04/19/24 at 19:09:13 

Poll
Question: solid core vs stranded, cloth or not

yes
no

« Created by: jeffiam on: 05/31/15 at 21:45:53 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Belden 8402 Microphone Cable (Read 154955 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Belden 8402 Microphone Cable
Reply #50 - 05/19/15 at 18:55:42

Thanks Will.  I will put a few twists in to see what I hear.

I believe that the wire is only now starting to show it's true potential.  I don't feel there is congestion down low.   Some of the timbre/texture promise of the wire is coming through and there is more detail.  The soundstage was originally a concern and that has blossomed as well.  Overall, the best descriptor remains "musical."

This wire may just be some kind of audiophile freak of nature.  This weekend I will put it in my second system.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
ozoid
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 05/19/15 at 19:19:50

I wasn't the one who started this thread with a link to a post from Positive-Feedback-Online.com writer Jeff Day's blog, but I read it regularly and comment occasionally. I too have bought some WE16GA speaker cable although I only have at present a PSB desktop system that's limited to its captive cables.

I posted this last night on the comments connected to Jeff's initial post about the WE16GA and the Belden 8402 and I thought those who are reading this thread might find it interesting.

It turns out it takes a stronger man than I to buy speaker cable with nothing to connect it to. So while the future listening room is still occupied (this is actually a very good thing, all things considered) I looked around my temporary listening space and concluded that there was a viable, if not quite optimal, way to fit in a pair of Omega Alnico monitors.

When I spoke with Louis, I mentioned the WE16GA and your experience with it. He immediately recognized the cable. I sent him the URLs for this and the Decware thread, as well as the eBay link, and he intends to buy some for himself. He uses a Swedish cable for the internal wiring and I decided to go with his stock wire. Then we discussed cabinets. I noticed that he occasionally offers non-standard driver combinations and cabinet sizes as one-offs, and he explained that while the market generally prefers a narrow baffle, he personally prefers the sound of a wider baffle. So following his expertise, mine will be 24″ H x 14″ W x 9.5″ D, rather than the standard 20″ H x 11″ W x 14″ D.

There’s no room for an MC-225 and an ARC SP6c, much less an LP12, so I’ve also ordered a 2-wpc Decware SET using a NOS Russian milspec SV83 output tube. (EL84s also work) Designer Steve Deckert recently re-designed the transformers so they’re flat to 80kHz. “There’s just more detail,” he explained to me. I’ve heard one of Don Garber’s X SETs several months after I heard the Decware, so I’m hard-pressed to describe the difference, but I liked both. The Decware is usually equipped with two inputs, but I’ve asked for one input converted to a second output, in case I choose to use my PSB subwoofer for a little extra low end.

The Decware can function without a preamp. unlike Garber’s X, and with more than a TB of music on the HD and less than 20 linear ft. of LPs, I can wait to bring the record player online.

Neither Omega nor Decware sell through dealers in the U.S., but Louis and Steve (I understand they talk on a regular basis) were very generous with their time so I was able to spend a few hours with each of them to listen to their equipment and hear them talk a bit about audio. Louis doesn’t have a real listening room, but a Chicago-area Omega owner was kind enough to invite me to listen to his Alnicos, using my MacBook Pro-Audirvana Plus-Meridian Explorer.

Among the great pleasures of returning to fine audio has been becoming acquainted with these dedicated audio engineers. (The characters assembled for the Garrard Project felt familiar) In addition to Louis and Steve, I’ve also corresponded with Paris-based Damien Plisson, the creator of Audirvana, for which I’ve lately served as a beta tester. I’ve read that Audio Research restores older models like my SP6c, and will even update them to some extent. Since the closest Linn dealer is outside Milwaukee, some Chicago-based audiophiles have identified a local LP12 expert who will revive my record player. And, of course, I’m looking forward to acquiring one of M. Beauvais’s restored MC-225s once everything else is in place.

Getting the cable first seems a bit strange, like my dad used to say about his alma mater, the University of Oklahoma: the school tried to be worthy of the football team. I think the Omega & Decware combo will match what you said of the WE16GA: “rich, musical, detailed, dynamic, and with a very good sense of timing, tempo, melody, that makes music sound very artistic, engaging, and dramatic.” It won’t be a Porsche, much less a Ferrari, but like a Mazda MX-5 in the Appalachians, it will be great fun.

