01/26/21 at 06:00:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP2+ as pre with SS (Read 59 times)
chapsjon
Verified Member

CSP2+ as pre with SS
01/04/21 at 13:06:09

Since I am currently stationed in Japan, I acquired a Pioneer Exclusive M4 50 W class A amp some time back. I found it at a Japanese 2nd hand store, so picked it up at considerably less than they typically go for. These were several thousand dollars when new in early 70s.
Since it is a stand alone amp, it requires a pre-amp. Thankfully, I have a CSP2+ that I have used at various times as a pre and headphone amp. While it still occasionally gets used at a headphone amp, it is now almost exclusively used with the M4. The combo is quite amazing. I absolutely love my Mini Torri for the bedroom system, but in the LR with 3 way Yamaha NS-500ma's, the M4/ CSP2+ combo absolutely rocks! Complete control from top to bottom. This can be difficult to find with bass. Here it is plentiful. Dynamic, powerful, imaging and sound staging that makes you look. Pure, incredible tone.
Just wanted anyone with quality SS amp looking for a great pre to know, I find it perfectly suited for the job.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP2+ as pre with SS
Reply #1 - 01/05/21 at 02:29:43

When I had my CSP3 I used it for a while with my Audiosector Patek, and it was great combo. A CSP can make just about any amp sound good, SS or tube.

David

IP Logged
chapsjon
Verified Member

Re: CSP2+ as pre with SS
Reply #2 - 01/08/21 at 00:06:02

I am sure you're right, the CSP2+ or 3 is just a fantastic pre, which is part of what I was hoping to help people understand. If you shop for quality tube pre's (or even ss for that matter), you'll find that most start at a significantly higher price point than the CSP. They may have more inputs, but are almost never all tube, point to point wiring, etc.... From what I found, you'd have to spend at least $1,000 more to get something that starts to compare, probably closer to $2,000 for same league.
Frankly, I stumbled on to my CSP2+ because I found it used at such a good price I bought it primarily as a headphone amp. I "accidentally" discovered how great of a pre it is. Now, I'd say it's even a better pre than it is a headphone amp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print