Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 21:47:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best mains fuses for SE84c+ triode?... (Read 25931 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Best mains fuses for SE84c+ triode?...
10/11/15 at 23:43:03

Hello, all... It's been a long time since I've been on here... Been enjoying my Decware amplifier; however, upon trying to power it up this afternoon, I discovered the mains fuse was blown...

I snapped open the compartment, took out the blown fuse, and found the spare, and now the amp seems to be fine... Question: What is the best type/value of fuse to use as a replacement in the SE84 C+ amp?...

Note: I always worry a bit when a fuse blows... I used the amp last night and everything was OK... But today it wouldn't power up... Checked the fuse, and sure enough, it was blackish and blown...

Question: Is it possible at all to blow a mains fuse when the amp is off?...  I wouldn't think the fuse is in circuit until the power switch is on, right?... May be wrong about this... Never really thought about it...

Is it possible to blow a mains fuse without there being anything wrong with the amp?...

Any info at all would be appreciated, and thank you in advance...  (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Re: Best mains fuses for SE84c+ triode?...
Reply #1 - 10/12/15 at 12:40:09

My estimate would be that it blew the instant you switched it on again, so no it would not blow when powered off, but just "appeared" that way the fuse acted so fast.
The power-on surge is what normally takes out a fuse. That being said, something bad is obviously happening to take out two fuses so close together. Maybe someone with a similar amp will chime in with experience as to what could be happening. A tube going bad would be my guess.
I don't have that amp so I would just say to look in the manual and use the exact recommended fuse replacement.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/12/15 at 14:00:56

Thanks, Core... Just to clarify: Only one fuse blew... I would agree that if a second fuse blows within any short period of time, that it would indicate a problem with the amplifier...

I want to say, that in all my years of audio, I never blew a mains fuse... I know that sounds kind of strange, but it's true... So when this one blew, it sort of raised a red flag...

Note: I live in an apt. building with aluminum wiring that has been in place for almost 40 yrs. I noticed that when I switch on even relatively new light bulbs, they sometimes burn out instantly upon switching them on... Perhaps the same thing happened to my amp?... Although I've had it for a few years now, and this never happened before, and it's been plugged into the same place all along...

All the tubes seem OK... The 5U4G rectifier is still lit up, and the amp works fine right now... I had it on for about two hours last night...

I need to know the best fuse for this unit [SE84c+]... Slow blow?... Fast blow?... Any one type better than any other types?... ???...  (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/12/15 at 14:24:50

Stop the presses!... I just turned the unit on this morning, and the rectifier lit up blue like a X-mas tree, and the fuse blew... It could be the 5U4G rectifier... I have a spare rectifier tube, but now I have no fuses...

I'm going down to Radio Shack to get some 3A 250 V fuses in the right size... I used a magnifying glass to check the fuse designation... I hope it's just the rectifier tube... If so, everything may be alright... I'll get back on this shortly... (m.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/12/15 at 14:56:00

Nine times out of ten when I've lost a fuse it's been a rectifier tube going south that caused it. I bet you're good to go with a new tube and a new fuse!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/12/15 at 15:06:54

Mark,  sounds like you should invest in a power conditioner/surge protector for your gear.  Protect your investment.  I personally use Running Springs Audio power conditioners...I have a Jaco and a Haley.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/12/15 at 15:37:09

Lon: OK... Back from RS... Got some 3 amp 250V 'slow blow' fuses... Cleaned up the fuse compartment, set in the spare and hot fuse... Put in a new 5U 4G  rectifier, and fired her up... She's on now for a few minutes, and no problem so far...

Mark 58:  I think you're right, and I've always wanted some kind of AC conditioning... I guess it's time to start saving up... (m.)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/12/15 at 15:42:15

Mark, do some research to decide what you want, then buy used.  There are some incredible deals in the after market...audiogon, headfi, US audiomart, ebay, etc...  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/12/15 at 15:51:01

Follow-up:  OK... I've got it all fired up with my Decware CDP playing some pretty heavy orchestral march music... So far, everything seems to be OK...

