Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 08:25:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Uneven volume output level (Read 6986 times)
bateo102
Verified Member

Uneven volume output level
03/07/19 at 20:09:40

The output level on my Rachel are not even.  I can confirm this with the dual volume controls.  The left knob has to be at 1 o’clock position while right knob is at 10 to have even sounds.  Is there anything wrong with my amp?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Uneven volume output level
Reply #1 - 03/07/19 at 21:02:15

Doesn't necessarily mean that your amp has anything wrong with it. Your input and/or output tubes could be "not matching."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bateo102
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/08/19 at 13:59:37

Thanks

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 03/09/19 at 02:30:29

Yes, with matching tubes the most the volume controls would differ is one hour.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
bateo102
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/09/19 at 03:38:38

Steve - These are stock tubes so I assume they were matched. I swapped the output tubes, then the input tubes, then the speakers and the imbalance stayed unchanged. When I swapped the speaker cables on the amp, the imbalance changed sides.  I think there’s nothing wrong with the tubes, speakers or cables.  I tried to use a sound meter app on my phone and it measured the difference between the channels at 12 o’clock is 10-15dB.  What should be the next step to troubleshoot?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 03/09/19 at 05:58:18

I think you answered you own question!

You swapped tubes left for right and no change.  Problem not the tubes.

You swapped speakers left for right and no change.  Problem not the speakers.

You swapped speaker cables left for right and problem went to the other side...  bingo.  Problem is the speaker cables, more specifically one of the speaker speaker cables.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
bateo102
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/09/19 at 06:10:54

No, I just swapped the speaker cable connections on the amp, ie left posts went to right speaker and right posts went to left speaker...then the problem went to the other side.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 03/10/19 at 04:01:19

OK, I see...

Since the tubes are not the problem or the speaker wires, it would have to be the amplifier.   Most likely scenario is an output tube that partially or fully shorted causing the screen to plate resistor to become partially fried.  This would result in reduced output and probably pretty poor sound as well.

It could also be a bad volume control, but that would have symptoms leading up to this result which you never mentioned.

Sometimes when an output tube shorts, we swap the tubes left for right to troubleshoot the amp and in so doing, begin to piss off the resistor in the other channel as well.

This resistor protects the amplifier from any serious damage. Alternately the same thing could be done with a replaceable fuse, as you will see in many amplifiers, but that would destroy the sound quality : (

This is just a hypothesis of course.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
bateo102
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 03/10/19 at 19:18:07

Thanks Steve for the explanation. I think you’re right about the reduced output and poor sound quality. I will replace to output tubes. If that still doesn’t help, should I send my Rachel back for diagnosis/repair?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 04/10/19 at 20:38:23

Yes, if you have replaced the output tubes with no luck, then send it in and we'll repair it.  Just print out a copy the RA form and fill it out so that you can include it with your amp when you ship.  Turn around is 10 business days.

Thanks,

Steve

RA FORM:  https://www.decware.com/newsite/service.html

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print