Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 11:33:33 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Places My Curiosity Takes Me… The Sorcer X4 (Read 4600 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

The Places My Curiosity Takes Me… The Sorcer X4
12/30/23 at 13:41:49

I’ve had the Sorcer X4 in my system for almost three months now. It is a fascinating piece of gear. You can read about the tech and theory behind it here https://add-powr.com/

The Sorcer X4 is a large heavy box that has a slight hum when plugged in. Mine hums very faint and I’m extraordinarily sensitive to hum. The level of hum doesn’t bother me. My brothers X4 doesn’t hum at all.

If I had to describe it in as few words as possible I would say “it makes everything more better”. That could be the end of the discussion.

It does more than just more better. It gives music a solid sense of mass.

If you have ever played with and hit by an Airzooka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt6BtMrQOIw that might convey how it’s different. It has a surprising amount of power behind it. From organ notes past the highest octaves of a crash cymbal. The music has a new weight to it. This weight doesn’t slow anything down at all. If anything everything starts and stops faster, more alive.  Bass hits are more explosive and stop faster. Harmonic richness oozes out of every note.

It adds a level of aliveness to the experience.

Unplugging the Sorcer X4 instantly there is a change, everything goes back to how it was before. Plugging it back it the effects are noticeable instantly. I’ve found it does take a bit for the full effect to show up again.

Unplugging the Sorcer x4 playing a few songs then plugging it back in is half a rewarding experience. The unplugging there is an instant longing for what was just lost. Plugging it back in there is a sense of does it really make that much of a difference? It does, it seems to take an hour(?) to stabilize.

Does it make a difference? is it worth exploring? I say yes. Over a year ago I bought a Add-Powr Eau4 ElectraClear it’s a small dongle that works on the same theory as the Sorcer X4. I found it to offer a very subtle yet pleasant improvement. Same as described above, just drastically more subtle than the Sorcer. My brother bought a Sorcer X4+ at the begging of the year on my recommendation. He was out of town so it sat in my system for a few weeks. After it was gone I thought I could live without it,  I was really happy with how everything was sounding without it. The sound I was getting with the Sorcer x4 kept sneaking back into my mind. Once you hear it, you cannot unhear it. So after months of it tickling my brain I went ahead and bought one.

The Sorcer X4 is akin to an On/Off switch to increase harmonic richness.

I’ve experienced what I think is what happens when harmonics are stripped from the music. It’s terrible, really bad, get up and leave the room bad. The Sorcer X4 won’t fix this.

Starting with components that have a pleasant harmonic richness to them the Sorcer X4 will highlight them and let them shine. This comes across as a richness. A physical sense of the notes being in the listening space. An increase in contrast.

Have a system that is dry and sterile it’s not going to be a magic worker. It will only take what is there and multiply it. 1 * 5 = 5 and 10 * 5 = 50 If you are starting at a “1” in harmonic richness you won’t instantly get the full harmonic experience of a setup with a “6” or higher in harmonic richness.  

In another thread I spoke how I’m starting to consider a high end stereo system a hallucinogen. The Sorcer X4 ups the dose!

I have two TubeCube el84 amps in my living room. Nice cheap chi-fi amps. Only thing special about them is how good they sound for $230 I put on in my main system for awhile. The Sorcer X4 pushes the TubeCube to the max… along with the rest of the system it’s really giving the TubeCube the best possible scenario to shine.

Going from the TubeCube el84 to the UFO25TH is a life changing difference. The TubeCube doesn’t have the magic the UFO does. The Sorcer when the TubeCube is in the system gives the TubeCube a nice shot of life and enjoyment.

The UFO25th without the Sorcer X4 is better than the TubeCube in all aspects, not even close. It’s pro level athletes competing against grade schoolers. Add the Sorcer X4 to the UFO25th and you’re off on a magical mystery tour.

I find my vinyl setup to be pushed even more than digital with the unit in the mix. Which vibes with my theory that it takes the harmonic richness and multiplies it.

One really interesting thing about the Sorcer X4 is that the power cable connected to it makes a clear difference. The Sorcer is plugged into the Torus power conditioner. The only thing that can be plugged into the Sorcer is 1 power cable and that is the one that powers it. There is a fuse in the unit, I haven’t tried swapping that out yet. It’s a 500mA fuse so me trying a SDFB and Sluggo in it is very unlikely. One day I might spring and try a boutique fuse in it. I’m blown away at the difference a PC makes powering this thing!

My living room where the TV is, is on a different breaker. The TV picture is much better, the colors really pop. I read that the Sorcer X4 will improve TV performance too. I wasn’t ready for how much an improvement especially when the unit is 40 feet away and on a different breaker in a different room.

As with many things there is an odd paradox with the Sorcer X4. Un-plugging the unit doesn’t make the system any less however, plugging it back in does make it more engaging.

I still searching how to accurately describe what the Sorcer X4 brings to the system… so I’ll leave it with this. It adds some sexy and I like it!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: The Places My Curiosity Takes Me… The Sorcer X4
Reply #1 - 01/01/24 at 19:23:34

Sounds good GroovySauce! No doubt variables with Add-Power things, but a number of years ago I tried, I believe a Symphony Pro, and I think I liked the sound, but not the feeling, so my overall sense of it is not good in memory. I can't get the ADD-powr website to work today.... "not safe" warnings and if I go past that, I get a GoDaddy page offering the domain. So I can't read up and verify differences, but as I recall, the Symphony puts the algorithm of low frequencies and harmonics into the room and system via an antenna system, and I thought the Sorcer works mainly through the house wires?

And really just guessing they are working on the same premise frequency wise... but maybe not....

I can say I felt agitated by the Symphony though, and could not adapt to it, so sent the unit back. Historically I feel better without wifi, and with various filters on my AC to clean up noise that makes its way into the environment via house wires. And when I tried the Symphony, I was pretty ill, so more vulnerable than now, at least in obvious ways. But it messed me up... feeling some aspects of its output frequencies as foreign, and therefore agitating. Alternately, with Schumann Resonance things I have, also using an antenna system for delivery, I recall feeling better with them, and they have stayed in for a long time. I use continuously adjustable Kemp Audio Schumann resonators. I first got a single, and later another to increase the effect, and to make it stereo. They are still nicely useful in my room. Having a stereo pair, I can tune between density/focus and expansiveness/spaciousness/ harmonics, while also adjusting the soundstage left to right some with them...

I gather from some of your past posts that you too are sensitive to electronic noise pollution...  so it interests me that you don't appear to be feeling any negative effects from the Sorcer x4. Maybe it is different in frequencies, or its delivery method changes what I was feeling from the antennae system???.... not sure... but back then I talked with Bill from Add Power about it, and not sure I can trust the memory, but I think I was finally suspecting a 50 hz or so fundamental as a culprit for me....

Just wanted to see what you thought about these somewhat vague memories relative to what you know about this tech, and your experience with it....

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/02/24 at 12:22:01

I'm guessing there was a glitch with the hosting of the website. It's working fine for me.

When I spoke to Bill on the phone he said that it's ultra low frequencies. He didn't give specifics. He did say that it also radiates the frequencies into the environment.

I am sensitive to electronic interference. One of the product I use is the Blushield. They say that for the first few days you might feel worse. I've seen other products that say it might take a few days for you to get used to the difference in energy.

I specifically asked him about the health effects of having it on. He did say that people report positive health benefits to having one in their home.

My understanding is that it puts the signal onto the power lines and that is what adds the harmonics to the power that carries onto the signal. I think on the website or an interview Bill said that the frequencies are so low that power filters don't scrub them out.

