Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/19/24 at 07:17:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Welcome to the ZTPRE support forum (Read 18058 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Welcome to the ZTPRE support forum
06/04/16 at 03:19:26

As I post this, the first 3 or 4 ZTPRE's are in route to customers, so...

Here is the owner's manual for the ZTPRE - recommended reading

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ztpreowner.pdf

It will be updated before it's completely finished, but this will get those first lucky customer's going just fine!

Cheers,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
RW82
Verified Member

Re: Welcome to the ZTPRE support forum
Reply #1 - 06/14/16 at 05:42:10

I would love to hear some first impressions!

MBP 24 bit Audio via Oppo 103, PS Audio PWD Mk II DAC, Z-Stage, Pass Labs 30.8, Decware DM 947 Speakers.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/14/16 at 12:57:34

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/16 at 16:02:23

I have been trying to get a little burn-in time on the new pre before doing any critical listening. I know the cryoed Beeswax caps could use a little time to settle in. First impression from the start is good and l think  more potential.

Other problems that are more pressing now is that my dedicated music server has been infected with ransomware and locked up. I use this server for three different systems in my home and it works great or did. The hacker wants me to pay in bit coin, an untraceable internet currency. If I may paraphrase the late great John Wayne "I have no coin for them, nothing but lead". All of my music is backed up on an external drive and I should everything resolved by next week.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 06/16/16 at 04:43:06

Little bastards.

On another note, the original owner's manual was pushing 20 meg due to the high res photos, I have compressed it down to 1.8 meg so it will be easier to download and email around.

WWW   IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/16/16 at 14:18:58

Thanks Steve

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 06/16/16 at 16:14:50

Plus note that you needed the new Pre to get the headroom you were lacking for your JansZens. I have no such problem with my CSP3 and the liquidity and slam of my KS6063's let through.

Still surprised that you can't drive your JansZen's with the CSP3 (to ZMA)? I know Dave uses a CSP3 with his Jan's. However, he might not go near the headroom you need/want with the Jan's. My 6 to 7 more db efficient modified Adagio's have all the headroom they need.

Do tell in time.    

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/17/16 at 00:00:11

OK, I don't really need anything but I always want more. I'm what Steve would call a good customer. Ha ha, there is nothing wrong with the CSP3 at all. I am using the CSP3 in another system so this was a good excuse to try another Preamp. I like using the balanced outputs from the DS DAC and getting the additional voltage. The ZT pre is a beast and I'm just listening and learning right now. With my audio server down I'm sitting here listening to pandora through a Sonos player into the DS. Not quite the quality of red book streaming to the bridge II but still getting some breakin time on the ZTpre.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 06/23/16 at 15:41:38

I hear you lLance. I have an Audio Research LS17 SE Preamplifier coming.

Purchased at cost, with full warranty ~ new/in sealed box. The ZMA deserves the new ZTPRE or LS17 SE.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/audio_research_ls17_se.htm

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/23/16 at 17:55:11

stone, that Audio Research is a nice preamp from what I've read.  I've never actually heard one.

Question, why would I pick a ZTPRE over a CSP3?  Do you have both?

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 06/23/16 at 18:17:35

No, I don't have both. The CSP3 is a great Pre. I probably won't part with it. However, I might if you want it.

I think the ZTPRE can exploit more musicality out of my ZMA. As can the LS17 SE. I've discovered how important a transparent Pre can be. I want to take it to the next level of transparent tone/dimensionality through my ZMA.

I could not pass up the buy on the LS17 SE. Plus, ARC is only 25 miles across town/drop off service. They support just about all their gear with parts/vault on the shelf (including LED's), for 46 years. There is not a piece of ARC Chris can't fix. Rare if ever....their will be a problem.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/23/16 at 18:21:27

thanks, stone.
As I written, I have an original CSP.  While I think it does a great job I think a CSP3 might do even better, but then there is the ZTPRE and I'm not sure which to get.  It is a bit of a quandry.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 06/23/16 at 18:36:23

Also, include more authority driven into the ZMA from either the ZTPRE or LS17 SE. I guess I said that with "exploit more" out of the ZMA.

You could send your CSP in for Jupiter Caps? However, selling your CSP and putting the dough towards the last Pre you will ever need, gets my vote for the ZTPRE.

The ARC LS17 SE will be all I will ever need. Damn lucky and the right timing to swing owning it.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 06/23/16 at 18:43:13

stone, that is good advice.

One thing I do like about the ZTPRE over the CSP3 is the design; it lays flat and I can probably put it in a lower shelf in my rig setup.  The CSP3 is tall an requires more space.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/23/16 at 23:59:30

Matchstikman,

Be patient my friend, my tunes are back up and running, after having my music server held hostage with ransom ware. I'm back to breaking in the ZTpre. I want to give it a fair chance against the CSP3 so a good burn-in is probably needed.

First you need to decide if you have a need for the ZTpre. Does your amp have balanced inputs? Do all of the sources you have use balanced outputs? If the answer to those questions is no, then the CSP3 is probably a better fit. I am planning to eventually bring a turntable back in, but in the back of the room and I will need a long XLR run to keep noise from sneaking into my interconnects.

