Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 12:15:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Google cromecast am I missing much? (Read 1663 times)
FarmBoss

Google cromecast am I missing much?
11/08/21 at 11:43:29

I stream Plexamp from an app on my phone to Chromecast to a HDMI box with optical out to my Dac.  I sounds great but I wonder if I am missing much by using such a cheap device.  My computer has all the Flac files as a server and it is all Wifi.  I have no use for a streaming service.  Would I gain anything by investing in a more expensive solution?
Plexamp is awesum and a very good interface.

Thanks

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Google cromecast am I missing much?
Reply #1 - 11/08/21 at 15:22:56

Seems like a good test would be to put a few FLAC files on a laptop and connect to the DAC with USB. If it sounds better than you might want to pursue a different solution, if not you probably don't need to mess with it.

For me, for a lot of reasons, I prefer playing my files directly from a laptop using Foobar2000, but I don't claim this is best solution for everyone.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/08/21 at 16:24:01

The Chromecast Audio (discontinued) has a toslink out.  I preferred using DLNA to a Raspberry PI with a digital hat for sound but it was close.  I finally just purchased an inexpensive fanless PC for a server and run Foobar with fidelizer using remote access thru windows to control it.  It provided the best sound for me.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 11/09/21 at 04:06:43

Farmboss,

The Chromecast Audio even with its Toslink out will only do up to 24/96 files when using a streaming service.    I can say that if you are using a cheap optical cable, invest in a decent one.  When I ran a good cable, the SQ was noticeably better.  I still run my CCA when I’m not in the mood to fire up the computer and run Roon.  In this scenario I use my RB pi 3B+ as a bridge to my Bifrost dac.  There is no comparison…. The RB  Pi running Ropiee to my DAC and this setup beats the CCA hands down.

Dom  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
FarmBoss

Reply #4 - 11/09/21 at 10:16:22

Thanks for all the thoughts.  My computer is in another room and honestly the less I have to screw around with technology the better.  I have messed around with RPI to run a few arcade machines and I probably have an extra around but the Plex interface is so good and just work so I think I will just stick with it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print