Thanks to the proprietor (Art Dudley too) for helping me to focus on finding gear that can present recorded music like I imagine it can. Or at least assure me that I’m not crazy to think so.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 05/19/15 at 20:58:12

I`ve just made up a 4ft pair of sp/cbls out of the WE`s. It took all of 10mins. I shut the amps off and did it, put in around 10 twists each, went bare to the amps and used bananas with screw clamps for the speakers.
I put the same album back on, Cookin` M. davis.
Great ! Considering they`re new they lack in nothing but a bit of cleaning up through burn in.
Lively, musical, punchy bass a little boomy but the powers there to convey the big bass.
Now M. Knopfler "Trackers". His voice sounds more clear. Now I`m going to listen to the album.....

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 05/21/15 at 20:54:24

The grain which made them sound a bit dirty has gone now. I`ve just taken all of the twists out and the bass is tamer, so I`ll run them parrallel with some small lengths of heat shrink to keep them together.
For the money they are a masive bargain. I`m going to keep them in for a very good run and may keep them in. The treble, cymbals, aren`t quite there yet but they are far from run in.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 05/22/15 at 03:17:03

Hey Syd. Sounds good. Are you using a single 16#wire per connection, or two? If only one, it is interesting that the twists made such a small wire too bassy. Also, I have only noticed twisting to clarify bass, not make it boomy. It can seem bigger to me, but I have associated that with the increased impact from tightening it. Your experience makes me want to try it again and listen more carefully. It may depend on the wire too....sooooo many variables. Anyway, thanks.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 05/22/15 at 12:51:19

I was playing a jazz album Will, and the bass was boomy though moving air very nicely so I took all the twists out and put on a rock album, live K. Crimson. The bass was still coming through very nicely but seemed more controlled. I`m still waiting for the heat shrink to be delivered and when I run the two cables parallel I`ll still be able to put some twists in to experiment further. Just one WE 16g lead per terminal.
I originally bought the cable to make up i/c`s and have enough left for a metre pair and am waiting for 2 pairs of rca connectors.

As speaker cables they are brighter than my Isoldas but this could be that the slightly over-metallic zing to percussion is just due to their newness. They`re throwing a big picture or rather they`re not shy to show their stuff. Again, lively and dynamic.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 05/22/15 at 15:43:10

I found them a little bright at first. Now smooth.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 05/22/15 at 17:02:54

If parallel, I wonder what putting them 8-10 inches apart might do. Seems like a lot of folks do either this, or twist to limit interference... I used my Styx spread apart for a while, and suspended off the brick floor, so must have heard something....can't recall what or how much though. May be worth a little experiment to see if it does anything beneficial.

It seems to me spk cables tend to clarify a bit in the bottom and relax mids up with burn in...more open, smooth, and textured. I wonder Palomino... Do you think your somewhat loose bass has changed as the top smoothed?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 05/22/15 at 18:01:29

Bass has tightened up a bit which is weird.  Tuneful.

I just installed another set in my cottage system. Sounds really good right off the bat.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 05/22/15 at 21:08:13

I`ve taped the cables together at 4" intervals and swopped a smooth TFK 12AU7 into the ZP3. Sounds nice. I have put my EL34`s back in for a change so this would account for some  bass weight. Piano and sax have a bold presence and the percussion, well I`ll find an album that highlights it to see whats what.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 05/23/15 at 20:13:19

I`ve just ordered another 25ft. Now I can double up on the sp/cbl leads or run a pair as bi/wires.
I put the Foton 6p3s-E`s back in the Rachaels and everythings good again . Sit back and enjoy the music.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 05/23/15 at 21:30:57

As you may know, to bridge the Rachaels you join the +ve sp trmls with a length of wire. Some time ago I realised i could take out the input furthest away from the sp trms being used and the sound didn`t change. I dont know what went wrong but suspect it was from an ill fated attempt at bi wiring which left a blown power tube. Anyway, to compensate I joined both sets of sp trmls together +ve to +ve and neg to neg, just using a stiffish wire about 12g.
Same operation for the WE 16g.
Just now I took the 12g out and cut new lengths of the WE so that each sp cbl had a pair of wires joined to their ends which went to their respective pair of polarities.
I lowered the needle on a live Traffic album and OMG. Forget about soundstaging, stuff was happening all over. The guitar was almost behind me, top left and the rest of the band were in free form. The room was filled up.
Bit down to earth now with Bill Evans Waltz With Debbie, but it`s still the best I`ve heard it. Theres more intimacy, just more of everything.
These cables are making  a big difference in my listening.

