Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 14:04:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZDSD USE ADVICE FOR NEWBIE (Read 6084 times)
i8on
Verified Member

ZDSD USE ADVICE FOR NEWBIE
10/14/15 at 21:23:05

After saving up for a year I finally have this DAC on order! I need advise from current users on how best to use it to play my CD collection: Digital out from a Rega Saturn as transport, create audio file of CDs with a laptop and put on SD card, or record CD conected analog to ZDSD to create a dsd file on SD card?

IP Logged
BillO
Verified Member

Re: ZDSD USE ADVICE FOR NEWBIE
Reply #1 - 10/16/15 at 19:27:37

You will find about 16 pages of discussion under General Discussion and Support. A number of regular users have taken the journey and experimented with different approaches. All the ones you list will work. You may not find all comments relevant but at least read Steve's comments. He recommends recording to the SD card in DSD for the best sound. You should also experiment with sampling and levels for playback. -20 is best for most Decware amps but you may need to back that off a bit and/or reduce input levels. Keep in mind that the ZDSD is based on a Pro Sound device and has a lot of features you may never use. I've had mine for 6 months and the only thing I can tell you for sure is it blows away all my previous DACS, some very expensive and highly rated. Enjoy.

IP Logged
i8on
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/20/15 at 21:46:37

thank you BillO
i will read the discussion you recommend. Regarding your recommendation to record to SD card in DSD: i never did this so may i ask how to do this? Via analgue connection to ZDSD? Hearing your praise definately amps my anticipation!

IP Logged
BillO
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/31/15 at 05:09:15

Sorry to take so long to reply. Haven't been back to this thread for a while. You can record by bringing in an analog signal OR a digital signal. Then choose the recording format you want. This is all built into the Tascam Pro unit the ZDSD is based on. The Tascam is a versatile studio recorder which is their forte. Steve's contribution is to modify the unit so it also has a killer output section for real audiophile playback quality.

IP Logged
i8on
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/02/15 at 15:04:48

Thank you Billo, I also only check his forum sporadically so no worry regarding response time Wink
I find these capabilities facinating and i wonder if recording a dsd file via anaolg signal and digital  44.1k, 16 bit cd signal actually sounds better than direct play from cd player directly feeding it a digital signal....Have you tested this yet?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print