It took me a long time to post my comments on this unit. I really like the way my stereo sounds with and without it. If I had to trim down all the boxes I have it would be one of the ones up on the chopping block. I would also miss it from time to time. I don't think I would be yearning for it back though.

I don't think it's outputting a 50hz anything intentionally. My brother's Sorcer is dead silent and mine does have a gentle hum that is just barely audible at the listening position.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/02/24 at 15:46:23

Hey GroovySauce. The site works fine here now too, so whatever was up yesterday is sorted.

And I can imagine what you are hearing with the Sorcer in your system... I ran across a Show video where Bill demonstrated the x4 AB'ing off and on in a system next to his booth... even on Utube, with headphones, I heard quite notable improvements for my preferences... richer and more complex harmonics in space making it all sound more real and alive to me.

I have used Blushield devices and similar a long time, and am aware of the detox that can happen with them. Maybe because I stay relatively clean with diet, water, meditation and exercise, I don't recall these devices over time bothering me except subtly at first. And later, not a problem for the most part with adding similar. But I did not rule this out with the Symphony. I too recall Bill saying some people find it improves how they feel, appearing like I may have been more of a wildcard.

But knowing systemic cleanup that can release stored toxins can happen with powering up the presence of repetitive low frequency vibrations, I think I waited it out for a week or more, then tried it off and on for a while to verify this was happening before returning it. And the subtle agitation persisted, the Symphony being different from similar devices for me. Also I did want it to work, liking what I was hearing as I recall.

It was not a ±50 Hz hum I could hear. And it has been so long ago, I don't feel confident with remembering the specific frequencies. But I think I recall when talking with Bill, trying to figure it out, somewhere in 50s or 60s the algorithm used a frequency or two, and I was just guessing it was this part of the range that may have been an issue for me. But it was felt, not heard. And as I suggested, I was pretty beat up health wise then, so really sensitive to everything really.

And come to think of it, I don't think I had Blushield when I was trying the Symphony, then using an EarthCalm system... My wife and I found the Blushield more effective here...I wonder if it would have mitigated this effect for me??? It is sometimes a drag to be so sensitive!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/02/24 at 22:04:57

Will, It's really hard to say so many variables. Especially with the energy stuff.

I kind of see the Sorcer like adding cream to coffee. I enjoy coffee without cream a majority of the time. I'll buy a quart of cream and drink my coffee with cream until the cream runs out and be happy. I never put sugar in my coffee.

Right now I'm listening without the Sorcer active and wanting for nothing. If I leave it unplugged in a week I might want to run it again for a week.

I've noticed that with energy devices things change and it's worth revisiting them from time to time. We change and our environment changes. The more I pay attention to space weather the more I realize that we are all effected by it. Some of us feel it much stronger than others. The way it shows up for each of us is different too. We just took a glancing blow from a CME today, which stirs up geomagnetic storms. I find that I don't sleep as well when there is a lot of geomagnetic storm activity for example. Another common one that is observable in others is quick to anger and irritability. Sluggishness and brain fog can be other ways it shows up.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 01/03/24 at 04:36:55

Groovy…. I have experience with EMF shielding as well.  I have had my Earth Calm whole home device for like 10 years now.  Me and Will have had conversations in the past on this topic, and I have to say, I did experience a  mild detox effect when I plugged in my 3 separate stages.  Since then I bought their USB device that plugs in my WiFi router that is supposed to cancel out the harmful affects.  Since I rebuilt my house..I have been eyeing up the Blueshield product line to expand my coverage and replace the Earth Calm unit.

The Sorcerer sounds like an appealing product.  Going to watch the videos and delve further tomorrow.  There was this guy who handmade these resonators that I found very interesting made by Franck Tchang. Very cool product…. You can read more about it hear.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/francktchang/resonators_6.html

https://www.technologydistribution.be/reviews/horning/Audio%20Exotics%20in%20Hon...

Here is his new company and website..

https://asi-resonators.asi-resonators.com/resonators.html

I came very close to trying these out like 12 years ago, but at the time they weren’t cheap, and I was just starting down the Decware path and the beginning of my audio journey.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/03/24 at 17:55:42

Dom,

The Blushield and Earthcalm might work synergistically, I ordered an Earthcalm unit and will experiment. Even though it's off topic I'll report back here.

I looked into the ASI sugar cubes a few years ago. I've tried the DMT X1s. They do  change the soundstage and how the music sounds. it's really wild. You can "pull" the soundstage by placing them in non-mirrored places. Great for non rectangular rooms to balance the soundstage.

One thing that gets me about all of those types of products is when they say it renders acoustic treatment unnecessary.  Yes, they do change the way things sound. The ones I've used don't fix reverb, room modes and comb filtering. I would love to place a few resonators and have my whole home sound like my dedicated music room. Even if it was a spendy proposition.

If they could show before and after of reverb times in a room say 1s before and 400ms after in the bass region I would be in line to buy some. If they could smooth out the bass response from +/- 15db and get it down to +/- 5 db I would be sending them my money.

I'm not opposed to them. I currently have the DMT X1 in my living room and like what they offer. I don't see them as a replacement for acoustic treatment though.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/03/24 at 18:37:18

I will be interested to see how you like the new EarthCalm with Blushield. Our earlier EarthCalm version, probably similar to Dom's with the same setup and concepts, did not feel good to us with Blushield. Approaching the issues differently, and the EarthCalm working through the house wiring is compelling to me, conceptually helping audio too, and I think I may even have tested that, feeling like it did help by cleaning up the house wiring in general. So I wanted them to work together.

We tried each individually for a week or so, then both together, and I don't think that lasted but several days... Subtle in ways, but it was a little agitating feeling with both... Making it fuzzier, we also had a bunch of Stetzerizers that we kept in, units scattered around the house that filter AC noise. I think those are just filters, but still not a clear test except finding that adding back in the Earth Calm was not ideal feeling here. I continue to use our Blushield Cube, and a pocket model. I also rigged a 12 volt supply for the Cube for trips.

But that was a while ago, with older EarthCalm tech, and it looks like EarthCalm is still using the same ideas, but have advanced the tech, so I look forward to hearing your impressions!!! Good prices now too!

StaticShield keeps coming to mind for me also, presumably good for audio as well as less electronic pollution... but who knows!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 01/04/24 at 03:29:13

I would be very interested in your evaluations when combining the EarthCalm with the Blue Shield.  It does seem like the Blue Shield’s tech is more modern by comparison.  I just checked the EarthCalm products, and as Will pointed out they are at an attractive price right now.  Their tech has advanced since the days of  my old product from 12 years ago.  I would like to add the Blueshield cube later on this year if the funds allow it.

What I did notice that while I was at work, the USB device did help while I was in my work car that is very high in EMF due to running multiple WiFi devices, radar, 4 and 5 G signals.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/04/24 at 13:46:10

I forgot to mention that I have GreenWave filters through out my home. I'm guessing they work the same way the Stetzerizer ones do. Using the GreenWave meter I have all the outlets down to low double digits all are under 20 mV.

The UberBUSS and DigiBUSS also have a part of them that does the same thing as the GreenWave filters in a much stronger way.

I bought the BluShield Auto for both my cars.

BluShield and EarthCalm take different approaches and with the 90 day guarantee I'm comfortable giving it a try. I'm also in a more rural area so that is a consideration too.

using:

https://www.antennasearch.com/

I have 14 towers and 24 antennas within a 3.0 mile radius

my parents who live in the suburbs of Philly:

169 towers and 213 antennas within a 3.0 mile radius

These are not the only considerations. It does make a difference though. 10 times more is huge when one can be detrimental.

