Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 02:21:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the deal with open baffles? (Read 30917 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

What is the deal with open baffles?
06/04/16 at 15:55:52

I keep seeing different people commenting that they are wanting to try open baffle speakers. Is this the new trend, or is this the new CB radio?
The funny thing is that I'm playing my homemade OB's (nicknamed Angies) as I type this.
Am I some kind of trend setter? lol.
Truthfully, the sound coming out of these things is pretty doggone good, even more so no that they are getting a few hours on them.
This started just as a project to keep me occupied, but ended up changing my mind about "boxless" sound. There is some sort of inherent goodness to this sound.
Almost good enough for me to consider selling my MG944's, almost.
Anyway, trend or fad, I would at least recommend everyone to give a pair a listen.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: What is the deal with open baffles?
Reply #1 - 06/04/16 at 16:47:25

This is what got me started:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=19253.0

I was almost a year late to the party and joined the fun in 2006.

Magnepan and others have been doing it for a long time; dynamic driver OBs are gaining in popularity (a lot diy). I would say most people put box speakers wherever is most convenient and live with the sound. Doing that with OB speakers usually leads to major disappointment.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/04/16 at 20:34:41

While we are here, how much space around them do open baffles need?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 06/04/16 at 21:29:32

Matchstikman,
From the back of my front baffles to the wall is 48". From the outside edge to the side walls is 36".
What is funny is that I hadn't ever measured them and when I put the tape to them they were the same. I love symmetry.
Another strange thing in measuring them is that the center of one full range drive to the other is exactly 7' and the woofers are 8' apart. Weird!

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #4 - 06/04/16 at 23:29:02

That is weird.
must be Gremlins.
I just received some pure audio project tb-15 Neo's
and I am so happy I tried these, never even heard an open baffle and was skeptical.
They are so real and open and detailed and honest.
Everything is so tight and full and the sound stage is huge.
I am now going to try the Voxativ driver in place of the Tang Band.
No turning back from these, they have the sound I have been searching for.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/04/16 at 23:38:33

SonicSeeker...what Decware amp are you using with your Pure Audio Project (PAP) speakers?

For efficiency, the PAP website says SPL 94-96dB measured in room...is that because they are dipole (+3dB from rear sound wave)?  

Do you have enough headroom with your amp and the crossover they provide?

IP Logged
SonicSeeker
Seasoned Member

Listening to the
music not the
equipment

Reply #6 - 06/05/16 at 03:01:13

I am currently using the SE34I.5 Rachael.
I have plenty of headroom on most all of my recordings.
If you like extreme volume levels than a pre-amp would probably give just enough gain to accomplish this with some lower recorded music.
It drives the speakers beautifully with a full rich sound.
I ordered a TORII Junior a few weeks back before I decided to get these.
I am anxious to here it with these speakers, more of a great thing I am sure.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/05/16 at 14:24:28

Interesting.  I was just about to post an update on my OB thread.

I first got into OBs as a result of that thread Lin posted.  Fascinating read BTW.  What attracted me was the open sound and imaging possibilities.  I had done a early pair with the piano hinged wing setup and it was fun, but that was before the Decware days.

Then I heard Randy's OBs at Decfest and Proggrob's Hawthorne Trios and wanted to give it another try.

I don't think OBs have seen much commercial success because they require fussing with to get right.  Once dialed in and in the right configuration, I find them magical.  

Interesting Donnie.  I am 48" out from the rear wall and my driver centers are 7'2" apart.  Not sure what the distance on the sides is but definitely less than 3'.  It does not seem to hinder the soundstage.  Bringing them out 4' was the biggest improvement.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/05/16 at 14:44:57

Donnie/Pal...are either of you using diffusion on the front wall behind the OB's to diffuse the rear wave?  I think P McGowan stated that this improves SS depth significantly, but wondering what your experience has been.

