Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

The death of the CD?
06/18/18 at 20:34:46

IP Logged
Jeff1

Re: The death of the CD?
Reply #1 - 06/18/18 at 22:44:22

I can see the thinking there if you go buy the hard sales numbers. I can agree that today especially younger people tend not to want or be able to afford owning things older generations do or did. The article only pertains to the listener. I would ask what about the artists. Sure with today's technology it is easy to have a home studio and put out music and become known. Does that provide the artist with a means to earn money like in the past? Will you play a stadium concert because your youtube following has hit 10,000? I doubt it. You can't own streaming. So it may be easier to become known but easier to be forgotten as well.

Does buying a hard format such as vinyl or cd constitute an investment? Do the music artists and acts or yesterday have the ability to draw a crowd today because they sold albums and cds. Will that be the case with the new artists of today? I don't believe so.

I will say in a way that I do agree there is a slow dying of hard formats even though with a vinyl resurgence but at 30 bucks a record how long will that endure. Can the same also be said for longevity of artists who would hope to have a long and prosperous career. No investment could indicate a why care when you can just stream the next hot thing.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/19/18 at 01:18:36

I scanned the article.  I've never been a download or stream type of person.  I like owning the hard copy and getting very familiar with my collection over time.  I also always think of music in terms of albums and not songs.  The fact that I do 99%+ vinyl is incidental.  I think my way of doing things is more of a generational thing.  I have a hard time believing that the resurgence of vinyl is sustainable.  As people like me die off I don't see replacements coming along from the subsequent generations.  At least in the business sustaining numbers required to keep vinyl or CDs alive.

But I hope I'm wrong.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 06/20/18 at 05:37:50

Great article, and I say wonderful!!!  I've always hated CD's and in the 1981 to today experience of it, I've learned the digital format for recording and mastering works, and is not a problem.  The consumer playback mechanism - crude plastic disk that degenerates over time with cheap transport = jitter so while casually the sound was clean and convenient, for the audiophile it was like someone pissed in the cool-aid and no one could figure out who did it.

When it takes 30 grand to make a transport and dac good enough to remove these handicaps the price itself becomes a handicap... I mean when a $1500.00 vinyl rig can blow the snot off a $8000.00 CD player you have to wonder how successful was it.  Successful to who?

Interestingly enough the format could have been easily replaced by memory cards which would eliminate the transport and subsequent jitter almost entirely if not entirely.  Cost to manufacture = same.  Problem is, medium too small.  Not enough room to print on.  

While streaming is great you never own the music.  There is no tangible connection.  If your power goes out or the internet goes down in that greatest time of stress where some music would be most appreciated there will be none.

I always hoped that the format would move to SD cards with DSD quality recordings of each track.  No more 16/44, everything 24/192 or higher, it makes a big difference and eliminating the transport makes about a 20,000.00 difference in sound quality potential because all jitter can be eliminated.

Then for the holy grail my fantasy was to be able to purchase the same album on the same SD card in the same DSD resolution but with all 24 tracks.  This way the tracks can be fed into a mixer that you own, and mixed to your perfection in your room for your speakers and taste. That would be worth the 275.00 that a single reel of master tape can bring, because once you have it mixed for your own liking it will sound like 275.00 was a real bargain.

This would be a natural progression if the focus was about sound quality.  The focus is about marketing.  It's so unfair to both the musicians and the listeners... and the manufactures of fine audio gear who get to hear so many disappointing CDs make their gear sound like junk.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/20/18 at 11:25:45

For me above and beyond sound quality is material. I'm in it for the music, the enjoyment and study of the music. The compact disc explosion of material was a wonder of the ages to me. So many LPs that I only read about and could never find suddenly appearing in a store and then online. . . . I still can't find the depth of music to get a hold of on LP or downloads that I can on compact disc. So I have built a system around that format that sounds fantastic thanks to PS Audio and Decware. And I have a huge collection of discs. If they never made another I'm good. And yet Japan and Europe are still coming out with new discs for me to buy. I don't foresee myself having a problem related to compact discs in my lifetime. And I don't foresee anything beyond that. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/20/18 at 15:07:03

I have ripped all of my +2,000 CD's onto a hard drive into FLAC files using dbPoweramp software.  These are also backed-up on a WD portable hard drive, just in case.  I prefer listening to the ripped files, as opposed to direct CD play.

I still keep my CD collection and will occasionally listen to one of the shiny plastic discs.  

These days most of my listening is TIDAL streaming and ripped files thanks to Steve's ZDAC2 and Loney Raven's music personal computer, as well as vinyl playback.

I will be fortunate to beta test a new production Modwright PH 9.0 Tube Phono Stage, MM/MC 48dB/68dB sometime this summer thanks to Dan Wright.  I am looking forward to comparing it with my Dynavector P75MKII phono preamp. Here is a link to additional information.  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156920.0

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print