Send Topic Print
Next project?? (Read 80725 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Next project??
02/05/16 at 23:15:22

One of my CAD Monkeys went rogue on me today and drew up an open baffle speaker for me. He said that the was working from pictures that he saw on the internet.
I'm pretty sure what he is proposing wouldn't work well. The bass driver has to go on the bottom, with some baffle width, doesn't it?
The full range driver should be at ear level and perhaps on a smaller baffle, right?
When I asked how the bass driver was supported, he replied that it would have a ring water jetted out of aluminum.
25 year old kids are silly.
Or is he some sort of mad genius?
What do you all think?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Next project??
Reply #1 - 02/06/16 at 13:15:58

I've seem offset drivers in OBs but not flip flopped FRs and woofers.  Perhaps you are on to a great audio discovery.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 02/13/16 at 01:16:04

Tomorrow I'm starting to search for the correct wood for my OB project.
My initial idea was to have planks with bark on them, but having a width of 24" makes this difficult.
I did find some material called Perfect Plank that looks pretty cool   http://www.perfectplank.com/index.html  . The price of this stuff isn't too bad if I kind of squint my eyes and throw caution to the wind. The walnut and the maple sure is pretty. It machines well, I used it in my pattern making days.
But back to tomorrow, My CAD Monkey and I are driving down to St. Louis to a woodworking show to see what kind of wood is available from some of the hardwood jobbers.
The plan has morphed from last week to something a little more ordinary.
We are kicking around the idea of two 15" Eminence Alphas and a Tang Band 8" per speaker.
One version has a woofer on the bottom and one on the top.
Another version has two woofers on the bottom.
Another interesting version has the two woofers on the bottom with one behind the other, wired out of phase.
My CAD Monkey lives by Legacy Speakers in Springfield and he saw that they did the thing with the stacked woofers. There is a strong possibility that he is breaking into their factory at night and stealing secrets.
So wish me luck in finding the perfect hunks of wood tomorrow.
BTW: I thought that a open baffle would be a cheap build, boy oh boy, I was completely wrong on that idea. Oh well, it is only money, I'll make more.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/13/16 at 01:27:17

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 02/13/16 at 01:37:10

Thanks Lin. That gives me even more ideas.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 02/13/16 at 13:48:53

Lin has pointed me in another direction now. This Emerald Physics dipole thing has me wound up.
I made a mistake of looking at other EP speakers and saw something else of interest to me. Slide over for the pic, lots of white there!

This also looks doable.
So many options in life.
I'm getting ready to go to St. Louis to shop for wood.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/13/16 at 19:23:04

Both of those look pretty cool.  Not sure how you'd fabricate that tube though.  

My boombox is a dipole design. Makes for petty good bass.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 02/13/16 at 22:23:19

Palomino, the tube is as easy as your nearby Lowe's. Sono tube for concrete footings. I'm thinking epoxy or bondo to cover any flaws, prime and paint.
Today I found a source for my wood slab needs. They had some nice slabs of spalted maple, walnut and several other species that were in the 24" + width range.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/14/16 at 12:59:33

Or these....

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/14/16 at 13:11:35

Or an open baffle line array...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/14/16 at 13:14:42

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 02/14/16 at 16:50:30

So many ideas!
Better judgment has settled in, Before I spend $500 for a couple of hunks of really nice lumber, I'm going to experiment on some aspen wood 24X48x.75 panels that they sell at Lowe's for less than $30 a piece.
This way when I won't feel as bad when I screw up. This will also give me the option of moving the 8" driver around to figure out the best configuration.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 02/17/16 at 01:33:45

There are boxes and boxes of speaker drivers heading my way. It appears that this project is going to happen.
I have not a clue of what I'm doing. Oh well, that has never stopped me before.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/18/16 at 18:37:46

Where did you end up on the drivers?  Tang Band/Alphas?  If so, how will you cross them or is that TBD?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 02/18/16 at 23:07:49

