Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 14:21:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Music is playing again after a long hiatus. (Read 5136 times)
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Music is playing again after a long hiatus.
04/12/19 at 00:33:08

Its a far cry from the full blown tube/horn analog rig (9,000 hand picked and culled albums) I had for years but some great sounding music is playing again in my house. I took quite a long break after having to sell my audio gear but have recently started listening again and this budget setup is sounding really nice. I have about 4 terabytes of wav/flac files using MediaMonkey for playback running from my PC to a PeachTree Audio integrated amp/DAC then out to a pair of Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend MKII's with the ClarityCap MR Upgrade. The room is 24x20x8 and the speakers are currently 13ft from my listening position being 11ft apart and 4ft out from the front wall. Now if I can time things right I plan on trying to add a Decware preamp, amp, and different DAC in the future but for now things are sounding pretty darn good.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Re: Music is playing again after a long hiatus.
Reply #1 - 04/12/19 at 01:50:02

Way cool. Are the 9000 albums shelved on a wall? I wonder if you had some slid out a bit, it might diffuse the sound some. Probably wouldn’t look to good though.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/12/19 at 02:11:18

The records did a good job at doing that and spanned the entire rear wall. The albums were sold in a divorce. After putting out some possible sales I was contacted by a collector with an amazing collection and six figure system who I've known for years cut a cashiers check, sent a shipping crew out, boxed them up and shipped them all the way from California where I live to New York where they now reside. It was a mind boggling number he threw at me and it was a time in my life where I did what I thought I would NEVER do and sold the entire collection in one swoop. I bought my first LP when I was 7 years old and I'll be 49 in a few days. Life goes on. I had some of the most amazing and rare vinyl ever collected. Included with the over 9,000 LP's there were over 7,000 desirable 45's and super rare 78's also. C'est la vie!

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/12/19 at 02:50:02

I was in a similar situation and did not have a functioning system for close to 10 years. About a year ago I bought a Zu Omen Dirty Weekend II, a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC and a Decware SE84UFO amp. After spending about 9 months of relative joy listening to the system, I decided to go tube rolling as well as upgraded to the Clarity Caps in my speakers. I finally settled on the Sophia Electric 274B Aqua rectifier tube and Telefunken PCC88 (7dj8) driver tube. This is by far the best and most involving sound that I have ever experienced and at a fraction of the cost of my previous systems.

You likely have a wonderful adventure ahead especially if you add a Decware amp to drive your Zu's. It is exciting and sublime.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/12/19 at 04:02:49

Yes indeed Decware is definatly in my future. I have several pieces of Steve's work over the years and cannot wait to get some back in the mix.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/25/19 at 20:46:41

---------------NEW ADDITION TO THE SYSTEM-----------
Finally got my Otari MTR10-2 RtR in the mix for pure tape bliss. Currently listening to a Sarah Vaughan 15ips master quality tape recording. Hope the photo links work.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/05/19 at 22:36:23

Plinius preamp in the mix now feeding a pair of custom James Burgess monoblock tube amps (2x6550, 1x12SN7, 1x5751). Audio nirvana is getting closer again by the hour.

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged