04/26/24 at 19:44:51 

Poll
Question: solid core vs stranded, cloth or not

yes
no

« Created by: jeffiam on: 05/31/15 at 21:45:53 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Belden 8402 Microphone Cable (Read 155257 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Belden 8402 Microphone Cable
Reply #150 - 09/10/15 at 12:12:40

That is the eBay seller I have bought from 3 times now.  Answers questions, quick shipping.  Fair price.  He has raised it $.20 per foot since people heard of this wire but still within reason.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #151 - 09/14/15 at 22:48:33

Well I got the belden speaker cable.  I'll report on Thursday if I like it.

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #152 - 09/14/15 at 22:49:52

Give it a little time.  I liked it right off, but like it more now.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #153 - 09/14/15 at 23:17:01

Well my stuff is current production belden from blue jeans.  I've got some top shelf cables now so I've got a really good reference for good sound.

NAD 516/316 - Klipsch speakers. Complete cable looks by belden, kimber, monoprice.
  IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #154 - 09/18/15 at 03:05:08

First off these cables have a great feeling to them.  They're supple and feel great in my hands.  The sound is great with no burn in.  They are TONE MACHINES!!!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #155 - 09/18/15 at 03:21:32

It's always good to find something that gives you a boost.  I wrestle with whether tone trumps detail because I like both but right now I am in the tone camp.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #156 - 09/19/15 at 00:01:56

try some Mogami cable with Keith Eichmann bullet plugs... it will likely upset your understanding of boutique wire....

the connector and how the wire is connected to the connector is more important than the wire itself, as long as you use wire that meets well established electrical specifications for the transmission of audio signals between interconnected components.  

There's a reason Mogami cable has been the industry standard in recording studio's for decades.... Stop and think about it... cable designed to transmit tiny, minute, microphone signals over 10's of feet, in noisy environments, sometimes hundreds of feet.  Though those kinds of distances are handled wirelessly these days usually.

I've been up, down, across and around the world of boutique, audiophile approved wire over the past 35+ years... cables across the ranges of most well knowns, AQ, Kimber, Wire World, Goertz, Straight Wire long ago... blah, blah, blah.... too many to remember or enumerate here.  And even more I've never seen, nor heard.  There is no end to entities trying to capitalize on the insecurities of audiophiles when it comes to wire.

I will be the first to admit or agree that wire can, and does effect the sound I hear coming out of my speakers.  However, wire by itself, can only alter a signal that passes through it in a degrading fashion.  The goal is to alter/degrade the signal the least.  A wire cannot improve a signal passing through it.  Many boutique cables are actually designed to have "a sound".  They're passive EQ's in effect.  That's OK, if that's what you want, and you don't mind paying an 800-1000% markup over material & manufacturing costs.  But it seems to make more sense to use "accurate" wire, and spend your money on better components or components that more suite your taste than striving to alter the sound of your system with "wire" that costs more than the components connected on each end..... that's just not logical Mr. Spock.   just my .02₵

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #157 - 09/19/15 at 03:18:21

maddog07 wrote on 09/19/15 at 00:01:56:
the connector and how the wire is connected to the connector is more important than the wire itself, as long as you use wire that meets well established electrical specifications for the transmission of audio signals between interconnected components.  

How do you feel about no connectors?  Just naked terminations ... It wouldn't make sense to me that you could improve upon that no matter what the connector is.

IP Logged
Kboe

God is in the Music.

Reply #158 - 09/19/15 at 03:21:47

More and more I tend to agree with Maddog's assessment.  Find something that sounds like it's doing its job and stop there.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #159 - 09/23/15 at 00:16:28

when I was talking about connectors in an earlier post... I was speaking specifically about interconnects and RCA plugs, since the thread is about microphone cable.  And I have used Mogami microphone cable for DIY IC's for like 3 decades... the bullet plugs are a more recent development.

