Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 08:19:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Long time lurker needs advice (Read 2381 times)
Verified Member

Long time lurker needs advice
12/22/18 at 07:18:43

Long time lurker here. I posted a introduction some time ago, but I forgot my password and, well you know how that goes. So I reregistered and started a new profile.
I need some advice.
I've been wanting a reel to reel deck and space is limited. I've been looking at the Pioneer RT-707. It seems like a good deck, with lots of support and it would fit my needs. It is a really good looking machine to boot.
So on to my questions. Would I be better off buying one that is completely restored by a reputable shop, or taking a chance and getting a "working" one off of eBay or another auction site. It looks like decent ones on auction sites have sold for around $500, while restored ones go for about 1300 to 1500 bucks.
Also connecting it to my preamp? Can it go directly  into one of the input RCAs of the preamp. (Rogue RP1) or do I need a preamp stage for it. If so, could I use the phono pre in the Rogue for the deck since I am using a ZP3 and not the internal phono stage. That would save me the money on upgrading the ZP3.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays. John

VPI "Super" Prime Scout w/SS Aida ES; Decware ZP3 with Zstage; Marantz ND8006; Rogue Audio RP1; PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Power Amps w/KT150; Golden Ear Triton One; Klipsch R-110sw; Decware DSG & Audio Sensibility I/Cs; Morrow Audio SP5 S/C; PS Audio Quintet
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Re: Long time lurker needs advice
Reply #1 - 12/22/18 at 13:00:55

Welcome back 707.  

Seems your timing is impeccable.  Have you seen this one that just went up for sale in the classifieds here?  

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1544845072

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print