Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 06:20:33 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slight hum thru speakers with UFO2, normal? (Read 15164 times)
Sam V
Verified Member

Re: Slight hum thru speakers with UFO2, normal?
Reply #50 - 01/24/23 at 03:09:59

Ok I wound up trying one more thing, I swapped in a 5AR4 Rectifier to see if that would change things (up to now I had just tried a different 5U4G). Unfortunately, this still had the same hum at the same level.

To see if this was inherent to my room/power for a tube amp, I hooked up a Reisong A10, which is another low power SET amp so I figure it's a decent comp on just baseline tube-amp-in-my-room expectations. It was nearly silent, with hum only audible with my ear next to the speaker (measured with my phone's dB app at 45dB, compared to 55dB for the SE84UFO25... the SE84UFO25 measured 9mV with a multimeter). Unfortunately, the SE84UFO25's hum is audible where I sit, so I think my best bet is to shoot Steve and email at this point, see if there's anything else to try, or if I need to send it back (if I couldn't hear it where I sit, I'd live with it, but it is actively annoying, so I'm gonna try everything to chase it down).

IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 02/19/23 at 17:03:29

Hi Sam,

Did you ever track down the cause of this?

Chris

Allo USBridge Signature Streamer > Musician Pegasus DAC > SE84UFO2.1 Amp RCA 1> Lii Audio Origin S-10 Speakers < SE84UFO2.1 Amp RCA 2 < Darlington Labs MP-7 Phono Preamp < Technics SL-100C Turntable < AT-VM95ML, SH Stylus
  IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 02/19/23 at 17:22:34

No, I emailed Steve and wound up sending it back for inspection/fixing/adding some volume knobs (I ordered it without volume knobs because I also ordered a CSP325, thought about it for the 18 months I was in the wait list, never changed my mind, and then on delivery was like "shoulda gotten the volume knobs")... I'll let you know if he finds anything!

IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #53 - 04/29/23 at 02:16:55

Quick update: I got the amp back from Decware, in addition to looking into the hum, I had them add volume controls and tie the outputs to ground to eliminate a buzz through the speakers when the amp was off. The good news is the volume controls and grounded outputs work great, but the bad news is I still hear the same hum from the speakers. Not sure what the next step is from here, I'll probably see if burn in helps, or if I just get used to it, but as of now it's still noticeable and annoying. Given the price, if there's nothing else I can do, I'll probably look to sell it, as it might not be noticeable at all for someone in a bigger space. Super bummer, the amp sounds amazing and you obviously don't notice the hum most of the time, but in the quiet passages, it's there.

If anyone has any other things I could try (although I'm pretty sure I've tried all the DIY solutions already), I'm all ears!

IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 05/11/23 at 18:25:10

Alright, I think I've got as close as I can get to solving this, here's where I'm at:

I talked to Steve last week, and he said what I was hearing was the power supply ripple. This is a bummer, I've got other tube amps that are quieter at idle, but it doesn't seem there's much that can be done here (if there is, I'm certainly open to suggestions!).

However, I've got some good news too: through the course of all my testing, I did notice that the transformers were quietly humming, which was essentially being amplified by the case (e.g. putting your ear next to the case, you could hear it much louder than just putting your ear next to the transformer). So, I ordered some small rubber washers from amazon, and very carefully loosened the mounting bolts on the transformer and slid them under (I cut a notch in the washers so I didn't need to fully remove the screw). This worked surprisingly well (well, it was kind of annoying to do it, there's a bunch of threadlocker and you want to... not break stuff/shock yourself), the noise from the transformer resonating is greatly diminished, Decware should consider just installing transformers with washers like this to begin with. The hum is still there, but just barely, I really have to strain at this point, and if I ever move to a larger room, I doubt I'd hear it at all.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #55 - 05/11/23 at 22:30:33

