Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 05:11:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Rachael is still Green.... (Read 15970 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

New Rachael is still Green....
12/25/16 at 23:30:51

Okay, I received delivery of a new Rachael.  I got it without tubes because I've got a few.  I loaded it with matched EL34-WC, matched 6N1p, and an Art 274b.  

So, far, it has been on for about 12-15 hours or so.

And, so far, I'm not thrilled.

To be frank, it sounds like my Van Alstine.  Seriously.  Don't get me wrong.  I like the Van Alstine.  I just don't want another amp with the same sound.

Am I a judging it too early.  Do, I need 100 hours before I can see what is going on?

The amp has a switch to go between 4 and 8 ohm.  I'm not sure which is which but I know in one direction it is extremely bright and it hurts the ears.  In the other position is sounds alot better, warmer.

Anyway, any advice?  Is there a better tube compliment I should use?

IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: New Rachael is still Green....
Reply #1 - 12/26/16 at 00:41:46

Burn it in more, don't make any conclusions this early, IMO

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #2 - 12/26/16 at 18:01:02

Definitely give it some time 50 to 100 hours. Even after 20 to 30 hours it should start to sound different.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/26/16 at 18:50:14

This burning in thing is brutal.

When I got my blue Torii over a decade ago it had a good sound from the start.

I was bummed last night when the car stereo had a better sound than the Rachael.

I'm at about 20 hours.

Patience is a virtue, right?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 12/27/16 at 21:14:13

Match - In my experience with our Rachael, I didn't really get much of a feeling until it had about 50 hours on it, and then it was more positive than not. Just play a boat load of music and don't worry until you are past the 100 hour mark. Keep us posted, and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/28/16 at 16:00:21

I'm at about 30 hours, maybe more, so far.
Right now it sits in another room and I have the CDP in repeat mode and the music plays continuously.
I have not wanted to listen to it, yet.
I'll probably put in about 20 more hours by New Year's day.
I'll give it a critical listen then.
One thing though is I'm using the analog outs from the CDP into the amp and not outs for a DAC which I think may help the sound.  I'm using Audioquest cables on this setup.
So, it's all cookin' at the moment.

I'll keep you posted.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/03/17 at 01:31:40

I'm at about 50 hours or so.
I changed the 6N1P tubes to 6922 which I think helped with the bright end.  I also changed the EL34s to JJ E34Ls.

The bright end seems to have subsided which is a turn for the better at this point.  I was in the listening room, folding laundry, and I found myself dancing to the music which to me is a good sign.

Ok, get this.
I'm still not there with what I expect from the amp.  My neighbor dropped in and I had him listen to the setup.  I put on a Robin Trower CD, Another Days Blues, and my neighbor fell of his seat.  He said, damn, that sounds amazing.  Which makes me think I've become jaded to the sound of a Decware amp.  Is that possible?  Do I expect too much?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 01/07/17 at 16:06:09

Match - Nope I wouldn't say jaded, just adjusted to the sound. Three years ago my new neighbor thought his Bose speakers feeding off of you tube was bitchen…He had listened to my old system and understood there was better out there but as he watched me build up the Decware/Omega system he totally got the new, big picture. Now he texts me on Friday afternoon to ask ''Hey, are going to listen to some records tonight or this weekend''? As your amp gets more hours on it (as mine did) I just find myself sitting there listening and grinning, tapping my feet. I spend last Monday (holiday) cleaning every contact point in the system and that is now on my iCal to do every four months. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/08/17 at 16:14:34

So, Rachael is over 60 hours and heading towards 70.

This morning I turned it on and I had to turn down the volume.  It just dawned on me that it was now too, too loud.  Hmmm, that's a good sign, right?

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/11/17 at 13:43:26

I'm over the 70 hour mark now.  Last night I put on a CD with Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa.  I heard some nice things and for the first time I actually had a wow moment which I think is a sign that the amp is about to break into new territory.  What a relief!?

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/25/17 at 14:30:12

I'm way over 100 hours.
Yesterday, I was in the room with Rachael and I popped in The Police, Synchronicity.  And, boom, it was big and wide.  I didn't notice that before.  So, I popped in some of my other CDs.  Great sound.  The loudspeakers finally disappeared.  You couldn't tell where the sound came from.  Alas, I think I've arrived.

The 8 ohm switch had a very trebly effect for a long time but it has dissipated.  

Finally.

I still believe there are issues with the room but even so, the sound has arrived.  I'm so relieved.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 01/25/17 at 14:51:50

Great news!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/25/17 at 20:10:08

Patience is a virtue and I have none.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 02/01/17 at 09:47:10

I had my Rachel upgraded a year ago with new trannys, and had the bias upgrade as well. At first, I was absolutely stunned at the result. Now to be clear, I listen waaaay less than most people and not for long periods of time when I do. So, in a years time, there have probably been less than 30 hours of use. Point is, only lately, did the amp sound really nasty in the midrange. No doubt, this is part of the break in process, and even possibly a tube  change will help. Same thing with the FRX2 speakers. There was a long time before I felt that they settled in. No way will I be changing equipment in the future. When all is said and done, this is a keeper system that I have going.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/31/18 at 14:10:22

Decware amps are always supriseing  from new one day  you'll turn the amp on and whammo the amp will sound excellent!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print