Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 23:16:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Next project DNA 2's or The HDT Single Driver (Read 5722 times)
Andy P
Verified Member

Next project DNA 2's or The HDT Single Driver
02/07/19 at 02:33:10

Hello, I built a set of the small DNA's and am really enjoying them. They sound so good I want to come back for a larger pair.  I understand that The HDT Single Driver speaker plans are available - though I could not find the plans on the site. If anyone can direct me to the link to the plans I would appreciate it.

The DNA2's, I understand, can be built by applying a factor to the DNA plans that I purchased on the site to build the first set.  Does anyone have any experience with this? Are any other modifications needed?  Are the plans for the DNA2'S available?

Lastly, can anyone shed some light on which version would be the better build?  I am planning on using the 8" driver that Steve offers. Amp wise, I will probably be getting into one of the Decware SET amps.

Right now I am using a PASS Class A amp camp amp which is about 8 watts per side.  I am driving with my laptop and an Apogee Duet. Sounds lovely. Very detailed, The sound is all over the room, unbelievable, maybe a little light on bass, but not a big deal for this style of listening.  The musicality of the speakers is really exceptional.  Can listen for hours.

Any thoughts or suggestions on these items would be greatly appreciated.  thanks - Andy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Next project DNA 2's or The HDT Single Driver
Reply #1 - 02/07/19 at 04:50:02

Andy,

We don't have plans published for the DNA2's as of yet, but have intensions on doing a DIY version in the near future that will accommodate a multitude of your favorite 8 inch drivers.  Meanwhile, you can scale the plans for the DNA up to accommodate an 8 inch driver.  You can use the dimensions of our current DNA2 speaker to determine if you got the multiplier correct or not.  The only change between the two models is that the DNA2 will use 3/4 inch material instead of 1/2 inch, and the port will be lengthened by 2 inches so that it with the thickness of the panel totals 2.75 inches in length.

It is a forgiving design sure to bring the best out of many 8 inch full-range drivers in use today.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/07/19 at 15:08:07

Thank you, Steve, for your response. I imagine I would use the speakers you offer on your site as I don't have any experience with other drivers.

Are the plans for the HDT's still available? It appears that the DNA's may be a simpler build.  Any thoughts on building one vs. the other.

Thanks again. Andy

IP Logged
Citadel
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/12/19 at 16:09:39

Hi Steve,
Is Tang Band W8-1772 suitable for the DNA2 dimensions?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 02/12/19 at 21:45:47

Andy,

i have built both the DNA and the HDT speakers. My experience actually finds the HDT speaker to be a bit simpler to build. One build advantage to the DNA speaker is that you can simply build the angles as you go by laying the speaker on it's side, and place the associated pieces like dominos, glueing and aligning them one at a time. Once that is done, spread the glue for the opposite side and clamp.... The HDT design really doesn't have any complexity to it from the table saw point of view, and building is pretty straightforward. Steve has designed a unique pressure chamber in the HDT design, and I appreciated that thought when building the cabinets. Sonically, I prefer the DNA, and really look forward to building the DNA2.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/12/19 at 23:17:41

4krow, Zygi has posted elsewhere a comment on the scaling factor. I think he said 1.4 and someone else had said 1.467 or similar. Zygi also commented that scaling from the outside dimensions would not be as accurate. Reach out to Zygi and he will respond, although probably not immediately. You will love the DNA2 when you build it. Steve uses same speaker complement as DM947s. Always love you pictorial documentation of the build! looking forward to it. Oh yeah, get the 25th Anniversary ZEN amp!!!!

IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/12/19 at 23:39:16

It would sure be interesting to hear a pair of FRX2’s in the DNA2.😳
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 02/12/19 at 23:40:26

LazB, You trust ME? to scale it up? Ha! Nobody has enough wood needed to make, cut... remake, cut, etc. I scare myself just looking at a number line. But seriously, This will likely be a project for early spring at best. Fortunately, I have other projects in the meantime.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Andy P
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/23/19 at 17:07:46

Thanks for the comments on the different speaker cabinets.  Expect I'll do the DNA2's.  I did not quite understand Steve's comment "and the port will be lengthened by 2 inches so that it with the thickness of the panel totals 2.75 inches in length." Can anyone this?

I am working up ordering one of the amps.  

Thanks.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 03/01/19 at 18:41:22

Sorry, wish I knew too. I need drawings to illustrate the comment. I would imagine that the port is positioned back because of the larger size of the cabinet by 2"" ???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print