Send Topic Print
ULTRA-LINEAR (Read 14261 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

ULTRA-LINEAR
05/18/15 at 18:19:06

As some of you have noticed with the Mystery Amp, and now possibly the coming TORII JR., I am doing work with Ultra-Linear transformers despite bashing them in my original design papers for the original TORII. Since ultra-linear is a form of feedback my purist tunnel vision of 20 years ago steered me away from it.

I had a uniquely good listening room in the 90's that is responsible for me starting Decware. I spent 10 years listening in it every night from 10:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M. and used that time to form my opinions on how things should sound. (single, self employed and no neighbors made such a thing possible)

It was actually four rooms that were interconnected together with large openings. Below is an illustration of the room.

I had a visual line of sight that extended 30 feet behind the speakers. I became addicted to sound stage depth.

I found typical use of negative feedback destroys sound stage depth, preventing it from reaching the pink zone above. The difference between Ultra-linear and non-ultra-linear was making small differences in the pink zone. This was 20 years ago and my amps have evolved considerably since then and I have also realized that in 20 years, 10,000 customers, 54 countries, only 6 people have a room that even comes close to the above illustration, therefor the pink zone will never be experienced by 99.9% of our customers. This is why after the great success of my Zen Mystery Amp, I have been revisiting ultra-linear designs.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: ULTRA-LINEAR
Reply #1 - 05/18/15 at 19:34:35

Steve, am I misreading this, or are you saying the ZMA is already an Ultralinear design?

If that's the case, is there no plan for UFO upgrades for the ZMA?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 05/18/15 at 20:16:39

Or maybe he's saying that since he's reached this pinnacle with the ZMA he's now turning towards exploration of ultralinear amplification.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 05/18/15 at 22:32:42

The ZMA is an ultra-linear design, yes. The only way it will ever see a redesign of it's output transformers is if some other Decware amp proves to sound better as a result of UFO transformers.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/18/15 at 22:54:50

Sounds like a challenge. C'mon Torii IV! Cheesy

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/19/15 at 00:02:23

Wow, I did not know that the ZMA was UL ... What about the Torii Mono's then?

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 05/19/15 at 00:10:06

Would this explain the slight (but tangible) transparency advantage of the Super Zen vs the ZMA? Or is it only soundstage depth related?

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/15 at 00:46:28

Yes, the Torii Monos have Ultra Linear output stages...as per the features on the product page.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/19/15 at 00:56:02

Thanks Mark I never noticed that ... perhaps because they are out of my price range I just never went too deep within the specs! Grin

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/19/15 at 01:54:49

My experience is that it depends on the amp/speaker combination (among other things).  I have heard the ZMA sound more detailed and musical than the CKC and vice versa.  It’s easier for humans to group things, Class A vs. Class D, SET vs. Push/Pull.  Trust your ears…these are very complex systems…and generalizations often don’t apply.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/19/15 at 02:02:32

Agreed

Wink

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #11 - 05/19/15 at 12:51:42

Right, I see. This brings me some hope to lift the Mini Torii up to par in microdetail-transparency through all the mods in sight. I also need to explore some more tube-rolling in the high end of the tube market segment. Thanks!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 05/20/15 at 02:56:07

Quote:
My experience is that it depends on the amp/speaker combination (among other things).  I have heard the ZMA sound more detailed and musical than the CKC and vice versa.  It’s easier for humans to group things, Class A vs. Class D, SET vs. Push/Pull.  Trust your ears…these are very complex systems…and generalizations often don’t apply.

Agreed.

When I brought my ZMA to ProgRobs room, he was grinning like an idiot over the grunt of the ZMA, and Palomino and I were draw-dropped over the layering and detail of his CKCS.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #13 - 05/20/15 at 03:11:17

Like I've said, if I had to choose between the Zen and the ZMA, I wouldn't.  I'd buy both!

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/20/15 at 17:24:57

I like how you think ProggRob!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #15 - 05/20/15 at 18:16:46

Oh yeah, my SE84CS runs my Modified Adagio's nicely. I still love the little bugger. Do own both, life is short.

I hope Steve makes the 6C33C Mono-blocks. Right now, I'm eyeing these Quicksilver's. However, I want Steve's design and SE Triode. 14 to 22 watts per channel is plenty.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-quicksilver-triodes-6c33c-mono-amps-2015-0...

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/20/15 at 22:28:57

Those look pretty nice!

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 05/21/15 at 16:13:48

Yeah Pal, they are very tempting. However, when you own a ZMA....I don't need those.

However, I want single tube 6C33C output from the mind of Steve.
The 6C33C, can be a bit fickle. But, very worth taming it.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3