Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:04:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Conditioning and/or Voltage Regulation (Read 8929 times)
MCohn
Verified Member

Power Conditioning and/or Voltage Regulation
04/17/18 at 19:32:45

Hey everyone,

I'm dealing with some power issues and I was hoping to get some advice. I've been mulling over getting a power conditioner--or an isolation transformer as Steve recommended in another forum conversation--but haven't pulled the trigger on one for a variety of reasons. Now I'm feeling a sense of urgency...

I live in an old building in Manhattan, and so the wiring is ancient and the power isn't great. But recently I've begun to suspect that I might also need a voltage regulator in addition to a power conditioner, because there have been some weird voltage drops lately. (In the form of lights flickering throughout the apartment--fortunately my amps were off.)

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? I've done a little research and the Torus TOT AVR got great reviews, but boy howdy is it expensive--I'd rather spend that kind of money on a new cartridge or a better preamp.

My system as it stands now is a VPI Classic Signature --> Decware ZP3 --> Audeze Deckard --> Decware Torii Jr. --> Devore Fidelity Super 8s.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Power Conditioning and/or Voltage Regulation
Reply #1 - 04/17/18 at 20:36:28

Ok, first off, it sounds like you're on the right track with your thinking. Some of us could probably talk for hours (or write for pages) on the subject, but since I have a few minutes before I head out for a 3 hour drive,  I'll try to keep this brief.

Isolation transformers are great because they provide a physical gap between the power and your gear. Hospitals use them, labs use them, I have a few myself. But it doesn't help with voltage variance, it just passes them along.

Line conditioning just tries to filter out the nasties, and has it's place.

But proper regulation or (re)generation is where it's at, IMHO. But as you see it's expensive. I kept running into this myself, and finally bit the bullet and bought a PS Audio P-10 power plant. Basically it takes the power coming in, and using an amplifier, re-creates that power with a pretty close to perfect sine wave. And though I didn't pay full price for it, I sure paid for it!

Now, you can try and work around this with budget options, say, a computer power conditioner/voltage regulator in one for $500-$800, but they aren't design for audio, and while they do their job well, they could be putting all sorts of noise down the line and into your system. Which would necessitate the need for further filtering, adding another few hundred to thousand to your total...getting you close to the price of that Tot, or a used PS Audio P-5 or the like.

I guess what I'm saying is, you can try and find a cheaper way around your issues, and some might help, but it's going to be a lot of guess and test and hope for the best. Or you can pony up and get what you need and start with a good foundation.

I'm sure others will chime in with some ideas as well.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/17/18 at 20:44:11

My humble opinion, buy the largest size PS Audio Power Plant that you can. They come up used some and, since PS Audio runs great "trade in" to upgrade programs, they will often have used ones for sale at very good prices. NO< I am NOT affiliated with PS Audio in any way other than as a long time satisfied user of their products.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/17/18 at 20:56:19

I have to agree with Eric and Joe: get a regenerator. With your system a PS Audio Power Plant Premier would be a good one to use. . . there is a nice used one (they are no longer made) for sale at the moment on the PS Audio Forums. . . .

I had problems with the Tripplite isolation transformers and moved to a Power Plant Premier . . . and then to a P5 and now have a P10. Fantastic products.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/17/18 at 21:33:48

In my setup, less about noise, the voltage was the bigger issue sound quality-wise. It varied as much as several volts at different times, but was almost always higher than 120 here. And relatively consistant wherever it happened to be for a period of hours, I heard it. With my Torii MKIV, once recognized, it is quite noticeable, a denser/thicker, darker sound when the voltage is higher, and leaner, more open/cleaner sound when it is lower. So, for fine tuning the system in any way, I had a moving baseline, usually between 121 and 124v.

For this reason, I changed from my PI Audio Uber conditioner to a demo PS Audio P5 regenerator, the regen doing it all.... protect, filter and stabilize voltage. I can't say I recommend it unequivocally, as for me, I had to do a fair bit of work to get it as transparent as I prefer, building a special, very quiet and transparent power cord for it the biggest improvement. Once there, I like it pretty well, and am very glad to have the voltage regulation.

Also, the many settings the P5 offers for tuning to tastes are really useful... voltage, phase, and mode (low distortion or high regulation) most important for my preferences.

And unlike me, many like the P5 out of the box, though many others upgraded to the P10 for better sound. Don't know about the P3 sound. I did not look into it because, if I recall correctly, it only filters the high current outlet without regeneration/voltage regulation there.

If you have a digital multimeter you can measure voltage at an audio outlet periodically to see, and if it moves around, see if voltage is a sound issue for you.

