Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:41:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on using SE34I.2+ with 83dB speakers... (Read 3591 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Thoughts on using SE34I.2+ with 83dB speakers...
10/01/15 at 11:51:22

As per my post on the old SE34I.2 forums (https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1438854481/0#0), I have been using my SE34I.2+ in my bedroom for late night listening.  Driving Rega RS-1 speakers at 89-90db @1w1m, this can get quite loud and even keeping the volume at around 9 o'clock sometimes forces me to cut the volume further down at the source (streaming music from iTunes from my main system or TIDAL) which I do not prefer.

I am planning to buy a set of Graham Audio's 83dB / 15-ohm LS3/5 speakers.  The LS3/5 is one of BBC's monitors which is re-produced by few companies under license and Graham is one of them, maybe the best.

So now, my question is whether my SE34I.2+ would push all frequencies evenly to such low-efficiency speakers across the audible range.  Most probably, no one has experience with this; I know.  But is the reaction of a two-way 89dB speaker similar to a two-way 83dB speaker with the exception that the latter would require 4 times more watts to reach the same SPL?

I know this sounds like a weird question, but any comments, suggestions, or brainstorming would be appreciated.

Best,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Thoughts on using SE34I.2+ with 83dB speakers...
Reply #1 - 10/05/15 at 01:07:38

I have got to say, that is a pretty big difference between the two sets of speakers. In my thinking, I would vote no, in spite of the fact that you are listening at low levels, and in a small room. The fact that the new speakers are at 15 ohms (if THAT is their lowest impedance), would worry me most in the way of loudness. Certainly, it would no problem as far as a load to the amp, but that still might not give Rachael the chance to breath.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print