Thanks...  PS: Maybe I need some better rectifiers... I've been using the standard Chinese 'Ruby' 5U4g's... They sound good to my ears, but may not be the best out there... Any suggestions?...  (m.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/12/15 at 15:55:50

Mark, I've been using RCA rectifiers for a long time and really like them, the 5U4G type (especially in the bottle shape) are easy to find on ebay and give a nice subtle warmth to the sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/12/15 at 16:01:44

Thanks, Lon... I do tend to like a more analytical sound... I've spent so many years with a set of headphones on, listening directly through mic preamps to some very revealing condenser microphones... I think that defined what I consider HI FI, although most people think of it as bright...

At any rate, I'm open to try anything, as long as my budget doesn't get busted...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 10/12/15 at 16:12:37

Well, those rectifiers won't take away the analytical aspects you like. Lots of possibilities out there, and generally inexpensively. Most old stock rectifiers will work well in the Zen amps, and there are also a few new ones to try, for example the Valve Art 274B which Steve was sending with amps more recently. . . .

It's great news that you are back in the tube glow!

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/12/15 at 16:47:41

Lon: I have a VA 274b here that I've been putting in from time-to-time...

Note: Just barely fits without hitting the mains X-former!...

The sound is good... I think we may have had a conversation about this over a year ago... I like the tube, but I find it better for pop music,  studio produced stuff, etc...

At any rate, the amp is fine... That's a load off my brain... I can't live without my music... I'll muck around on eBay for awhile and see if anything catches my eye... (m.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 10/12/15 at 17:28:03

Ah, yes, I like the 274B but do find it better for those type of music compared to acoustic instruments. . . though it is somewhat system/amp dependent, they did sound best in my Torii Mk II for almost any type of music, that is an interesting amp, different than the Cs and the Mk IIIs. And yeah, tight fit!

Lots of tubes to explore! Let us know your impressions if you purchase some.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/13/15 at 00:39:32

Mark,

The rectifier flashing before blowing the second fuse corroborates Lon's thought about the failing rectifier being the most common fuse blower. Probably need to get that new rectifier soon.

I have never liked Ruby's. They are clean and open, but also lacking in nuance. If you look for RCA 5U4G-STs, though this may not always be the case, I have found the 50s ones with the top/side getters pretty open and transparent, while also being very good at subtle/micro information. Some find even them too dark, and some other versions are darker, but I like the top getter versions I have a lot...loads of fine detail.

Quite open and extended in general is an RCA, GE or Tungsol 5R4GY, the later my favorite, all coke bottle shape. When folks don't like these it is usually that they are too sterile for them. To me they have more character than the Ruby, doing most of what it does better. Might be right based on what you say you like???

I can't seem to take the Mazda GZ32/5V4Gs out of my Torii MKIV, but they are only ones I have tried of this type that I love in this amp and setting. Open, detailed, neutral and rich without sounding dark. For my tastes, many 5V4Gs are a little too lean on top and warmish on bottom in the balance by comparison. I think all of the above are more open and transparent than my memory of the Valve Art 274B.

I am guessing that if the ruby is really good there, and you want to take a step out, one of the above 5R4GYs might be a winner for you, and a relatively inexpensive risk on Ebay. The other 5R4s I have tried are all warmer.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/13/15 at 12:21:25

Mark, I'll weigh in on the rectifier discussion.  My experience isn't extensive but in my 2.3 WPC Zen Signature Monoblocks, I use a pair of top getter 50's RCA 5U4Gs.  The previous owner had used 40's double bottom getter Ken Rad 5U4Gs which I immediately moved to my Torii MK IV. I like both but the best value, maybe the cheapest NOS option, is the 50's RCA top getter 5u4Gs.  I also tried a pair of 40's RCA double bottom getter 5R4GY rectifiers.  I preferred the less expensive, more common RCAs.  Compared to the 5R4GY the RCA 5U4Gs are richer and warmer, the 5R4GY brighter but by no means bad.  I think your personal preference in regards to presentation (sound) as well as choice of input and output tubes and other gear will greatly effect your results.  