My experience with true balanced connections... is that the connectors and wire seem to be less important than for RCA cables.  I'm not saying I haven't heard differences between balanced interconnects of various brands and designs... just not as big a difference as with RCA(single ended) interconnects.

speaker wire - a different animal.  There are many people in the business... who have the education and experience to "know", and that espouse the use of bare/naked/un-terminated speaker wire.  If you are not using a foil conductor I think it is impractical to go naked.  You need to tin the ends of stranded wire or even the individual strands of a litz design to keep the wires from fraying, etc.  
There are some tellurium copper connectors out there(spades, BFA banana's, etc.) for speaker cables... which depending on the speaker wire itself, and if properly connected... I would think should not be detrimental to the signal carrying properties of the cable.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #160 - 10/30/15 at 20:56:30

By the way, I am going to try the WE wire in a power cord.  Jeff mentioned this in his blog so I figured I would give it a try.  I have enough left to do a short power cord.

P.S. I have always wanted to try those Eichmann plugs on some IC's.  I've heard good things about them.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #161 - 10/30/15 at 21:04:10

You should be OK as long as you verify the 16AWG wire is sufficient for the current being carried under load.
I also would play it safe and rate it at no more than 50% it's theoretical capacity and possibly cover the L/N conductors with something more difficult to accidentally expose the strands than that cloth insulation.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 10/30/15 at 21:13:34

Thanks, I'll dig out what that wire is rated at.  It may be printed on the cotton jacket.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #163 - 10/30/15 at 21:33:55

It's rated at 300V.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #164 - 10/30/15 at 22:20:22

But you need to rate the current.
Volts are important but the current is what generates the heat.
Your runs sound short so not nearly as much of an issue.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #165 - 10/30/15 at 22:46:36

Don't want to burn down the house.  I'm not sure how much the Torii draws.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #166 - 10/30/15 at 23:09:19

My guess is 16AWG is plenty but there are tables you can find on the web I am sure.
This one qualifies I think.
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #167 - 10/31/15 at 00:00:42

That chart says 16 gauge can handle 3.7 amps max. According to my PSAudio P5 (not sure of accuracy or if it reads initial cut on surges) most of my system plugged into the P5 is way less than that (1.67 amps). But look at the resistance compared to more typical audio power cords...maybe a 10 gauge on average....

My favorite cord is made of a lot of little silver on copper strands with teflon insulation...I think it was bundles of 20, 18, 16 and 14 gauge, the conglomerate totaling about 8 gauge. Twisted and damped, and with Rhodium ends, it sounded notably better to me going to the P5 than a PSAudio AC-12. It allowed the P5 to reveal more micro information.

Just wanted to mention the option of using more than one wire per neutral, hot and ground in case you decide the WE wire is safe.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #168 - 10/31/15 at 02:03:56

pal: Quote:
P.S. I have always wanted to try those Eichmann plugs on some IC's.  I've heard good things about them.

I made a Belden 8402 IC with switchcraft RCAs quite a while ago as per the Blog instructions. The thing I liked most about the Belden was the slightly warm and biggish body and bottom (I suspect due to the larger wire in part), its friendly midrange emphasis, friendly/open (though suppressed) highs... pretty accurate feeling timbre.

Nice cable, but it was just too limiting compared to what I was used to, my VHAudio recipe silver IC using KLE silver harmony ends. I used WBT silver solder on both.

The VH pure silver wire/design with the Silver Harmonies (pure silver and silver plated copper) are really amazing to me...very neutral, transparent and revealing without sacrifice to musicality. The more I compare it, the more I like it.

I had a similar thought as Maddog, wondering what a nice RCA would do with the Belden cable, though I have heard differences comparing good  wires so don't think the connectors are more important than the wire necessarily.

Having some Eichman Gold plated copper Bullets around, I put them on the same piece of Belden cable, it being burned in. I used WBT silver solder again. It is hard to say exactly the differences without being able to A/B directly, but even with brand new solder and RCAs, I heard the Eichmann RCAs let the cable breath better, letting through more complex information faster. I played them about a week in the main system, liking the big, warm sound with nice midrange presence and good highs.

But once I put back the VH recipe silver I was glad to hear all the Beldens were holding back. Once again, the silvers let through more fine information improving everything...air, speed, texture, subtle bass timbre, spaciousness, ambient information, soundstage, more accurate sounding timbre of all voices and instruments regardless.......but I did miss the seductive slightly bigger sound of the Beldens at first.