Proximity to high tension wires is also a consideration. A mile away from them and the effects are measurable.

Back to the Sorcer, I really do think my cream in coffee analogy is a good one. All the cream in the world cannot save a bad cup of coffee. The Sorcer cannot save a bad stereo, it can add some nice flavor.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/04/24 at 15:14:45

Yikes, tried the app GS. 36 towers and 82 antennas w/in 3 miles of my home.  

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 01/04/24 at 15:23:27

My results:  undefined towers and undefined antennas within a 3.0 mile radius of null.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/04/24 at 15:57:11

Interesting—I have 31 towers and 177 antennas within a 3.0 mile radius.

I’m going to look closely at these products. The EarthCalm ones seemed to be decently priced.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #13 - 01/04/24 at 16:20:26

I'll see your count and raise it in my neighborhood to 61 towers and 725 antennas within a 3.0-mile radius.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/04/24 at 17:04:27

Ouch! Well.... I am really sensitive to energetic stuff, not just audio... and really, probably one of the canary in the coal mine types with electronic, RF and EMF pollution. But I have 3 towers and 16 antennas within 3.0 miles (most of them within 2 miles), and can feel real benefits from Blushield, and in the past, subtler overall, but meaningful with older tech EarthCalm. The little Blushield pocket things are pretty impressive too... considerably less brain dead after time in places like Lowes.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/04/24 at 17:05:25

65 towers and 236 antennas within a 3.0 mile radius here.....

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/04/24 at 18:23:39

23 towers and 26 antennas within a 3.0 mile radius for me.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 01/04/24 at 19:15:18

I'm really lucky to be living at the edge of a state wildlife preserve forest and in a sparsely housed neighborhood. Just five miles away in town there are 34 towers and 93 antennas.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18 - 01/04/24 at 19:30:29

As anticipated…..my results were alarming.  I had 186 towers and 593 antennas within a 3.0 mile radius.  

But my work location was off the charts…..I had 628 towers and 782 antennas within a 3.0 mile radius.  Now I can see why my USB EarthCalm device has helped me while I am at work.  I probably need something stronger, but since I am in my work car a lot, the USB device makes it easy.

Dom

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 01/04/24 at 20:01:58

Hey Dom, like GroovySauce pointed to, Blushield makes a car unit. I think I recall they are pretty powerful, and could be a good way to test the company method.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #20 - 01/05/24 at 04:04:13

Thanks Will.   I just checked and the Blueshield car unit is sold out.  I signed up for an in stock notification when it’s available.   For the price…it’s worth buying the unit to see how it integrates with my EarthCalm USB unit.  My work location is really bad, so  the Blueshield car unit is a must.  

Dom

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #21 - 01/05/24 at 07:43:42

I am surprised to see such a recent post on the Sorcer X4 here. I recently picked up a Sorcer X4+ after demoing an X4 from my local shop. What follows is a post I made on the Steve Hoffman Forums on December 1, 2023 (just a few short weeks ago) regarding my initial impressions of the device. I think the Sorcer's effect is somewhat difficult to explain, so having another perspective on the thing may be helpful to the curious in the future.

"Has anyone tried one of these, or any of the ADD-POWR stuff?

A few days ago my local shop, Gig Harbor Audio, sent out an email newsletter type thing that included a short blurb about the ADD-POWR Sorcer X4, how you just plug it into the wall and somehow it makes everything sound better. It had a clear plexiglass top so you can see all the transformers and flashing lights. It kind of looks like the flux capacitor from "Back To The Future."

I was intrigued, at least. I get along pretty well with Erik at GHA, so I shot him an email this morning to see if I could give the Sorcer a spin. No problem, he said, take it for a week or so. I picked up the store demo around 10:00 A.M. Jake at the shop told me to plug it into the same wall socket as my system power supply (if possible, I guess it works pretty well just plugged into the PS, too) and to let it do its thing for about an hour before I started turning it off and on to compare.

So I did that. I had been listening to Dua Lipa's "Future Nostalgia" on LP before I ran out to GHA, so I started with that on the table. I turned the Sorcer on, then off, then on, trying to hear the magic. Nada. Magic denied!

Next up was the debut Wet Leg S/T LP, an album I've had surprising moments with when dialing in other components. Nope. NO MAGIC.

What both of those albums have in common in what I would call "busy" mixes. Not a lot of space in most of the song and production style. So I put on Dominque Fils-Aime, "Nameless," which starts with her amazing rendition of "Strange Fruit." Suddenly, I could hear something happening, mostly in the backing vocals. With the Sorcer "on," they were more present in the mix, more full and holographic in comparison to without the Sorcer. This is what I was looking for. It was starting to come together.

Next was Julee Cruise, "Floating into the Night" LP, which of course has "Falling" as made famous on Twin Peaks back in the day. "Falling" has huge, wide, multi-layered backing vocals that already sound amazing on my system, so I'm very, very happy to report that the Sorcer just took all of that to a new level, noticeably wider and deeper in soundstage and dynamic range than without the device. Even better, the difference was clearly apparent on the iconic, reverb-drenched, palm-muted guitar notes in the intro to the song. The notes are fuller, deeper, rounder. Finally, the magic was not confined to vocals! Once I made that observation, the Sorcer effect started making a lot more sense to me. It is a subtle difference that becomes more and more dramatic as you start remapping what you expect the song to do or where you expect the song to go. With the Sorcer, the music does more, and it goes further. Up, down, left, right, forward and back, stretched out on the walls.

Final test album of the day was the Mo-Fi Original Master Recordings pressing of Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain." I still had the volume up very high from listening to Julee Cruise, so at first, without the Sorcer on, there were prominent brass passages that stuck out as shrill, slightly-unpleasant. Typically, I would just back off the volume a little. But this time, I flipped on the Sorcer and the same horns came into focus and were no longer shrill. I didn't want to turn it down after that. The Sorcer just put everything right into place.

So, obviously, it took a little while for me to figure out what I was listening for. But, now that I hear it, it's very obvious when the Sorcer is on vs. off. What's interesting is that it almost seems like it brings something different to every recording, but I'm chalking that up to only having focused on certain parts of each recording today as I was comparing affected vs. unaffected SQ. It was very active, granular listening, not holistic. As I type this post, I'm listening to the recent VMP pressing of Miles Davis "Tribute to Jack Johnson," an already astonishing pressing that is now somehow even more astonishing. I didn't need this album to sound better, yet here we are, people.

What's so strange about this thing is that it is NOT in your chain. At all. It's just plugged into the wall. It's not doing anything to your chain. And yet, here I am writing this novel because it really does make everything sound better. It's not like flipping a loudness switch or anything like that, but once you hear it you can't unhear it, and it is obvious and replicable after that. Things actually do sound better with the Sorcer in the circuit for some reason. I've read that you can also plug it in next to your breaker panel and it works on the whole house that way. But I didn't feel like putting it in my laundry room, so...

I emailed Erik at GHA again and told him my impression that, in effect, the Sorcer essentially remasters the album in your living room in real time as you are listening to it. He agreed generally, admitting that neither he nor his shop tech understand how it works yet. But they both have one in their systems at home. Because, somehow, it does work. Beyond the mastering analogy above, I might also compare the Sorcer effect to something like a really, really good cartridge upgrade.

