HELP! Rectifier tubes (Read 4794 times)
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

HELP! Rectifier tubes
10/29/16 at 18:21:18

I came across a couple of old threads on this but here it is anyway.
47uf cap Torii Jr.
Is it OK to use a 5U4G or not.
I had an issue with the 274b's flashing but Steve checked it out for me and it seems OK now.
I have a NOS 1957 5R4-GY in it now that  works well and I have a line on some NOS 5U4G RCA's from the 40's that I would like to try but I am unsure what is safe and what is not. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: HELP! Rectifier tubes
Reply #1 - 10/29/16 at 18:33:25

According to the page 5U4 is the rectifier listed, so I say yes, it's going to work just fine.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIJR.html

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #2 - 10/29/16 at 18:38:08

Lon

How are you.
Is there a difference between a 5U4 and a 5U4G that would matter.

Scott

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/29/16 at 18:45:24

Not to my knowledge, no. 5U4 is the root code for the type, G, BT, etc. ar just different forms but they are electrically common.

And I'm doing fine. Life is so good I pinch myself a lot.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #4 - 10/29/16 at 18:48:46

Excellent to hear, happy for you Lon.
Thanks

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/29/16 at 20:20:29

Hey sonic seeker. Though not always the case, 5U4G-B (straight side tube) tend to be bigger in the bottom and more "colorful" than 5U4G-ST (coke bottle shape). I prefer the STs myself, but had a long affair with GBs. Also, generally, with GBs the taller bottle ones tend to be more open, and shorter, darker/thicker sounding, with medium bottles in between. Some are more clean and some more textured...lots of variation there I think, different manufacturers and vintages sounding pretty different.

The STs sound varies also, but less-so. Some RCAs are more open and some bigger, darker, denser. Earlier does tend to be better with both STs and GBs, but not always. Some of the other ST brands are less expensive at times and can be nice too, but in the ST arena, old RCAs do tend to shine.

Some help uh! Wink

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #6 - 10/30/16 at 19:42:39

Thanks Will

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print