I heard Randy's open baffles in his shop.   Beautiful, open sound.  And have been intrigued ever since.  I don't have a dedicated room, but luckily my spouse is tolerant of my speakers being about 48" from the front wall, so I think I could go the OB approach.  Some folks say rule of thirds for open baffle speakers (30% into the room), but I can't do that in my current space.

I have always been a fan of Magnepans at moderate volumes.  Unfortunately they don't do low volume well (at least in my experience) and that's how I listen these days.  Needing a monster amp isn't ideal either ; )

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/06/16 at 02:11:17

I probably have 50% of the wall behind the OBs covered with diffusion.  Pretty happy with the depth. I am 25% in to the room.  I think it would be better if I were further out but this is what is practical for my room.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/06/16 at 04:25:03

No treatment required when pulled out 5 1/2 ft or more.
IME too much treatment takes away some of the benefit of OB.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #11 - 06/06/16 at 18:29:11

I have always been drawn to "dipole" sound starting over 30 years ago, when I first got bit by the audiophile bug.  A dipole radiation pattern is  exactly what an OB speaker produces, whether it be a dynamic driver not in a box, or a Magnepan, Martin Logan stats, the ole Carver Amazings, etc.  Bipole speakers like the older Mirage's have a similar effect as well.  All these types of speakers, just sound "bigger" and more real to my ears.  I have had several different dipole speakers over the years and a bipole or two also.  It has been my experience that they need to be out from the wall behind them a minimum of 3 ft. and 4 feet or a bit more seems to work even better to my ears. Shove them up against a wall, and they "die" - just loose all their magic.

What I particularly like about my current modified Trio's is the ability to adjust the balance between the full-range crossover-less driver and the Augie bass drivers - on the fly.  Along with my Torii driving the full-rangers I can dial in the sound exactly to my liking - at any time.  I am contemplating mounting another crossover-less full range driver on the back of my baffles that will fire "rearward" as an experiment one of these days... this would give me dipole and bipole radiation of sound.  Might just turn into a big mess - might sound great - one never knows till they try.....

On the subject of "diffusion"... I bought a whole pile of Decware 2' x 2' quadratic diffusor kits a couple years ago now.  Have yet to assemble and finish them.  My intent, when I eventually get around to assembling them, is to mount them on stands so I can easily move them around, behind, between, to the sides of my OB's, etc. and be able to fine tune my sound for desired effect on the fly.  I have a large room right now and it's a minimum of 5-6 feet from my speakers to the closest wall - even farther on the right side.  I haven't had a compelling feeling to need to diffuse yet - I suppose because of the vast space I have to play in.  In a smaller space, I'm sure some diffusion and absorption would be mandatory.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Rich

Reply #12 - 06/06/16 at 20:43:13

I have a really small room 9 x 12.  I have my OB's 30 inches from the back wall with defuser's.  The defuser's make a big difference for me.  Without them I get to much back wall reflection and this affects how the OB's image.  With them I get a big sound stage with very good imaging.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/06/16 at 21:11:55

Rich,
It's not the amount of reflection, it is the lack of delay between direct and reflected. In a small room diffusion is necessary with OB, but I'd be inclined to use OB bass with LCS (late ceiling splash) for a more spacious OB like sound.

IP Logged
Rich

Reply #14 - 06/06/16 at 21:21:10

Thanks Lin,  I have not herd of LCS.  Would you please explain it to me and tell me how I might implement it.  If you want to see pictures of my room I posted some in the Members system picture gallery under My Zen room.

