Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:46:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Charoit's Isolation Stage (Read 3246 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Charoit's Isolation Stage
04/12/20 at 10:01:42

DIY projects can lead one down different roads of immense satisfaction or complete depressing failure. One thing for certain is it will be a progressive learning experenice. I like to share the better of the two outcomes that was just finished.

I was searching through my limited stockpile of material for an idea to finish a center channel speaker project when my eye spied a familiar plank of oak. This 2X3/4X80 inch board was out of place, or so I thought, because it was not in it's normal stowed location. A quick look found the 'other' board in the remembered location. It took a few minutes to recall that these boards were from another successful project that fell out of vogue. So now I have 2 same sized oak boards! Hmmm!

The ASKA amp, CD player, and DAC always sat on the concrete floor since the Charoits completion. I assumed this would be best until a proper stand could be made. The discovery of the oak boards just set into action a plan to finally get the electronics off the floor. The wood would be enough to create a frame 60X17-1/2x2 inchs. This size that would fit well in the Chariots layout.

Totally consumed now and blowing off the reason for the original scavaging, I starting looking at possibles to created a platform or stage for the electronics. There was some 1/4" hardboard panels stacked against the wall...check. 1/4" piece of plywood nested in the hardboard...check. Found enough 3/8" bolts, nuts, washers, and coupling nuts...check. A bucket of carpet glue was found...check. Roll of black felt...check. Oak veneer...check.  Trump would be proud of my procurment of materials to complete a new project without one step outside the shelter! I'm set...the center channel speaker final is going have to wait!

These days all my projects are made with hand tools. I use to have access to a complete wood shop in a prior life Wink The same precision can be accomplished with hand tools as compared with stationary machines but at a much slower rate. Preplanning of cuts is very helpful with speeding up the slower process using hand tools.

So, my plan was to make a box frame out of oak and fill the 2" height with alternating layers of hardboard and plywood using a notched trowel spreading carpet glue between the layers. The bottom layer would be attached to the bottom edge of the oak frame with screws. The top laminated layer covered in oak veneer would rest on a bed of felt. The remaining layers will have the glue used as an elastic coupler between the boards. The plywood is added to the mix for strength to help avoid sagging.

The 3/8" coupling nuts are friction fit into the floating board sandwich by drilling 1/2" holes with a wood paddle bit and hammer in place. A nut is screwed on the 3/8" bolt(stage leveling feet) along with a washer and then inserted into the coupling nuts. The nut installed on the feet, once the platform is leveled, is tightened against the bottom layer to keep the floating layers from pushing up distorting the top veneered surface.

Cutting the felt to fit, cementing the oak veneer on the top hardboard, sanding, and a coat of polyurethane finished the isolation stage.

Did it make a difference?

I was shocked at the result! My intent was to get the amp off the floor in a somewhat acceptable fashion. I also was inspired by Karen(better half) to hide those ugly wires. The two where met for the most part....still working on the other ugly wires Roll Eyes But, sheezam! The sonic improvement was shocking! The sound stage is so much more solid! The instruments are locked in each individual space. No more floating wavering notes!

I just love when an "out of the blue" project succeeds with added benefits Grin

John

PicsArt_04-12-04_48_07.jpg

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Charoit's Isolation Stage
Reply #1 - 04/12/20 at 10:02:55

The bounty Smiley

PicsArt_04-12-04_43_45.jpg

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/12/20 at 10:04:26

Making a sandwich with all the fixins Wink

PicsArt_04-12-04_44_21.jpg

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/12/20 at 10:08:44

Installing the plinth posts Cheesy

PicsArt_04-12-04_45_15.jpg

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/12/20 at 10:09:57

Bed of felt Grin

PicsArt_04-12-04_46_04.jpg

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/06/20 at 19:12:09

I did another search through my collection of odds and ends and came up with enough stuff to finish the platform stage minus 1/4" plywood. Had to venture out and buy two 2'X4' sheets of plywood. I built 2 benches to support a turntable and CD recorder.

Cutting the legs out of clear white pine.

Setup to square leg ends.

Legs ready to install.

Gluing up the two benches.

The complete isolation stage!

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print