By the way I also use the Valve Art 274B in my CSP3...works well.  It might be time to try something else though.  Mark.

PS...this discussion moved me to put a 50's RCA 5U4G in my CSP3 just now.  There have been many changes in my main system since I last tried a 5U4G there.  I solved problems that had previously been present.  I think this rectifier will do well.  If it does, I may pop for a 40's bottom getter version.  Now all I have to do is find the time for a listening session.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/13/15 at 14:15:18

Will: Nice to be back on here... I will say that I never gave a lot of thought to rectifier choice... Although I'm learning on here that it does make a difference...

I stuck with the cheaper Chinese 5u4G because I thought it sounded neutral... That was my only criteria at the time... I'm the kind of person, that once I find a decent tube-set, I'll stick with that for fear of doing worse if I change them...

That said, many people do not like the type of sound I like... It's the same reason many recordists are modding their mics to cut some of the top end... But that stuff at the top contains a lot of acoustic information... I mean, upper partials of instruments, odd harmonics, the timbral personality of instruments, etc. IMO, if you want that 'in the room' sound, you want as much acoustic information as possible coming through the loudspeakers or headphones... And I know a lot of people who would not want to go that whole route, because it is not necessarily an easy listening experience...

As soon as more money rolls in early next month, I'm going to try a few of the rectifiers you mentioned... Esp. if I can get them at some kind of reasonable price... (m.)

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/13/15 at 14:28:17

Mark(58): I'm glad to hear you are getting into the subtle [and not so subtle] differences a rectifier tube can make in your gear... Of course, the gear itself is impressive to start with...

I'm looking for what most people would call an analytical sound, although I feel that that descriptive is somewhat shy of explaining the whole experience of what I'm looking for...

Remember the sound of some of the early stereo LPs, where the engineer was obviously reveling in the fact that, not only was there [now] this new way to record, but they were also using mics like the Altec 'pinhead' condenser mic in pairs... And it sounded, like, very 'in the room'... It was a revelation, really... Well, that is the sound I usually shoot for...  

[see:] http://www.coutant.org/altec21b/index.html

I guess I'll be trying a 50's RCA 5U4G very soon... I'll follow up with a report on that, although it'll be a few weeks until then... (m.)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 10/13/15 at 17:34:14

Mark,  I'm giving you some links that may help you find that rectifier with just the right sound.  I'm not good at describing what I hear but these posts do it well. Mark.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-re...

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/24/248138.html

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/13/15 at 19:15:25

Thanks, Mark... That first link seems really good... I'll peruse it this evening... Note: I think the WE is out of my range!... (m.)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 10/14/15 at 05:57:44

Mark,

I agree on the critical nature of subtle musical information. One of my first revelations in this way was putting two .048 bypass caps on my HR-1 Tweeter, one skipping the resistor and 3.3 cap, and one parallel to the 3.3. Rather than getting "brighter" the sound opened and increased micro complexity, softening what I was perceiving as brightness. It seems it was frequency focused "hardness" from lack of adjacent information increasing textures and softening edges.

I hear what Mark58 is talking about in 5R4GYs "brightness," but they too vary, and as Mark says, it all depends on what it is with, everything in the system effecting everything else.

This is why I am comparing only rectifier tendencies with a reference of your preferences for analytical/open/spacious/neutrality, based on the Chinese Ruby. Of the 5R4GYs I have tried, they go from very clean (the GE I have) to a too-warm for me Phillips I had. But I work toward the player in the room feel too, and characteristic to many 5R4s is an open spaciousness that lets you into the live feel...thus my thoughts as a possible alternative to the Ruby.

I did some quick/limited tests changing the rectifier in my CSP3. With my current somewhat rich sounding, but very revealing tube set the Shuguang/Ruby type actually surprised me, sounding quite good... It is quite open, though a little rigid in the mids, and a little mid biased, but for the first time I really "heard" it. Nice. And with your experience in serious listening and preferences, I think getting a new Shuguang is a valid choice, another rectifier having some risk since they play an important part of the sound in your very simple amp.

