Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 04:49:05 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slight hum thru speakers with UFO2, normal? (Read 14977 times)
canonken
Seasoned Member

Slight hum thru speakers with UFO2, normal?
05/17/21 at 15:38:14

Hi,

When using my UFO2 with a pair of sensitive, no-crossover full range speakers, I get a constant low frequency hum. It is not impacted by volume, input switch being flipped, etc.

While not annoying, it's there, I can hear it. Is this normal or something else going on? Should I hear anything at all?

Note: can I try the amp with a cheater plug to rule out ground loop hum issues, would this cause any problems (hurt the amp?)

Thanks!

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Re: Slight hum thru speakers with UFO2, normal?
Reply #1 - 05/17/21 at 15:42:40

I guess I just happened to see this first. Have you tried swapping the input tubes? I diagnosed hum on a CSP2 for a couple of months and tried a dozen things, but noise/hum on the input tubes always made the biggest difference.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/17/21 at 15:54:34

That's easy, I only have 8 others I've purchased!

I'm using the stock tube now.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/21 at 16:05:42

Awesome Smiley Try 3-4 others first and see how you feel. I've also heard that if it's a brand new amp, hum noise can go away over time as the amp settles in.

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/17/21 at 16:08:16

It's louder for the first 60 seconds after powering on, then quieter but still notice it.

Amp has a hundred or so hours on it. Not brand new, but not super broken in either.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/17/21 at 16:20:56

Yes I can confirm that even after thousands of hours, my amps still hum loudly for a couple of seconds when they first power on. Not sure whether other Decware owners will confirm the same, but it probably has to do with the amp powering up process.

After that initial phase passes, at this point I only have hum if the tubes in the amp have hum. All of the tubes can contribute or take hum away, but I think 75% of the impact is with the input tube, followed by 20% with the rectifier, and then 5% with the output tubes.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/21 at 23:17:32

Hmmm, I tried a cheater plug, no change, and a new input tube, no change.

It 'feels' like it is either inherent to the amp (can anyone else confirm if they get hum on very sensitive speakers) or something else contaminating the signal (not directly related to the amp).

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/17/21 at 23:31:09

I'll defer to other, much more knowledgeable, members at this point.

Another thread on hum with the UFO2 here, which seems to have been resolved with burn in:
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1615046257

All of my music is digital, so I've attacked hum by swapping tubes (input and rectifier both made a difference), adding a Hum X to the plug (didn't work), adding an iDefender (didn't work), adding a power regenerator (made a small difference), adding a USB signal regenerator/galvanic isolator (made a difference), and some other odds and ends that didn't substantially reduce hum. I also swapped plugs in the same room and that didn't help.

Good luck! I run headphones so I'm also ultra sensitive to hum.

Richard

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/21/21 at 00:54:42

I've go nothing.

I do think that with clean power, Steve's amps are very quiet.  Certainly no audible hum from the listening chair.  If you haven't tried yet, try different electrical circuits -- even if you have to use an extension cord.  If you get any change, better or worse, dirty power may be the culprit.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/23/21 at 01:48:11

Thanks, I will try that.  Good news is the amp is easy to move!

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/23/21 at 19:56:40

Tried different circuits (different part of the house), different cables, etc. and no change (better or worse).

The noise emitting from the driver is not annoying, but the 'mmmmmmmmmmm' from the front horn which sounds like a quiet aquarium pump or some sort of pump or motor running in a different room.

As I said, it is enough I can lightly touch the driver and feel it vibrating slightly.  I can hear the faintest hiss from the driver, but absolutely gone at listening distance and not an issue.

The transformer buzzes/hums.  Again, cannot hear it at all from listening distance, but it seems like it is buzzing at the same frequency as what I am hearing from the drivers.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/23/21 at 20:07:52

Time to contact Steve?  Several years ago I sent my ZP3 back to him for a hum that he fixed.  He can help you troubleshoot.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/23/21 at 20:17:36

Thanks.

Obviously no obligation, but if the amp is on, warmed up (hour on), no RCAs connected, this is what I read from the binding posts on the amp.  I know this alone does not mean anything (an amp will not be at zero, and I expect some noise from a tube amp), but curious if this sort of idle output is significant compared to other UFOs.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 05/24/21 at 01:15:57

1) we need to know exactly which full-range speaker is being used and in what cabinet.

2) we need to know how loud the hum is and from how far away. (SPL meter at 1 foot away)

Based on that info we can determine if what you are hearing is normal operation or not.

