Recommended music (Read 15395 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Recommended music
05/12/17 at 23:49:06

I finally had a few minutes to sit down and start to rework the "Recommended Music" page(s) of my website ..... long overdue.

The first page includes some very enjoyable CDs ..... several that were shared with me by music lovers who purchased my Betsy baffles.

These CDs should sound very good on any high quality audio system.

The page can be found here.

More to come as time allows .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Recommended music
Reply #1 - 05/13/17 at 01:53:05

I got that Jacintha title. Very nice.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #2 - 05/13/17 at 03:07:10

Hi RR,

Yep ..... that CD is one of my favorites .....
If you don't already have it, check out the Chantal Chamberland - "Dripping Indigo" CD.
Similar music and very well recorded.
I first heard it at a Decware Zen Fest a couple of years ago.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/15/17 at 16:53:02

I'd recommend giving David Smith a listen if you like instrumental Jazz. He was a regular on this forum yeas ago. He has three CD's out. I have them all and love them. The recordings were made like a true audiophile would do.

Here's his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/davesmithtrumpet?fref=ts

Dave

The only thing that sounds prettier than a banjo is the sound of a cat getting a shampoo in a flushing toilet.
WWW   IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/17/17 at 05:34:30

Off Topic, but how that lacewood model has not been snatched up is beyond me? They are beautiful.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #5 - 05/17/17 at 16:11:04

Hi Donovan,

I'm amazed as well .....

I sold one pair of them when I had the storefront open, but none via the internet. The lacewood veneer truly has a unique appearance.
It is the most "3D" wood I have ever seen.
It looks like some of the components of the wood are below the surface and some seem to project above the surface ..... even though the surface is totally flat.

Despite the very high quality photograph on my website, the effect just doesn't show up in the pic.
The baffles have a cherry veneer edging which matches the hue of the lacewood very well.

The best photo of the speaker can be seen here.

Maybe some day they will find a new home .....

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/17 at 20:13:32

Randy,

Those Lacewood baffles were one of my favorite ones on your site. I actually thought about trying to find some veneer like that and veneer my baffles with them. Then I'd first Tung Oil them, and when dried and buffed, I'd spray several coats of shellac on them and buff to a high gloss. That would really enhance the 3-D effect.

Dave Smiley

The only thing that sounds prettier than a banjo is the sound of a cat getting a shampoo in a flushing toilet.
WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #7 - 05/22/17 at 00:04:46

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what the cost would be for lacewood veneer, but the grade A-1 3/4" plywood is 300.00 for a 4' x 8' sheet .....

There is still an empty space in my wallet where that money used to be ...

Your plan sounds like a good one though ..... on all of my "exotic" plywoods and the Sapele hardwood, I use the Tried & True linseed oil / beeswax finish which I like a lot. It's not high gloss but has a nice warm appearance.

By all means, if you are able to carry out your plan ..... please post some photos.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/22/17 at 13:07:10

randy thks for the chantal chamberland recommendation!  she's like a refined patsy cline on serendipity street.  also got dripping indigo too.

listened to them all weekend.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 05/28/17 at 19:08:46

I hadn't heard of Chantal Chamberland before, so I hopped to you tube to take a listen. What an effortless voice! This isn't the music I usually listen to, but now and then I check it out. Kind of reminds me a bit of Nora Jones, a bit of Patsy Cline, and a tiny bit of Rhiannon Giddens when doing solo gigs of this venue. I don't know many others of this genre, so will have to start searching out you tube to learn more.
I'm open for more more name dropping (hint, hint).

Dave Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/28/17 at 19:14:19

Randy,

If those lacewood bafflesd don't sell soon and they get to be an eyesore, not to mention a constant reminer of the hole in your pocket, may I suggest a place to send them to where they will be rightfully treated...  [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Dave Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/03/17 at 13:46:18

lets see.... what are we going to pick from randys list today?

think i am going to try the shelby lynne just a little lovin' via hd 192/24.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/03/17 at 14:19:27

yeah that's a good one!  tried it out on my main 2ch.  don't have my player working yet on my betsy setup.  maybe this weekend.  need to run some ethernet over there.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #13 - 06/04/17 at 14:16:18

Hi Trip,

As I mention on the web page, most of these CDs are not "sonic spectaculars" that you hear at audio shows which are intended to make the listener go "WOW" .....

Most are just really good music recorded well enough to sit and enjoy ..... which is what this hobby is about for me.

Although ..... I must admit that listening to several of these CDs, I occasionally find myself saying "WOW" .....

Hopefully, I will be adding a few more pages in the near future as time allows. There are quite a few additional CDs in my stash that are worthy of inclusion in this group.

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/07/17 at 17:11:05

agree.

i think of the 5 or 6 that i've heard so far, all are solid from a performance and sonic perspective.

and sound great on betsys and maggies!

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 06/12/17 at 00:38:14

Quote:
i think of the 5 or 6 that i've heard so far, all are solid from a performance and sonic perspective.

and sound great on betsys and maggies!
Tripwr1964,
Sometime when you are bored, could you message me with a short description of the difference of how the Maggie's and Betsy's sounds? Years back I had a good friend that had Maggies and spent some time listening to them. I have fond memories of them, but too many years have passed for me to do a memory comparison.

Dave

WWW   IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/12/17 at 17:34:17

sent you a pm...

in general deltas:
1) betsys cost less (i've got about $2000 in my maggies)
2) betsys lean more toward the med bright side, while the maggies med dark side.  betsys are more detailed and articulate.
3) maggies like power and lots of it.  class a  ss or tube's sound great.  betsys sound great with all amps i've tried.
4) maggies are more sensitive to placement
5) maggies require tweaks to be truely great sounding (xo and stands)
6) They both image great, but maggies are notch better (in my room).

i love them both, just depends what i am in the mood for.  if cost was a factor, i'd have no problem living with the betsys full time!

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 06/12/17 at 22:21:48

Thanks!

Dave

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print