The people at ADD-POWR do seem to know how their stuff works, and there's some explanation of it all on their website, about feeding low frequencies into your AC to increase the dynamics of the power peaks, eliminating EMF signals in the air, etc. I understand the explanation, intellectually, like if someone explained how the transporter beams are supposed to work on Star Trek, but it doesn't seem like something that would really work in real life and the end result is baffling. It all seems very complicated yet very simple at the same time. I mean, seriously, you just plug it into the wall. That's it. Too easy!

The Sorcer X4 is about $4000 USD. I have a nice system, and a decent job, but $4K is a sizable chunk of change for my typical gear budget. I can afford it, but I really shouldn't buy it, you know? But, now that I've heard it, I'm not going to want to go without it. Which is how they get you, but you know, I did ask to try it out...

Anyway, I was surprised to not see much discussion on ADD-POWR stuff in general on this site. There are a few vocal disciples over on Audiogon. Has anyone here given any of this stuff a chance? Do I sound like a crazy person? I guess I need someone to tell me I'm not crazy!"

I'll add here that the same week I was demoing the X4 I had a music-lover friend come over for a blind listening test. He identified the Sorcer being powered on as "better" every time where the unit was "on" 5 out of 8 plays. This is without him ever hearing the unit before and having no idea what it should sound like or what he should listen for. It's definitely not a placebo device.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #22 - 01/05/24 at 08:00:24

@groovysauce -- You mention the power cord clearly making a difference in sound with the Sorcer. I have read elsewhere that the very plain, generic, cord included with the Sorcer sounds best (mine didn't come with one, but who doesn't have a dozen of these?) I am currently one of the older Decware silver power cords, but haven't done any sort of comparison testing. What have you tried and what did you settle on?

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 01/05/24 at 11:03:33

Thanks for re-posting that Bloodlemons.

I tried the Sorcer with two main cables. Decware DHC-1 and BAV 10 AWG. DHC-1 I found the emphasis on the upper mid and highs. BAV I found more midrange through the bass focused.

I had a cable that was cryo'd and it imparted the cryo signature too. I'm not fond of the cryo'd signature.

I'm scared to try a Snake River Audio cable on it. I will try when my new order from SRA arrives though. I can see if the Teddy Pardo power supply for the EtherRegen or the Sorcer is better with the SRA cable.

I wonder what the Sorcer does for TT motors? AFAIK it would be impossible to isolate just the TT motor to hear if there is any change. I guess I could try the speed control app on my phone with and without the Sorcer and see if there is a difference.

I don't think I've tried a generic PC on the Sorcer.

I did buy mine on a Black Friday sale. Between my own investigation and seeing a post on Audiogon yesterday. I'm thinking that they are constantly having significant sales for different products. Right now a new Sorcer Apprentice is 55% off on Audiogon from Coherence Systems. I'm turned off by companies that have continuous sales.

It's amazing how many towers are near some of us!

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #24 - 01/05/24 at 17:29:06

Groovysauce --

Thanks for the quick response. So, I gather as far as power cords go, it's not so much better or best but different? Fair enough. If I come across a particularly good combination, I'll try to remember to post back here for the curious.

I hadn't heard of Snake River Audio, so I looked it up... Yup, those are some spendy cords! I'm not sure I'm ready to go that far yet. If I buy one of those and find it makes a difference, I'll eventually end up buying six and then what the heck am I doing with my money!  :D

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 01/05/24 at 18:18:13

With the PC I've used one wasn't a clear winner. I also hesitate to say something is "the best" as different people enjoy different things. I'm sure if I put one of my SRA PC on the Sorcer I'm going to be done and want nothing except that on the Sorcer. I have been 100% wrong with this stuff too so we will have to wait and see.

Yes the SRA cables are spendy! They are also amazing. If you look at the signal path a vast majority of it is in the cabling. Makes sense that having excellent cables would bring a large payoff with them.

I would go for a pair of SRA speaker cables and interconnects before buying a Sorcer. I've been slowly adding SRA cables to my system for 3+ years now. I'm going to be a full loom by the end of the month!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 01/05/24 at 22:40:49

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 01/06/24 at 12:55:02

LOL!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 01/06/24 at 13:12:33

Here is one at 70% off!

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisb60h8-add-powr-x4-sorcer-ac-conditioners

I almost grabbed it. The theory behind it is just above my grade mathematical wise. It boils down to adding harmonics to the main power supply. Kind of like tube rolling. Leaving it for you high rollers on a budget.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 01/06/24 at 13:17:47

I would also go for a SDFB over the Sorcer too. The SDFB is an crazy good upgrade for components.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 02/01/24 at 16:21:08

I've had the Earthcalm Infinity Home System in for 2 weeks, I felt worse with it active. Two days ago I took it out and am now going to re-do the adaptation process, starting today. They offer a 90 day return window so I'm going to give it a solid try. They do recommend re-doing the adaptation process if you don't feel well after doing it initially.

I'm trying something new with the Sorcer. I've taken it out from the front of the room with all the components and put it on a different circuit and placed it in the back of the room. I'll play around with it back there for a while and report back.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/01/24 at 18:28:51

Thanks for the update on the EarthCalm. I look forward to more.

I am playing with that Sorcer Apprentice you mentioned from Audiogon. It has some decent outlets and I am exploring those as well, so still in the equipment area. I ran it first without having anything plugged into it for a week of so, trying it on the floor, and about 6' up on the old teak the cabinet my stuff is in.

Bill at Add Powr said I would feel good from it, and he was right. It turns out the Symphony that made me feel off, runs quite a bit higher fundamentals... and the Sorcer he said was more in the 8-10 Hz range. I have explored the Schumann resonance and harmonics quite a bit, 7.83 said to be its baseline though variable, and I really like using it. Also it seems many of these EMF/RF mitigators integrate this range to help us associate more with our native grounding frequencies, and in turn not be "taken away" by all the high frequency stuff in the air that makes us agitated, anxious, dissociated... more prone to reaction and illness. Also 9.6 is known to be balancing/healing, as is around 8, and more in this lower range. So it makes some sense to me that the house feels good with the Sorcer on.

It is a bit of a haze, because I am playing with SDFBs too, and doing some modifications. But earlier on with the Sorcer, I found different placements off center and centered, as well as front to back changed the sound, somewhere in there, roughly centered sounding "best."  I was not being analytical about what exactly happened, but after about a week, I did some ABs, and roughly speaking I preferred the density, complexity, and relationships of fundamentals and harmonics better with it on. I have not AB'd it since, waiting for it to burn in more.

The two general areas I have been easily able to fit it in near equipment, both had good sound, but a little different. They recommend in the instructions for the Apprentice having it near equipment, but it does what the Sorcer 4 does, "treating" the house wiring as well as its proximity, just less powerfully. So I will try moving mine behind the seat and in other places too. It is actually handy to be able to use it as a direct to wall "strip" that is treated with this algorithm, and pretty nice receptacles.

I have my front end plugged into it now, the Mac Mini, Singxer SU1, and Gustard x20pro.... and a strip with some noisy power supplies. Up high, I can get a lot of my cables into it, and this did clean things up at the time, not sure ultimately if it is "better" there but sounds good. New receptacles and all, I decided to let it run there a while and then test differences.

Also cables change the sound. I was running an old PSAudio AC12 to it, being my only nicer cable not in use that is long enough for the floor position. This is a cable I have never been able to love, but have some respect for... it is generally a little too heavy for my tastes and the frequency ranges showed oddly a little unintegrated with it as I recall with early tests using in front of my PSAudio P5.

