplifier is using stepped volume control. This is useful in a testing situation because it is very easy to change the setting and then reset it to a specific spot.

for music testing found in the suggested songs list  under a slightly less than desirable playlist there was listed a track from a long forgotten album (for me)... track #7 from Mickey Harts 1991 release Planet Drum: Temple Cave.

This Track roared into life! Deep rolling bass, an airy midrange punctuated very nicely by  the various percussive instruments. VERY NICE and super fun. I immediately thought " this a great combination"

... but, the real magic often is revealed in the difference from a source straight to the amplifier. Swapping to and from the ZR3 several times was interesting. What the Zrock 3 added was an incredibly full body, reaching its fullness out into the low and high frequency areas easily without over bloomed bass or shrieking highs as if the typical smile eq was applied splitting the difference of the curves around the -0- mark [ instead of the midrange staying at 0] with a slight dip in the mid range to accentuate a slightly less boosted high and low section while maintaining the same overall spread of the smile but with less curve needed to accomplish the same effect and with more resolution than I think you get with the usual 'smile'.

To be fair in reference, the same track at the same volume through the SE84 UFO still sounded very nice. Slightly softer and presented itself in a much more laid back manner. The Zrock3 added weight and almost aggressive stance on this track which changes the feel of the song to a seemingly truer/fuller tone.

I would challenge anyone with access to a version of this album to use this song as a test track to explore any of your available listen options. Use a zrock, preamp, bias combos, gain riding, whatever you have available and post your thoughts on perceived differences for listening preferences and the experience. How does that sound? Anyone in?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print