I`ve just put Robert Wyatts " Cuckooland" on. Amazing. The rooms completely filled up with a 3D wonderland.
This is the sound I`ve dreampt of for 40 yrs.
Steve, you are a genius!!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 05/25/15 at 11:20:58

I think that during my on the fly wiring I managed to cross one of the speakers + to -. This resulted in the bizaar situation where the soundstage reversed itself from behind the speakers to in front. So I was sitting there as if in the middle of the studio with voices reigning down upon me.
I made all the joins good with silver solder carefully traced all the polarities correctly and now we`re back to normal. Or I think so. I`ll play one of the albums tonight which had the `reverse` effect.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 05/25/15 at 23:29:52

Hey Syd,

From your magical report I was wondering about a polarity shift. How are things going as the wires get some time on them. Also, do you think you can hear the silver solder? I suspect at least part of the idea is to make the ends more durable, but I was able to hear it when I added silver bananas to some cables I modded. The change was from copper spades on copper wire, and even though bananas are supposed to be a lesser quality connection, I could hear better sounding transmission.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 05/26/15 at 14:20:05

I can definitely say that these speaker wires sound even better with some time on them.  Highs smooth out and bass tightens.  Soundstage grows.

I put them in my second system this weekend and its the best I have heard that system sound.  I did too much pure listening to be analytical enough to describe what I am hearing.  Just very musical and "correct."

These are my speaker wires for now.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 05/26/15 at 14:28:54

I am going to continue to completely agree with the comments written here.
If nothing else, the value of these cables is going to be hard to beat.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 05/26/15 at 16:00:56

Pal, What is your previous reference?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 05/26/15 at 16:37:03

DIY Zen Styx terminated with silver bananas.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience here.  Prior to the Styx, it was DIY Canare 4S11 and prior to the Canare, it was some monster stuff.

I'd like one of you guys with higher end wire to give this WE wire a try.  They blog poster seems to like it as does his source, the Japanese amp designer.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 05/27/15 at 14:30:27

I keep meaning to do a more detailed, analytical analysis of this wire, but despite my best intentions, I end up simply sitting and listening.  It's not like I am dumbfounded by the detail, soundstage, etc.  It's just pleasant listening.

My only thought today is that is could be on the warm side of neutral.  If I ever get my butt out of the chair, I will swap back in the Styx to do a proper A/B.  The Styx may be better in terms of front to back soundstaging.  

If either turns out to be true, like I said before, I will likely choose to live with it given its other merits.

There is a CDApS meeting brewing that will either be at my house or I will take the wire to another members place.  That should give me another data point or two.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 05/27/15 at 17:20:51

I suppose I have higher end wire, the Townshend Isoldas. I allways thought these as being with me for life. Since the WE`s have been in place I`ve kind of forgotten about them except for making a mental note to compare them...one day.
Actually I`ve allready had the idea of making up my Nephews Christmas box with them and the MP3 downloads I`m accumalating. I`m sure he`ll find good use for 3m of good cable, he can throw out the old Rega cables he got from me.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 05/29/15 at 21:36:16

I`ve made jumpers for my speakers with the WE`s.
They`re replacing a thin gauge silver litz type.
More air in the bass and more authority.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 05/29/15 at 22:51:48

Quote:
I'd like one of you guys with higher end wire to give this WE wire a try.

Well I recently moved solidly into the "higher end." Though a good buy on used Synergistic Research Copper Elements, I had great sound, so it sort of surprised me that these cables "caught" me. But they use a really interesting combination of state of the art design, materials, and method, so I decided to give them an audition.

A cool blend of wires and tech, they have little tuning circuit "bullets." There is an active DC powered shield, designed to solve capacitance, EMF, and RFI. Best I can tell, the tuning circuits are a buffer between the shield and a ground wire, this ground wire being separate from the signal ground. So it appears not to be in the signal path, but you can hear the bullet changes quite clearly. One is more neutral and the other more open and extended. GEEKY, but the tuning potential is my kind of thing. They are warmish, extended, exceptionally revealing, smooth....and as best I can tell without noise, smearing, distortions....