I put in an RCA 5U4G-ST with a top/side D getter, and to me it is more extended and neutral than the Chinese tube, but as expected it is a bit warmer causing a slightly less pronounced sense of open spaciousness in the more outward expression, but with more complexity/textures/nuance, giving fine information the Ruby does not provide. Also no slight mid edge or emphasis. I am always impressed with this tube... extended, balanced, neutral, warmish, spacious, detailed and complex all at once....at least here. It is just a very competent rectifier when it works.

Then I put in another 50s RCA 5U4... same construction, and it was a bit more spacious and dynamic than the first RCA, otherwise very similar, illustrating the variation of slight vintage and production shifts.

Next a light-brown base RCA 5R4GY with a single/bottom/side D getter...the D is vertical. A bit warmer feel than the Ruby, though quite spacious...similar openness with more extension both ways, a touch more on top in the balance. It is more complex and neutral feeling than the Ruby to me, also more musical, having a rounder, more natural sound...in this setting, it feels more organic and complex. With some time and searching these can be inexpensive.

The GE I have has a light brown base and double bottom/side getters floating horizontally on each side. It is musical with this warmish tube set, but leaner mid-mids up... less neutral, though this can be useful if needed.

Next a Tungsol 5R4GY. A dark brown base, the double/bottom/side D getters, horizontal and wired one above the other on one side. This is more extended than the other 5R4s, slightly warm, fast, spacious, articulate, and nicely balanced. This is a nice tube, but they are also more expensive...harder to get.

Thinking of Tungsol, I remembered some Chatham 5R4WGY I used for quite a long time in the Torii MkIII, the W signifying an "eggbeater" base in which the glass sets. Weird looking, but a very stable/solid tube. It just sounds well-made. More extended on bottom and more neutral than the RCA 5R4GY (with its more open/airy upper mids), the Chatham is the warmer of these 5R4s. It is nicely extended, dynamic and open, going lower than the Ruby...nice mids... a nice tube. Like the RCA 5U4G-ST, a bit more warmth. These are very inexpensive with a little searching.

From this limited test, with these settings and tubes, I think the RCA 5R4GY is closest in general presentation to the Ruby, especially similar in that open mid/upper mid spaciousness, but probably a little more open throughout and more natural/organic sounding to me. Probably a good bet for an alternative.

The Chatham less airy, but once you get used to it, you may get better bass, timbre and neutrality, and it is an inexpensive experiment. This too can be a really nice tube.

Or is it the Tungsol 5R4GY? Beautiful tube! The one I have been using a lot lately in this position.

The RCA 5U4G-ST with top/side D getter is a real winner also in this test. It is warmish, but quite evenly balanced, and if your system is revealing, it lets you hear a lot of what is deeper in the recording.

With your very specific needs and simple system it is hard to guess, but I hope these impressions help. Given the right setting, these are all nice tubes. With my more complex tube setup (8 positions pre and amp) I have more flexibility. I am leaving in the RCA 5R4GY for now to see how it holds up. Most times it has been a bit too open and clean for me, but right now it is beautiful. The tonally similar Ruby has never sounded as good in my system, but I like the more nuanced and natural vibe of RCA personally.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/14/15 at 13:55:18

Will: Very nuanced presentation of what a rectifier can do... I trusted that I knew what I was hearing with the Ruby; however, having now blown one, I might be looking for a sturdier version of the same tube... I mean, the same type of sound... I think I have heard some of the shortcomings of the Ruby that you listed... But I go for overall musicality... And of course, that means my perception of what a musical experience is...

If you don't mind, I'm going to copy and paste your last post into my notes... It would make a good reference... (m.)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/14/15 at 15:55:31

Don't mind at all Mark. There are of course many more, but these came to mind as good sound potential at relatively good values. The tricky thing is that the rectifier has a pretty powerful influence on the sound, especially in a revealing system, which I suspect yours is. So the same tube tendencies in two sonic settings could be beneficial or not to each particular balance. If you branch out, you may get lucky and have it dialed right in, or you may need to explore some.