Again, not a great comparison though, not being the same RCAs, but they are family anyway. Cable to cable, I think the Belden/Eichmann is a respectable and friendly sounding IC. But at least here, the VH recipe with KLE Silver Harmonies (KLE is the new and improved Eichmann) is world class, outperforming the Belden in most every way without a downside to me. But my system is tuned to be very revealing, micro detail critical to the magic, so I could clearly hear the better transmission of the VH silvers, the vast complexity making the music feel extra real.

The main things this experiment did for me is prove that very pure, soft silver in cotton, with really good RCAs, is sweetly revealing without being hard or cool...accurate without a sign of rigidity...fast and unrestricted, it is revealing of all subtle info top to bottom. It just seems to let it all through bringing out beautiful music, textured and rich with complexity. The other thing the experiment made me want to consider is trying a 24 gauge VHAudio silver recipe IC (mine are 28 AWG), liking the slightly bigger sound of the larger gauge Beldens. Might even consider going all the way using pure silver KLE RCAs!

But as I listen now, I am totally satisfied with the 28 gauge Chris VenHaus chose for the recipe, so may never get around to the experiment! And I am enjoying the Belden/Eichmanns in my second system where they started for burnin, but sound really good.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #169 - 10/31/15 at 19:42:12

PS: Though this is all by comparison, my perception giving the VHAudio Silver the transparent and neutral designation, I think the Belden/Eichmann IC is quite nice if you want good quality warmth and increased body. To me "warm" is sort of like the audio equivalent of "warm and fuzzy"...like your favorite blanket as a kid...or comfort food.... in this case comforting sound.

This comes from a slight darkness, some emphasis on the mid-mids down in the balance, without feeling like the darkness muddles the sound. It softens the overall presentation in a warm (not cool) way, but still sounds articulate and detailed in the balance with a nice upper mid presence. The upper end detail must sound natural, but may or may not be a little restricted (or less in the balance). If there are limitations of fine detail and the highs they may be more recognizable by comparison rather than sounding unbalanced. Who knows what warmth is, but this is how I think of it.

This IC does this in my system. Also increasing body it sounds warm, biggish, and detailed with slightly heightened emphasis mids down.

In the all important indicator of ambient information it is similar... I hear more mid to low high ambient cues...more around the players and less broader spacial information...less "air." It is quite a nice sound, though not necessarily "transparent and neutral."

The VHAudio silver/KLE IC, though not cool or hard here, seems to have no particular color. Fine detail is not restricted in any way, rather, complex and balanced. There a less mid-down emphasis and less "power" (I think likely from the bigger Belden wire) overall, part of what I perceive as increasing body and mid emphasis in the Belden/Eichmann.

It is hard to describe the subtleties of sound. I hope this helps. Wink

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #170 - 11/01/15 at 12:45:44

Thanks Will. What do you think it cost you to build for VHaudio?  I have been intrigued by that recipe for some time.  If I remember correctly, he sells all the ingredients on his site.

Just as a test I put my decware sliver back in.  I lost bass definition which surprised me.  So back to the Belden I went.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #171 - 11/01/15 at 19:52:29

VH Audio sells some good stuff, they have OCC copper and silver.  They silver by itself sounds a little thin to me and I can more appreciate a blend of silver and another metal such as gold or just copper by itself.

The only silver wire that truly stood out to me as special is the Duelund Silver Foil/silk in oil.  This has a special sound to me that is full bodied and what I like to call a "tone monster".  It's on the warmer side of neutral and may not work with all setups though.  I only used one set from my DAC to Preamp, the McIntosh D100 is Sabre based and a although very detailed a little on the forward side and adding the Duelund really took the edge off and gave me the best of both worlds for this particular DAC.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #172 - 11/02/15 at 04:11:17

Palomino

I am not sure if the bass definition thing is that the Decware ICs go deeper, pushing the Torii/room tolerances, or something else. But I have experienced this too. Here the Decware silver has a little too much upper mids up, and a little too thick down low for me.

