Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 10:09:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZKIT1: Mounting components off of the PCB (Read 7136 times)
martin

ZKIT1: Mounting components off of the PCB
03/24/16 at 09:56:36

I'm getting ready to mount my tube sockets, potentiometer, RCA inputs, and banana plug speaker hook-ups and I want to mount them to the inside of my case rather than to the PCB.  I would think that what I need to do is connect wires (insulated) between the components and the board.  In other words, a piece of wire between where pin one of a tube socket would go on the board and the actual pin one of the socket.

Seems like it should be pretty simple and should work but I know enough at least to not just assume I know what I'm doing.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Re: ZKIT1: Mounting components off of the PCB
Reply #1 - 03/24/16 at 12:50:46

Martin,
I have seen it done the way you are talking about.
Things I would be careful with:
1.) Length of wire, you want to keep things short as possible but still manageable to work with.
2.) Crossing wires or twisting them together where they are not suposed to be twisted will just create hum, cross-talk and noise.
3.) Getting any audio carrying signal wire near the power transformer.

One idea is to mount the circuit board on short standoffs, with sockets installed, up against the amp top plate with the top plate cut out for access to the sockets.
This eliminates a lot of external wiring to/from the board.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/16 at 16:04:24

Martin,
Here is a thread that shows a picture of a build somewhat like what you are speaking of:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1426020787

IP Logged
martin

Reply #3 - 03/25/16 at 15:59:34

Thanks Core32.  If I'm gonna do this right do I need to use wiring that's colored in a certain way, or is it "right" to just go with one color for all?

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/25/16 at 17:01:00

Martin,
Wire color will not matter other than making it easier for you to troubleshoot. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
As a safety measure, I did use different colors for the high voltage lines (red) and ground (green).
WARNING!!! The high voltage created in these can kill. Please remember that when doing any probing and always wait for the voltages to bleed down before putting your body parts in there!

Be sure and use stranded wire of course.

Another picture that may help with your pin numbering is from the Decware site of the ZKIT-1 schematic.
The socket pin #s are on there and should line up with your board.
https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZKIT1schematicrev2011.pdf

I posted a Youtube video of an amp assembly guide on another thread here that was extremely helpful to me.
Let me know if you can't find it.

IP Logged
martin

Reply #5 - 03/27/16 at 04:08:09

Thanks Core32.  I'll take a look.   Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print