With the Sorcer, not articulate tests, but roughly it was pretty different from the stock cable, more dense and full, and more refined. But the more open feel of the stock cable was intersting. So now I have a lighter 12ish gauge UPOCC copper cable in, from just a few tests, my fav so far, open and refined. The AC12, being really big gauge, does that well I think, with less resulting compression/thickening/slowing to the sound than some other mongo thick cables. I heard it as fuller and heavier in the Apprentice... but not bad, just different and I will test that again later too.

So not much real info from serious testing, but having fun exploring and liking it. I just added a second receptacle at the wall, so have four outlets now. One outlet is for the P5 feeding the Uber, the Uber feeding the Brickwall at the moment, my setup before the Sorcer that now will need reevaluating.

The second outlet is to the Sorcer, leaving me two more at the point the Sorcer is plugged in. I have the stuff for a new heavy aluminum case strip with nice inlets and outlets, and I hope to make that up soon for the front end to test, plugging all those into the Sorcer direct, and all more directly into the wall the Sorcer is treating... see if the sound changes much.

Also feet and weight matter here. Mine has only four screws holding the lid, and it rang and rattled with a hit. So I put it on a bamboo board with some OK sounding feet, and a bag with a few pounds of silica sand on top. Sorry vague, but first impressions are good for me.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 02/02/24 at 12:42:27

The Earthcalm is an odd one. I’m having trouble getting used to it. I don’t sleep as well when it’s plugged in. I’m going to try leaving it plugged in during the day and removing at night for a few days. Then leave it in over night and see if I adapt.

My Sorcer X4 doesn’t have outlets in it. My brothers does. Having the Sorcer plugged into the Torus AVR is the best strongest effect. I have an UberBUSS plugged into the Torus. My Amp and Phono are plugged into the UberBUSS. I have a DigiBUSS plugged into the UberBUSS that has the rest of my components. Except the PS for the TT motor and SMPS for the light for the TT. I have a Puron plugged into the Torus as well.

I moved the Sorcer to the back of the room as I got my new amp. It will be awhile before I mess with the Sorcer more. The effect is much more subtle with the Sorcer at the back of the room. Again we will have to wait as my new amp burns in and seasons. I’m also getting a new DAC on Monday so hundreds of hours of curing, seasoning and burnin for the next few months.

Will, I’ve found the same as you. PCs have a serious impact on the sound! Footers also make a difference. I really liked it on the WaveKinetics A10-U8Rs I wish I had bought more when they had a super sale! Right now It’s sitting on Herbie’s footers. Not my favorite however, better than the stock footers.

The A10-U8Rs are leather bags filled with tungsten shot. Wave Kinetics website has been down for a month so I think they might have closed up shop. I’m looking into making my own. Tungsten shot is over $50 a pound. The A10-U8Rs are 1.5 pounds each.

I bought a set of the VeraFi Audio VBH-1 footers, while a bit fiddly to setup, one weight is on them they are stable and work well. I still prefer the A10-U8 and A10-U8R but they are a lot more money. I bought two more sets of the VBH-1.

Have you tried removing the top plate? That changed things up too. My brother 3D printed a plastic top for his. Bob included an acrylic top for mine. It’s about 6 inches and 1 inch too small, Bob says that is how it’s designed.  I’m usually good with figuring out mechanical things. I have no idea how it fits. I think he sent me the wrong acrylic top.

Mass loading the Sorcer is a good call, I’ve tried the A10-U8Rs and brass weights both change things around.

One thing my unit has is a button that changes the frequencies. It’s either full range or rolls off the higher frequencies. The frustrating thing is I’m never sure which way as there is no way to tell which option is selected.

Interesting you mentioned the Shumann resonance. I just bought a tube based Schumann resonance generator. I got it for my bedroom, I am curious if it will work in the music room or encompass the music room too.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 02/03/24 at 03:17:59

I don't imagine EarthCalm should still be causing notable detox after this long. You may be experiencing what I did, where somehow the BluShield and Earthcalm together do weird things for your energetic sensibilities.

What amp and DAC? Sounds like you are entering a burnin phase like I am just pulling out of. Burnin is not my fav thing even if the gear is good at it.

I can't really use Herbie's feet much anymore, though Isocups with more transparent mineral balls (can't remember the name, maybe Jasper) are under the Mac Mini which has a disk of I think it is called soundcraft damping on its base, and the isocups were oddly good there last check. And yes to me they were better than stock rubber feet by a ways in general.

I wonder what the Tungsten is supposed to be doing in the A10-U8Rs? I am back to exploring small tumbled gem and crystal chips, as well as ground to various degrees of fineness. Once again, I'm impressed with how they seem to act as semi conductors for noise or something??? Or maybe they mostly just harmonize the energy going through the gear. Whatever they do, each effect the sound differently, and more is more to a point of being too much. It makes me wonder what smaller sized tumbled Quartz crystals would do in a leather bag for feet.

I used pure silica sand for wieght knowing tumbled or ground quartz crystals can improve clarity and dynamics. And having been a potter, I remember hard maple and Bamboo ash being particularly high in silica, which quartz is. And Hard Maple and Bamboo are favored for boards under gear... sooo....

I think I recall Bill telling me my Sorcer Apprentice does taper off somehow above a certain level, maybe important for balancing harmonic effects with audio...vague but maybe to do with what he called the Fourier series... Can't recall, more wanting to hear it than understand it after I got the bug and felt more confident the fundamental frequencies might not make me feel bad. Anyway, it sounds like you can tune that. Do you like one way more than the other? I would guess, being America, down is  off, or the rolled off way.

Yes, worth a try, the Schumann unit, perhaps in your rack area, or centered  somewhere in front of the front diffusors. Cool

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 02/03/24 at 12:46:42

Will, I’m going to unplug the Blushield and put the Earthcalm back in and see how I feel.

I didn’t care for the cryo process on the Torii MKV, I actually wanted to leave the room when it was playing. I panicked! I placed an order for a Lampizat0r Golden Atlantic TRP. I then thought, “I’ve still got a long time to wait for another Torii…” so I ordered a Custom Transcend Push-Pull amp from Aric Audio. I just got the amp 2 days ago. DAC arrives Monday.

Burnin is a bummer even if it’s a fascinating process to experience.

Yesterday I spoke with the guy who bought the Torii MKV and he is very happy with it. I’m glad it found a new home where it’s appreciated.

At one point I was using a lot of Herbies footers, now the only place they are used is under the Sorcer and under wooden cable lifts.

Unfortunately the Wave Kinetics website is no more. I used the way back machine to copy the website copy.

Quote:
How does the A10-U8R work?
The WAVE KINETICS A10-U8R vibration control device looks like nothing else in audio. It is an audio footer and audio top weight in one and while it may look odd to some, it’s performance is nothing less than remarkable. 
The A10-U8R is a revolutionary product incorporating state of the art materials and technology. Leather, being one of the materials used, has amazing vibration control properties. Later on we will discuss them more in depth. The A10-U8R has two very important abilities; it can function as an audio footer and as a top-weight.