The VHAudio recipe is not cheap, but it uses world class materials, really good design theory, great damping, and was carefully arrived at by Chris Venhaus' experimentation. I have not heard the Duelund wire BW speaks of so can't comment, but I have been temped by this wire for the Torii signal path. Also Chris V seems quite open to email questions should you have some.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

You would have to do the math but I think 200 give or take depending on length, buying enough wire for two sets or one, and the RCAs used. I did see the KLE Pure Silver are at a good price on the VHAudio site, just a bit more than the lesser valued Silver Harmony I have from partsconnexion. Whether worth the money is not a question for me, but with your love of the WE and Belden in your system, it sounds like you are in a good place for your musical pleasure!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #173 - 11/02/15 at 18:54:32

Thanks Will.  That won't break the bank.

I did some measurements on my room this weekend using just a couple of iphone aps.  I played around with some equalization doing some A/B to see if it hurt the image/soundstage.  So far, I haven't heard a negative impact.  Eric has mic that I might borrow and do it right with REW over the holidays.

Also, I found this link when looking for soundstage demo music on the web.  I only have the Muddy Waters and Eva Cassidy discs so some discs to explore.

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-audiophiliacs-top-music-tracks-for-testing-speakers...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #174 - 11/02/15 at 20:40:54

If you want more transparency with the Belden wire, some KLE RCAs should be interesting. But with what I gather your system/room presents, if you really want to hear it all, I feel like the VHSilver recipe will show it...Question is if that will be pleasing! Might take some adjustment.

It would be interesting to see what Chris Venhaus hears differently with his 24 gauge silver/cotton wire, bigger than the 28 in the recipe. I wonder because I tend to like thinner wire ICs better, less pushy. Grover's allow a bigger transmission across the range, a mixed blessing to me. But that cable has a mix of wire materials and who knows what does what in the sound balance. On the other hand, the the bigness of the Belden is pretty nice here. Though I have found several bigger wire ICs sort of in the face, VHAudio silver is so smooth, I wonder if it may be good bigger?

Just talked myself into emailing Chris. Will report back on that.

I have found EQ through Pure, Audirvana, and Amarra excellent tools though the Amarra I tried would not allow other EQs than their own. It sounded great put was too limited for me with only 3 EQs.

I prefer Apple AUfilter over highly appreciated free EQs I have tried. AUFilter comes up as a choice in Audirvana. It is quite transparent and has a lot of power with 3 parametric EQs that you can adjust the width/steepness down to very fine adjustments and a high and low shelf (or cut). I use pretty narrow Qs (like .1 - .45 octave, usually the narrower) for precision. I also like the high and low shelves on each AUfilter. With the option for four of these modules with Audirvana, you can do some serious fine tuning if inclined.

I think the only way AUFilters will negatively effect your soundstage is with the wrong frequencies cut or increased. Alternately you can potentially increase it with the right ones by reducing masking or heightening attenuated good stuff.

Interesting list of speaker tuning tunes. I think I have the Kronos CD around here somewhere, but none of the others.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #175 - 11/03/15 at 00:44:19

I sent the following to Chris VenHaus: "Now I am wondering about a pair using KLE Pure Silver (nice price!) and perhaps 24 gauge wire. I like the transparency and speed of the 28s and am not sure about the bigger wire, the thought of the experiment being going for more tonal density and sense of power. Is this a real possibility based on your experimentation? Any down sides to the bigger silver? Lot’s of times I find bigger IC wire a little brash and in the face, but your silver is so smooth, I am thinking this may be different???"