With my P5, I typically like it best set at 118v, giving big enough, but more open and natural sound for me.

My P5 typically says I am using only around 170 watts with my Torii, CSP3, and a few incidental small items. It is rated for up to 1000 watts continuous output. I filter my front end separately with a little more transparent setup.

Since I got the P5, on occasion I have noticed some talk about smaller, less costly regenerators that I suppose may be enough depending on the system. I can't recall the company, but may be worth a little research if interested.

And if voltage variation is not a sound issue, it would seem a nice conditioner with surge protection could be a good option. Many folks claim good conditioners sound better than a regenerator. But as said previously, a used regenerator could be a good and relatively reasonable solution to your funky building power. There is a nice comfort in knowing all bases are covered no matter where we move our systems.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/18/18 at 07:38:26

Just throwing this out there ... there is a new (re)generator that has come out and being imported by Essence Electrostatic.  It looks to be an interesting design and much less expensive than any of PS Audio's offerings (I don't know where it's made though).

Some quick specs I copied from their website:

1000 VA Output / 900 Watts (you can get a more powerful unit up to 1350 Watts)
Pure Sine-Wave 120v@60 Hz Output x 8
Surge and Sag Protection
Spike / Transient Protection
Blackout Protection
5x Lower Distortion than the AC Line
6-speed Whisper Cooling Fan
100% Regenerated Sine-Wave Voltage, on site.
Smart LCD Status Display
Control Over the Web or Network
Battery Back-up with Zero Transfer Time
5 to 1 Crest Factor
3 Year Warranty; $50K Load Protection Policy included

$949.95 for the entry level unit and $1249.95 for the TOTL one.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 04/18/18 at 17:35:50

Wow, that one sounds like a hell of a deal if it does what it says!

I'd love to put it up against my P10 and see what I see.

Also, at Axpona, I saw the new P12, P15, and P20 models. They looked nice, and BIG!

Of course, I didn't ask about price.  :P

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/18 at 17:42:19

I am on board with what Lon/Will/Raven said.  In fact, I bought Lon's P5 and am using Will's P5 settings.  And I bought a power regenerator within weeks after Raven brought his P10 over to my house and hooked up my system to it.  

I have a Power Plant Premiere and/or a P300 that I am not using that I would be willing to let go of for a good price.  PM if interested.

Oh, and I also have an isolation transformer I would sell.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/18/18 at 17:48:23

Nice offers on known things Palomino.

And nice find Beowolf. I wonder how to find a track record...maybe built for servers? The guy selling it seems to have spent a lot of time in audio. On the blog part of the Essence site he talks about having been a proponent of PS Audio regenerators in the past. Does not appear to have adjustments, but great price if it sounds and works well, and with battery backup.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 04/18/18 at 22:33:08

I thought the balanced power of the PPP sounded better than the P5 in certain situations. I think Palomino disagrees with me and prefers the P5, but it was one of those occasions where I was like WOW that sounds good.
So it left an impression on me.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 04/19/18 at 01:13:46

Actually when I read what you wrote about the PPP an alarm bell went off in my noggin as I did not think the PPP was a "balanced power" regenerator. Did some research and found this:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/audio-accessory/power-conditioner/ps-audio-p...
ower-plant-premier-power-regenerator/

Paul says that unlike the regenerators that preceded it the PPP does not produce balanced power.

It's interesting that of the PPP, P5 and P10 that I have had the PPP had the most prominent "signature" with its output power. I like that signature and I still have mine in use in my second system. But it is very noticeable, which I perceive as a thickening to the sound that some components thrive on.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 04/19/18 at 21:36:13

I think Palomino has the one before the PPP as well, so maybe that's the one I was thinking of.

Good catch, Lon!

Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #12 - 06/26/18 at 12:27:44

Guys, I’ve never owned a power conditioner and appreciate all the great info and tips.  I went on the Essence website to look at what Beowulf talked about. Here is one that I can afford:

http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/p80av-800-pure-sine-wave-line-intera...

Thoughts on this please.  Thanks, Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/26/18 at 14:12:07

I am not a technical guy but will tell you that I've been very pleased with two power conditioners I have from Running Springs Audio... a Jaco bought used for about $1400 and a Haley bought new for about $1500...I can't remember exactly. They have a whole line with at least one cheaper than the Haley which is 6 outlets...the Jaco is 8.  Do some research into them, they have a long history before audio products.  They come up used occasionally on the usual sites...ebay, audiogon and usaudiomart.  Mark.

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/we-revisit-the-new-haley-and-jaco-from-ru...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print