04/25/24 at 18:50:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roon Labs (Read 18244 times)
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Roon Labs
04/13/15 at 23:44:00

Will this new software revolutionize how we interact with our computers for audio?

I guess we'll just have to wait and find out...

http://blog.roonlabs.com

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Re: Roon Labs
Reply #1 - 04/14/15 at 05:40:26

Interesting.  Looks like Sooloos spun out of Meridien and taking their product to the masses.  I welcome any improvement within digital music interfaces, JRiver just doesn't do it for me.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/15 at 12:11:21

The folks that have seen the software are very excited, but there aren't many details because of Non-Disclosure Agreements.

I don't know much about J River, but iTunes doesn't do it for me as an interface for music browsing.  I would much rather walk up to my bookcase to get the musical journey started...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/14/15 at 13:39:17

One poster, Johno, over at the PS Audio forum is raving about JPlay6. . . thought I'd mention it here. His post below:

It's worth restating the importance of the transport system. Like some others here on the forum I recently assisted in the JPLAY beta 6 trials and run the release.d version. I must say the previous versions of JPLAY 5 to me in my system were not all that different in SQ compared to Jriver.

I was totally floored by the SQ and musicallity benefit JPLAY6 bought to my system. This has made it clear to me the PC is flawed as a transport system if the PC is not set with JPLAY.

To make this stand-out for you, the SQ and musical gains I received after installing JPLAY 6 was so similier going from the PWD mk2 to the DirectStream. It is not like a simple cable change! far from it. Also for many months I've been thinking I need to upgrade my amp and perhaps to the new PS Audio amp, this is on hold for me now. The sound comming from my DS and being amplified by my amplifier is so enjoyable and sounding more correct than I have ever heard. Crazy as it may seem a HiFi freind with and amp and speakers 100k + more than my own system, I am enjoying the sound from my own system more, this only came about after the JPLAY6 addition into my system. Also after many years of enjoying the easy functionality of jriver and jrmote I ditched both and use JPLAYmini as the player not as beautiful and feature rich but seriously way better SQ that is leagues better.

I use to see the threads about JPLAY reported as being a hoax by Jriver, as I did not really hear a difference in the earlier version of JPLAY I kept quiet. JPLAY 6 comes through strong and a clear winner as a serous PC transport software enabler, any PC user must try you will be so excited by the benefits it will make your DS sing like you haven't heard. Basically you have a PC foot break on if you haven't got JPLAY 6 operational. It's a must have – recommendation from me Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #4 - 04/14/15 at 15:19:47

Thanks for sharing Lon.  I will be looking into this immediately.

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #5 - 04/14/15 at 16:12:56

Thanks Lon, have you ever used Foobar2000? Luis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 04/14/15 at 16:23:24

Luis, I personally don't use any digital files at all, either from a drive, network or a stick or anything. I'm old school, all disc feeding transports. I tried a computer audio set up briefly put together by a friend who is a digital engineer. . . didn't sound better to me, didn't need the supposed convenience or portability. . . haven't bothered since.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 04/14/15 at 16:56:01

Same here Lon, old school DISC from Transport. I'll go one further. I like using my Sony DVP-NS57P into my ZDSD! Nice Resume function too.

I think the biggest issues are premium Cabling, the DAC/transformer coupled output to Steve's Amps, room treatment/but not obsessive...and x-over's in Speakers! 10k Speakers have crappy x-over's....let alone my $3750 Adagio's!

It was wishful thinking, I would like the stock Adagio's with its stock x-overs when I was running modded Vintage SDA1's in Stereo. Now, the Adagio's with Mundorf's....it is a whole other ball game! I look forward to tweaking my ERRx's. Maybe with Silver/Oil Mundorfs...we will see/hear.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport ****(DVP-NS57P)****
Illuminati D-60 Digital Coax IC
Decware DSD DAC / Recorder (@ -20 Ref Level @ 16/176.4)
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps (NOS/Platinum/Telefunken 6922/CCa/7308 for input tube)
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (NOS/Platinum/Matsushita / National PCC88 / 7DJ8 in A12 an B12 inputs)
Kimber Select KS3033 Speaker Cable
Acoustic Zen Adagio (Modified)
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo (91db) (Modified)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 an ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Transport, ZDSD an CSP3, Regenerated/118, 119 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)

Decware SE84CS (NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) ...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

*****Decware ERRx Speaker's coming in 2 to 3 weeks!

*****Acoustic Zen Adagio's x-over's Modded/Full Range with Mundorf MCap Supremes-on Tweets/4.5 cross
(Gutted: 3rd order Linkwitz R's....with all crappy parts = gone).