I am thinking these SR cables will be hard to beat! Even so, you all jazzed my curiosity. Supporting a diagnosis of audio nutter, I am on day six of WE wires burning in in my workroom system.

I got enough to double up, making it 13 gauge. This wire may be the exception, but every time I have tried really small speaker wire, pulling less bass makes them revealing, but I miss aspects of the bass. After a few more days of running them continuously I will experiment with single runs, double, and also twisting.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 05/29/15 at 22:59:08

I will be most interested in your findings.  I have been intrigued by the Synergistics.

I twisted mine today to see if it made a difference.   I am not hearing anything different really.

I don't note any bass differences with this wire vs the 8 AWG styx.

I put Rachael in the system and its a little bass light, but more transparent.   Not as warm either.

I am wondering if the WE will be too light on the detail/too liquid for you.

As mentioned earlier, I try not to get too analytical with this wire.  More like a painting you just sit back and take in versus looking at all the brush strokes.  Still enjoying it.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 05/29/15 at 23:33:32

Looks like he has bumped the price up to $1.39 per foot on eBay.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 05/30/15 at 00:00:59

Your experience with these cables is very interesting. Twists not being heard would be a first for me, and a 16 gauge being as bassy as an 8 gauge also...but I am just fine with firsts! In my settings, as long as the bass is enough, less could actually be a benefit. And it seems "enough" is only a part of the feeling and sound of bass, each cable I try being different in its presentation.

The painting being the intriguing focus rather than strokes sounds good to me and says quite a lot. The reasons why seem more for other's reference rather than our own.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 05/30/15 at 13:18:27

Will, I am obviously smitten by this wire, so I'd discount everything I've said except the overall impression of musicality.  I have a hard time being technical about it.

Just this morning, I got up saying I was going to do some hard core A/B.  Didn't happen.  I settled in the chair and only emerged when nature called.  Maybe I'm just in my happy place.

On the blog, there are people that are getting different sound out of twists vs no twists.  I also think there are people experimenting with various gauges of the wire.

The ebay seller seems to be doing well.  When the blog broke, he had sales in the 10's.  Now he's in the hundreds of units and raised the price.  So there could be the lemming effect going on or people like the wire.

I anxiously await your impressions.  I just don't know if I am brave enough to read them.  I don't want to come out of my happy place Wink

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 05/30/15 at 16:54:18

That is so great Palomino! Being "captivated" by the musical experience, other intentions falling away, sounds like a "Zen" experience to me. My old teacher used to call it "merging subject and object," in this case, the distinction between the music and the one experiencing the music becoming vague or lost. Sweet acknowledgment for the name "Zen Amps," and your style of "Zen" System having been nurtured into a place that can provide your "happy place." Awesome!

IP Logged
ProggRob
Seasoned Member

CDApS Member

Reply #77 - 05/31/15 at 13:28:50

Bought 60ft of the black this morning to replace my crossover leads.  Hopefully Palomino and Raven will lend a helping hand!

Baetis Revolution II -> HFC CT-1E Digital Cable -> Denefrips Terminator -> Black Cat Setsuna XLR -> LTA Ultralinear Integrated -> Black Cat Setsuna SC -> Betsy Alnicos
Bass: 4x Hawthorne Augies w/ 2 Rythmik amps
Power: TWL 7+ and Digital, UberBUSS, Furutech Outl
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 05/31/15 at 14:37:52

I sling a little solder  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 05/31/15 at 15:23:33

I've been reading about the WE wire again...a dangerous thing...and have a question...maybe a dumb one.  Why 16 g tinned stranded.  There is Western Electric  copper solid core wire and also larger gauge wire available.  My reading has found some who believe the unique properties may be due to the cloth insulation.  Am I correct in assuming this isn't made of the super pure copper or OCC copper, etc....just plain old tinned copper strands...really old, from the 70's to the 90's.  I'm no longer skeptical about sonic differences between wires just curious about this WE wire.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #80 - 05/31/15 at 16:13:15

Some would say that cotton wrapped wire is the closest to "nothing but air".

16 AWG might be a sweet spot for that gauge and type of copper.

Add the two together and you might have something special.

