Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:44:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZBOX Anniversary Mods? (Read 1358 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

ZBOX Anniversary Mods?
08/24/20 at 08:49:37

When the 25th Anniversary Modifications were done to so many of the Decware amplifiers, did the ZBOX get anniversary mods?

Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZBOX Anniversary Mods?
Reply #1 - 08/24/20 at 08:55:14

Yes, if you add the ZBOX to the cart you see these options you can add:

Mods:      
Poly bypass cap mod - adds $140
Beeswax bypass cap mod - adds $260
Mods:      
Tube regulation mod - adds $75

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/25/20 at 06:48:29

I did not think of adding it to the cart to look for the options.
Thanks Lon.

Brian

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/25/20 at 06:52:38

Has someone here heard the before and after? Either the VR tube or one of the bypass caps?

Has Steve commented on the altered sound somewhere on the web site or here in the forum?

I have read most of the threads in this ZBOX forum, but have not seen comment on the mods.

Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/20/21 at 18:30:30

Doesn't seem anyone has . . . I might send mine in later this year.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 04/21/21 at 19:37:11

The VR tube mod brings better liquidity, less grain because it cleans the power.

The Bypass cap mods don't change the sound either, they just add resolution.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/22/21 at 07:06:19

Thank you, Steve.
It is always welcome to get sonic assessment from you on the gear.

Happy spring!
Brian

IP Logged
meraklya
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/24/22 at 14:50:53

Dear manufacturer,

Can you please comment on the difference between the "Poly bypass mod" and the "Copper bypass mod" - in sound quality terms. Is the Copper (or was it Beeswax?) just "better overall" or is it a different flavor of sound altogether, where one might prefer one over the other?

Thank you in advance.

Accuphase E380 / Marantz SACD30N / Technics 1500c / Magnepan .7 / KEF LS50 Meta
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 10/24/22 at 16:06:03

There is a lot of info on the bypass mods in the forum, I found this from Steve Deckert on the Decware Home Page:

These mods are technologies used our Zen Triode Anniversary Amplifier, model SE84UFO25.  They are designed to narrow the sonic gap between the SE84UFO25 and our other models by employing as much of the technology as possible in each.  The most common of these mods (found in the shopping cart for each amp) are called the poly bypass mod, or the copper foil bypass mod.  The later is used in our SE84UFO25 to speed up the power supply for more resolution.  The poly bypass mod is a budget version of the same thing with 80% of the same results.

To really understand why after 25 years of having many of the best sounding amplifiers in the industry we would offer these mods, you first have to understand what happened during the listening evaluations of the SE84UFO25.

You can find that design log here.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1510887200/57#57

I have components with the copper foil bypass mods and have never had the poly mods. BUT I have had a component with the poly caps and then had them upgraded to the copper foil caps (before the UFO25 and the bypass mods were introduced). The poly caps have a very good sound, the copper sound is a bit more revealing and detailed. The poly can be a bit warmer and more forgiving of less than perfect recordings in my experience. I believe these characteristics would cary over in the bypass mods.

IP Logged
meraklya
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 10/24/22 at 22:14:35

Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated.

Accuphase E380 / Marantz SACD30N / Technics 1500c / Magnepan .7 / KEF LS50 Meta
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print