Do you ever change the input or power tubes? A combination of subtle/quality shifts is a good tool for integrating something that is ALMOST right.

I thought of a perhaps more select Shuguang also...maybe there is one out there, like Tube Amp Doctor or something. I know some folks preferred the Select Shuguang 274B.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/14/15 at 16:21:27

Will: I exclusively use the Russian 6P 15P EV tubes for output, and a single 1958/59 Amperex Bugle Boy 6 DJ 8 'D' getter tube for the front end...

The Amperex tube is my favorite... Again, for overall musicality... It's the only tube I really splurge on...  (m.)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/14/15 at 16:37:10

That makes sense from your descriptions Mark. That late 50s Bugle Boy is a really nice tube...warm, but with great texture and micro information! This helps explain why the Ruby sounds so good. I am exploring a Telefunken E88CC in front of the CSP now... denser sound, but sharing traits of the D getter Bugle Boy and its way of doing richness with clarity is part of what makes these rectifiers I tested so nice.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/14/15 at 21:58:57

I use a Telefunken 12 au7 smooth plate tube for the output of my Decware CDP... Also an Amperex Bugle Boy 12 at 7 with d foil getter... The 12 at 7 sounds a bit more defined on top end, the Telefunken a bit smoother...

Each imparts its own signature to the music...

As far as the BB 6DJ 8 'D' getter, it does classical music better than anything I've heard so far... It has definition and depth, but also adds a nice 'burnish' to the music... And let's face it: A single ended tube amp also adds its own artifacts to the music... But they are aesthetically pleasing to most people... (m.)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 10/14/15 at 22:23:25

Yes, well done tubes are hard to beat for me. Rather than chasing some concept of "accuracy" I prefer working toward a live, lucid, natural, balanced presentation across the many recording styles.....more working to use our tubes to pull the life out of all recordings. I prefer the reference of how "players in the room" sound. Seems to be becoming more and more possible as I learn more.

I am glad you have a good selection of balancing options is case you dig into rectifiers.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 10/19/15 at 16:57:25

I need to do a follow-up here, because there are some recent developments...  The upshot is that I have burned out 3 Shuguang / Ruby 5U4G rectifiers and mains fuses in the last week...

Between blow-outs, the amp plays normally for about 10 hrs.  Then when I power up, the rectifier flashes/sparks and/or shows blue on top...

Now here's the kicker: I have a Valve Art 274B rectifier that I hardly use, because I wasn't exactly crazy about the sound signature in my amp...

I put it in, and so far it is showing no problems...

What confuses me here is that I've been using the Shuguang 5U4G rectifiers since I got the amp, and I've put roughly 20,000 hrs. on the amp so far, and it's always done OK with those tubes...

Could something be changing in the amp after all those hours that is precluding me from using the Shuguang 5U4G's?...

Bear in mind that I've not put a lot of play time on the VA 274b... Perhaps it will blow, too... And all this is beginning to look like it will prompt a round trip to Decware to sort it all out... ???... (m.)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 10/19/15 at 17:04:30

Agree Mark, send it to the Mother ship for  an intergalactic probing...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 10/19/15 at 17:07:02

Mark,

Sorry to hear that it sounds like you are having trouble other than the rectifiers. I think it is time to call Steve for some expert troubleshooting.

Good Luck!

Will

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 10/19/15 at 18:05:24

Yes...Agreed... Need to check out the company policy on this and all...

More later...

And, yes... I've become a lot more pragmatic about these things over the years... I'm sure I'll get it all straightened out... Probing?... Ha!...

And, of course, if I need music in the mean time, I'll work on my piano pieces... (m.)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 10/19/15 at 18:13:52

Mark, fill this out and put it in with the Amp.  When I sent in my Torii I didn't send the cord or tubes.  The second link is all the contact #s...Maybe start with an email or phone call to Sarah.  Mark.