That's my speculation at least. I've not tried this wire. I've got so much other stuff to address right now.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 05/31/15 at 17:20:09

LR,  actually the 26 strands of tinned copper have a plastic covering over which is the cloth outer cover.  See Pic.  I hope Pal is bringing his WE cables to your listening session so we can get two or three more opinions.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #82 - 05/31/15 at 17:32:13

Oh wow, so the cloth is only for show? That makes me wonder then...

I've got spools and spools of that stuff for guitar amp building. When I'm restoring a vintage amp that uses cloth wire, but the wire has become unsafe due to dry-rot, I replace it with stuff that looks just like that.

I'll have to pull a spool out and see.

The next CDApS meet is at Palomino's house today at 2pm. So we'll be hearing his wire probably exclusively.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 05/31/15 at 18:06:49

Good LR,  I'll look for your impressions of the WE 16g wire later tonight, before going to bed.  I'm still on the fence.  I've got so much Audio Crap around, I would hate to add more that would eventually end up in a storage box.  I've been using a pair of Nanotec speaker cables for the last 5 or so listening sessions in the Cave and have been very pleased.  The Zu Audio Libtecs I previously had, I discovered were part of my trouble with over emphasis of the High End.  The Nanotecs impart a warmer sound while still being quite detailed...just not as bright on some recordings as the Libtecs are.  So I'm curious about if the WE wire could be even better.  The reviews here have me curious, I have to admit.  Mark.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotec6/1.html

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #84 - 05/31/15 at 18:25:40

Maybe best you just enjoy what you have?

I too have boxes of audio stuff, left unused. So I know what it's like to want to experiment and learn. Unless you have time, and can afford to throw away money...maybe it's best to just enjoy what you have? See out bigger improvements rather than small tweaks that wind up in a box?

jeffiam
Verified Member

Reply #85 - 05/31/15 at 21:45:53

Thought same thing about vintage WE solid core and plastic coating i've seen. so the cloth is really not covering the tinned copper, is just cosmetics. thinking 14 ga instead of 16 ga?

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 06/02/15 at 23:16:11

All I know is on Jeff's blog, the fellow sent Jeff the 16GA and other gauges are readily available.  I may have commented above that I found the higher gauges for sale in Asia and they seemed to garner a pretty good price as well.

Unfortunately, we did not A/B speaker wires at CDApS.  Nobody commented about the wire one way or another.  One exception was that Raven commented that some of the stridency he recalled from his last visit was gone.

For me, it was $50 so I figured, what the heck and gave it a try.

I may use the wire I bought for my second system to double up and see how that sounds.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 06/03/15 at 04:01:55

jeffiam wrote on 05/31/15 at 21:45:53:
Thought same thing about vintage WE solid core and plastic coating i've seen. so the cloth is really not covering the tinned copper, is just cosmetics. thinking 14 ga instead of 16 ga?

As far as the poll I'm assuming Solid Core = Yes ~ Stranded = No?

I've had better results with stranded and find that I get more micro details and trail reverberations than with the solid core wire and perhaps a bit more bass with the solid core.

I also find it interesting that it has a poly and/or plastic coating as I didn't really realize that.  I wonder if you post on Jeff's Place in the comments section and ask him to confirm that the stuff he used also had the same coating?

At any rate, people seem to be digging it regardless and for the price it has great bang for the buck factor IMO.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 06/03/15 at 08:33:54

The original pictures from the blog definitely had the white coating.  But I am not convinced it's a poly/plastic material as we think of it today.
If the wire was truly designed 60+ years ago the white coating could be made of a paper like material and/or natural rubber.
From the Certified Home Inspection website:
Quote:
Typically these are type RH conductors which are tin coated copper with a rubber insulation and a "cloth" covering. The tin keeps the copper from reacting with the rubber.

So the properties of this older "coating" are most likely much different than our standard "plastic" coatings of recent history.
By the way, I read it's unlikely you will find a lot of wire insulated with only cloth as it turns out cloth is a good insulator until damp or wet. Then it becomes a good conductor!  :o

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 06/03/15 at 11:09:59

I thought the poll was cloth (yes) or not (no). Thats my No.1 yes vote just because the cable is excellent and if you want to try other gauges and/or solid cores then go ahead but why the effort when the groundwork has already been done by those that settled on the 16g as the optimum a long time before we came apon it.
I also read that the plastic sheath is a rubber of sorts and probably is different to todays coatings and may add to the chacteristics.
Shame that the other colours dont seem available anymore. Half a dozen colours were made.
The source on e-bay says they`re from WE offices. How much can they keep finding? Google WE16g image search and all other sources are from Japan and asia. Loads of it....where do they get it from ?