As an audio footer, the A10-U8R is designed to provide a stable structure while still allowing for damping and vibration control. When the system is at rest, the A10-U8R behaves as a solid slug with a leather interface. The weight of the component applies force to the top of the A10-U8R which then compresses a spherical bearing array. The bearings align into a hexagonal packed structure held in place by the compliant walls of the container. The walls of the container are soft and thin providing virtually no solid path for vibration to travel from stand to component. At rest, it is as if the component is sitting on a narrow stack of very dense metal bearings with a thin compliant surface on top and bottom. There is no rigid path for vibration transfer, yet the component sits on a stable surface!
As a top weight the A10-U8R adds mass to the component’s chassis. By adding mass the component’s susceptibility to vibration is greatly reduced, but that is not really enough. It also utilizes visco elastic damping and particle impact damping.
Through the visco elastic damping mechanism energy enters and deforms a system and instead of being returned elastically, like a rubber ball being bounced, it is absorbed in viscous shear forces and dissipated in the form of heat.
Through the particle impact damping mechanism vibratory energy is removed through losses that occur during the impact of granular particles which move freely within the boundaries of a cavity attached to a primary system. The particle impact damping effectiveness is related to the ratio of the damper mass to the component mass.
Research shows that the effectiveness of particle impact damping depends, in part, on the ratio of the mass of the component to the mass of the damper. This is known as mass fraction. As a starting point, one A10-U8R would be recommended as a top weight for up to 25 lbs of mass, two for up to 50 lbs and so on.

What types of vibration are treated by the A10-U8R?
* Mechanical vibration from component stands
Vibration energy transmitted through the floor or air introduced to the component stand will corrupt musical playback if allowed to reach the component. Sensitive mechanical components and electronics will perform more poorly in the presence of vibration. The A10-U8R greatly attenuates (-30dB ) the transfer of vibration energy from the stand to the component. There are several mechanisms responsible for this amazing attenuation.
First, the leather exterior interfaces with the extremely soft and compliant retaining structure. This causes a large impedance mismatch and reflects vibration back toward the stand. Leather is an amazingly effective vibration absorber. Elastin, a highly elastic protein arranged in a unique nano-scale structure, allows leather to return to its original shape after being distorted, stretched or vibrated. The micro-structure of cow leather is a layered, complicated network of fibers of different sizes from a few to hundreds of nano-meters in diameter. They show nonlinear stress-strain relations and visco elastic behavior. This visco elastic property is what gives human and animal skin its ability to return to its original shape after being poked or pinched. This makes leather one of nature’s finest vibration absorbing materials.  A thin layer of leather acts as a very effective vibration absorbing and transmission reducing material. The effect is easily visualized by thinking of wearing leather gloves while using a lawn mower or driving a car. In both cases, you feel an order of magnitude less vibration with the gloves on.  
Second, vibration that is transmitted through the impedance mismatch excites minute motion in the spherical bearing array. A combination of extreme density, geometry and coulumb frictional forces cause the spherical array to settle incredibly quickly. Further, the walls of the containment structure proved further damping of the bearing array. Vibration is essentially eliminated as the thousands of bearings vibrate, moving against each other creating friction losses, and react with the walls of the soft container. Finally, any vibration that makes it to the top of the bearing array must again cross a dramatic impedance mismatch before entering the component.
* Air Borne Vibration Energy
When a component is in the same room as loudspeakers, air borne vibration strikes the component directly, bypassing the component stand. This air borne energy can excite resonances in the component chassis, and even components within the chassis. The leather exterior of the A10-U8R absorbs vibration energy across a wide frequency band helping to dissipate the energy in the chassis. Larger amplitude vibration is transmitted into the A10-U8R Vibration Control Device and is dissipated by the spherical bearing array as described above.  as well as the overall dissipation by the other materials utilized.
* Self Generated Vibration
Even if air borne vibration and vibration transmitted from a stand is mitigated, the component itself is a source of vibration. Mechanisms inside the component such as transformers, CD transport mechanisms, reading head mechanisms, turntable motors and components, and even some circuitry can generate substantial amounts of vibration. The leather surface of the A10-U8R provides an exceptionally good interface with the component. As the component rests on the footer, the surface of the component presses into the leather creating a form fitting surface interface. This creates an effective surface area to couple the footer and component for maximum vibration attenuation. This interface serves two functions. First, it creates a path for energy to flow into the A10-U8R and be dissipated as described above. Second, the interface allows rotational energy such as nutating CD transports, and turntable mechanisms to be damped directly. For example, a CD drive mechanism may rotate at 20-30 Hz. If the drive mechanism is not perfectly balanced or if the printing on the CD is not perfectly symmetrical, the rotation will induce a vibration which will in turn shake the entire component. The soft attachment interface with the A10-U8R effectively damps this type of vibration directly. This specific mode of vibration damping was optimized for rotational and lateral vibrations as encountered in CD transports and Turntables. The A10-U8R Vibration Control Device is also effective at damping other vibration energy generated by a component.

I also have the Wave Kinetics record W8. It also uses tungsten balls in leather. I really like it, keeps everything sounding real and natural.

Echo Hifi still has some for a steep discount last time I checked. Echo Hifi had 20 of the A10-U8Rs for $50 each. As I said in my last post tungsten is $50+ a pound and the units weight 1.5 pounds each. I wish I bought all of them.

The button on the Sorcer to drop or increase the high frequencies is a push button. It returns the same place after pushing. So there is no way to visually see if it’s active or not. I might shoot Bill a message and ask if I can add a flip switch

I did buy the Schumann generator for my bedroom, it has a special night/sleep mode. I’m sure I’ll bring it into the music room and see what happens.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 02/04/24 at 20:55:02

Sounds good GS... big changes! Seems like for a long time I have now and then stumbled across Aric Audio, and was interested in what I saw. I look forward to what you hear after burnin. I checked at Echo Audio and they have record weights listed, but not the leather bags of tungsten. I will look around for some leather, and if I can find some that seems suitable, experiment... Thanks.

Will

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 02/04/24 at 23:32:15

Spent half an hour yesterday trying to look for the A10-U8Rs and like Will, only found the record weight listed. I was also trying to find the contact info of the owner to see if I could e-mail him and gauge whether there was any left in storage but perhaps not listed?

I have three and probably should have bought more when I had the chance. I use them in a mass loading capacity on my DAC, Streamer, and pre.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 02/06/24 at 10:43:06

Echo Audio is sold out of them, unfortunately. I'm weighing the options of either buying a few leather working tools and trying myself or finding a local leather worker to make me some. I found a place that sells tungsten shot at $52 a pound at 11 pounds the price drops to $40.27 a pound shipped. https://www.super18tungstenshot.com/collections/frontpage I'm not sure what size to get. It feels like they are very fine through the leather. The A10-U8 have a semi-clear squishy (silicone like) filled with tungsten in a metal cup and the balls look larger than the balls feel in the leather.

The one leather worker who I want to ask is on vacation for a bit.

I've unplugged and plugged the Sorcer in and out a few times the last few days. The sound of the system has been changing so much it's not worth even trying to parse what it's doing. The Lampizator TRP arrived yesterday and it's sound is changing drastically.

We are getting really off topic and I think it's really interesting. An excerpt from the TRP manual.

Quote:
BURN IN PERIOD
The DAC comes straight from our factory after around 24 Hours of testing so it is not exactly “new” but it is not burned-in enough. Our customers report back, that after 3 days of constant powering (playing or not) the DAC opens up significantly. Further improvements are observed after up to 7 days when things stabilise.
Additional one day burn in is needed after every time the DAC: travels somewhere (vibrations), or is disconnected for over a month or is subject to cold temperature - like in the car trunk, when left overnight.
When the DAC is fully burned in, the sound quality is stable, and we only need to warm it after powering every day.

