03/28/24 at 14:15:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preamp question (Read 5564 times)
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Preamp question
03/24/21 at 15:01:07

I just acquired a lightly used Rachel and it’s totally amazing; it has completely transformed my listening experience. With its single input I’m currently running our CD directly and the variance in output levels is a little bit annoying making me want to add a control. Is anyone using or familiar with Schiitts Valhalla? I already have their Modi 3+ and it’s a nicely made little switcher and that makes me think the Valhalla would be a nice piece.
Ed

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: Preamp question
Reply #1 - 03/27/21 at 17:06:09

EdwardT- Congrats on the amp! We love our Rachel and all the other gear. I don't have the Schitts preamp, I do have two of their DAC's and I think they have a pretty good eval period if you get the preamp from them. Of course, I would suggest keeping your eyes open for a Decware CSP3 in the classified cause that's going to be a magical combo. Keep us posted on your path and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/28/21 at 00:16:05

Chris,
I like the idea that Schiit will give me 15 days to decide for a 5% restocking fee. I’m keen on a CSP3 but I really need to get my speakers in order first, I have some issues with the Klipsch RP-160Ms I have now, I’m halfway thru constructing a set from GR Research and I’m thinking I’m going to have several sets of bookshelf cabs to spare before I get settled in.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 03/28/21 at 17:09:26

EdwardT- Understood, first things first. We used our Rachel without the CSP3 for a while, but I realized that the CSP3 was going to give me the ability to gain ride the system better, and adjust for balance between recordings (vinyl) so much more than a typical pre amp it was the only option for me....just had to wait until a used one came up in the classifieds and I was ready. Get your speakers to the point you are satisfied and then tackle the other issues. I have found (as have others on this forum) that adding another Decware product in the signal chain is seldom if ever a negative in sound quality. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Cuff
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/21 at 00:12:20

Edward T:

I can't speak to the Valhalla as a preamp with a Rachael, but I've used an Asgard 2, Lyr 2, a Saga, and Freya and Freya+ as preamps in my main system with Rachael, and Bifrost Multibit, Bifrost 2, and Gungnir MB as my DACs. My signature shows how things are currently allocated across the two main systems in my house (I'm also running a Modius/Magnius stack in a home office, with powered monitors). I never listen with headphones in my main living spaces, so the Freya+ gets the win. Based on all the positive comments about the CSP-3 on these forums, I'm sure it would be a great choice. I wanted remote control, so the Freya was right for me.

There have been noticeable improvements as I've scaled my Schiit, both in the preamp and DAC lines. Rachael has never been the weak link. I doubt you would be unhappy with a Valhalla as a temporary pre, but a Freya+ or CSP-3 will provide greater audio bliss!

Roon Nucleus>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya+>SE34I.5>Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S & Rythmik F25 sub (main system); Schiit Bifrost 2>Schiit Freya>Torii Mk4>DM945 (second system)
  IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #5 - 04/11/21 at 22:42:48

Anything from Schiit would be an excellent choice. The Vali 2 would be another one to look at. I have one I am using with a Modi Multibit in the bedroom with my headphones. I am using a Saga with a Modi 3 in my living room....my wife wanted a remote. In my main system I am using a Jotunheim. I would have preferred a tube preamp, but this one gives me three inputs(phono, RCA and XLR) and two outputs (RCA and XLR). I have my Gungnir Multibit and my SOTA turntable hooked up with an RCA input to spare. I think of the Jotunheim as a poor man's Freya. The Modius or Bifrost2 would stack well with the Jotunheim (or Asgard). The Jotunheim is the only headphone/preamp that has three inputs.

Obviously I am a Schiit fanboy. I recommend the Vali ($149) if you are just buying it as a place holder until you can afford something better. I also recommend the Jotunheim with a phono card ($500) for it's versatility. I am using the XLR outputs to run a DBX Driverack (active crossover, DSP and more stuff I don't know what to do with) to biamp my Decware Imperials.  I honestly never thought I would use the XLR outputs. The RCA outputs are hooked up to an old Motorola tube amp driving some F12 caintuck clones.

Edit: I don't know if you are into vinyl or not...or even thinking about going down that rabbit hole. And I am not pressuring you to do so.  The Schiit phono card is good, but it is the weak link in my system. When I can afford it I plan to get a Decware ZP3. Don't ask me how the Jotunheim sounds with headphones.... I may never know... I didn't buy it for that.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/12/21 at 13:35:46

I ended up on a different path buying a ZStage from the classifieds, I’m waiting on a brown truck later this week.

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #7 - 04/13/21 at 08:51:56

Good choice. Enjoy your new toy.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp