Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 09:00:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZKIT1 Rebuild Questions (Read 4313 times)
BRN
Verified Member

ZKIT1 Rebuild Questions
04/14/17 at 13:57:20

I have a ZKIT1 that I built a couple of years ago that I have been using in my office. I had a mishap with coffee and the board now has a short. I want to rebuild the amp, but this time do it point to point. I have a couple of questions about the build before I begin.

The output transformers have a white/blue wire on the primary for the screen and on the PCB it is connected. Do that wire actually get connected to anything? If so how is it connected?

The newer power transformer does not have a center tap, so does each leg of the 6.3v use a 100 ohm resistor connected to ground?

The last question, is there a 0.1uF cap connected between pin 6 and 3 on the power tubes?

Thanks for the help.
Brad

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Re: ZKIT1 Rebuild Questions
Reply #1 - 04/14/17 at 14:50:00

I'll use my experience building the p-t-p version to try and answer your questions. I do not have a ZKIT board but have used the picture online a few times to trace connection paths.

I did not use the white/blue wire from the output transformers. Just covered the ends in heat-shrink tubing for safety.

For the power transformer, are you going to continue with SS rectification or tube rectification?

I did place the 0.1uF caps between pins 6 and 3 on the power tubes. I believe this is called the Hazen Grid mod.

IP Logged
BRN
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/17 at 15:04:05

Core32,

Thank you for the information.

SInce I already have the paower transformer I do plan to use solidstate rectification.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/14/17 at 18:00:27

I need to say I do not know about the false center tap for the heater circuits but that sounds similar to what I have read before.

Good luck with the build!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print