Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 23:21:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Determining an appropriate SET ouput power for ZOB (Read 2496 times)
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Determining an appropriate SET ouput power for ZOB
10/22/15 at 20:05:35

Hi, I need some assistance. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good SET match for my ZOB speakers.

I have a Rega Apollo CD player which I've read has 2.175 volt RMS output.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/rega-apollo-cd-player-measurements#YZbZaGDrU5...

The amp I use is rated at 20WPC into 8ohms maximum, and has an input sensitivity of (I think) 600mV. With my preamp set at -15db on the volume control, I can drive the speakers to about 86db average with 94db peaks (based on a free iPhone SPL meter app), which is quite a bit louder than my average listening level.

Is it correct to calculate the amplifier's voltage gain in this way:

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.htm

power in Watts = output in volts^2/speaker nominal resistance in ohms
ZOBs with FRX2 drivers are rated 8ohms, and
Sugden A21ap amp is rated 20WPC into 8ohms, so at 600mV input:
20 = V^2/8
160 = V^2
V = 12.649V

And, using this:

http://eaw.com/docs/6_Technical_Information/StudyHall_and_TechNotes/dB_calculati...

My preamp is attenuating the Rega from 2.175V to an amplifier input voltage of:

Volts(input) = 10^(dB/20) x volts@0dBu (0.775)
V(i) = 10^(-15/20) x 0.775
V(i) = 10^(-0.75) x 0.775
V(i) = 0.137817 or 137 mV

If the amp's gain is linear, then I am using 137/600mV to hit a quite loud listening volume. I know an amp needs some healthy headroom, but does this mean that I am effectively "using":

output voltage at very high listening levels = 137/600 * 12.649V
V(o) = 2.888V

Say we give that value a healthy 100% headroom:

2.888*2 = 5.776 V(o)

and therefore a suitable SET amp power rating would be:

W(set) = V^2/R
W(set) = 5.776^2/8
W(set) = 4.17

So, a ~4 watt SET would be enough to drive these speakers to absolutely ridiculous volume? Does that all add up? That seems way too low, but if it's right, then I could choose say an 801A or 300B output tube with an appropriate driver, and stay out of 845/GM70 territory, which would be extreme overkill.

Right, or wrong?

Decware ZOB / Vandersteen 2wq / Sugden A21ap / Promitheus TVC / Rega Saturn / PS Audio P300
  IP Logged
tom.gnade
Verified Member

Re: Determining an appropriate SET ouput power for ZOB
Reply #1 - 10/22/15 at 22:45:46

I suppose all that stuff depends entirely on what "0 db" means on a Denon receiver preamp section. I assumed it was the "reference voltage" of 0.775 volts, but if it is instead the maximum voltage of the source, 2.175 V, then that means the amp is driving about 8.31 watts at that output level.

I wish there were a more precise way to measure all this - probably need a test tone and an oscilloscope to get an accurate measure of audio output at the line level. Maybe some of you could just share what wattage SET amps might work with a 94dB 1W/1m speaker.

Decware ZOB / Vandersteen 2wq / Sugden A21ap / Promitheus TVC / Rega Saturn / PS Audio P300
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Determining an appropriate SET ouput power for ZOB
Reply #2 - 10/22/15 at 23:11:08

Tom, I think all the Decware Amps will work with a 94 dB sensitivity speaker.  I have a pair of 2.3 WPC Zen Signature Monoblocks that work with Omega Alinco 7XRS speakers rated at 93 dB that give me more than enough volume.  I like my Zu Audio "Soul" speakers better...rated at 98 or 99 dB. Both @ 8 ohm. Mark.

PS...Tom, I should add that the Taboo MK III is a great Amp for my Audeze  LCD 2 headphones but doesn't drive speakers well for some reason.  The Omegas were lacking in usable volume and I can't say I liked how it drove my Souls either.  For me the Taboo MK III (4.6 WPC) is strictly a headphone amp.  With that exception all Decware Amps should work.  A phone call to Steve would confirm this.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print