Send Topic Print
Zen Mystery Amp (Read 1660 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Zen Mystery Amp
12/05/21 at 03:28:11

This is a Zen Mystery Amp with full Anniversary Mods being evaluated in the listening room tonight for review.  It was ordered some time ago and is now breathing it's first words.  It is being fed directly from a Cambridge CXNv2 via the balanced XLR outputs. The Amp features the balanced Jensen Transformers that are just magical to any signal path. The speakers are Decware Tube Tots (93+dB) and the pairing is a Stargate to wherever you want to go.

click to enlarge

I actually like it better on these speakers than the TORII MONO's with the Exotic tubes which I can't believe I'm saying because I liked that combo so much. But this is more relaxed. It's just joyful to listen to and on speaker like these you don't need the extra power so why spend twice as much?

I will make some YouTube videos of this exact amp and the Tube Tots this weekend if I can and put them up on the Decware Channel so you can hear the synergy of this affordable and simple setup.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Zen Mystery Amp
Reply #1 - 12/05/21 at 03:50:32

With Anniversary Mods there is literally nothing that could be done to this amplifier to make it sound better even if money was of little concern. It is a spaceship that allows you to zip across the galaxy at the speed of thought. Resolution an timing are no obstacle. The original bone stock amp has been called the Holy Grail -- and this is like the Holy Grail with Nitrous, which ironically is laughing gas.  

So with a vehicle like this becomes about the tubes themselves.  Tonight I listened to some exotic EL34's in the amp and was floored by what I heard.  It made me want to go to my cherished stash of out of body tubes and try a NOS quad of RCA 7027's...   it just get's your juices flowing.  For people who can't understand the concept of tube rolling think of it this way:

You're in a theater in a OK seat but smashed between two obnoxious people and the acoustics aren't that wonderful either so the whole performance is tainted.  Then you spot someone leaving in what in your mind would be an ideal seat in the whole auditorium so you excuse yourself and briskly walk up to the new seat.   Ahhhhh.   Perfect.   That's tube rolling.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/06/21 at 19:06:20

Can’t tell the finish on the amp.  But, I know mine is in the home stretch with all the mods included.  Maybe the one you’re listening to is mine.  Merry Christmas….. and happy birthday…. And just because to me!  Can’t wait!

Jim

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/06/21 at 19:29:29

Well, on second glance and a second read of Steve’s comments, that looks like a cherry case, whereas mine is walnut.  And, although I maxed out the anniversary mods, I did not order the xlr inputs.  But, I am number 18 on the list.  And that’s good enough for me.

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print