Chris' reply: "Yes, based on what you’re saying, I think the 24 AWG would be a great fit for you. It will have  bit more weighty presentation, but is still small enough AWG to allow delicate/refined highs to pass through, without incident. Generally speaking, between the 28 AWG and 24 AWG, I think most people prefer the 24 AWG for this sense of greater weight, with effortless micro textural details and airy highs. Also agree that my silver is different than most. Often described as ‘buttery smooth’ ; -)"

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #176 - 11/04/15 at 02:17:25

BTW, Just in case anyone gets interested in Eichmann or KLE RCAs, look around online for ideas on how to solder without damaging the delicate plastic casing. The encased metal is very minimal on these ICs, I think to reduce mass, so when the metal gets hot it can soften the fit in the casing. On my second ones (after messing the first set up a little) I put them on an RCA plug to dissipate the heat while soldering.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #177 - 11/11/15 at 21:34:28

BTW, I did make up a power cord with the WE16g.  I think I prefer it slightly to my PS Audio AC9.  A little more musical (or so I am telling myself).

At any rate there is not much difference between the two in my system.  I don't know if that says bad things about the AC9, good things about the WE16g, or bad things about my hearing.  Maybe its a combo...

Anyway a fun experiment and I'm leaving it in until I hear a reason to switch back.

Oh, and no fires yet.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #178 - 11/11/15 at 21:41:50

AC-5 maybe? Or a Pangea AC-9?

Congrats on the no fire!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #179 - 11/11/15 at 21:44:03

Sorry AC5.

Yes, quite proud of the no fire thing.

BTW, I still run the AC12 to my Power Plant.  I suspect that has a bigger impact than what runs from the PPP to the amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #180 - 11/11/15 at 21:48:40

I agree. Before I settled on and managed to corall AC-12s everywhere in the system I played around with other PS Audio, Shunyata, Analysis Plus, TARA Labs, Decware, and MAC cables. Quite interesting results various cables various places .  .  . but I preferred the AC-12 in each instance and with the system fully equipted with these I'm not tempted to play around with power cables any longer.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #181 - 11/11/15 at 22:05:08

I didn't really feel a burning need to do anything, but I get updates to the Jeff's place blog and I've been fascinated by the WE16g wire.  He tried it in interconnects, so I gave it a shot.  Same thing with the power cord.  As speaker wire, I think it offers the most benefits.

But I guess I do have a need for more good quality cords with the addition of linear power supplies on the DAC, the Mac mini and now the Regen, but don't have the cash.  I only have three "store bought" cords and those were purchased used.  All the rest are DIY.  I may try switching them around a little to see which sounds best on each component.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #182 - 11/11/15 at 22:20:29

Yes, moving them around could yield good results!

I know you have monetary concerns that I don't and have done really well with what you have made and acquired second hand. (I've acquired a lot of second hand cabling myself). Being able at two periods of time to spend quite a bit I'm glad I experimented with the VooDoo Cable line and with the power cords that I did. . . even if that means a few boxes of cables not in use right now! I really have found a synergy that I don't want to mess with, in fact other than perhaps upgrading my vinyl front end a bit in the future, and installing a few more of the VooDoo Cable Iso Pod footers, I'm really not inclined to make changes. No DAC tempts me as the PS Audio DirectStream still floors me, no amp or speaker tempts me as I have the amp and speaker compatibility and marvelous sound that I want. And though I probably will start selling some components and speakers, it's nice to know that with just a trip to the storage unit I could set up another system, in fact another two or three systems. That's a comforting sort of "headroom" to have. Life is good, I feel blessed (and in the way of life partners, friends and family as well) and should ride the crest of this wave as long as I can. I hope all of us feel or will feel this way.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #183 - 11/11/15 at 22:25:12

I may have a little money come year end.  A Direct Stream would still be out of reach, but I have been reading about the Yggy.  Tempting.

Last year I bought the Torii III and that has certainly been a good investment.  I just have to be very selective.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #184 - 11/11/15 at 22:33:56

Understood. I'll be very selective in the future as well. . . don't want to mess with the synergy of the components I have.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #185 - 11/21/15 at 23:45:12

Seems Jeff made some power cables from the Western Electric WE16GA and was not entirely pleased with it citing they were too forward. http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=8618 

In return he is going to try the Belden 8402.  Will be curious to his findings as a lot of you guys are taking advantage of this wire.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #186 - 11/22/15 at 12:46:25

I am still using the we16g power cord. I am not noticing the forward sound Jeff notes.  Then again, my system is a little forward sounding to begin with.  

