Sonist Concerto 4 (Read 12249 times)
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Sonist Concerto 4
03/19/17 at 17:49:56

Anyone have any knowledge of this speaker.
I am thinking of trying a pair.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Re: Sonist Concerto 4
Reply #1 - 03/20/17 at 06:22:42

They intrigued me for a while, except I wasn't open to the price.  I believe Steve Hoffman wrote up a review of them over in his forum.  If I recall, he was very impressed!

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #2 - 03/20/17 at 14:52:56

Yes I am looking at a used pair for less than half.
At that price I am interested.

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #3 - 03/22/17 at 19:50:00

Well I talked with Jonny at Sonist Audio and he had a new pair with a small scratch for a much reduced price, 30 day free trial, long story short they will be here Friday.

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #4 - 03/22/17 at 20:24:48

Nice SS!!!

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 03/22/17 at 21:51:03

Nice! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #6 - 03/26/17 at 20:26:18

Received the Concerto 4's Friday evening and have only had time for a few hours of listening but I will give my initial impressions.
The speakers are very well balanced, the sound is very detailed and smooth, with very tight bass and a mid-range which is just fantastic. They have a huge sweet spot, I can move all around in my listening position and I don't hear much change.
So far I am "very pleased" and I will update after a week or so but I would definitely recommend these.  They sound excellent with my TORII JR and ZP3, ZROCK set-up.
If anyone has an interest there is a used pair on CL.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/6038273446.html

I spoke to this Gentleman and I was going to buy these but I managed to get a new pair for a great price with a little scratch, which is not even visible unless you know it is there and look very hard for it, even then it is nothing.
More to follow...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/26/17 at 22:17:02

Those are gorgeous.  I have too many speakers as it is but will read reviews.  I started with Steve Hoffman's ...on page two so far.  I cheated and went to the end.  Although he sounds like he loved them, after his 1 year loan, he returned them...mmm.  Stereophile has a review too.  These look like they'd be great with my 2 WPC monoblocks but the zu audio "Souls" do fine there.

In addition to the pair you gave a link for, there is a pair of b stock of the next model down with one driver for less than half price...very tempting...$2100.  

Keep us informed.  I don't think anyone has commented on speakers from this company before. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/26/17 at 23:05:46

mark58 wrote on 03/26/17 at 22:17:02:
I started with Steve Hoffman's ...on page two so far.  I cheated and went to the end.  Although he sounds like he loved them, after his 1 year loan, he returned them...mmm.

Hoffman seems to get a lot of equipment on loan and when the manufacturer calls for them back, he gets another manufacture's on loan to replace them. I wouldn't read much into his not buying them. . . I don't think he buys much just keeps getting free equipment or getting equipment on "loan." Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #9 - 03/26/17 at 23:52:59

I agree Lon.
I am listening to George Benson right now and it sounds absolutely beautiful.
I think that the sensitivity rating of 97db must be pretty accurate because I haven't turned these up much past a quarter to a third and they are very full sounding and plenty loud, as loud as I ever would normally want to listen.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/26/17 at 23:55:01

Lon, he really seemed to like them.  It sounded like he wanted to try more efficient speakers since he had some low powered tube amps he couldn't use otherwise.  Sounds like his main system is SS with inefficient speakers.  I had to leave the Cave...had a good Vinyl Therapy Session though. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 03/27/17 at 02:07:31

Okay. Glad you had a nice vinyl session! I'll spin some vinyl tomorrow. I'm back to running the ZP3 straight into the Torii Mk III now, sounds better that way to me.

Right now, on headphones via the Taboo Mk III:

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #12 - 03/28/17 at 19:09:29

Love these speakers!
So far everything I have played sounds outstanding.
One thing I especially like is how I can now listen at lower volumes with a very full sound and have no desire to turn it up, previously I would sit down and start listening and once my ears adjusted I would turn it up to try to get a fuller sound.
Very balanced and detailed with a full rich sound.

20170328_111602_resized.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print