Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 17:12:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Tiny Bias Ply Retreads (Read 3647 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

My Tiny Bias Ply Retreads
04/12/20 at 02:34:08

So Steve can have his fancy dancy  Tiny Radials made up from exotic woods and using expensive drivers.

I'm just a simple guy, or as Joe Walsh puts it, Just a Ordinary Average Guy.

So I decided to build a pair of radial speakers with the crap I had laying around.

Introducing The 2020 Tiny Bias Ply Retreads!! (See that play on words there?)

They are MDF because that's what I had, The extra pieces that collect around when you build stuff, you know, the stuff you tell your wife that you would throw it out but the garbage can is full.

The Drivers are some sort of plastic framed 4" Dayton Audio $14.99 specials. They were ripped from my garbage can boombox project. The boombox they told me to turn down at last years DecFest because they could hear it inside over the stereo that was playing.

They are 14" tall 5.5" wide and 8" deep. The dimensions were carefully calculated with a proprietary super computer for perfect sound, or that was the sizes I had to work with, one or the other, I can't remember.

MDF was cut, plans were devised, mistakes were made, changing said plans, sometimes drastically. But morale was maintained and things were moving forward at a drastic pace.

I had to use items that I had at hand because I didn't want to go out into the wilds of Lowe's or Menard's. Both places are a jungle, full of crazy cabin fevered, Corona carrying, semi rabid people, just a half of a week away from sure death.

Anyway, things got done, some details aren't what I would normally be proud of, but times like these make average guys desperate.

Eventually, things started coming together and something resembling what I had envisioned appeared.

They now sit in a place of honor in my stereo room, one on a cardboard box, a fitting resting place for such a high end speaker.

How do they sound?
Passable, the image does float above them.
Currently they sound kind of hollow, perhaps needing some fiber fill stuffing. So I'm eyeballing up a pillow on the couch over in the downstairs family room that no one uses.
A ordinary average guy has to do desperate things in these desperate times.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: My Tiny Bias Ply Retreads
Reply #1 - 04/12/20 at 10:47:22

I see you got a plunger handy to clear the lens of congestion Grin.

What! no taper, hardwood, or TBs. Pillow stuffing...blasphemy!

Enjoyable....yes!

Thanks

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 04/12/20 at 16:32:52

The stolen pillow stuffing fixed things right up. The hollow sound went away.

And my wife hasn't even missed the pillow, yet. The secret is to only take one, that way she thinks that it must be misplaced.

I'm starting to wrap my mind around the radial sound. These sound a little better sitting on the floor instead of on the "stands" that I was using before. The sound from these seem to bloom upward and outward, somewhat like how a water fountain in a park looks.

There was a lack of room filling bass so I hooked my cardboard box sub woofer up. Now things are starting to sound a lot better.

It is fun to have a low effort project with a small amount of time and effort invested work out so well.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 04/12/20 at 21:14:58

One more side effect of these speakers has emerged.

They are inefficient enough that the buzz from my computer is inaudible. But it takes a lot to push them, they are probably only 88 Db or possibly less.

I had been running them off of my Torii but it took a lot of gain to reach a decent loudness. So Dan the Amp came to the rescue. Plenty of head room now.

Again, these sure are a lot of fun for something made from odds and ends laying around the garage.

The things that I will do to keep my mind occupied while the Zombies circle the ranch!

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/12/20 at 22:12:15

Pretty neat outcome for a project just made with items found on hand.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 04/16/20 at 22:54:27

Another chapter to this story.

I hooked up a little Dayton Bluetooth amp board that I had laying around up to these little speakers. It works pretty well when powered off of my Dewalt 20V drill batteries. 50 watts per channel is what they advertise them as, so I'm figuring 8 or 9.

Well as I am a essential but expendable worker, I am "blessed" to go to work every day to an almost empty cube farm. As you can imagine the silence is deafening.

I bet that you can figure out what my next move was. Yes I put the speakers and amp into a plastic tote and walked through the turnstiles with it at 5:30 this AM.

There are around 8 to 10 of us in a office that usually holds around 100 cube inmates, so we have been able to practice social distancing without much trouble. But today we bent the rules and spent the day swapping the amp and speakers around among different cubes.

As I am 10 to 15 years older than the rest of the folks working,  there became a large diversity of music listened to today. From my 70's to 80's blues and rock, to, for some inexpiable reason, pop movie tunes from the mid 80's. Think "Breakfast Club" and "Sixteen Candles".

Well, I had to go out to the shop to look at a problem that isn't going away without a seven figure capital expenditure and when I got back, lo and behold, there was our plant manager and my Boss's boss sitting in my cube listening to Twisted Sister performing "We're Not Going to Take it".

My first thought was " Well this is how my career is going to end", then I noticed that the Plant Manager was mouthing the words to the song.
Obviously she was a child of the 80's.

It turns out that they were enjoying my stupid cheap little stereo. In fact my Boss's boss asked me to sell the whole shooting match to him.

So now I'm looking for an $1275 instead of a $1200 DAC and I still have my drill batteries.

Talk about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

IP Logged
Rich Evans
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/20/20 at 13:15:32

What a great story.  Thanks for sharing a fun read and a really entertaining build.

SE84b/c Obsolete Decware spkrs and some DIY DNA horns.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print