I ended up ordering the Tang Bands and 4 of the 15" Alphas. I also ordered a low pass crossover set at 100 hz.
The current plan is to hack some wood up this weekend.
One alpha facing forward on it's baffle and one facing rearward on it's own baffle behind the front one. The Tang Bands will be up top on the front baffle, probably around 38" up, offset to the side 2/3 of the way over. The top part of the baffle will be cut down to 16" wide.
I'll try them without the crossover, with the crossover to both alphas, with the crossover to the back and to the front.
I will also experiment with how far the alpha's are apart, starting with 16" between the baffles.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #15 - 02/19/16 at 01:24:21

A bunch of boxes arrived this evening. I've already unpacked everything and wired the speakers to a amp.
The low pass crossover is hooked up to one pair of the alpha's, not caring for what I'm hearing on that side right now.
No discernible bass at this time out of anything, I'm hoping that the baffles will fix that.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/19/16 at 15:12:28

I can say based on my experience it takes at least 20 hours for the Alpha 15's to loosen up.

The Alpha crossed at 100 hz playing by itself will sound weird baffle or not. It won't sound like Bass Guitar because Bass Guitar goes way up beyond 100 hz. The Brain is only getting part of what it recognizes as Bass Guitar and does not know what to make of it.

Same thing happens if you run conventional Subs without the mains (sounds rough). Run the Alpha full range and it will start to sound a bit more like music.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 02/20/16 at 02:44:03

I roughed one out tonight. And when I say rough, I mean rough.
It is just a proof of concept at this point.
It does have bass, thank goodness.
I need to make them less deep.
Running the Alpha's full range right now.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 02/23/16 at 01:56:56

More action shots.
Laying out the holes.

Proof of work

One done, kinda.

Inside view.

Back apart for color.

These are still for experimentation, if they work I will get some better wood. The only reason I've put any color on them was to keep them from warping, then I noticed that I had some stain and some shellac....
I've drawn out what I am going to use for spreader bars in the final version, very trick.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/23/16 at 02:39:57

VERY cool, Donnie! I'll be most interested to hear what you find is the optimal distance betw the Alphas. Keep us in the loop, will you?

Randy

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/23/16 at 12:41:56

Looking good Donnie.  Yes very interested in the dipole design.

On the crossover I have measured in REW where the tang band drops off and where the augie fills in.  Generally it is below 100 hz.  After that I don't know that the tang band benefits.   I have tried several settings in the crown up to 250.   The 15a may be a different animal though.  Right now I am at 80hz.  The tang band is really pretty full range in a good size baffle.  Also there is a hump in the tang band between 100 and 400 hz. Pushing the augie above 100hz muddies thing up in that range.

In the end you'll have to experiment.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/23/16 at 13:54:48

Pal,

Just curious if you have tired running your Augies full range (by-passing the crossover completely).

My experience with the 15A was similar to yours using a 250hz crossover. When I eliminated the crossover completely the muddiness was gone.

My theory with regard to the muddiness. It's not the driver sounding bad but rather the brain detecting a disconnect between the 15A and the higher frequency driver (a lack of cohesion between the two as far as the brain is concerned).

When I run my 15a's full range the higher frequency driver just seems to float on top of everything from the 15A's. The 15A's present the brain with a cohesive Bass line from about 45hz to well over 1,000hz similar to what a Bass Guitar actually does.

In my case adding the crossover #1: sucked some life out of the music and #2: just seemed to create a transition issue that is a real red flag for the brain. I'm also wondering if the crossover introduces some signal time smearing which adds to the disconnect between low and high frequency drivers?

I used to take the approach: Why isn't this sounding good? More recently I've been taking the approach: Why isn't my brain buying this?

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #22 - 02/23/16 at 18:43:35

I use Audio Nirvana full-rangers w/Augie's in OB's. The AN's, "measured", in my room, using test tone's go down to 65ish hz and drop off like a rock below that.

If I run a full-range signal to the Augie's, they go up quite a ways, farther than I expected to hear, high enough to clearly hear female vocals thru them, albeit, very flat, dull and muddy sounding female vocals.