SE84UFO2, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, diy Betsy baffles, Bluesound Vault music server
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 06/07/16 at 00:24:40

I have a great fear that my OB's don't sound very good.
They sound good to me, but do they really sound correct?
My taste in music is questionable so maybe what I'm hearing actually sucks.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/07/16 at 00:28:07

LOL...if it pleases you, that's all that matters.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/07/16 at 00:46:24

Your OB speakers are one of the best I've (n)ever heard Donnie! Wink

Like Mark said. Smiley

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/07/16 at 01:09:07

Rich,
I looked at your pictures, if you like the sound no reason to change. Cool

Late ceiling splash basically uses 2 pairs of box speakers, one set up as normal and another pair on the floor behind firing up. Depending upon the speakers and amp, you can run both pair parallel off the main amp or use a chip amp or whatever for the "splash" speakers. The path length from floor to ceiling to listening position is over 11' so our ears/brain perceive it as a positive reverberant field. Early reflections have a negative impact on listening because they are confusing to the ears/brain.
Google it for more information.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 06/08/16 at 00:46:03

@ Lin and Rich - Interesting that this conversation just came up as there are pictures of a design by Louis that deal with LCS (though not open baffles) have just been posted on the Omega AC forums.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 06/08/16 at 01:40:26

Aren't the surround sound guys shooting sound up too?
I could take my rear baffle and aim it upward..... Hmmmm?

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #21 - 06/08/16 at 02:37:20

Audiokinesis has been on LCS for a while.  It is built into the Zephrin 46 model and comes in separate boxes in their Dreammaker LCS model.

http://www.audiokinesis.com/zephrin-46.html

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/08/16 at 05:53:48

Donnie wrote on 06/08/16 at 01:40:26:
Aren't the surround sound guys shooting sound up too?
I could take my rear baffle and aim it upward..... Hmmmm?

Yes, Dolby Atmos enabled speaker shoot in an upward position ... I'm not sure if that's geared more towards movies, music or both though.

ProggRob wrote on 06/08/16 at 02:37:20:
Audiokinesis has been on LCS for a while.  It is built into the Zephrin 46 model and comes in separate boxes in their Dreammaker LCS model.

http://www.audiokinesis.com/zephrin-46.html

Thanks for bringing these up Rob (I was trying to think of them earlier).  The concept of this design seems a bit better than the Omega (though to be fair the Omega's are trying to be Omni directional rather than dealing with LCS).  But the Audio Kinesis puts the second set of drivers near the floor to create a delay to the ceiling ~ which goes back to Lin's remark of placing a set on the floor firing up ... as somebody could do it on their own to similar effect.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/07/16 at 23:58:30

I know this is a late tag on here.  But, I have been intrigued with open baffles since I was a teenager.  I just didn't know what to call it back then.  I've been reading all the info on here and also regarding the Pure Audio Project's Trio line.  When talking to a friend who is building me a pre/linestage he suggested that I look at Spatial Audio.  That led me to a discussion with a friend who heard the Spatial M3 Turbo S's at Newport.  He said some phenomenal stuff about them.  So i went online and read everything I could find. Again, very impressive.  But the price seemed too good to be true.  So I emailed the company to ask a couple of questions.  The owner designer emailed me back.  I then developed a few other questions and took a page from of the Decware playbook and  called the headquarters directly.  I ended up talking to the owner, Clayton Shaw.   They have a 60 day return policy.  And since I'm auditioning speakers, what better place than here with my gear in my home to listen?  Hopefully in the not so distant future, I'm going up to visit Bob to hear a pair of HR 1's too.  So, does anyone here have any experience with the Spatials?  I'm especially interested if anyone has paired a Decware amp with them

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #24 - 07/09/16 at 03:58:12

Haven't heard a Spatial Audio speaker... but I am 100% smitten by open baffle sound after 40+ years of seeking the audio holy grail.  
My custom OB's go one step further than the Spatial's, which use compression drivers and crossovers, where I'm crossover-less with full-range drivers for mid/highs, augmented with OB bass drivers low-passed with a electronic xover (so are the Spatials).  
If you have a table saw, a router and a little spare time - you can build a Spatial Audio "Lumina" type speaker for approximately $3k, excluding xover for bass drivers, and amp/s for bass drivers.  
Will they sound like, as good, better, worse than the $24.5k Lumina - who knows... but worth a try if you're into DIY.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/09/16 at 15:02:13

yeah i too have been draw to dipole speakers (maggies) since the early 80's.  never owned any till recently mgIIb and mg1.6.
the 1.6's are awesome 5-6" from front wall and with xo upgrades (just better caps and inductors) and bypassing some unnecessary stuff (fuse, etc..)
in the correct position, you don't need a sub.
sound surrounds you and sound stage is out of this world good.