I bought a fair amount of this wire and will try it in various things.  So far still the biggest impact as speaker wire.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #187 - 03/15/16 at 11:55:24

I had tinned all 8 ends of the WE sp/cbls and was very happy. My friend Nigel has an i/c project on the go and was asking me what % silver I had in my solder. It started playing me up......does the solder inhibit the flow of the WE`s through the connections ?
I snipped all the ends off and bared the ends again. Straight WE into the sp bananas and sp posts on the amps.
I heard more detail, faint detail, mainly treble, JJ Cale seems to have endless amounts to be discovered.
But....a tad on the bright side. Fingers crossed that it will all settle down with some hours.
Perhaps the `new` bright is how it ought to be and I`ve been listening to a slightly lower mix. It`s funny how our ears can acclimatise to accept.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #188 - 03/15/16 at 12:25:44

ive been running the we10ga bare, amp to external crossover, with very good results.  ive tried various termination, but like them bare the best.

also have a full set of 8402 ic's that i made over the holidays.  like them very much too.  using the switchcraft rca's.  i have much more expensive ic's laying around doing nothing now...

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #189 - 07/13/16 at 23:30:01

Guys, it seems as though the original WE WE16GA wire is getting scarce and almost extinct.  Duelund has stepped up to produce something very similar sounding (though not as inexpensive as the WE).

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=9488

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #190 - 07/21/16 at 08:15:06

More info from Jeff's Place concerning the new Duelund Wire.  This wire "should" be very close sounding to the WE wire that is almost extinct and very reasonably priced IMO.

"Parts Connexion will be pricing the Duelund Coherent Audio DCA16GA wire at an introductory price of $9.95 USD per meter for the first 30 days after they receive it. The link to order the new Duelund Coherent Audio DCA16GA just went live at Parts Connexion here, so get it while you can!"

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #191 - 07/21/16 at 11:43:17

Thanks for the info beo.  Might be interesting to buy some to compare.

IP Logged
DrN
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #192 - 07/27/16 at 03:05:41

I have some of the Duelund cable coming, I'll comment more when it arrives.
The WE 16 is nice stuff!

Pathos Classic One mkll Usher Cp6371 CA Emotion CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Falcon PS Heed Quasar AT33PTGII Cambridge CXC Schiit Yggdrasil Itona Curious link
WE16ga SC Belden 8402 Int Wywires Litespeed SPDIF Juice "Silver" Series SC and interconnects out for now
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #193 - 08/15/16 at 21:58:26

I saw a post where Jeff stated that he like the new wire better than the WE wire.  So if you want to try out this sound, it sounds like its a good option now.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #194 - 08/23/16 at 01:04:00

I purchased some 10g western electric wire to run as speaker wires off the crown amp to my augies.  I didn't like it.  So this weekend I tried it in a power cord.   I had already tried the 16g and liked it.  I think the 10g bests it in all areas except fine detail. The bass boost was so much that I had to recalibrate the crown.  Anyway just an option if somebody wants to give it a try.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #195 - 08/26/16 at 03:15:57

pal,  haven't tired either in a power cord but have as speaker cables and like both (10 and 16ga).  can't really say i can tell a difference.  guess i have to make some pwr cords!

note one thing i noticed they are both way better bare with no connectors.

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #196 - 08/27/16 at 22:57:50

Hey guys, another audio writer (Jack Robert's of Dagogo) speaking highly of the new Duelund DCA16GA wire.  12 meters of wire for only $120 bucks ... this is a great deal for those on a budget.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #197 - 05/24/18 at 11:43:53

:)  A brief interlude from the main feature.

Yes, those lazy, hazy days of the WE16gwa speaker wire & Belden 8402 were good fun...and very productive.
I`ve finally gotten round to making up four pairs of IC`s with the 8402. I used 16 inexpensive Gothic Audio silver, lockable rca plugs.
So far I`m liking them a lot. Already there is extra bottom end fill and density, and they are pleasantly listenable. As with all system changes I`m hearing stuff popping up. Lot of burning in to do.
And the whole system has more blackness than before.
Syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print