Both preamps are really good. If you need a remote option then the ZTpre fills the bill and yes, this unit will fit on any audio rack shelf. Not to mention how freakin cool it looks. One thing to think about is that you will need 6 well matched, identical tubes when tube rolling. This will get a little pricey. Can you imagine Stone, buying 6 telefunkins from Kevin Deal.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 06/24/16 at 04:40:32

The thought made me cringe! .....six NOS matched from Kevin.  :'(

I have the ARC LS17 SE coming in. I'll stick with the pair of 6H30's it runs. Burn in ahead. Leaves my 9 pair of NOS 6922 types to run solely in my ZMA.  :)

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 06/24/16 at 13:31:43

FedEx! Saturday delivery coming for my ARC LS17 SE!
Severe thunderstorms forecasted for when I want to fire her up though. Will see how that fleshes out............ .       Angry Angry Cry Cry

Listening Room:

Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew

Sony as Transport (DVP-NS57P)/Sandwich weighted for Isolation

Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC

Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha Digital Power Cord to ZDSD
{Extremely Significant}

Decware ZDSD DAC / Recorder
W/Steve's Output Transformer's/kicking to the curb quite a few superb DAC'S!
(@ -20 Ref Level, 0.0 Input volume and @ 16/192)

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

***Audio Research LS17 SE Preamplifier*** ~ w/stock 6H30's

.....will upgrade to: DR
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6H30-Tube-Types/Russian-6H30P-DR

WBT-0102Ag RCA Kimber Select KS1030

Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
~BIASED at *60* mA~
(NOS/Platinum/E188CC 7308 Cryogenic Mullard's in my A12 an B12 positions~NOS/Platinum/Ediswan CV2492/6922's for Inverter Tubes~JAN Sylvania 0A3's & New Quad of Tube Depot Stealth/Tung-Sol KT66's)
ZMA adjusted at 15%, 20 to 25% max ~ from 0

Kimber Select KS6063 Speaker Cable 8ft WBT-0681-Ag Spades

Acoustic Zen Adagio - Black Pearl (Modified)
.....from 8ohm Taps

Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modified/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-single Cap to each Tweeter/4.5k cross
(Gutted: 3kHz/18dB/Octave, Linkwitz/Riley Crossovers....with all crappy parts = gone)

XLO Pro Power Cords to ARC LS17 SE an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an ARC LS17 SE, Regenerated/*122*~ Multiwave off...ZMA on High Current Output)

NOS Platinum Tube Rotations in my ZMA,

(matched pairs/from Upscale Audio/Kevin):

(Germany) Telefunken E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Great Britain) Mullard 7308/E188CC ~  2 pair (both pair Cryogenic)
(US/Great Britain) Ediswan CV2492/6922 ~ 2 pair (one pair Cryogenic)
(Hungary) Tungsram 6922/E88CC ~ 1 pair
(Hungary) Tungsram PCC88/7DJ8 ~ 1 pair
(Russian) Cryoset 6N23N/P-EB ~ 2 pair

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 06/24/16 at 14:51:17

Good luck! I hope it is all you want it to be. I'm grooving to the PS Audio P10 that arrived yesterday and is da bomb!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #18 - 06/24/16 at 15:38:00

Yes, like my Kimber KS6063's were purchased at a price I can recoup. So is my ARC LS17 SE purchase. Like my 6063's that can be sold when I'm dead (they ain't going anywhere)...so too, most likely will be the case for my LS17.  ;) Wink Wink Wink

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 06/24/16 at 16:00:27

I will also be running Balanced (XLR).

ZDSD (XLR) to ARC LS17 SE (XLR) to Parasound A23 (XLR) in. The LS17 SE is renowned for taking a modest piece like the A23 to an whole other level. Won't be my ZMA, balanced or unbalanced. But, fun to run the little bug wad A23 to new heights. Might prompt me to send or drive my ZMA to Steve for the balanced inputs.  8-) Cool Cool Cool

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/26/16 at 02:42:46

I made some changes today. Since I have an abundance of amps at the moment, I moved the ZMA and ZT pre into my basement to try out with my modded Oppo105 and Monitor Audio Gold GX 300 speakers. Well... I think they call this synergy. Holy crap it sounds good. I have had the ZMA in this room before so the big change is the ZT pre. Bigger sound stage and crushing bass. I have always had a problem with noise in this room and the balanced cables have solved this problem for me. The dreaded buzz is gone. The monitor audio speakers are a little more efficient than the Janszens too.

The ZT pre is starting to shine. Is it better than the CSP3? I don't know yet, it's slightly different in a good way. I'm still futzing around with stuff. I will have to remove the NOS tubes and put the CSP3 back to stock before a real comparison.

If I keep this set up like it is, It looks like I will be selling the AVA Fet Valve 400R Amplifier. I know people are talking about AVA on the other thread so maybe there's some interest.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 06/26/16 at 16:30:10

Keep your impressions coming lLance. The ZMA is so special. Find the right combo for it.

I received my ARC LS17 SE yesterday. FedEx never fails to be right on time for Saturday deliveries and the Box being in prestine condition. UPS need not exist in my book.

My weather was to nice yesterday and now today to get to my new PRE. Going to the 50 Food Truck Festival today in Uptown Mpls.

With my coffee right now the Audio Research box with its: Designed and Hand Crafted in Plymouth, MN......is just teasing me! So, off to the Food Truck Festival. Hope to get to my LS17 SE tomorrow night..... .

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/27/16 at 23:31:20

ILance, if you could do me a big favor and put that ZTPRE in front of the AVA and let me know how it sounds?  It would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 06/28/16 at 00:39:06

It was the first thing I did when I took the ZTpre into this room. It sounds fantastic with the AVA. I had to use adapters to go from balanced to single ended so probably not getting the most out of the ZT.

The AVA really brought the bass out on my Janszens when I tried it with them. The AVA is a great amp but I still prefer the ZMA. (ZMA + ZTpre = killer combo)

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 06/28/16 at 14:46:03

The ZMA is an obviously superior amp to the AVA.  Heck, your model AVA is a higher end model to the one I own which I think is the etnry level model.

ILance, what differences did you hear between the two amps?

Your info has me headed down the path of the CSP3 somewhere in the distant future and I appreciate your input.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print