give them a try.  they are a bit of work to get right, but once you do...
my gallo 3.1's have not been back in my system since ive gotten mine right.

just some thoughts on ob options.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #26 - 07/09/16 at 16:05:31

After a couple of months of my OB's playing every day I can say that I really like them.
Today I'm going to plug my MG944's back into place to compare and contrast.
I am thinking that I have at least one pair of speakers too many (4 pair). But the idea of loaning out my MG's to friends so that they can hear what a great pair of speakers sound like is running through my head.
If someone catches me in a good mood, I might even give them away.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 07/10/16 at 20:28:33

Thanks for the various comments.  Based on what I've been told and read, the Spatial's are a two way speaker with the crossover set at 800 Hz.  So, the compression driver is going to be handling a huge amount of the audio spectrum. This is supposed to free up the two 15 inch drivers to bring about the supposed great bass response.  Maybe we can call this an open baffle with a twist.  

I was already down with trying to build a pair of open baffles based on the Pure Audio Project's Trio Series when it was suggested I look at the Spatials.  I've been told the compression driver sitting inside the upper 15 inch driver allows it to use the controlled dispersion pattern supposedly engineered into the speaker. (I think I got this right.) As I understand it, the development of this speaker and mass producing it is how they get the price down to $ 2,595.00 for a pair.

Decware ZMA w/ mods, Don Sachs Model 2 line stage, Decware: HR-1’s w/mods, Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), Cambridge Audio CXC CD Transport, Ice Age Audio: Cryo Copper Power Cords, Better Cables: Silver Serpent Interconnect Cables, Maple Shade Double Helix V2+ Spkr Wire
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 07/13/16 at 22:18:36

I posted a mini review of the Spatials in the Axpona 2016 thread (on 2nd page in the general discussion forum).  Reply #20.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 07/13/16 at 23:02:44

I've never heard the Spatials, so take this with a grain of salt ... but I'm not so sure about crossing a 1" driver with a 15" or even a 12" driver.  It's almost the ABC's of speaker design not to do that and maybe even the questionability of the otherwise cool but expensive Devore Orangutan ~ which tries to do the same (cross the 1" with a 15") and has some discontinuity issues with the sound as well IMO.  The Spatial is a coaxial and must use a horn or waveguide of some sort, but to what avail I'm not sure.

But that's just what comes off the top of my head, I don't know enough about the design of the coaxial and what he's done to compensate for that issue ... and since I've never heard them I'll keep an open mind until then.  They are reasonably priced and come with a 60 day trial period so that takes some risk out of the purchase.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #30 - 07/13/16 at 23:30:25

Beowolf,

I am probably on your side of the fence when it comes to pairing drivers. But of course, there are those exceptions to be had. My experience with co-axial drivers hasn't been so good, and it would seem to me to be the opposite. As it turns out, one set of drivers that I tried isn't been manufactured any longer, maybe due to this fact. Presently, I am playing with a set of Audio Nirvana 8" full range drivers. As much as I like them, it surprising to me how much better that the FRX2 drivers sound. Then again, the ZOB was designed for these drivers. I guess that I can't just 'plug in' just any driver and expect the same results. FWIW, the AN drivers are not broken in yet, and I am far from experimenting with them.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 07/15/16 at 05:37:10

