04/26/24 at 13:28:39 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Next project?? (Read 80727 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Next project??
Reply #100 - 05/11/16 at 12:32:36

My first OB project was with a driver that wasn't intended for OB.  It was 5" but sounded pretty good with a sub.  So what you are suggesting is intriguing.

It would have to have the right QTS to be able to reach down to the sub.  I've never looked to see if any small drivers offer this.  I'll take a look to see what the QTS is on a couple of drivers I have lying around.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #101 - 05/11/16 at 17:17:25

Jeff,
Something like this?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 05/11/16 at 17:29:27

Nice!   Are those Fostex?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #103 - 05/11/16 at 17:32:03

IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #104 - 05/11/16 at 22:44:45

Size wise those look good. I did a brief search on Madisound and was able to find a few 3-5 inch full range drivers in 4 ohm that were decently priced for experimenting. Definite floor standing which the height would need to be worked out but the premise is to be able to sit in any type of chair and move these small units to a position that yields the preferred imaging. I am stuck on the 4 ohm currrently since my sub is 4 ohm and now that I think of it the size of it with a pillow on top would make for a great ottoman while listening. hah like sensurround used for the movie "earthquake" from the 70's. That shook the good ole hometown Roxy theater in Northampton Pa back then. My main concern is will experimenting with a cheap driver skew the results of obtaining image and depth.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #105 - 05/12/16 at 00:25:27

So Jeff, What comes to mind to me would be something like a floor lamp with a small baffle attached.
Something like this type of lamp

Am I getting close to your vision?
One on either side of your chair.
Damn, I might have to make something like this.

IP Logged
Jeff1

Reply #106 - 05/12/16 at 01:20:55

My original design thoughts were 2 separate thin towers perhaps about 30" and just  bit wider than the driver. Using wood to provide a good solid support for the drivers. However your lamp idea is interesting and would provide infinite adjustment. One for each side and I would think depending on the weight of the speaker and baffle it could work and look a it more high tech as well. Hmmmm.

PI Audio Uberbuss, Esoteric K05X, ELF gold Interconnect, TabooMK4,ZMF Silver Michanikos, ZMF Atrium Closed Back.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #107 - 05/22/16 at 00:43:13

I wanted to comment on something that I've noticed with my open baffles. They sound better with the windows open. Weird. I can't think of an explanation. They just sound more open and lifelike.
Maybe it is the smell of my rat bastard neighbor cooking on his grill?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #108 - 05/29/16 at 01:07:21

update?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #109 - 05/29/16 at 10:37:45

Update:
After a month or so of playing I am very happy with my handiwork, at least sonically.
The sound has really started coming together, there is more than enough bass and I really love the soundstage.
Several of my friends that have listened to my speakers have commented on how nice they sound and how cool they look. I will temper their comments because none of my friends give a hoot about my strange obsession for listening to music.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I've done and it kept me off of the street for a good part of 8 weeks.
Lessons learned:
Work on the overall plan a little more, "winging it" only goes so far.
I need to work on my veneering skills, the next time will be a lot better.
Take my time, I got a little impatient towards the end of the project and it shows up in the little details that I let get by me.
But most importantly, make sure that you have fun. This is a hobby, not a job.  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #110 - 08/27/16 at 00:17:43

I have an interesting update.
I guy who works for me had been showing interest in audio, enough that he went out and bought a cheep cheep Chinese tube amp ($150).  Tonight after work he brought his little amp over to try out with my stuff.
It was funny sticking interconnects that cost twice as much as his amp into it.
We started by playing my OB's (nicknamed Angie's) with his little amp, it held it's own, it just lost a lot of power and precision that my Torii has.
We then dragged my MG944's out of the corner and hooked them up. It was a nice polite combo. We then hooked the Torii back up to the 944's, big difference, just more better.
We then hooked up my OB's to the Torii. I haven't ever played the 944's back to my OB's.
I hate to say that my OB's sounded really really good, better than my beloved 944's. By a pretty big margin.
I know that those are some fightin' words. Bob makes magic boxes, and believe me, I'm a hack at best, but I've hit on a combo that works.
My co-worker was just raving on how well my speakers sounded. Though he might have been buttering me up because we loaded up the 944's in his car for a ride over to Springfield. I'll let him borrow them for a while, then I'll talk him into trading up to a Decware amp so he can hear the truth!
It is good to be able to let someone get a little joy from something that sound as well as the 944's do.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #111 - 08/27/16 at 00:31:50

Good read, thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print