I feel like I have all around the audio world dealing various troubles too many to name. All of them slight in their own way, but still, at the price that I paid, it shouldn't even be a thought.
One thing generally speaking that has become clear over the decades, for whatever reason some equipment does not get along well with others. I am going to include power conditioners here as when I owned a PS Audio P300 regenerator, you could actually choose the AC frequency that sounded best. What sounded best with one piece actually made another piece have transformer hum! This hum would vary with whatever chosen frequency from the PS unit. Just one of so many odds and ends of what shouldn't exist in the first place. I am just giving this one example as the pile is too high to climb over the years.
I expect that once you hear something like hum or a slight crackle, it is hard to dismiss. I t is for me.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #56 - 05/11/23 at 23:05:53

Yeah, I basically agree, it would be nice if at these prices I wasn't like "well I think I can live with this"... but it is what it is... part of it is I waited 18 months for these so I really want them to work out... a bigger part too is that they really do sound amazing, I haven't heard anything that sounds like these do. I suppose the other piece too is if it really does wind up driving me nuts, I can always sell it and make someone's day and let them skip the wait line!

IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #57 - 02/29/24 at 23:13:37

Hi Sam,

Did you ever have any luck finding the hum source?

Allo USBridge Signature Streamer > Musician Pegasus DAC > SE84UFO2.1 Amp RCA 1> Lii Audio Origin S-10 Speakers < SE84UFO2.1 Amp RCA 2 < Darlington Labs MP-7 Phono Preamp < Technics SL-100C Turntable < AT-VM95ML, SH Stylus
  IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #58 - 03/01/24 at 03:18:41

Yeah all signs point to it being power supply ripple (including when I talked with Steve). Wish it wasn't there, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing really that can be done. My listening room for now is small so I'm really close to the speakers (probably about 4-5 feet), a few more feet back and I doubt I'd hear it at all. Still on the fence about selling, but nothing really sounds like this amp, so I want to give it a shot in a different room before I make a final decision!

IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #59 - 03/04/24 at 22:21:26

Have you tried removing both the input tube and output tubes from the amp, shorting the RCA inputs with shorting plugs, and only having the speakers and power connected?  Does it still produce hum though the speakers in that configuration?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #60 - 03/04/24 at 23:58:52

Chris,

I don't think that the amp would be capable of producing anything without tubes. Maybe you meant replacing ech tube one at a time?
The shorting plugs are something that I used just yesterday during a preamp repair. Sure enough without the plugs in the input selected there was a hum. Star grounding alleviated that but only when a component was connected.
Hum can come from various sources or reasons. Power supply ripple is one that may point to a rectifier tube, but if not, then there is a problem that needs to be resolved. Trouble is, there are quite a few amp designs out there, and each one has its shortcomings. Some amps are prone to hum more than others.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #61 - 03/05/24 at 00:01:38

My SE84UFO2.1 hums in the configuration that I mentioned. Of course the rectifier tube is installed, but no audio tubes.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #62 - 03/05/24 at 16:47:22

Quote:
Posted by: ChrisJHouse      Posted on: Yesterday at 16:01:38

My SE84UFO2.1 hums in the configuration that I mentioned. Of course the rectifier tube is installed, but no audio tubes.

Is that hum through the speakers, or mechanical hum from the amp itself? Without power tubes I'm pretty sure there is no audio output from the amp, the speaker outputs is connected to an empty tube socket through the output transformer. But you could be getting mechanical hum from e.g. the power transformer. If you are getting hum through the speaker my guess is you are picking up some kind of noise, possibly from the speaker cables esp. if they are long.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #63 - 03/05/24 at 17:17:16

It is hum through the speakers. The hum occurs with different speakers and the cables are about 3-4 feet long. There seems to be some type of induction from the power transformer to the output transformers.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #64 - 03/05/24 at 18:08:57

Quote:
Posted by: ChrisJHouse      Posted on: Today at 09:17:16

...There seems to be some type of induction from the power transformer to the output transformers.

Interesting, that seems like a pretty basic design consideration.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print