Send Topic Print
Digital vs. Analogue (Read 2631 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Digital vs. Analogue
08/17/21 at 02:49:07

Today during a listening room appointment I had the pleasure of listening to a few tracks off this LP on my vinyl rig. It was my guests. First we listened on small speakers and then on big speakers. The sound was so damn good on both, that unable to find this particular album in my collection, I decided to stream it of Qobuz. On Qobuz and the particular song I checked was at 5.7dB of limiting, and doesn't sound like the same mastering. Since the big speakers were still hooked up, I started with those. They sounded exactly like the small speakers, but not as good. I was amazed at how it made large speakers literally sound like small speakers.  

I really can't believe the difference. It's disgusting. So much is missing. I don't think it's the formats digital vs analog but rather the mastering or something else. My digital rig on good recordings is now competitive with analog. This stream is not competitive with analog. I am listening to a drum solo that we marveled at on the LP today, and I swear to God it sounds like the drummer has gloves on and as a result is doing doubles instead of triplets. The complex English layered into the LP where the drumming was pushed and pulled was also glazed over. Exaggerating to make a point (but not really) this stream is just noise that resembles the actual music. The Piano sounds like a stove. The drum kit sounds like the music shop special hanging from the ceiling.

I could just be MBSA disease and might not be genetic.  (Molested By Some Algorithm)

Interestingly some of the later tracks almost sound ok, to where I thought I was listening to a different album, and I checked and there was only 0.1dB of limiting.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Audionumber3
Verified Member

Re: Digital vs. Analogue
Reply #1 - 08/17/21 at 05:20:43

Hey Steve

I have decided early in my audiophile journey that I will only go streaming my audio. I know I'm missing out on ultimate sound quality, but the cost and convenience are very important to me too.

What is the best things I should know to get the best out of going this way? I have Tidal hifi right now.....is qobuz better? Is Roon also something that can increase quality with certain settings? Is there any way to minimize that volume normalization? Please do tell all practices to maximize my listening experience.

Thanks

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #2 - 10/17/21 at 17:49:18

I am unsure where to post this comment, Steve's topic heading of "Digital vs. Analog" seemed appropriate.  Last night, I read an article called, "Could digital audio ever outperform analog?" and found it interesting.  

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/could-digital-audio-ever-outperform-analog

It seemed written for someone like myself, one who has not given the question much thought but is curious about it just the same.  Helpful definitions of terms and numbers are included within the piece, though some numbers are hard to appreciate.  For example, " …vinyl record produces the same discrete approximation to a continuous audio sound signal as a digital signal with a bit depth of at least 16 bits and a sample rate of 730MHZ."

I'll have to accept that one for now. Smiley

Ultimately, he answers his own question asked in the piece's title:  Could digital outperform analog with a  "Yes, but…"  The but is not any time soon due to limits of storage and technology.

The piece, however, does not address something I experienced last night listening to music, something more subjective and less mathematical.   In response to what I was listening to, I felt emotion.  I heard music that was so clear and moving that it brought chills to my body and put a smile on my face while listening to -- Qobuz.  

Hmmm, maybe the arrival time for digital is sooner than he thinks.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 10/17/21 at 19:10:13

Quote:
...Hmmm, maybe the arrival time for digital is sooner than he thinks.

Yes. But firstly let me say that while I don't think there is anything in the bit you posted that is factually wrong, I think the analysis misses the point. I mean if you look at the "resolution" of a cassette tape on the molecular level it is a crazy big number too, but no one thinks that is a hirez medium, and they are right.

What the analysis misses is noise, which comes in different flavors but is inherent both the playback and recording process. And noise means you're never going to even remotely approach the theoretical "molecular" resolution of analog, so I'm not buying the idea that an LP is somehow equivalent 16 bit 760 MHz digital file, for a lot of reasons.

But rather than getting into a psudeomathamatical discussion of the difference between digital and analog, I'll just cut to the point, which is I agree with you. I've posted before that I'm a physicist by training and trade, so if anyone wants to come at me with Nyquist and Fourier transforms and the like you can bring it on, but for me the bottom line is no one has ever bought a Stradivarius, or a Rembrandt or a Chateau Margaux based on measurement or math, and I'm not going to judge my audio gear based on that either. I'm going to trust my ears, and my ears tell me that 16/44 digital done right can sound fantastic. I still listen to LPs, but honestly most of my humble CDs, and 16/44 digital downloads sound as good or better than my (pretty nice) analog rig.

But all this is JMO of course. I don't pretend to have an answer that works for anyone except me.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/17/21 at 19:24:31

I've never gone very far into this subject but Steve has a White Paper somewhere that I think says that digital signals can be sort of "analogued" by running them through analogue systems.  I think he used that example that vinyl record that was recorded digitally gets back much of what's lost when played with an analogue cartridge.  The "math" so far never explains what's really going on.  While recorded music playback is always a simulation, it sure makes sense to me that music that is analogue produced (vibrations of things in air) will always sound better when analogue reproduced.  Of course, the proof is in the sound.  Rather than writing scholarly papers on the subject, if someone thinks digital outperforms analogue, prove it with a playback system.  Oh, and please make it affordable!   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/07/21 at 20:17:40

This analogue vs digital is a very interesting comparison.. if I could put it in simpler terms, sound is a analogue wave form.

1) My simple mind thinks, if we keep this "sound" in the same form, rather than chop it up into millions of parts & try to recreate the same wave form, it is not only simpler, but should be closer to the original...

2) why can everyone distinguish a live violin sound compared to a recorded sound?

3) if we look at what creates the sound in a violin, the top or belly is a thin piece of spruce not more than 65-75gms in weight. It's the sound board that creates the vibrations which are amplified, by the soundbox, without any power... why can we not recreate that exact sound, using all the size & weight of these mega systems....?

My sense, is ANYTHING that touches the original sound waves, changes them...(our ears & brains are so sensitive)
So the less changes to that waveform, the better...

My 2c on analogue vs digital

Ed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print