Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:25:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mk4 with low impedance phones (Read 6194 times)
Jeff1

Mk4 with low impedance phones
06/25/18 at 01:56:36

Anyone using Audeze LCDXC that is 20ohm. I am seeing that headphone amps that are good for high ohms don't run lower lower ohm phones as well. So with a Taboo on order the headphone choice is the next step.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Mk4 with low impedance phones
Reply #1 - 06/25/18 at 02:02:04

I have Oppo PM-1 which are 32 ohm planar magnetic. The Taboo Mk III didn't quite drive them as well as the CSP2+ that I have, but drove them very well. The Taboo Mk IV made them sound even a little better. I would email Steve, but I think you may be just fine.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #2 - 06/25/18 at 05:34:07

You should really consider the ZMF line of headphones.  They are truly a match made in heaven with the Taboo headphone amplifier.  Their Ori is a planar magnetic and the Taboo drove them beautifully.  It was actually this amp and headphone combo that hooked me and led to many additional Decware purchases.  They now offer additional lines of headphones that are less difficult to drive, such as the biocellulose and TPE drivers.  There is a reason that Steve offers the ZMF line of phones on the Decware website.  This feature came long after I purchased my first Decware amp, the Taboo, to compliment the ZMF headphones I already owned.

My MKIII has two jacks, one for high impedance and one for low impedance.  I also had a pair of Ultrasone Signature Pro’s which were much easier to drive at 300ohms.  Both sets sounded great in their own right.  The MKIV did away with dual jacks but has a “Hi/Lo” switch to accomplish the same.  Its design allows it to drove both low and high impedance cans without consequence.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/25/18 at 11:52:33

The Taboo is also excellent with Audeze headphones and I think with the high and low switch on the Mk IV the XC model should be fine. I LOVE my LCD-2 and it works wonderfully with both my Taboo Mk III and Mk IV.

Jeff, I'd recommend sending Steve an email or give him a call--no one knows more about the Taboo and it's compatibility than he. And headfi.org may have some info in their forum.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #4 - 06/26/18 at 04:00:13

I'll most likely drop an email to Steve in the next few days. From what I am reading on forums and such the hi/low switch on the TM4 would do the trick. Audeze direct has a real nice price on the LCDXC if you don't want the case so it is a strong contender. I looked at the ZMF planar but it is a modified Fostex so I think their real focus is on the Dynamic side. I am sure once I sell off my ZMA and speakers I will have enough for a planar and dynamic set. Actually I am not overly worried about poor results with a good source and the TM4 I think any quality hphone will yield a pleasant experience. Lon I have been following your thread on the TM4 and that gives me confidence the amp is very versatile.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #5 - 07/02/18 at 00:54:27

Steve said hi/low gain will do the trick so Audeze phones ordered. Once I sell a few items the ZMF Auteur should give me a nice combo of planar and dynamic so everything I own will sound good on either one or the other. Based on Lon's impressions of the TMK4 I should have a sweet detailed set up.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 07/04/18 at 06:41:13

I just can't come up with the right words to describe how I feel about my ZMF Ori phones that I bought from Jeff. And I have had the opportunity to listen to them with my Rachael as well as a dedicated headphone amp that I currently use. There is no doubt that the ZMF phones deserve the best source and amp that you can muster. Again, words fail me to express my love of this new experience. I think that the wife is getting jealous.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #7 - 07/05/18 at 00:29:10

I do like the ZMF line up. I am going to order their silver cables and at some point a pair of their dynamic phones. I am betting a good pair of planar and dynamic should make everything I listen to sound great on one or the other. I did go with the Audeze first because I was able to listen to a pair of the LCD3 at a retailer. Its a new path for me so I can take my time while I travel on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print