I cross my Augie's at about 90hz, 24db per octave, and run my Nirvana's wide open and am getting some righteous sound.  
Oh and BTW I am using a Crown XLS-2500 to drive the Augie's... but I am not using the Crown's built-in xover - I'm using an external electronic xover.  
I did listen to the Crown using it's internal crossover, but I liked the overall "sound" better with the external xover. The external unit, has more adjustable parameters and I'm able to get it dialed in more to my liking.  But I should/need to go back and try the Crown's internal xover again, as I'm using a different amp on the full-rangers now, than when I tried it the first time.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 02/24/16 at 23:06:24

Donnie, even though the equal distances on the sides and above the TB may look nice, it really hurts OB sound.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #24 - 02/24/16 at 23:23:07

Thanks Lin.
I'll try these for a little bit to get used to them and then do a little hack job on them to see if it helps.
That is why I started with cheap wood. I won't have any regrets hacking stuff up to figure out what sounds best to me.
Do you have any recommendations or tips of what I should change?
I'm truly open to any thoughts.  

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 02/25/16 at 22:35:41

DBC,

I do not recall it sounding bad when I ran the augies full range.  I can give that a try again just to see if its muddy.  

I can also measure it again to see if it jacks up the high bass/low mids.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 02/26/16 at 12:05:01

Donnie, if you don't want to get too techy just make sure all 3 measurements are different.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 02/26/16 at 12:30:27

DBC,

I tired it and it sounded horrible.  I didn't remember that and I figured it out.  My experiment before was with the augies supporting the monoliths. So with the single driver is unlistenable but with the monoliths it was ok.  I may toss the monos back in and see how I feel about it now that I have some experience with the single driver crossed to the augie.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 02/26/16 at 12:36:41

No speaker building experience at all here but a concern I would have just looking is the close proximity of the magnets back-to-back on the Alphas.
I have to believe your getting some crossing of fields there and possibly canceling out some of the ability of each to create deflection.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 02/26/16 at 14:55:56

That might explain why the examples Donnie posted earlier had such a wide spread.  At the time, I wondered why did they make them so deep?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #30 - 02/26/16 at 17:31:40

Thanks Lin, I will hack on these after I get used to the sound.
Core32, I have wondered about the magnets being too close also. I already have a plan, I'm going to turn the back Alphas around so that they face forward.
I at first had the baffles around 20" apart, that made for a major packaging problem. They were way too deep for my room. They are 10" apart now because I only had one board and needed 6 equal pieces and that is what it divided out to. Necessity is the mother of invention.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/26/16 at 19:59:03

Donnie,
I suppose you could also try offsetting the rear facing one from the front one in the left-right plane, just to get the magnets a field width or more apart.
That would takes some symmetry out of the look but from the front I don't think it would be noticeable.
Anyway, your experimentation will tell much more than my guesses!  LOL.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #32 - 02/27/16 at 04:03:33

I finally have 2 speakers bolted together at the same time!
They are sounding pretty darn good. I have bass!
Both Alphas in each speaker are pointing forward and running full range.
It was cold out in my garage (I forgot to turn the heat back on after a few nice days) so I did all of the work in my stereo room. It wasn't conductive to quality work, I'm a little mad at myself on my fit and finish.
I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. I'm going to listen to some music now.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 02/27/16 at 13:10:53

It's a good feeling to have them both assembled, eh?  I end up rushing something every time.  I'm like a little kid.

Very interested I your thoughts on the alphas running wide open with the tang bands.

I have been using a little eq in audirvana to tame a couple hot spots in the tang bands. Not a lot.  Now getting the best sound ever.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #34 - 02/27/16 at 15:34:49

Photos:

I'm just going to play them as they are for a week or two just to get an idea of what they sound like.
Then I'm going to try out my crossovers, first on both Alphas, then on just one and then the other. I've also thought about wiring the Alphas out of phase, just because.
Once I've done that, I'll hack on the baffles to see if being non symmetrical will sound any better.
After I'm happy with the design, the work on permanent baffles will start, using something better than some glued together pine.
I'm still open for any suggestions on how to improve my design, everything helps me because I still don't have a clue of what I'm doing

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 02/27/16 at 16:03:34

Hi Donnie,

My guess is that your two woofers as configured are really only doing the work of one. Would seem to me that the back wave off the front woofer is effectively Canceled Out by the front wave of the rear woofer. So in effect what your are hearing is the Front wave off the front woofer and the rear wave off the rear woofer (the equivalent of one woofer).

