Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 14:41:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tascam DA-3000 Question... (Read 4782 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Tascam DA-3000 Question...
06/23/18 at 16:36:41

Hello: I use a Tascam DA-3000 Master Recorder to make HI FI field recordings of orchestral ensembles, string quartets, and other acoustic music...

[see photo]

But I've never thought of it as a component of my HI FI system...

I've never tried to play it as a component through my home system at all... I use it mainly for DSD master recordings, because it is the only digital recorder / source I have that sounds like analogue tape...

And herein lies the issue:  I think I've seen a few entries on here that describes its use for home Hi Fidelity use... So I guess I'm putting it out there to hear from others on here who use it this way...

As in, what do you use it specifically for?... As just an AD / DA converter?... A stand-alone component?... And if so, what is your program material?... ???...

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info you might put in  on the subject...

Regards, Mark.

S5000003_001.jpg

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Tascam DA-3000 Question...
Reply #1 - 06/24/18 at 00:46:17

It works really well as a SPDIF connected DAC.  If you connect the XLR outputs to a ZBIT it jumps up a level in sound quality.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/18 at 01:25:26

Y'know... I'm going to hook this thing up to my new Zen UFO when I get it... I bet that would sound great!... Live raw recordings right into my living space!...

I already have a Tascam-based CD player (Decware)…

Also, thanks for the tip, Steve... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 06/24/18 at 14:22:06

"because it is the only digital recorder / source I have that sounds like analogue tape..."
Yes. Amen to that Mark. Nice to read your opinion on this fact.

I'm an old school Dino....use SPDIF from Transport to the awesome dual mono Burr Brown's in her to Steve's built in fixed output stage (ZBIT of sorts). I also feather the input and output...something NOT available in other DAC's....to very good effect.

Love this DAC!

I obviously run Redbook only and at 16/192.
I do make some Redbook recordings to SD cards.
Some Vinyl to DSD on SD.

Received my latest Sweetwater catalog and she is still getting the accolades as a Recorder & DAC. 4 yrs + running.... .

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/24/18 at 16:57:09

This is good to know, Stone... I'm near 70, and an old analogue guy... I know what I'm hearing...

Steve did mention the ZBIT... I could have used one of those so many times it hurts to think about it... I'm wondering if it works in both directions... ???...

Anyway, waiting for my new ZEN UFO... I'm a very minimalist guy, audio-wise... (m.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/24/18 at 17:50:02

Mark, the ZBIT only works (wonderfully) in one direction, transforming XLR to RCA preserving all voltage.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/25/18 at 00:04:28

OK, Lon... Good to know... Still sounds like a great item to have...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/25/18 at 01:09:28

Oh it is. In my case being able to use the balanced output of my DAC really improved things more than I could imagine.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print