Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:51:40 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Do noise isolation feet like vibrapods help? (Read 37221 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Do noise isolation feet like vibrapods help?
Reply #50 - 12/11/16 at 00:29:13

Will, while I admit that I generally don't read your posts in detail, as they are typically quite long, most of what I read in your latest post above sounds like "science" to me.  My idea of what science means is that something is reproducible by the investigator and others so long as proper conditions are maintained.  Also, predictions can be made about future performance that can be either confirmed or refuted through experience.  The "experiment" is the final arbiter -- as you seem to be saying.  If something goes against accepted theory then the burden is on the "odd" result to explain why the theory is incorrect.  I don't deny that someone might drop something and have it go up but I'd be skeptical until I proved it for myself.   Smiley

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #51 - 12/24/16 at 20:35:58

I am having a moment of clarity here, perhaps even a viable idea.
On another thread Zygi mentioned the 1/4-20 NC threads that he puts in the bottom of his speakers so that spikes can be attached. It has been more or less decided that coupling a speaker to the floor is a bad thing, correct?
Why not make some spikes out of an absorption material to decouple the speakers? Maybe a laminate of rubber, sorbothane, maybe cork with a spike on one end and a 1/4-20 NC thread on the other end. The best/worst of each?
I know that the auto industry uses rubber isolators with studs on different applications. Time to do some research!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #52 - 12/24/16 at 20:50:33

Holy crap, that was easy! $1.67 each.

If I only knew someone who could run one of those lathe thingys. That is what they call those machines that go round and round, right?
Maybe make the spikes out of 4140 steel running around 900 SFM with a chipload of around .012"IPR using a DNMG 422 P20 insert, but I really don't know anything about manufacturing stuff. Lol
Edit:
I just found Sorbothane parts just like the rubber one. Maybe combine both together with a male-female pair. I would need to try them with different durometers, but the price looks to be negligible. You gotta love mass production.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 12/27/16 at 18:48:51

Donnie,

Something like that will still let a lot of vibration of various frequencies through.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #54 - 12/27/16 at 21:01:51

I'm going to be trying some spring and MDF isolation platforms once I get my latest subwoofer built. Maybe even try a spring and MDF isolation pad on the subwoofer itself.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #55 - 12/28/16 at 01:54:32

Just saw this post, and will add that I used thick Sorbothane isolators on my ZOB speakers, and truthfully, I don't hear difference. Really guys, I wish I did. Since I now have a wood floor, I used furniture cups to set the isolators in that were perfectly fitted (that never happens). Anyway, they are still being used that way, and will stay put, since spikes are not an option with these floors. You will find those on both sides of this issue/idea, and for me, I end up using what I prefer regardless of the masses and social protocol.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print