@ Palomino.... Went back and read your review.  Thanks.  I'm assuming this was the M3 Turbo S?  I found a review somewhere a while back from another show and I thought I remembered Clayton having both the M3 and M4 on site in the same room.  I could be wrong.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 07/15/16 at 11:11:18

4krow wrote on 07/13/16 at 23:30:25:
Beowolf,

I am probably on your side of the fence when it comes to pairing drivers. But of course, there are those exceptions to be had. My experience with co-axial drivers hasn't been so good, and it would seem to me to be the opposite. As it turns out, one set of drivers that I tried isn't been manufactured any longer, maybe due to this fact. Presently, I am playing with a set of Audio Nirvana 8" full range drivers. As much as I like them, it surprising to me how much better that the FRX2 drivers sound. Then again, the ZOB was designed for these drivers. I guess that I can't just 'plug in' just any driver and expect the same results. FWIW, the AN drivers are not broken in yet, and I am far from experimenting with them.

I've been following your FRX/AN thread in the ZOB forum and I've also seen you post about the FRX2 before a few times so I know you really like them.  That's one speaker driver that's on my list to hear one of these days!  I've never heard the Audio Nirvana either, but it looks as if it doesn't have a whizzer ... I'm just wondering if there is any beaming with that size driver and no whizzer?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 07/15/16 at 13:59:36

I think it was the turbo version.  I remember talking to him about the difference.  

I don't want to sell these speakers short.  Hard to tell at audio shows.  I did come home and listen to my OB DIYs and preferred them but that's a bi-amp setup with a beefier woofer and a treated room.  And there is also the Decware amp difference and while he had a much better DAC his source was nothing to write home about.  The price and promise make these tempting for a trial.  I also like the simple but elegant look of the speaker.

I am thinking of picking up a 15a to compare to the Augie.  The Augies are over $100 more but Randy of the now world famous Caintuck Audio advised me to go with the Augies.  Speaking of which Steve has a nice demo video of Randy's Betsys out there.  I am thinking of picking up a pair of those Betsys to compare to my Tang Bands.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/15/16 at 21:03:24

Afraid I'm on the merry go round.  Because of the return policy for the Spatial's (60 days and you have to keep them 45 before you can return them.)  I'm gonna give the M3 Turbo S a try.   I've got a pair of Cornwall's that I've tweaked and worked on where they sound pretty sweet where they are.  Actually, placement and getting them 1/4 inch off the floor has really made a great improvement.   In truth, I'm almost afraid.  Four pair of speakers might doom my wife's patience with this hobby.  But, as said, I've been drawn to the open baffle concept since I was a kid of 12 just playing around. Didn't know there was a term for my attempts until a few years ago.  And, because what I envisioned and the components I wanted to use for my version of the Trio 15 would be more than $2,000.00, I figure why not give them a listen.  I'll post back in a few weeks after I get them and give them a few weeks burn in.  Thanks for your thoughts.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 07/15/16 at 21:15:09

Good luck.  It's a fun Merrygoround.  Interesting they make you wait 45 days before returning.

I have limited exposure to the Klipsch, but I think in comparison you will be blown away from a sound stage standpoint (if you have the room to let the OBs breath).  I think from a SQ standpoint as well but I don't know your tweaks.

Listening to my system now.  For they type of listening I do, I am not sure I can go back to box speakers.  I still have them, but OBs take me "there".

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/15/16 at 21:27:54

OBs look tempting but everything I look at the specs all I can think is dang, I'll need a subwoofer.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 07/15/16 at 22:24:12

I think it can depend on the type of music you listen to.  Most full range drivers need bass augmentation but the 15a or augie provides that.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #38 - 07/15/16 at 23:16:58

Audio Nirvana has 3 "series" of full-rangers.  the SCF (super cast frame) series, which have whizzers, the newer "Classic" series, which do not have whizzers and also a newer model he calls the "horn series".