In another thread I mentioned how I've observed after an amp or other component is transported it needs 3 days to settle even if it has thousands of hours.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 02/06/24 at 20:39:58

I am trying some caps that have been sitting around for years, once fully burned in. I guess three+ days of heavy play, and still changing, but probably getting close... faster now, less dark, maybe a little slow down low still (but that may be one of the Jupiter VT traits), but they lost apparent veils while showing more immediacy, fine detail and space. The combination even with the powered up, quite clear coppery midrange of Audyn True Coppers, it was a little dark, veiled, concentrated and slow for me at first. Now they are complex, and pretty clear and fast enough, especially since they sound better with more gains on the ZBIT and CSP3 than usual, those contributing lucidity and dynamics. I have found similar with amps and speaker cables, taking a while to reacquaint themselves with musical energy.

Wave Kinetics explanations are overly complicated with too much effort trying to sound scientific. In that language labyrinth, I did wonder about the viscoelasticity going beyond the leather's properties, even doing some searching on viscoelastic polymer beads. I still can't tell but am imaging the footers might just be leather and tungsten. I have never fully loved the few feet I tried with viscoelastic polymer parts, but that may well be just those designs and materials.

Narrowing down the Wave Kinetic talk, the following makes it a little easier for me to visualize ...

"It also utilizes visco elastic damping and particle impact damping.
Through the visco elastic damping mechanism energy enters and deforms a system and instead of being returned elastically, like a rubber ball being bounced, it is absorbed in viscous shear forces and dissipated in the form of heat. (sounds like the leather here

Through the particle impact damping mechanism vibratory energy is removed through losses that occur during the impact of granular particles which move freely within the boundaries of a cavity attached to a primary system. The particle impact damping effectiveness is related to the ratio of the damper mass to the component mass...... (sound like the tungsten)

First, the leather exterior interfaces with the extremely soft and compliant retaining structure. This causes a large impedance mismatch and reflects vibration back toward the stand. Leather is an amazingly effective vibration absorber. Elastin, a highly elastic protein arranged in a unique nano-scale structure, allows leather to return to its original shape after being distorted, stretched or vibrated. The micro-structure of cow leather is a layered, complicated network of fibers of different sizes from a few to hundreds of nano-meters in diameter. They show nonlinear stress-strain relations and visco elastic behavior. This visco elastic property is what gives human and animal skin its ability to return to its original shape after being poked or pinched. This makes leather one of nature’s finest vibration absorbing materials.  A thin layer of leather acts as a very effective vibration absorbing and transmission reducing material. The effect is easily visualized by thinking of wearing leather gloves while using a lawn mower or driving a car. In both cases, you feel an order of magnitude less vibration with the gloves on.

Second, vibration that is transmitted through the impedance mismatch excites minute motion in the spherical bearing array. A combination of extreme density, geometry and coulumb frictional forces cause the spherical array to settle incredibly quickly. Further, the walls of the containment structure proved further damping of the bearing array. Vibration is essentially eliminated as the thousands of bearings vibrate, moving against each other creating friction losses, and react with the walls of the soft container. Finally, any vibration that makes it to the top of the bearing array must again cross a dramatic impedance mismatch before entering the component."

I still have not retested the Sorcer, but need to soon. That I wanted to keep it in from tests after the first several days, feeling like it brought a nice refinement and cohesion of Harmonic qualities, while making em feel pretty good, it makes me think I will like it more now, but we will see. Having the front end plugged into it is a nice tool, another test... plugging them in elsewhere, but I am going to have to deal with that soon in case I want to send it back. I have been happy with the sound with it in though! Once I get the front end clear of it, mine has an on/off switch, so I can test it easily on its own.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 02/07/24 at 11:03:18

will wrote on 02/06/24 at 20:39:58:
Wave Kinetics explanations are overly complicated with too much effort trying to sound scientific. In that language labyrinth, I did wonder about the viscoelasticity going beyond the leather's properties, even doing some searching on viscoelastic polymer beads. I still can't tell but am imaging the footers might just be leather and tungsten. I have never fully loved the few feet I tried with viscoelastic polymer parts, but that may well be just those designs and materials.

That's exactly what they are. I'm in agreement with you, lots of sophisticated language for a leather pouch filled with tungsten balls.

I should have attached a photo.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 02/07/24 at 14:23:26

Yes they look pretty straight forward. What changes do you hear with them?

And oh my! Look at that beautiful new copper top!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/09/24 at 12:13:18

When the A10-U8Rs are used as footers everything sounds natural and right. From top to bottom removes grain and edginess.

The bass is solid and nuanced with lots of texture. This continues into the midrange, full without being slow or thick.

The highs have a nice shimmer and float in the air. They also take on a touch of density, not slowness or muddiness.  

The 3D soundscape becomes more vivid and holographic.

One thing I've noticed with footers is if placed under one component you get a bit of a change. Add footers under another component get a bit more of the same. Get footers under all the components and it's a wow moment. Another way to say this is, when you put footers under the final component it is the largest increase.

The A10-U8s have the same sound, Not as strong as the A10-U8Rs. My guess is two fold. First the A10-U8Rs have more surface area touching the component. Second, I do buy into the leather being a good absorber of vibrations.

As a mass loading device they work well, I haven't compared to brass which is what I've been mass loading with for a few years. They shine as a footer.

Thank you! I agree the copper top is beautiful and functional. I might have gotten one of the last copper tops for Lampizator GA TRP DAC. I specifically asked about it, they said it's becoming very expensive to have a solid copper top and are discontinuing it. Now they are implementing a faux copper top. I said I would pay a premium for it. They said they only have a few left and they are blemished, I said that was okay. I'm happy I went with it, the blemishes you need to search for.

It's difficult to see the A10-U8R under the DAC. I have three of them under there. I'm also using the Vera-Fi VBH-1 under the butcherblock.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/09/24 at 13:14:43

Nice! That is a lot of copper! Way to go getting in on one of he last! And thanks for your impressions of the sound of the A10-U8Rs... sounds like they are pretty right all right. Have you done direct comparisons with the Vera-fi feet? Have you tried either under the Sorcer?

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 02/27/24 at 22:52:22

I'm reporting back with my experiences with the Earthcalm Infinity Home System, Sleep Sanctuary and Sanctuary Silver Pendant.

I sent them back for a refund yesterday. I tried following their adaptation protocol a few times and I always felt better when they were unplugged or taken away and placed back in their special bags.

During this time I experimented with the BluShield unplugged and active.

I haven’t had the Earthcalm or the BluShield “active” in my home for almost 10 days now and I feel amazing. I did add something a Schumann resonator. a few years ago I bought a cheap Schumann resonator and I did feel different with it. I didn’t love it though.

I bought the Day and Night from https://nixiekits.eu/product.php?key=schumann This is a high quality unit. On the website and other websites I’ve read that the quality of the signal is important. This makes a lot of sense to me.

The last 4 days with the Mr Nixie tube Schumann Wave Generator has been excellent in my room. I’ve enjoyed it and felt so good I ordered the top of the line Schumann resonator from Space-Tech Labs. https://space-tech-lab.com/Accessories/SR-2000.php

Not only do I feel fantastic the music is mind bending. To be fair the Lampi DAC and my new amp are over 250 hours now and starting to bloom. The way I feel when near the Schumann resonator is more important than how great my system is sounding.

I have not experimented with the VBH under the Sorcer. Nor have I done a head to head with the A10-U8(R)s The VBH work well however, they are a PITA to setup.

Yes, it’s a lot of copper! I’m really glad I pressed for it. It looks great even with the imperfections and from what I’ve read solid copper chassis does have it’s advantages for EMI RF rejection.