The MV meter has no way to distinguish between hum and ultrasonic noise, so we can't tell much from that either.

When testing for hum, first step is have the amp warmed up for at least a couple minutes.  Then remove the input cables and turn the volume control all the way down.  What you hear is your baseline hum with the tubes that are in the amp at the time of the test.

There is nothing inside a Zen amp that can cause hum other than the rectifier tube fuses.  There are a total of 3.  Two of the fuses are protecting the amp from shorted high voltage plates in the rectifier tube, and the other larger value fuse is protecting the amp from shorted filament in the rectifier.

We know the larger fuse is OK because the rectifier tube is glowing.  We don't know if both of the remaining fuses are OK because the amplifier will still work with only one.  It will however have audible hum if one of these fuses blew.

Check the two smaller value fuses (200 or 250 mA) and see if they are both good.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/24/21 at 02:43:50

Steve - I will e-mail customer support (unless you want to talk more here for future knowledge sharing), but one of the fuses was very blown (one on the left/white RCA input side of the amp - the fuse wire is totally vaporized).  The other two are fine and I measure continuity.

Because I first used the amp on my low-sensitivity speakers (where the hum is virtually inaudible), I do not know when it happened.

Thanks, and I hope this is a good thing!

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 06/21/21 at 22:42:07

Wanted to follow up.  There were some delays (lost package, someone on vacation), but have the replacement fuses in and that fixed almost all of the problem.

Just for the sake of mentioning it, the readings went from 7.5 to 2.1 on the meter - but in practical terms, I can no longer 'feel' the hum by touching the drives and it is significantly reduced.  I still hear the hum in a dead quiet room, but it is no longer what it was.  I wish there was something I could do to further reduce it (obviously none would be best), but at least at the point where it is no longer what it was.  For the sake of objectivity, it is possible the hum I am getting is from an outside source (it is still there with the RCA leads unplugged), power or other interference.  I just don't know if 'some' hum is inevitable.

Also curious...how could the amp operate at all with one of the fuses blown?  

IP Logged
Eldergod
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 06/24/21 at 14:31:53

Canonken, I sent you a pm.  I am still having the same issue.  I thought it was resolved from my original thread (and did improve), but I resigned myself that this was what to expect from tubes as it's my first.  To confirm, the fuses are 200 mA and 250 mA?  Which one was blown?

SE84UFO2 w/25th mods, TEAC AI-2000, Pass ACA, Pro-Ject Carbon Black DC, Schiit Mani, Pioneer Elite PD-65, Gallo Reference 3.1, X-LS Encores, DIY Caintuck Betsy’s, Audio-Pro B2-40, PE SUB-800, Drop HiFiman HE4XX, Drop Senn. HD6XX, Bottlehead Crack
  IP Logged
Eldergod
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 06/25/21 at 22:35:00

Update for me, and I’ll update my thread as well Monday or Tuesday: spoke to canonken a bit via pm and also spoke to Steve. Pulled both small 200mA/250V fuses, and thought they were both blown. Turns out my middle age eyes are struggling to see that very thin element and once I measured them only one was blown.  Ordered a replacement, should be here Mon pm, and hopefully good to go. Canonken, appreciate you taking time to respond, and Steve, thank you for fitting me in Thurs afternoon to chat!

SE84UFO2 w/25th mods, TEAC AI-2000, Pass ACA, Pro-Ject Carbon Black DC, Schiit Mani, Pioneer Elite PD-65, Gallo Reference 3.1, X-LS Encores, DIY Caintuck Betsy’s, Audio-Pro B2-40, PE SUB-800, Drop HiFiman HE4XX, Drop Senn. HD6XX, Bottlehead Crack
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/25/21 at 22:50:25

Good to hear, excited to see everything back to normal.

I am still not sure if the level of hum I am hearing is normal or not (with the fuse replaced).

IP Logged
Eldergod
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 06/28/21 at 16:17:34

Ok.  Fuses came a day early (yesterday).  Replaced the blown one, hooked everything back up, and got to listen quite a bit.  Hum is definitely MUCH improved.  Not noticeable at all from my listening position which is in a smallish room (11x12).  I can still hear it slightly if I put my ear directly beside the speakers, but cannot detect cone movement while touching it.  All in all, I am good with that.  The sound is noticeably....  tighter, focused, deeper, real, more THERE.  Certainly a significant improvement, which was nice since it was kinda like delivery day all over again.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 06/28/21 at 18:57:47

Elder, that's really great news! I'm glad you got to the bottom of it. Enjoy!

