03/28/24 at 15:16:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vinyl System Upgrade (Read 9276 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Vinyl System Upgrade
02/21/20 at 00:28:00

I have been planning to upgrade my vinyl playback chain this year, to cap off my system. Before I move forward with a new turntable & cartridge, I started looking for a tube phono preamp with MM & MC capability that was quiet, dynamic, and flexible.

About 3 years ago while attending the Capital Audio Fest I spent a lot time listening to a system which included Daedalus speakers, a VPI Signature Prime TT, and a Modwright Ambrose tube amp & pre. Included was the $7900 Modwright PH 150 phono preamp. Wow the sound was just glorious, but the way beyond my wallet capabilities.

Fast forward - last year Dan Wright, the man behind Modwright, came out with a less expensive tube phono preamp, the Modwright PH 9.0. A friend picked one up and I have been over for several listening sessions. It is a relatively compact MM & MC capable two-box design with on the fly MC loading & gain adjustments, a stereo/mono switch, and utilizes two 6C45 & two 6922 tubes. It's one of the quietest tube phono preamps I've heard, absolutely no hum & a black black background. Plenty of MC gain for my Dynavector 20X2 low output cartridge.

Anyway, I should have my new PH 9.0 in a couple weeks. More info to follow.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Vinyl System Upgrade
Reply #1 - 03/09/20 at 23:30:31

Modwright PH 9.0 phono preamp is up and running. Now for some tube & capacitor burn in.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 03/10/20 at 01:31:05

Awesome, HK. Please post your impressions after you’ve had a chance to evaluate. I’ve read good things about the PH 9.0.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/15/20 at 18:28:20

I'm very interested in hearing what you think about the PH 9.0?

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/15/20 at 21:11:05

Right now I don't have time for a full review. It's a keeper!

The PH 9.0 sounds very similar the Modwrights top of the line PH 150 Reference Phono. It's very, very quiet I hear absolutely no noise through my Decware ZROCK2, CSP3+ preamp and ZMA equipment powering the Caintuck Lil 15 speakers which are very sensitive. Tracking noise of the stylus/cartridge is virtually non existent on decently pressed vinyl.

Exceptional tonality and realism with the tube output of this two box unit. It's a very flexible phono which can accommodate a wide range of cartridges, MM, lo MC, mo MC & ho MC. It has a decent number of MC load options and gain settings which alavailable on the fly (clearly labeled adjustment dials & toggle switches on the front panel). I have heard a lot of very highend analog set ups with mega bucks phono preamps over the years. The 9.0 comes very close the very best sound for a reasonable cost IMHO.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/22/20 at 14:43:20

BTW,

I have a Triode Wire Labs (TWL) custom cable coming that connects the PH 9.0 phono chassis to the separate power supply. Pete's power cords are really good, so I thought I'd try the out to see there any improvements.

I'll report back after some time with the new cable.

HK

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/23/20 at 17:29:00

Nice, thanks so much for sharing! I love my my ZP3 but the PH 9.0 has grabbed my attention.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/23/20 at 18:25:28

I've heard the ZP3 at Decfest but have never lived with one. I like the versitility of and MC loading options on the PH 9.0. Both excellent performers.

HK

IP Logged
Joseph60Dyson
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/15/21 at 10:21:24

I really hope for you that everything will be fine! By the way, I believe that lots of people are fond of listening to music, especially through vinyl because it gets better sound. Nevertheless, as many things it's necessary to clean, so I want to tell you about this invaluable source https://theguruchoice.com/record-players/best-record-cleaner/ where you will definitely be able to find record cleaner that you might use in daily life for keeping your vinyl in tghe cleanest state. Therefore, click the link and make sure how practical this site is!

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/22/21 at 11:02:15

Well with the amazing SQ of my MWI modified CXN V2 DAC/streamer I decided to opt for Dan's brand new PH 9.0 phono preamp upgrade. Just got my unit back with new Lundahl transformers and XLR outputs.

The Lundahl transformers take 100 hours to settle in, so I'll be splitting listening time between streaming music and vinyl listening over the next few weeks. Too bad there is not more time in the day😁.

I'll report back on my listening impressions once everything is properly burned in.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/26/21 at 20:52:28

While my analog front end has difficulty keeping up with my vinyl these days, I decided some tube rolling was in order in my ModWright PH 9.0X phono pre. The pre uses two pair of tubes 6C45's and 6922's or equivalents.

Since the NOS '74 Reflector single-wire, silver shield 6N23P tubes sounded so glorious in my modded CXN V2, I thought I'd try a pair in the PH 9.0X. More to come when the tubes settle in.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/28/21 at 13:00:03

Crap. Lots of tube rush with this pair of 6N23P tubes, ugh. Back to my sterling Amperex 6922's from Andy at Vintage Tube Services. BTW Andy's tubes sound glorious and are rock solid.

HK

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 05/05/21 at 04:44:13

I would second that about Andy's service/products. Haven't talked to him in some time, but yes, the tubes he sells are the best of the pack.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/14/23 at 17:23:51

Hey HK, has everything burned/settled in? What are your thoughts and impressions of the PH 9.0? How would compare to ZP3?

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/14/23 at 18:13:51

Several changes to my phono preamp and vinyl set up. The PH9.0 was upgraded with new Lundahl transformers and tube rectification. It's now a MWI PH9.0 XT version. Sound quality is absolutely stunning. Amazing detail retrieval, holographic soundstage, and is quiet as a mouse.

I bent a cantilever on my Dynavector 20X2 low output cartridge. Instead of getting it repaired I called Dan @ Modwright for a new cartridge recommendation. On his advice, I purchasesd a Audio Technica AT-OC9XML installed it on my Rega B300 arm. Wow! Analog nirvana.

I haven't heard the Decware XP3 phono preamp except on Steve's set up during Decfest, so I really can't offer a comparison. The PH9.0 and variations so offer both MM and MC compatibility, so it's a bit more flexibility when it comes to cartridge selection.

HK

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/14/23 at 20:32:40

Thanks, HK. The XT version is what I'm considering. Appreciate your feedback.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
RonP
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 10/14/23 at 22:05:55

@HockessinKid

I have both the TWL power cable and the TWL umbilical cord between the two chassis. They both made a noticeable difference on the PH9.0.

Nottingham Ace Spacedeck TT w/Heavy Kit + AudioMods S6 + SoundSmith Paua mk II • Modwright PH9.0XT • Cambridge CXNv2 (ModWright) & CXC • Modwright LS99 • Decware TORII MK5 • PI Audio UberBUSS • TriodeWireLabs Power Cables • Clayton Shaw Caladans (Ordered)
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/14/23 at 23:44:28

Yup, I have the TWL umbilical and a ZenWave power cord. Dan just came out with a new Cardas wire umbilical which I may compare to the TWL. Also your choice of 6922 tubes (or comparables) matter. I'm using a pair of Wathen Audio Cryotone 6922's and a Cryotone 5AR4 rectifier.

HK

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 10/28/23 at 18:25:45

I'm pretty biased, but I bet a zenwave psr 14 umbilical would sound very good.

---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #19 - 11/04/23 at 15:22:34

I just updated my cartridge with a Hana SL Low Output, and purchased the Flickert set up rig. Still have some hours to go on the break in, but a very nice cartridge, IMHO. Matches well with the ZMC1 / ZP3. Happy weekend and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print