I should be getting the STL SR-2000 mid next week.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: The Places My Curiosity Takes Me…
Reply #44 - 03/02/24 at 20:58:00

I've found having the Schumann Resonator and the Sorcer active at the same time I don't enjoy. I tried putting the Sorcer in another room and still I prefer just the Schumann Resonator over the Sorcer or the Sorcer and Schumann resonator.

Sorcer and Schumann Resonator is a net negative.

I received the Space Tech Lab SR-2000 today. I haven't had much time to play with it. I do find that changing the frequencies is really a wild ride. Can significantly change the way I feel and the way the music sounds.

I'm considering selling the Sorcer X4 now.

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #45 - 03/04/24 at 02:55:08

I just bought Schumann generator and there is a very profound improvement to my systems sound with it in place. I first placed it on top of my music streamer and it made the sound dull. Then I moved it so it's sitting about the same height as the streamer but about 1 foot to the side. In this location my system has taken on a new level of resolution. The soundstage got deeper and moved into the room more. The base is much faster and articulate. I hear much more detail with it in place. I am going to get another one and try it on the other side of the system so I'll have two operating at the same time.

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #46 - 03/05/24 at 16:03:15

This is an incredibly intriguing thread...

I have thought about the theory of some of these ideas for years. Now that there are actual users I can talk to my brain is swirling. Before I get to questions on the Sorcer, I am dying to hear real world experiences with the Franck Tchang resonators. I ran across the 6moons site years ago, I think this is where I saw this stuff. Was that Dominck? DM me if you would like, I don't mean to hijack the thread....

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #47 - 03/05/24 at 21:37:01

I bought the Nobsound S/R. I only paid $55 for a quick test to see if it works. After placing the first unit, I ended up trying two, one on each side of my system and didn't like the results. The resolve left my system and it became hard to listen to.
So I left the first one in place and moved the second to the back of the room. My room is 33 ft long and I'm sitting in about the center of the room. The clarity, focus and resolve all came back. I ordered linear power supplies for each unit. Going to see if that changes anything.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 03/06/24 at 19:57:17

Drew,

I'm not surprised that you didn't like the sound when it was on the streamer. The wave will bounce off the metal top and distort the signal. My guess is a similar thing with one on each side of the room. You will be getting the wave out of phase with each other.

I don't know how to account for placing one in front of the room and one in the back and enjoying it.

In the past I’ve used Schumann resonators. I’ve noticed a slight difference nothing profound.

A week or two ago I received the Mr. Nixie Tube Schumann Resonator Day & Night. Instantly I felt it. It provides an energetic calm feeling. A feeling that everything is right in the world. This is how life should feel.

Listening to music is elevated. It’s like it’s been remastered for my brain. Which is sort of what is happening. The theory is that if your body is in harmony you will hear better. There is a signal level knob on the device. The manual suggests starting at 9 o’clock and slowly turning it up in 1 hour increments until the sound gets heavy, then turning it back in 30 minute increments until it gets light again.

The Day & Night unit also has a knob to change the frequency, from 3.91 Hz to 20.3 Hz Turning the knob to “day” increases the feeling of energy and adds an alertness to the feeing. Think of a dam holding back millions of gallons of water. It’s peaceful and if need be a torrent of energy and power can be released. The “night” setting will slowly start to give extremely relaxed feelings.

Going from day to night settings does have an impact on how music sounds.

Saturday the STL SR-2000 arrived. This unit has a range from .01 to 9999.99 Hz. Included is a list of frequencies and how they interact with the body. Also lists some that are good “audiophile” frequencies.

It’s been really wild dialing in a frequency feeling how it feels waiting a few minutes and changing the frequency again. Some don’t do much for the listening experience. They all feel a little different.

I’ve slept with the SR-2000 in the bedroom had the frequency at 3.97. 40% strength. Upon waking up I felt like I could go back to sleep even though I slept well. I got up and changed the frequency to 14.10 Wow I was instantly—well maybe not instantly, less than a minute—alert and ready to go! I’m going to try sleeping with at 7.83 tonight and slightly higher signal.

The Mr. Nixie unit offers a much stronger field. At first I thought it was because it’s using a tube and adds the tube harmonics. After peeking inside the SR-2000 unit I think it’s because the Mr. Nixie unit has a stronger signal. Tube harmonics could also be part of it.

I have tried using Mr. Nixie and the SR-2000 at the same time. Mr. Nixie at 7.83 Hz and SR-2000 at higher frequencies like 144 Hz or 432 hz.

I’m going to order more of these. They do have limited range. The Mr. Nixie says up to 5m which is ~15 feet.

SR-2000 says up to 1000 sq ft which is about the same distance. However, I think that’s on the optimistic side. The transducer on the Mr. Nixie is almost twice the size. Or the Mr. Nixie is understated. Based on how it feels I think the Mr. Nixie is accurate.

Even if music sounded the same I want what these units provide. The music is a nice touch.

Music flows more naturally. More detail without being forced. There is an aliveness to the music. Bass has more texture and nuance.

I’ve had both the units behind the listening position. Not on at the same time... well at 7.83 Hz at least.

I have played around with the Mr. Nixie and SR-2000 at a much higher frequency say 432, 528 and 741 Hz as examples.

1stWatt, I think those units are passive?

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 03/08/24 at 12:25:18

This thread is fascinating.  First off, thank you to all that have contributed.  I really appreciate the Decware community!

I started looking into the Mr Nixie Day/Night resonator after reading GroovySauce’s last reply.  I also sent links from the website to my wife, who is traveling this week for work.

https://noc.galacticage.org/schumann-resonance/

“Humans are tuned to the resonant vibration of earth.” 

“Human beings vibrate, (yes that means you) and the frequency they emit ranges from 5-10hz. We are in the same range as the 7.83hz of the earth. (Source)

“This is why nature is healing to people. It helps them match the earth frequency of 7.83 which boost the body’s natural ability to heal and regulate itself.”

-Reference (article above)

My wife has been going to a Reiki master on/off for the past couple of years and as I was reading through the information on Schumann resonances I wondered if there was a connection.  She  swears by the healing benefits of Reiki sessions.  

I then came across the following article about the science behind Reiki:

https://serenityattunement.com/index.php/the-science-behind-reiki/

“The frequency occurring most often in the hands of energy therapists was 7 Hz…”

“The brain waves of energy therapists synchronize with the earth’s magnetic field. Also in the extremely low frequency (ELF) range is the Schumann Resonance, the basic frequency of the earth’s electromagnetic spectrum estimated to be 7.83 Hz. Some scientists call it the “tuning fork” of the planet, claiming that it generates natural healing properties when living things are entrained to its rhythm.”

Source (link above)

I think my mind just exploded a little bit…

A bit of background…we moved back to the East Coast fairly recently.  I grew up here so there was a a decent amount of history I had to process initially, but once we settled down, I still feel like there is an energy that feels off to me (my wife feels it too).  We currently live near the train station (e.g. high electrical energy) and my wife’s hypothesis is that is part of the problem.  After reading through this thread, there is likely more at play.    

I’m mostly doing creative work these days, and under most circumstances don’t have a problem connecting with and acting as a conduit with the creative universe.  That said, after reading this thread, I wonder if there is an opportunity to optimize the space further to deepen the connection.  For me, any potential audio benefits would be secondary/tertiary in priority.

I would like to try out at least one Mr Nixie tube Schumann resonance generator as an experiment.  The day/night version seems like the way to go.  

Groovy, did you order directly from their website?  Seems like for international orders you need to contact them directly??  How long did it take to receive the device once you placed the order?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print