Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 21:45:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More DIY cable options? (Read 1448 times)
Coyote
Seasoned Member

More DIY cable options?
12/06/21 at 00:45:31

Greetings all,

Here we go Smiley

Yes yes: Garbage in garbage out.
Yes yes Cables matter.
And yes yes I (mostly) agree with everything else.

But!

I am wiiiiiiildly deviating from my usual mantra that you change one component at a time see the improvement match & tune it and then move to change the next weak component.

In these changes I kNoW, the speaker cables and likely the power cables and interconnects will need upgrades. But these changes I wish I could do later. The only ones that really cannot be delayed are the speaker cables.

They will likely need to be changed again after some burn in time on the UFO2 and tuning all the peripherals. So I am not about to spend thousands on speaker cables at the moment.

That big long disclaimer being done (!)

Has anyone used RAMM audio OCC Amadeus cable (I am think the 7 serie)

http://aecoustics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67&products_id=2...

What was your experience, do you recommend them etc etc

My hope is to find a solution in the 400$ for 5M of cable. Likely connected direct with no spade or banana connectors.
We had a thread about this somewhere else but not about these cables.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Audionumber3
Verified Member

Re: More DIY cable options?
Reply #1 - 12/06/21 at 01:07:15

Why not consider Decwares speaker cables? They are very transparent and improved my system like a major component upgrade.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/06/21 at 03:23:56

You can try Duelund DCA 12 or 16 with little to no risk.  It’s so cheap that if you don’t like it you can pitch it in the trash!  I happen to really like it in my system.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 12/06/21 at 05:31:24

Coyote,

Cables are a big topic area of conversation and can be  system dependent.  I think the bigger picture for anyone to nail down based on their system is whether or not you want to go with a pure copper, pure silvers, or a combination of the two.  Then you can narrow it down to insulated or open air.  The geometry of the wiring and the purity of the metal also plays a big role in this as well.  Then you should think about the cables capacitance and inductance.  Yes….the topic can get crazy!!  

Personally I have been lately partial to the combination of silver and copper wires.  With my new home build … I just purchased 2 separate 35 foot runs of the DH Labs T-14 speaker wire.

https://silversonic.com/products/bulk-wire-and-cable/bulk-speaker-cable/t-14-spe...
aker-cable/

I’ve been using the T-14 in my current and temporary system for a while now and really do like the sound.  After a long conversation with the company… they  indicated that they have done speaker runs of up to 50 feet with the same cable in higher end home theater systems with great results.  At like $12 a foot, it is a nice balance of quality vs cost.  If you want to really jump into their next level cable… You can go with their Q-10 at $24 a foot.

https://silversonic.com/products/bulk-wire-and-cable/bulk-speaker-cable/q-10-4-c...
onductor-speaker-cable/

Then after that… The prices get crazy for their super expensive cables.  The Decware ZSTYX get rave reviews… and if I was utilizing shorter speaker runs I would probably have given them a try. Unfortunately  I have not heard any reviews on the Decware site of the cables you are looking at. I’m sure with a lot of responses you will get everybody’s own recommendation on a cable that they like…including myself.

But I think the take away here that’s more important is to narrow down what I had indicated in the first paragraph.  Those factors will help you narrow down the field a bit to help you make a more educated decision.

Hope this helps and happy listening!!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print