After you have listened for a while, you could test this theory by simply removing the rear panel & woofer. If my theory holds true then you should have about the same bass output with the one Woofer.

DBC   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #36 - 02/27/16 at 17:05:08

DBC,
I will have to try that idea out.
I just tried wiring the rear speakers out of phase, that didn't work. Absolutely no bass, none, nada. Bad idea that I can check off of my list.
These things shake the house as they are right now. There is a surprising amount of bass.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 02/27/16 at 20:37:32

Quote:
Donnie wrote:

I will have to try that idea out.
I just tried wiring the rear speakers out of phase, that didn't work. Absolutely no bass, none, nada. Bad idea that I can check off of my list.
These things shake the house as they are right now. There is a surprising amount of bass.

Some thoughts. Based on my experience 3/4" thick baffle material is too unstable, it vibrates too easily. I can imagine that each speaker with twin baffles and twin 15" drivers are vibrating to some degree. If they are vibrating then they are producing sound separate from the drivers. So the baffles themselves become big speaker diaphragms. For proof of concept, 3/4" material is easy to work with but can have very negative effect on the sound quality.

Some of the perceived bass output you are hearing could be from the baffles themselves vibrating in harmony (in phase) with one another. Reversing phase on the rear driver may kill the bass since each baffle would be vibrating out of phase ????

You mention these things will shake the house. I suspect there is quite a bit of vibration being transmitted from the baffles to the floor and out to the side walls by virtue of them sitting directly on the floor. Only way to know for certain would be to sit them on isolation platforms.

I had a period where my floors & walls were vibrating. One would naturally assume this is due to sound waves from the speaker driver traveling through the air, hitting walls and exciting the room surfaces. I finally put the downfiring subs I used at the time on Isolation platforms and this eliminated floor & wall vibrations at high volumes.

Point being: if acoustic energy is being dispersed evenly out into the listening space in the form of sound waves, it's very difficult to make the floor & walls vibrate. On the other hand if you sit 4 Butt-Kickers on the floor (which the Alpha 15's basically are) then it's not too hard to see how the floor and walls would shake.

If your Baffles, Floor & Walls are all vibrating then they are producing sound independent of that coming out of the drivers themselves. Your Decware speakers are stout little suckers with materials and internal bracing specially designed to minimize cabinet ringing (not easy).

DBC   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #38 - 02/27/16 at 21:04:23

DBC,
I agree about the 3/4"  material being too thin, but like you said, it is good for proof of concept. I found someone in Mt Auburn that has some nice walnut and cherry that will plane some to 1.5" for me.
The next version will also have aluminum instead of wood spacers. My toolroom guys will take care of me.
The main reason the room is shaking is that I play music way too loud!
My floors and the walls up to 4' are concrete. I'm below ground in a bunker. The windows you see in my pictures are at ground level.
My quest is to have something that sounds like a live concert. I saw Ry Cooder a couple of weeks ago at The Sangamon Auditorium at UIS. The sound was great. The bass and the drums slammed you in the face. That is the effect I would like. I doubt that I can achieve it, but it is fun chasing the dragon.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 02/27/16 at 21:34:46

Quote:
Donnie wrote:

The main reason the room is shaking is that I play music way too loud! My floors and the walls up to 4' are concrete.

