04/25/24 at 05:12:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo as main amp (Read 3427 times)
Lawson Kelley
Verified Member

Taboo as main amp
06/26/18 at 00:05:06

I know the Taboo is mainly a headphone amp, but does anyone have experience using one as a main system amp? I have Klipsch Hersey speakers so very efficient, around 96db. I'm looking for used equipment as the budget is quite small at the moment and one option is a used Taboo III.

I do have a pair of Audioquest Nighthawks that would probably sound quite nice with the Taboo, but not sure if it would be the right direction to go.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Taboo as main amp
Reply #1 - 06/26/18 at 00:13:26

Earlier this year I used the Taboo Mk IV as my main amp and I have used my Taboo Mk III as the amp in my second system.

I was using less efficient speakers than you have. The Taboo Mk IV gave me very very good sound with my HR-1 speakers. . . for my room and tastes I needed a ZROCK2. . . that was the icing on the cake. I am sure the Mk III would work really well in that situation as well, I was using it to drive Trapesium speakers which are much less efficient and it didn't do so as successfully. Both those amps sound better when you put gain in their inputs--using a ZTPRE and CSP2+ in my case really improved the sound.

Thinking about a Taboo as a power amp makes sense.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lawson Kelley
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/26/18 at 00:45:01

Thanks for the input. I have bought a used ZBOX that is on it's way over the waters now. I know it is not a pre amp, but do you think it would work well with a Taboo?

Lawson

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/26/18 at 01:19:05

Though it won't really add gain the ZBOX should help the sound of the source and work well with the Taboo.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print