PS...no back up Amp?  Mark, there are lots of new ones recently...just saying! Smiley

https://www.decware.com/newsite/service.html

https://www.decware.com/newsite/contacts.html

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 10/19/15 at 21:57:30

Thanks, Mark... I'm going to have to wait until the end of the month to actually physically send the amp back, as I think I'll be on the hook for shipping to Decware, and I'm pretty tapped out at the moment...

This might also be a good time to send my Decware CD player in, as I wanted separate L+R output pots put on it...

You know, I've got some extra $ coming in a few months, and I'm really drooling over Decware's new Zen triode with the UFO X-formers... So, perhaps I might leave my current amp with Steve to recertify for warranty under new owner, and go for the current offering...

Money, money, money...  (m.)

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 10/20/15 at 21:37:06

Mark,
Are fuses still blowing when the rectifier goes? And are you using the 3A slow blow fuse value?
The main difference between the two tube types is the resulting rectified plate voltage and the value of choke or capacitor that the rectifier output side can safely interface with.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 10/20/15 at 23:04:39

Core: So far, yes, I've been using the 3A slow blow 250 V fuses... To date, I've blown three fuses and three Shuguang 5U4G rectifiers...

However, I still have the Valve Art 274B rectifier in the amp, and it hasn't blown a fuse or blown itself out yet... It seems to be working fine... It's just that I prefer the sound of the 5U4G in my amp...

The thing that confuses me is that I've always used the Shuguang 5U4G in the amp, and it worked for 20,000 hrs. or so... But now it blows a fuse and shortly later the tube clouds blue, sparks, then eventually blows as well...

Could the amp be entering a phase in its life where the 5U4G is inherently unstable in the amp right now?... I've never heard of such a thing, but, hey, stranger things have happened in my 40-some odd years in audio... ???...  (m.)

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 10/20/15 at 23:24:43

Mark,
That's my speculation, but only a guess since I do not know the exact power supply design of your amp.
If I hadn't spent a couple of months last spring designing my own tube power supply I wouldn't have a clue, and still may not.  :)
If the first filter component at the output of the rectifier is aging badly for some reason (defect, usage, heat, line surge, etc.) then one rectifier variety could certainly be more/less susceptible to failure.
Since this is happening repeatedly, and as you have already mentioned, I would get it back to Steve as soon as funds are available for the safety of the other components in the amp chain.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 10/20/15 at 23:49:28

Right... Best advice, it would seem... Don't relish not having recorded music around for the turn-around time, but...

As I previously said, it might be a good time for me to work on my piano pieces...

I'll do a follow-up on all this as it progresses... (m.)

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 10/22/15 at 21:11:57

Just spoke to Steve on the phone, and he thinks it was just a bad run of rectifiers... Especially since the amp seems to be working fine with the VA 274B... I've put over 20 hrs. on the amp with that rectifier, and it's doing fine...

He did recommend an RCA or GE 5U4G to put in the amp... I think I'll be checking eBay this eve.

Question: If I wanted to go all out and order the new 'UFO' triode, how much do you think I could sell the 84C+ for?... I mean, I could do it on here, right?... (m.)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 10/22/15 at 21:52:07

Mark,  since it was the same chinese rectifiers that were blowing....I was thinking the same thing.  I even tried doing a search for their reliability but got distracted to something else and didn't get back to it...hope that's it.

If you give me the whole model number for your amp and year it was made I bet I could find some past sales to give you an idea of it's resale value.

PS Mark I did a search see below...and it seems they have sold between $600 and $500 dollars in the recent past...there is a WTB ad in Sept.  mark.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?action=search2

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 10/22/15 at 22:03:54

Mark: It was, of course the SE84C+, and it was right at the very end of its production run... So close that the next person in line to get that amp opted for the CKC model in black... I stuck with the white model, feeling that that was the safest bet as far as having been vetted thoroughly by Decware at that point... (m.)

Added: Mark, that link is inoperative on this end...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 10/22/15 at 22:05:44

Mark see my PS above...500 to 600 dollars.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print