I have three different pairs of the SCF series.  I have one pair of Alnico SCF's and two pairs of the Ferrite SCF model.  I purposely bought the Alnico model and installed them in a DIY 5.6 cu.ft. bass-reflex box of Dicks' recommendation/design.  These were a revelation for me and set my feet on the path of enlightenment to crossover-less wide-banders and Decware amplification.

Later, after exposure to RandyInCaintuck, my path was altered again slightly to running wide-banders in open baffles.  Here I have remained for going on 3 years now.  I haven't heard anything better.

Audio Nirvana/CommonSenseAudio is located in my state - MO.  Dicks claims the new Classic series AN drivers are the best overall, and he claims the 15" Alnico model is the best of them all.  
I have the 15" SCF ferrite model in my OB's.  I came by these drivers by accident, when a local guy lost patience with dialing/tuning them for a bass-reflex implementation.  I replaced the 15" coaxial drivers in a pair of Hawthorne Trio's I have, with the 15" AN's as a "try it and see", as I could never get the stock coaxial drivers to "come to life" like the crossover-less wide-banders. Once again, I was very impressed with the sound.  I still have the 12" SCF Alnico's in a box, but the OB's with the 15" AN full-rangers have become my reference.  I need to take the 12" Alnico's out of the reflex box and put them in my OB's and see how they sound compared to the 15" ferrite's - so much tinkering to do - so little time... someday....

It's on my list to travel over to CommonSenseAudio and check out the Classic series drivers.  I chose the 12" Alnico SCF AN drivers I first bought, unheard, by studying the response graphs.  The 12 "measures" smoother in the upper half of the frequency band than the 15" that Dicks claimed was the best at the time.  I have been happy with these 12" Alnicos in the bass-reflex box I built for them.  But like all, or nearly all wide-banders, they have a rising response that starts in the upper mids.  And the top measures pretty jagged - but they do not "sound" this way to the human ear - only to a microphone.  This is where the Decware Torii, made for wide-banders, comes into play and allows one to dial in the sound and compensate for their rising response.  In my room, driven by my Torii, a calibrated microphone and RTA software can't find much wrong with the frequency response I'm getting at the listening position - my ears can't find much to complain about either...!

Again, studying published response graphs for the AN drivers, the new Classic series AN drivers measure considerably smoother, and have significantly less rise in the mid/high frequency region than darn near all wide-banders.  So I probably need to travel over to CommonSenseAudio and give these new Classic series drivers a listen... which will probably lead to another upgrade - argh!...  :)

IP Logged
Rich

Reply #39 - 07/16/16 at 03:51:20

Has anyone else tried placing defuser's behind their OB's on the front wall?  I found doing this really added to the soundstage and imaging of my DIY OB's.

IP Logged
Blueone302
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 07/16/16 at 05:19:56

Yes, the merry go round is a lot of fun.  But sometimes I get dizzy. Shocked   The return policy on the Spatial's is 60 days, but you can't get an RMA until you've had them 45 days.  I was told it is because a lot of people purchase gear, listen for thirty minutes and throw in the towel.  I read on one of the magazine reviews where the idea was to give them time to burn in, loosen up, etc. before making the decision to send them back.   I've chatted with several owners who bet me that if I give them a decent chance, I'll not be sending them back.  We shall see.  

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #41 - 07/16/16 at 06:39:10

Maddog,

I appreciate your write up about the AN drivers. They do have a lot to offer, but as you mentioned the mid and top sometimes get out of hand. Depending on the model too. I used the decware 'Gizmo' on one set to get it right for my tastes. A set of the 12" Classic model with Ferrite magnet was really good for the money. So that is why I tried the 8" Classic with the Alnico magnet.

P7140001.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #42 - 07/16/16 at 06:42:00

I should explain. The photo that you are seeing is just another experiment using the FRX2 as the main driver with the AN 8" covering the rear port hole ( to load it's cone), and using an electronic crossover and bass amp. Interesting experiment, but I am still trying dial in the lower half.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print