My cables, after 30 hrs are sounding organic, balanced, alive.
Very quick as well. Listening to the last track side one of Santanas Caravanserai the bass player is playing 1/16ths or 32nds and I could pick it out easily as well as a antother guitair playing a couple of runs in the background.
Eric Dolphy`s `Out There`has incredible room cues of little echoes and trails. The most I`ve ever heard thus far.
I also find that there is an air of mystery to them. I put records on and wonder more about whats going on. It`s like getting caught up in a `happening`more than any cables I`ve so far used.
And....the Decwares are delivering.....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 06/03/15 at 15:28:27

Seems like one of you should bid on the WE
Cable Division tie clip now on the 'bay!

_57_004.JPG

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 06/03/15 at 15:36:57

Nice!

The guy selling the wire should buy it.  He's a bit of  fanatic.  He may already have one though...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 06/03/15 at 16:32:42

That's a relic from the past!
I remember my dad would receive a tie tack with fake stones in it marking every 5 year anniversary at his company.
After 47 years and 9 tacks they shuttered the place.
Maybe they ran out of CZ!  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 06/06/15 at 13:47:51

Well,  I decided to pull the trigger this morning after reading some of the posts here again but when I went to the sellers store he has shut down...no items for sale.  Apparently he is on vacation.  Anyway,  those who have been using this Western Electric 16g wire for a while, could you please give a brief note on your findings to date.  By my count there should be at least half a dozen here that have this in there system.  

I would vote in the poll but am rather ignorant on the subject.  I think the few speaker cables I've used have all been stranded with some kind of plastic covering...in the case of the Libtecs, then an outer cloth sleeve.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 06/06/15 at 15:40:24

All I can say Mark is that you wont be disappointed.

Meanwhile my 2nd length of cable hasn`t arrived yet.....didn`t know he was on vac...he must have posted it off  before he went.

Undecided    

Theres no print on the cloth and it looks so old that the cloth weave has left an imprint on the rubber. If you weren`t looking I`d buy it.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Electric-Cloth-copper-multi-Wire-10Meter-16GA-...

What am I talking about theres more than one.
I`ll have a length thanyou !

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 06/06/15 at 15:50:25

That's either been used (who knows where) or been sitting exposed to "some" elements.
The wire I received from the vacationing seller looked pristine and matched the original postings. He had red and black.
Personally I would send him an email via Ebay and tell him you would like a notice on his return and that you would like to get x of red and x of black, etc., etc.
Unless you have zero decent cables already (and I doubt that) I would just wait. It's worth it in my opinion for the price.
The good stuff didn't have a single kink, fold or blemish to the cloth jacket.
So not only does it sound better than any of the old, cheap Monster cable I was using, it looks nice too.  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 06/06/15 at 16:48:04

Syd,  that yellow/green cable looks horrible...plus it's an Asian seller...Hope you're joking.  I wouldn't order it.

Core32,  I did leave a note with the seller.  I had his listings saved but they had been closed down and didn't allow an order to be placed.  Hopefully when he returns the same listings will reappear without another price increase.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 06/06/15 at 17:01:27

Mark, sellers are knocking WE cloth cable out that is pre 1900`s and looks as rough as a bears backside. .....and it aint cheap.
I cant wait to try it out !

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 06/06/15 at 17:20:16

Syd, if the wire was made with the same specs in the 80's and 90's why would some older be worth more?  Besides the seller most here have bought from is selling unused wire made in the 80's and maybe 90's.  I'll be interested if you've read the older wire sounds better and why...what properties are speculated to cause the difference compared to the newer cable/wire.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 06/06/15 at 19:49:46

Just put it down to how ennamoured I am to the 16g Mark.
Listening to Burell and Coltrane...it`s popping.
I wouldn`t imagine the older copper has magical properties or a placebo effect. I dont even know if the green cable is 50 60 70 or 80`s or whether the tooling altered or even if the older cables are held in higher regard.
So why buy it ? It`s dirt cheap, I have more `pristine` 16g on the way, so when I see green, not red, not black, I think OK I`ll have a pop.
They shouldn`t sound different...but will they.

Looking at mine now, they`re pink. Light red was one of their colours.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print