Brad

IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 11/03/22 at 15:27:52

Hello,

I would like to check the fuses near the rectifier in my SE84UFO2.1. What is the best way to access those?

Thank You,
Chris

Allo USBridge Signature Streamer > Musician Pegasus DAC > SE84UFO2.1 Amp RCA 1> Lii Audio Origin S-10 Speakers < SE84UFO2.1 Amp RCA 2 < Darlington Labs MP-7 Phono Preamp < Technics SL-100C Turntable < AT-VM95ML, SH Stylus
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 11/03/22 at 16:13:16

If the innards of this amp are what I suspect they are, remove the screws holding the metal chassis to the wooden amp and there should be a little board with three fuses on the underside near the rectifier.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 11/03/22 at 16:53:06

Thank You, do you know if the screws are located on the top or bottom of the unit?

Allo USBridge Signature Streamer > Musician Pegasus DAC > SE84UFO2.1 Amp RCA 1> Lii Audio Origin S-10 Speakers < SE84UFO2.1 Amp RCA 2 < Darlington Labs MP-7 Phono Preamp < Technics SL-100C Turntable < AT-VM95ML, SH Stylus
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 11/03/22 at 16:55:50

They are on the top, near the edges of the chassis where it meets the wooden base. Should be 8 I believe: one on each corner, and one in the middle of each long side, and one in the middle of each short side.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 11/09/22 at 23:26:00

Thank you for your help. I was able to access the 3 rectifier fuses and check them. All 3 are good. I am still trying to track down the cause of the speaker hum.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 11/10/22 at 00:55:09

I guess it's time to get with Sarah and set up an appointment to talk with Steve. . . .

IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 12/20/22 at 21:13:25

I learned that the hum is normal.  I am hearing the power supply ripple when I place my ear close to the speaker. I do not notice the hum from the listening position about 4 feet from the speaker. These are the Lii Audio Silver 10 which have a sensitivity rating of 98 dB. I can also hear hum when using the Klipsch R-51m speakers that have an 89 dB sensitivity rating.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #28 - 12/21/22 at 00:38:47

Chris, thanks for exploring the "hum" questions once again.  I searched the forum, and it appears often.  My take on the bottom line is what you said:

I learned that the hum is normal

What's complicated is that sometimes a hum signals a problem - like with a bad fuse - then it's a symptom.  Or, as you suggest, it can be expected, allowed for - not a problem.  I have read other posts that suggested that its presence may accompany good fidelity.

I struggle with that.  Reflexively, I always want to give the hum a black hat—something to be eliminated.

Do all tube amps hum?  Is it just the nature of the beast?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 12/21/22 at 15:13:21

I don’t know that all tube amps have hum, this is my first tube amp. It sounds like hum is more common in single ended amplifiers, because there is no common mode rejection. Also, the more capacitance that you have for the ‘smoothing capacitor’ the less power supply ripple there will be. However, the higher smoothing capacitance puts more demand on the power transformer and rectifier tube. So that would limit the types of tubes available for use.

This is an interesting article about guitar amps that applies.
https://www.valvewizard.co.uk/smoothing.html

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 12/21/22 at 17:57:58

I also had a slight hum, in the manual they advise to place the power cord on the same plug than the source, I was shocked because it is counter intuitive, but did it and it reduced it to very negligeable.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 12/21/22 at 19:05:58

an issue not just in tube equipment , my NAD integrated ss amp with toroidal transformer hums the loudest including mechanical buzz right off the tranny but very slight through speakers.

IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 01/08/23 at 20:15:44

I suspect I'm also hearing power supply ripple with my SE84UFO25. I hear a pretty quiet but audible 120hz hum from the speakers, and a similar quiet hum from the transformer itself (I have a Zp3 and CSP325 that also have a very quiet transformer hum). Things I've tried so far:
- Disconnecting all inputs
- Moving it around the room
- Upgraded power cord
- Emotiva CMX-2 to make sure there's no DC offset
- Swapping input tube/testing without input tube
- Swapping output tubes
- Swapping rectifier tube
I'm getting the same quiet hum no matter what I do... it's not bad, but it's slightly noticeable from my listening position (it's close and in a small room).

If it is just power supply ripple, is there anything else I can try? I've only got maybe 20 hours on the amp, should I just keep listening (seems like that's worked for some people)? Is it worth trying a different set of 0A3 regulators, or would those likely have no effect?

IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 01/13/23 at 17:45:10

Ok I've done a little more experimenting. Here's what I've found/done:

Setup: only the SE84UFO25 turned on, input shorted with shorting plugs, the only thing it's connected to is speakers (home built full range with MarkAudio Alpair 10p drivers, no crossover).

I measured the sound at the speakers with my phone. It's a 55dB hum, at 120hz. The room is 40dB without the amp on. Hooking a scope up to the outputs, I'm seeing +/-4mV. The hum isn't there when I first turn the amp on, but once the OA3 regulator tubes are fully on, it's there, and constant, regardless of how long I leave things on for.

It's the same for both channels, and is audible at my listening position about 6 ft away. The transformer makes a quiet hum at the same frequency, only audible maybe 2 ft away.

Things I've tried, none of which have made any difference at all:
- Different power cords
- Different outlets
- Moved to middle of room
- Tried with/without Emotiva DC offset eliminator
- Different speaker cables
- Switched out input tubes
- Switched out power tubes
- Switched out rectifier tube
- Switched out one of the regulator tubes for an OA3 from my ZP3 phono stage
- Removed input tube

FWIW, I have a ZP3 and CSP325, they makes the same transformer noise, but don't seem to add any noise to the output. I verified this by hooking them up to a Schitt Aegir power amp. This setup (ZP3 + CSP325 + Aegir) made no noticeable noise at the speaker when powered on but nothing playing. Everything is on the same outlet.

At this point, not sure what else I should try, as literally nothing has changed the 120hz hum (nothing makes it better, nothing makes it worse), and other setups in the same space don't hum/make noise. Any ideas? Is this just inherent to the amp? If so are there any modifications I could try internally to reduce it? Thanks!

-Sam

IP Logged
ChJKy (Chris)
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 01/13/23 at 22:58:47

Have you checked the fuses? Steve has mentioned the fuses several posts up. I don't see it on your quite thorough list of things you've tried.

IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 01/13/23 at 23:38:16

I haven't... the amp is pretty new, ~20 hours in, and I haven't noticed any weird flashing from rectifier or anything... the hum has been there since the first time I powered it on, and is pretty quiet, but at this point, couldn't hurt, I'll give that a shot!

IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #36 - 01/14/23 at 01:16:16

It looks like the SE84UFO25 only has 1 fuse (the non-25th has multiple AFAICT), which is intact (unless I'm missing something, but I sure didn't find any other fuses inside). Hmm... On to the next idea!

IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 01/16/23 at 01:30:25

Hi Sam,

What oscilloscope did you use to measure the output?

I just received a Hantek DSO2D15 and would like to figure out how to measure my amp.

Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 01/16/23 at 03:50:34

I have a Siglent SDS1202X-E... I just hooked the ground up to the black terminal, and the probe to the red terminal... With the amp on and nothing connected, the signal was pretty noisy (relatively speaking), it's not a clean 120hz, but I was able to measure the frequency and peak to peak amplitude close enough. I'm no expert by any means though, could have done the whole thing wrong... nothing burst into flames though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trying not to spend a TON of money chasing ghosts, this could just be hum within spec and i'm in a small room with sensitive speakers, but I did order a Furman PST-8 power conditioner, we'll see if that helps (the Emotiva CX-2 did not). I'll report back on that when it arrives.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #39 - 01/16/23 at 17:23:21

Sam,

I can share your frustration about such issues when all I want to do is plug and play. Didn't buy a product just to immediately start troubleshooting it! Now the truth here is that I have experienced this with many high quality audio products, so I am not pointing out a certain brand of equipment. Here is what I have found out usually by accident. Lets take hum for example since it seems to be a more common problem than many others. In short there have been times that the combination/synergy of products produce unwanted results, even if each product by itself is wonderful. I have a SS power amp that had/has hum in one channel, and believe me, there was not one stone left unturned including sending it back to the engineer that first worked on it (not surprising to me, he had no such issue at His location). Sounds kinda bad but I do not have a hum issue anymore since I have switched less sensitive speakers. Yes, the hum is still there, but barely audible with my ear next to the driver. The drivers before were about 94db as compared to the new set at about 88db. I am not necessarily expecting you to go out and buy new drivers, but I am pointing out that super sensitive drivers do seem to have more of an issue with this hum problem. Kind of like using headphones compared to speakers I guess.
 Also, you mention a smaller listening area in where your listening distance may be less than other larger rooms. Yup, another chance for this to be an issue, although I won't fault you for the cards that your dealt.
All things considered there may be consequences to the choices that we have before us, intended or not.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #40 - 01/16/23 at 17:49:44

4K. I have enjoyed your explanations and the sharing of your experience with this aggravating subject. You have brought up several things that I had not thought about.