Oh, and before you laugh and dismiss this Sony Transport above: I've had in numerous Transports the past 21 years. CEC, Marantz, Denon and owned the DDS III AA. Plus, the PWT in!  This little guy....gets it done just as well...or I would own the others. Sony laser pic-up scheme baby! I have a couple extra's new in the box on the shelf.

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/14/15 at 17:16:32

Stone,

I'm using 3.9 silver/oil mundorfs with my ERR's and the sound is gorgeous.  It was and still is a great tweak.

JD

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 04/14/15 at 17:20:57

Thanks JD. I will order those. Zygi is shipping mine with Mcap Supremes. I will break in on those first.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 04/14/15 at 17:40:51

I'm using the Supremes in my ERR. Sound awesome. . . not inclined to change and go through more breakin! Smiley

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 04/14/15 at 18:03:27

I hear that Lon.....I'm so pleased with them in my Adagio's.....I might stay put with them in the ERRx. I am so happy I kept the Adagio's after witnessing EBay's 3rd party seller option/low ball auction.

Complete Serendipity happened with the Adagio's!  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #12 - 04/14/15 at 18:09:03

I got the 3.9 silver/oil mundorfs and supremes in my ERRs... so happy! Luis

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/14/15 at 18:18:59

Back on topic...below is a thread that was started in the CA forum.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/roon-labs-software-23986/

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/13/15 at 01:36:23

Official launch...there is a lot of excitement.  I like the 'why' are we doing this, which is to bring the joy back into browsing/listening to music, assuming the computer is your source, or will be in the future (which it likely will)...

https://roonlabs.com

Thoughts?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/14/15 at 02:12:27

@ Dave - The meta tag stuff and amount of info Roon retrieves for your music is pretty neat. For example just the way it sorts out multiple composers and instruments, who is involved with the writing and production, etc. makes JRiver green with envy.

However, too bad it doesn't do the same for other media, such as movies. I use JRiver to do my music as wells as movies and photos ... IMO it sounds and looks great while doing it and the interface is clean and simple. While JRiver can retrieve "most" of the important meta tag features that I want, IMO the extra stuff that Roon pulls up for you is undeniably cool.

That said, I like my media libraries all in one spot and JRiver pulls this off without much issue and don't want to be running multiple software programs for all my media libraries. So the added expense of paying for yet another piece of software that is more expensive than what I use now and being that it can only do music.  Roughly $49 a year for JRiver and it can handle just about anything you throw at it compared to $119 a year for something that can only do music ... I'm probably going to sit this one out until I can justify the cost and additional hassel of more software and media libraries in comparison. Undecided

@ Lon - while I can appreciate his enthusiasm for JPlay 6.  His post fails to say or give details to just what about JPlay 6 technology makes it so much better than JRiver. Since both JRiver/JPlay use bit perfect playback and both send a correct and accurate signal to the DAC ... Are there any further details supporting what he is hearing in further posts within that thread?

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/14/15 at 03:00:49

@beowulf....thanks for your thoughts.  Music is what is most important to me.  I am not currently a computer audiophile and I have never thought about videos on a server, so thanks for your insights.  

I love walking up to my bookcase, seeing a bunch of music, moving some discs/LPs around and ultimately finding something that fits my mood...

I think I need to experience this software for myself to understand.  It would take a lot for me to convert to a computer, and I am trying to understand if it is worth it...

Thanks again for your perspective.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 05/14/15 at 03:23:40

bw, actually I think the answer is no, nothing specific. Here are the results for JPlay6 from the forum:

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/?search=1&new=1&forum=all&value=JPlay6&type=1&inclu...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/20/15 at 11:51:07

If anyone is interested in a video run through of the software, see below:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/640-roon-roon-labs-video-run-through/

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print