Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/08/24 at 19:00:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Fix old preamp or look at new. (Read 1035 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Fix old preamp or look at new.
12/01/21 at 16:24:47

I have never listened to or owned a preamp as exotic as your Amati but have had preamps from Hafler, PS Audio, Dynaco et al and have to say the Decware preamps are a different animal than those. Very dynamic and clear and you can add "color" with tube choices and gain structures. . . but you are not stuck with a "coloration" as I had been with those preamps.

I have both a ZTPRE and CSP3 (with Anniversary mods) and use both in my main system. Originally I used the CSP3 there to provide headphone amplification, but honestly. . . although either alone is good in the system, both in the signal chain is another fascinating opportunity to ride the gain and the resulting sounds are better than "just the one."

In another system I have a CSP2+ with the Anniversary mods and that is a fantastic preamp for the Taboo Mk IV there (and a DALAUDIO amp I am using currently) and a killer headphone amp for the Sennheiser HD800S I use there--that is one of the best headphone/amp combos I've every heard.

I would say if you want a preamp that "vanishes" the ZTPRE is a great unit. Though it does not have a tube rectification the rectification that Steve chose is "just right" imo and I don't miss rolling rectifiers there. The CSP3 is more of a "paintbrush" with signal tubes and gain adjustment--and you can make it appear very transparent and uncolored with the same approaches. If I were looking for another preamp and had a balanced source the ZTPRE would be a great pick (with either the optional RCA output or a ZBIT) and if you have an RCA output on the source the 25th Anniversary CSP3 would be a great preamp.

Hope that's helpful. It's no secret I am a big fan of Decware preamps.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #1 - 12/01/21 at 17:45:42

Well, the two chassis design shows sound engineering and "class." Steve's very first preamp was a two chassis design, with tubes separate from the rest of the circuit. I am sure it sounded excellent.  . . . But since then he has moved to the wood framed steel top plate design.

Preamps are tricky devils. We want magic from them and also we want them to be "invisible." The one that comes closest to that in my experience, limited as it has been since I fell in love with Decware nearly 25 years ago and barely listen to anything else, is the ZTPRE.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/01/21 at 17:50:47

Steve's first preamp model, the original ZTPRE:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ztpre.htm

One of these came up for sale used once some time ago. I kick myself for not trying to get it! I think it's a fascinating product.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print