Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 00:32:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO 8 OHM or 16 OHM (Read 1895 times)
Dana
Seasoned Member

SE84UFO 8 OHM or 16 OHM
06/09/21 at 22:58:27

I just bought a pair of Speaker Lab SK corner horns (Klipsch Khorn clones)

I'm planning to upgrade the top section with a different compression driver and then bi amp the bottom section with a SS amp.  

My question is the drivers I'm looking at come in both 8 OHM and 16 OHM.  Does the SE84UFO care?  Is there an advantage of one over the other since I'm not connecting  multiple horns in parallel?

Thanks,
Danager

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84UFO 8 OHM or 16 OHM
Reply #1 - 06/11/21 at 04:16:37

This question is interesting to me. I hope someone will answer.
You may have to post in the General Interest forum to get it seen by someone who knows the answer.

Brian

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/14/21 at 23:35:52

It’s going to take more voltage to drive 16 ohms to one watt, 4 volts vs 2.83 with 8 ohms. So 16 ohms requires more power and that could be a consideration with a 2 watt amp even with the transformer isolated output. It really depends on the efficiency, and compression drivers are generally a lot more efficient than woofers. So check your specs, a 16 ohm driver that hits 100+Db at 1 watt is likely going to be just dandy. I think maybe an 8 ohm driver may give you access to more dynamic range but that's just a guess without knowing the specs.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 08/10/21 at 02:40:45

My serious build was in High School shop. It was a pair of Speakerlab K horns. As you probably know already, these are rated at 106db per watt. They would likely take 100 watts, at least that is what I fed them, but stick with the 8 ohm impedance. The amps don't care, and the speakers are more than enough capable of giving a huge amount of sound with a watt. The meters on my amps never even moved.
Keep in mind that the bass is also a HORN! It is a folded horn, just like the Klipschorn. 1 watt will move the cone about 1/16", producing bass equal to the volume of the other horns. The distortion will likely be at about 1%. This is not a typo.
I am glad to see that you are upgrading the midrange, as this was the weak spot for these speakers. BTW, if you have never heard bass this powerful, be careful it is NOT like the little boom boom Honda driving by. It is super fast, accurate and very powerful. You will feel it in your chest, and even your pant legs will vibrate. Stick them in a corner first and then experiment. You are never going to hear or forget sound like this.... I never did.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print