This is why a quality forum is such a great thing. Such a good opportunity to learn.

Sorry to those that have not found a workable solution for this issue. I have been there, and luckily, got past it. Good luck to everyone with this.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 01/16/23 at 18:51:06

Yeah I very much appreciate everyone's help/comments. I don't think there's anything broken with my gear, it seems pretty close to being within spec, so I'm hunting down various environmental things at this point (power, general noise in the air).

The tricky thing with only having 2.3 watts to play with is going with less sensitive speakers isn't much of an option. If I ever do find a solution, I'll be sure to post it here for future reference. Even if I can't fix things, I still totally get the Decware magic, I've heard stuff I never expected to!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #42 - 01/16/23 at 22:39:45

Thanks Geno, I needed that. It isn't automatic to consider everything in the mix when only one thing seems at fault. I did outside plant trouble shooting for the telephone company (when it really WAS the telephone company). I didn't learn quickly enough to section out possible trouble. That would mean that you would possibly drive right by the problem and go where you thought the problem was. Back then you could get on a test board in the central office and even listen to the trouble. Yup, it all plays in its own key. Wet cable sounds different than a cable with a ground on it, but not always. Anyway, the old timers helped me sort it out. If you knew your territory, it could very well help.
So, I try to apply this to other subjects such as audio and it has its uses. Main thing, get out of your brain once in a while and look around.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #43 - 01/17/23 at 00:49:01

Sam,

What power cables are you using? Do you have a power conditioner?

What music sources are you playing from?

Just thinking out loud, after looking at your list of things you’ve tried.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 01/17/23 at 03:59:08

I'm using these power cords: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081YD1F57

Those are plugged into an Emotiva CMX-2, I've also tried plugging directly into the wall, and using the stock power cables, same results either way.

For sources, I have a Technics SL-1500C->ZP3->CSP325 chain, and also a Raspberry Pi running volumio -> RME ADI-2-DAC FS -> CSP325. No difference in hum between the turntable/pi. The SE84UFO25 makes the same hum even with the inputs shorted, and hooking the CSP325 up to a Schiit Aegir doesn't make any hum, so I don't think there's any ground loops or anything.

I ordered a Furman PST-8 power conditioner, we'll see if that does anything (although the Emotiva didn't, so who knows)! The hum overall is pretty quiet, and I think from the listening position it's mostly from the transformers themselves, I don't know how much the hum from the speakers is reaching me.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #45 - 01/17/23 at 05:03:57

Sam,

IMO, next on your list, should be a Decware power cable. Made a big difference in my rig.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
ChrisJHouse
Verified Member

Reply #46 - 01/17/23 at 18:37:37

Hi Geno,

It appears that you have basically the same amp and speakers as I. Do you hear hum from the speakers using the SE84UFO with the Crystal 10s ?

Chris

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #47 - 01/18/23 at 00:16:07

Hey Chris. The setup is dead quiet now.

I have everything run through a Decware power conditioner.

I did chase a hum problem when I first put the Darlington preamp in a short time ago. A few months before this, I had gotten a new power cord, and run it from the conditioner to the wall. But I had only played from a digital source after the new cable, with no issues.

When I got the phono setup going, I had bad hum. I tried a bunch of different things, before I switched out the power cable to a Decware cable, and the hum completely disappeared.

All of my past hum issues have been in my phono chain. Seems to be much more susceptible to such problems.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #48 - 01/18/23 at 01:04:26

Ah nah Geno,

I can get anything to hum. HA! Then chase it until I need more therapy.

IP Logged
Sam V
Verified Member

Reply #49 - 01/19/23 at 04:27:30

I got a Furman PST-8 delivered today, plugged everything in to that, and sadly, there was no difference. Not sure what else to try, and don't super feel like spending more money on speculative guesses at this point. Oh well, I'll see if letting everything burn in a bit helps, otherwise I don't really have any other ideas.

I think one issue is just my room is small. From the listening position, I think I'm mostly hearing quiet transformer hum and not the hum from the speakers themselves (but the speaker hum hasn't changed at all, regardless of what I've done). It would be nice if everything was dead silent, but there you have it! Thanks for all the suggestions along the way, and if I ever do figure things out, I'll be sure to report back!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print