I can tell you if your walls are vibrating the primary cause is not how loud you play. Rather it's the mechanical transfer of vibration from the speakers to your floor and out to the walls. Concrete is worse than conventional wood construction. Scroll down in this link and they discuss concrete floors:

http://www.htguys.com/news/2010/12/5/auralex-subdude-video-review.html

I have a pair of Klipsch RF7 mains that I drive with a 220 watt Peachtree integrated amp. I can easily achieve 100 db continuous with this combination. With subs & mains sitting on proper isolation platforms I have minimal floor & wall vibration. Remove the isolation platforms and the room vibrates causing a reduction in sound quality (mainly loss of clarity & definition).

DBC   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #40 - 02/27/16 at 21:45:38

This Subdude looks interesting.
I have some of that foam lying around and a few sheets of plywood, saving me $100.
New project!!
Edit:
I've been following this hobby pretty closely for the last 10 or 15 years and there seems to be two sides to this vibration stuff.
One camp wants to isolate it from everything else, like this Subdude.
The other side wants to couple it to the earth's core with spikes to drain the energy into bedrock.
Is there a midpoint where we can all meet and hold hands while singing "We are the world"?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 02/27/16 at 23:03:57

I wouldn't worry about the way you have the woofers since they make a lot of bass together and very little (none) out of phase.

You think maybe the ground underneath the concrete damps it a wee bit.
I've never seen a driveway or road move like a suspension bridge no matter how windy (see link).

As always people disagree about what happens, why it happens, or if it even matters.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/28/16 at 00:45:38

Quote:
The other side wants to couple it to the earth's core with spikes to drain the energy into bedrock.

I keep hearing about "draining" vibration away through coupling and that is one thing they didn't teach in grad school.

If vibration is not wanted it either has to be avoided (isolation) or damped out (turned into heat energy through visco-elastic damping/coupling).  I don't know another way.  Spikes do neither.  They are not vibration reducing or isolating devices.  I think some people think they look cool and that's why they are used in audio.  Nobody is putting spikes under machinery that they want to isolate from vibrational effects.  There are many Internet links to sights debunking the spike "myth."

I think the subdudes use a combination of isolation and damping since they are both a spring (springy) and damping compound.  They inevitably let though some vibration depending on their natural frequency of vibration.  They work because total vibration isn't always needed.

Sorry for the sermon but this keeps coming up.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #43 - 02/28/16 at 01:12:33

For two new machining centers we just put in at the factory that I work at, we used 160,00 lbs of steel and over 150 trucks of concrete in it's foundation. Maybe that is what I need to do for these speakers.
I'm going to try putting some water pipe foam insulation on the bottoms of the baffles and see what it does. Cheap, direct, and easy.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 02/28/16 at 01:20:25

Quote:
Spikes are for carpeted floors right?

I think the idea is to reach through the carpet to couple directly to the solid flooring underneath.  Seems like the oposite of what you'd want to do if you believe in isolating speakers.

Vibration isolation really gets obvious if you study how big telescopes deal with vibration.  They can't tolerate vibration on the order of fractions of the wavelength of light!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #45 - 02/28/16 at 16:48:09

I'm really enjoying these speakers now.
Their sound is intoxicating.
Probably if I did any kind of testing they would measure way wrong.
But to my ears they sound pretty good, not as good as HR1's, but pretty good in their own way.
I'm going over to Lowe's in a bit to pick up some of those foam snakes that are used to insulate water pipes so I can see if decoupling them from the floor does anything .
Experimentation is fun.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #46 - 02/28/16 at 18:01:30

Foam installed, speakers are now isolated from the floor.

I will listen to this for a while and see if there is any difference.
The total cost was less than $4.00.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 02/28/16 at 20:58:21

Quote:
Foam installed, speakers are now isolated from the floor.

Have you noticed a change in the bass?  Since you already have the pad and carpet you may not be getting much extra isolation from the foam.  I never had much luck with foam type isolation on my solid wood supports and flooring.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #48 - 02/28/16 at 21:54:07

Archie,
I'm not really hearing anything different.
The only thing I have discovered is that my speaker wire will buzz aganst my desk. My speaker wire is kind of stiff. Time for a reroute.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #49 - 03/01/16 at 23:43:34

I'm trying to work up the nerve to install the low pass filters into these speakers. Should I waste my time doing it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print